ADVERTISEMENT

What is the +5 percent on the ADP numbers?

Keith_Stone33

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2013
In looking at the 2017-2019 adp numbers, I see some teams in 2A with more students than some in 3A. Then at the cutoff figure there is a +5 percent added in. Can someone explain this please?

Also, it burns me up to see that Riverheads will be in 1A for another cycle. It'd be nice if they were in 2A with most of the other schools in the area. I'd also like to see Fort Defiance drop down to 2A so that all the staunton/augusta county schools would be 2A... Perhaps when the county re-districts soon they will even the populations out and the wish will be granted

Keith, what are the numbers for students at the local high schools? I am not sure what the cut off is for each division so I am curious. Are the figures you refer to public?

I also took a look at what the regional playoff setup will look like and it is very favorable for Riverheads and Altavista in 1A - Region B... One of those 2 will go to the state playoffs every year in every sport as long as that regional setup stays as is.

Thanks, it works.

I thought there was a plan in place already to annex some of Wilsons students to both Draft and Riverheads. Maybe that would have moved some from Fort too but I was under the impression that the county wanted to balance the schools. Not just for sports but for better and more even distribution of monies and services. Your guess is as good as mine. I had every expectation of being 2A again.

Thanks, it works.

I thought there was a plan in place already to annex some of Wilsons students to both Draft and Riverheads. Maybe that would have moved some from Fort too but I was under the impression that the county wanted to balance the schools. Not just for sports but for better and more even distribution of monies and services. Your guess is as good as mine. I had every expectation of being 2A again.
Thats what I had heard as well due to Wilson experiencing some growth. It would make sense for the reasons you mentioned to balance it out for sure. I never know what our county leaders are up to anymore lol...

Also, check out how odd the regional setup looks for 1A and 6A :

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-final-24-region-alignment-plan1.pdf

In looking at the 2017-2019 adp numbers, I see some teams in 2A with more students than some in 3A. Then at the cutoff figure there is a +5 percent added in. Can someone explain this please?

Also, it burns me up to see that Riverheads will be in 1A for another cycle. It'd be nice if they were in 2A with most of the other schools in the area. I'd also like to see Fort Defiance drop down to 2A so that all the staunton/augusta county schools would be 2A... Perhaps when the county re-districts soon they will even the populations out and the wish will be granted
This is the explanation of the 5% "rule" from the handbook...

PM SECTION 10: CLASSIFICATION (5-15)-Beginning with the 2015-16 school year,
at the mid-point of a four-year cycle a school will remaiin in its current classification if the school is no more than 5% above the highest school's previous ADM within the classification in which it had been assigned

http://www.vhsl.org/about.vhsl-handbook

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT