ADVERTISEMENT

What game(s) are you looking forward to the most this season?

1. Dinwiddie @Salem, Dinwiddie @ TD
2. Monacan @ Manchster vs. LC Bird
3. Norview @ Lake Taylor, Phoebus@LT
4. Indian River @ Kings Fork
5. Salem @ Blacksburg
6. JF vs. GW Danville
7. Sherando vs. Martinsburg
8. Louisa vs. Charlottesville
9. Lafayette vs. Smithfield

That should cover it. Wish I could see them all. Great matchups.

Excluding games that I won't be able to attend in person due to their distance:

Sherando vs. Martinsburg—Sherando will be a heavy underdog here, but if they can't keep it respectable they won't be a playoff threat.

Sherando vs. Millbrook—Millbrook thought they were hot stuff until they ran into Salem last year and got annihilated, and they're playing an even easier schedule this year. Still, they should be 9-0 (or 8-1 at worst) headed into the last game of the season. With the addition they got at QB in the off season, they should be as good or better than they were last year. Hoping this will be another classic.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
My honorable mentions:
Dinwiddie vs Smithfield/TD/MBK/Matoaca Magna Vista vs. JF/GW
Dan River vs Magna Vista/Appomatox
Hermitage vs Highland Springs/Manchester
Massaponax at Matoaca
Appomattox at Colonial Heights
Highland Springs vs. Varina/PH Ashland
And of course all of the Seminole games will be good!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Bird / TD
Herm / HSHS
HSHS / Riverbend
Mon / Bird
Mon / Man
Man / Hermitage
Louisa / Charlottesville
Dinwiddie / TD
Dinwiddie / Salem
Kings fork / Indian river
Laf / Smithfield
Hampton / Woodside
Oscar Smith / Vero beach Fla
Varina / Motoaca
Sherando / Martinsburg WVA
Salem / Blacksburg

My honorable mentions:
Dinwiddie vs Smithfield/TD/MBK/Matoaca Magna Vista vs. JF/GW
Dan River vs Magna Vista/Appomatox
Hermitage vs Highland Springs/Manchester
Massaponax at Matoaca
Appomattox at Colonial Heights
Highland Springs vs. Varina/PH Ashland
And of course all of the Seminole games will be good!
I'm glad you mentioned Appo at CH. I figured everyone would think I was nuts if I said I was interested in that game. It will probably be a blow out, but something about it intrigues me. Maybe it's because it's a first time matchup? It's next to the last game of the year for CH, so if Coach Edwards has got his boys believing, they could keep it respectable. I would love to see this game to finally get a look at Appo, but I'll be down the road at Dinwiddie at Hopewell. (Second year in a row for Dinwiddie at Hopewell.)

Martinsburg @ Sherando doesn't sound very fun to me this year, the Dogs would win 4A in Virginia easily this year. We will be lucky to stay withing two or three Td's.
Millbrook @ Sherando will be a good game.
Most interesting game on the board are the ones you all have already stated , the Salem Dinwiddie game is naturally very interesting. Louisa Charlottesville is also very nice game to watch, has Charlottesville taken the next step over the hump?
Anyway, glad you guys are talking football, and we all hope Salem doesn't get all the best recruits.;)

I'm glad you mentioned Appo at CH. I figured everyone would think I was nuts if I said I was interested in that game. It will probably be a blow out, but something about it intrigues me. Maybe it's because it's a first time matchup? It's next to the last game of the year for CH, so if Coach Edwards has got his boys believing, they could keep it respectable. I would love to see this game to finally get a look at Appo, but I'll be down the road at Dinwiddie at Hopewell. (Second year in a row for Dinwiddie at Hopewell.)
I think Appo gets a lot of hype. I wouldn't be surprised to see an upset depending on how CH looks up front and at the skill positions. I also know that CH plays a very difficult schedule so they will be up for the challenge. I think it'll be closer than a lot of people think. If you have athletes and discipline then imo you can play with Appo.

I agree with you , except athlete and discipline are what makes up all the great teams in this state. Appo deserves respect , but do they have the depth to win that game, I would say they probably won't need the depth in that game , Appo by 2 scores .
I watched Two full games of Blacksburg on you tube this past weekend , the RB is fast and is there offense. Take him out , wasn't impressed with diversity in the passing game. Depth will hurt them in 4A this year. Good teams will be able to contain the RB somewhat, then force them to pass. I am not sure I saw the skills outside to take the attention off of the RB . Just my opinion, but if you go back and look at the the quality teams the last three years or so ,they could beat you in different ways. I thought Bkacksburg offense was centered around one kid to much.

I agree with you , except athlete and discipline are what makes up all the great teams in this state. Appo deserves respect , but do they have the depth to win that game, I would say they probably won't need the depth in that game , Appo by 2 scores .
I watched Two full games of Blacksburg on you tube this past weekend , the RB is fast and is there offense. Take him out , wasn't impressed with diversity in the passing game. Depth will hurt them in 4A this year. Good teams will be able to contain the RB somewhat, then force them to pass. I am not sure I saw the skills outside to take the attention off of the RB . Just my opinion, but if you go back and look at the the quality teams the last three years or so ,they could beat you in different ways. I thought Bkacksburg offense was centered around one kid to much.
Sort of like WB.

Reactions: hamspear
Salem 42. Blacksburg 14 half. Nothing needs to be said concerning this discussion. Blacksburg must improve a lot to play with the best 4a teams, who ever they are (Salem may or may not be one of the top teams this coming year)

I think Appo gets a lot of hype. I wouldn't be surprised to see an upset depending on how CH looks up front and at the skill positions. I also know that CH plays a very difficult schedule so they will be up for the challenge. I think it'll be closer than a lot of people think. If you have athletes and discipline then imo you can play with Appo.
I wouldn't go that far DSH. You are right, they play some pretty physical teams in the Central District. They opted out of playing Thomas Dale, but still have 5a Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Prince George, 3a Hopewell, and Petersburg, all before Appo comes to town. So they sure as heck won't be in awe of the Raiders. But...!

I think the world of Coach Buzz Edwards. He is giving CH the best chance they have had in a long, long time to field a truly competitive team. But it won't happen in one season. It will take several years before they will be able to compete with top teams like Appo.

Tiquest Terry is the best player on Blacksburg's offense imo but teams do so much to try to take him away. He is one of the biggest reasons the running game opens up the way it does. WR Coffey is a returning junior like Terry and he is pretty good on the outside. You might have happened to catch a couple of games where they weren't as productive but for most of the season they were very effective.

You think they could win va 4A running away? What classification are they in WVA?

People don't realize Martinsburg is a West Virginia team 15 minutes across the Virginia line. They don't play like a WV Team, they play like a Northern Va Team, like a Tuscarora, Westfield, stone bridge type of squad.

This. They outscored their opponents in the playoffs last year 203-7, and will be far better this year than they were last year. No one stays within 50 of them in West Virginia if they play anywhere near their potential, and they'd likely run away with the 4A championship in Virginia this year. If Sherando beats them somehow, they will make it to the final game.

Sort of like WB.
Blacksburg is more versatile offensively than William Byrd was last year. I'm not saying they'll do better than Byrd did last year, but Blacksburg has a good spread offense. Beck isn't the total offense. The QB Johnston was like 6'4" 200 last year as a Sophomore. (His dad was the QB at WVU from '93-'96) His go to WR is Terry, who is small but nearly as fast as Beck. Another good WR is Coffey. They have a couple of other good WR's in Babcock, Wise, and Vangilder to complement the spread. They have an excellent kicker in Wise. They have their top tackler back in Vangilder. They have 2 good returning DE's in Orndorff and Driscoll. Their pass defense is very solid with a lot of interceptions in big games.

Last edited:
People don't realize Martinsburg is a West Virginia team 15 minutes across the Virginia line. They don't play like a WV Team, they play like a Northern Va Team, like a Tuscarora, Westfield, stone bridge type of squad.

I think your right about that... When I hear WVA I think of somewhere in isolation. That north east pocket of WVA is a normal area.

I agree 100% with both statements. Appo to me wouldn't fare well in 4a. They have pieces. I'm a firm believer that you can win with pieces in the lower divisions. Take the trio of Entsminger, TJ Washington, and Rivers off of Sherando and put them on Strasburg.. I bet you they play for the state championship. Put Pope and Freeland on Brunswick or Greensville County, they're going to do the same.. I don't expect Appo to drop off that much .. Scroggins and Graves are the real deal... I also watched a few Blacksburg games on YouTube as well and I think they are good but would definitely be a "contender" in 3a. Beck is an outstanding player. They remind me of the GW Danville and Courtland teams. Very good athletes but not many pure football players like you're going to see at Sherando/Salem/Dinwiddie/LT. They just don't have the depth and the pure hard nose football players as the top teams in 4a. They'll more than likely be 9-1/8/2.

Martinsburg @ Sherando doesn't sound very fun to me this year, the Dogs would win 4A in Virginia easily this year. We will be lucky to stay withing two or three Td's.
Millbrook @ Sherando will be a good game.
Most interesting game on the board are the ones you all have already stated , the Salem Dinwiddie game is naturally very interesting. Louisa Charlottesville is also very nice game to watch, has Charlottesville taken the next step over the hump?
Anyway, glad you guys are talking football, and we all hope Salem doesn't get all the best recruits.;)
Millbrook@Sherando will definitely be a good game, they always are.

Salem @ Blacksburg: Time to see what Salem's made of this year and if the Bruins are for real, Salem 28 Blacksburg 21

James Monroe @ Charlottesville: A solid out of district opponent comes down to test my Black Knight's and see if we're even better then last year, Charlottesville 35 James Monroe 31

Dinwiddie @ Salem: At least a top 3 4A matchup (maybe #1 and #2) to give us excitement in the regular season, and a rematch of the state championship always adds to the suspense...Salem 24 Dinwiddie 21

Millbrook @ Sherando: The test to see if Sherando it really back or not, and to see if they can avenge that barn-burner loss in their last game in 2016, Sherando 38 Millbrook 28

JF @ GW: Another test game, to see if JF is back in full force and to see if the Eagles can live up to all of @DanvilleSportsHead's expectations :D, GW 31 JF 30

Manchester @ Monacan: A big Richmond area game to see if Monacan can make some noise this year, after a one point loss last year, Monacan is sure to come out firing at home, Monacan 37 Manchester 30

I'll add Dinwiddie vs Smithfield.
I think Dinwiddie takes this game but if Smithfield can hold their own and knock off Lafayette the following week then there isn't much left to stop them in the regular season. Smithfield will finish 8-2, or 9-1.

I agree with you whole heartedly bmonape1. I am a worry wart anyway, but I look for Smithfield to play my Generals tough. They have some talent and sound coaching. I just hope we arent look ahead to the Salem game. Have to stay focussed each week.

I agree with you whole heartedly bmonape1. I am a worry wart anyway, but I look for Smithfield to play my Generals tough. They have some talent and sound coaching. I just hope we arent look ahead to the Salem game. Have to stay focussed each week.

Smithfield has a very impressibe "collective set" of athletes. They have Four or five 8's and one 9. There are prettier girls in the world but its hard to find a flock of 8's and 9's roaming around. You walk in that bar and take a seat!

Smithfield and Kings Fork could drastically change the balance of power in 4a this season. The emergence of those two could tip the scale to the east

Wasn't there a post or a story the other day talking about the potential that Kings Fork brings to the table this year?

Pride, I know you are being loyal, but I think the Foxes will be greatly overmatched in Leesburg.
If you are just glad it will finally be time for some football, I'm with you there!

And BTW, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT