ADVERTISEMENT

What makes a good coach?

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
There is always so much talk here about which teams have a "good" coach and who is a "good" coach. So I was, wondering, what determines if a coach is a "good" coach?

Last edited:
not in any particular order

A person that makes kids believe in the program, on and off the field
A leader
One that adapts there scheme to the kids he has
A person that is accountable
A person that makes his kids accountable

Agreed with all but if they don't win or win on a consistent basis it doesn't matter about those you've listed in the eyes of many.......That's the sad but true part

Agreed with all but if they don't win or win on a consistent basis it doesn't matter about those you've listed in the eyes of many.......That's the sad but true part
I can agree with that...but, there's always a but, isn't it? LOL
Getting the kids to buy into the program and believing in it, often requires winning. Without winning, doubters start chirping.
I've seen some coaches that were absolutely great role models for the kids, but the teams just didn't have the talent to compete with teams in their district, but hose kids fought like hell every week. Doesn't happen often. Unfortunately, winning seals the "buy in" most of the time.

Reactions: BullRunFootball

A leader
Great list Rev...

Reactions: Rev_Real
Depends on which context you are asking that question in I think...I'm sure you'll find on this message board many former players that played for a less than stellar winning record football team and when they reflect on their respective coaches, the measure wasn't in wins and losses but who their coach was and what they meant to their development on the field during that time frame and their life lessons that that coach taught them about picking themselves up when a lineman had pancaked them and ready for the next down in the game or next down in life when it knocks you down!
Or you may referring to wins and losses and I would be compelled to agree with Rev_Real and I would have an answer in the form of what I saw as fact. In 2014 Lake Taylor played Salem in 4A state title game at Liberty and I saw a huge Salem front line that bent a LT defense for a few possessions but never broke them and then I saw a pure talented LT team go to work and beat Salem like I had never seen a team do...Credit to Coach Sawyers who seemed to have done his homework and had athletes galore to pull it off...fast forward to 2015 and I saw the same matchup in the state title game and I immediately thought blowout LT again with even more talent but this time Coach Magenbauer did his homework and that Salem team was a "team" that banded together not saying LT wasn't, but I saw heart in that Salem team that bent but never broke and that's a testiment to kids who are willing to buy into the coaches coaching and looking on each side at a band of brothers who are willing to do anything for each other. Salem pulled off a win I thought was impossible! But those kids didn't think it was impossible! Rev_Real I think is dead on.

Getting the kids to buy into the program and believing in it, often requires winning. Without winning, doubters start chirping.
I've seen some coaches that were absolutely great role models for the kids, but the teams just didn't have the talent to compete with teams in their district, but hose kids fought like hell every week. Doesn't happen often. Unfortunately, winning seals the "buy in" most of the time.
That is what happened in King George last year. I think the kids have bought in and they have gone from 1-9 to 2-0 so far.

A leader

I'm not sure that adapting a scheme would be a part of it, at least not for all. Casto at Riverheads is a perfect example. His scheme hasn't changed, but he has had a lot of success and the main reason they win.

Reactions: Shabutie and gwb16
I'm not sure that adapting a scheme would be a part of it, at least not for all. Casto at Riverheads is a perfect example. His scheme hasn't changed, but he has had a lot of success and the main reason they win.
Execution, perfect execution, every down, every snap, every step, players in position to make the play, players in position to disrupt a play, teaching those kids WHY they need to be there...all big parts of the equation as well. I remember playing for Coach Brookes at King William, his philosophy was, IF we lose, it won't be because they were better prepared or in better in shape. I can't even tell you how many times we looked across the LOS and saw our opponents gasping for air bent over, just wore out and we were standing upright, laughing, ready to go. He ran our guts out and we were conditioned like crazy. We never ran out on the field thinking we were going to lose. NEVER. It just never factored into our mindset. Yeah...we lost some games. KW didn't win a state title until many years after I was gone, but we helped build that "we're going to punch you in the mouth for 4 quarters" attitude. Because Coach Brookes and his staff made us believe in ourselves...he was selling books of matches to the devil...LOL

Sad to say, but charisma is becoming more and more of a necessity. A coach has to be good at the recruiting of his halls in so many cases. There are too many other things that kids can be doing and football is hard work.

As participation numbers continue to fall, a coach's ability to get the kids to come out and play is vital. But you also must not be fake or using charisma to cover up other deficiencies in character or leadership. Kids can usually see right through that. But if you genuinely care about the kids, they will run through a wall for you.

Last edited:

It's the most "loaded" question in all of sports! I've seen a lot of so called "bad coaches" go to be extremely good when a great crop of kids come through. I've also seen a lot of "good coaches" go to being "bad coaches" when the talent pool isn't there. It's laughable at times.

In my humble opinion......"good coaches" are the ones that are graced by communities and fan bases that actually get the big picture. That is needed for any coach to be successful and to ride the ebb and flows that high school sports brings. Look around and you will find that to be the connection when added by the qualities that Rev speaks of..........

Good luck to y'alls teams Friday!

Good Players
Great Assistant Coaches
Supportive Admin
Good Feeder program
Community support
Coaches who believe in the kids and support them. Coaches who do not curse the kids or humiliate them in front of the other players

Reactions: gwb16
It's the most "loaded" question in all of sports! I've seen a lot of so called "bad coaches" go to be extremely good when a great crop of kids come through. I've also seen a lot of "good coaches" go to being "bad coaches" when the talent pool isn't there. It's laughable at times.

In my humble opinion......"good coaches" are the ones that are graced by communities and fan bases that actually get the big picture. That is needed for any coach to be successful and to ride the ebb and flows that high school sports brings. Look around and you will find that to be the connection when added by the qualities that Rev speaks of..........

Good luck to y'alls teams Friday!

That is exactly right. I can't tell you the times I have echoed that to people, and even said something to a few when they talked about how a coach sucks. Well he didn't last year, exactly what do you think he forgot how to coach, or got worse?

That is exactly right. I can't tell you the times I have echoed that to people, and even said something to a few when they talked about how a coach sucks. Well he didn't last year, exactly what do you think he forgot how to coach, or got worse?

Heard a great and true story years ago when Gregg Williams was the DC in Washington. I have some friends who coached at Loudoun Co at that time when his son played at LC. Loudoun was a bit down and parents were all complaining about the coaches to Coach Williams.....Gregg Williams stands up in the stands and says "I don't know why you guys are complaining about the staff as they are trying win with our gene pool...so it's our fault"

Crickets in the stands afterwards

A good teacher first. Someone who takes practice seriously, and builds fundamentals daily. Develops players. Knows how to use data to improve coaching. Gives kids credit, defers accolades to players and not to himself/herself. Admits when they are wrong. Counsels players instead of berating them in front of the team. Keeps discretion when appropriate. Goes to clinics instead of YouTube. Always learning new trends. Manages during a game instead of coaching. Makes adjustments. Gives praise on the small stuff. Praises all players. Hard on every player when necessary...not just subs who may not get playing time when they make a mistake. Has no favorites. Respects players. Builds connections with the community. Respects themselves and others. A decent human being. Need more?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT