ADVERTISEMENT

What makes the Highland Springs defense so great?

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
As I've been looking up info and video of the Richmond-area teams, I can't help but notice the Springers' defense. The line is big, but at first glance everyone else looks like a small JV team. I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all! That's just an observation at first glance. I'm curious about what has them clicking so well. They look fast, but it seems as if they would struggle against a power running team, or a team with big receivers. The thing is, they've played those types of teams, and have done well. Perfect examples are the Hanover and Henrico games. Both of those teams make HS look tiny. So what is it? Strength, fundamentals, heart?

One thing, there are not tiny off the line! They are fast with good fundamentals. They have good pursuit to the ball, tackle well and hit hard. Patrick Henry moved the ball on us in the 1st half, but stalled deep in our territory. 2nd half they really couldn't move the ball. Henrico, LD and Hanover couldn'gt rdo anything against the defense.

I'm still amazed at how the Hanover game was over at halftime. With or without Cheatham, that's very impressive with how huge and physical Hanover's line is.

Reactions: springer76
I can tell you what makes the springers defense so good. They are lock down on the edges. Play sound gap defense. Run to the ball. And have a chip on their shoulder. They have an edge about them. Very impressive from high school kids.

Really think HS has the offense and plays just enough defense to beat Bird if they were to meet in the coming weeks. Won't be easy, but if there's a team to decrown the king, it's the boys on S. Oak Ave.

Last edited:
Reactions: springer76
Really think HS has the offense and plays just enough defense to beat Bird if they were to meet in the coming weeks. Won't be easy, but if there's a team to decrown the king, it's the boys on S. Oak Ave.
Probably should have beaten Bird last year. It was a 2 point difference on a last second field goal.

I would expect a similar war if they play this year. Of course, there's always Hermitage looming.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Yeah that was a great game last year, could have gone either way. I was hoping Herm and HS would play in the second round this year and Bird would get the winner, but looks like that won't happen.

As I've been looking up info and video of the Richmond-area teams, I can't help but notice the Springers' defense. The line is big, but at first glance everyone else looks like a small JV team. I'm not trying to be disrespectful at all! That's just an observation at first glance. I'm curious about what has them clicking so well. They look fast, but it seems as if they would struggle against a power running team, or a team with big receivers. The thing is, they've played those types of teams, and have done well. Perfect examples are the Hanover and Henrico games. Both of those teams make HS look tiny. So what is it? Strength, fundamentals, heart?

No mystery: Good players well coached.

Have seen Highland Springs three times, including their shutouts of Hanover and Lee-Davis. This team has a better chance of coming out of 5A South than last year's team due to the improvement of the defense. They cleaned up issues on being drawn offsides by Rasharrd Harris in the Atlee game, their speed negates the sweep, and their strength up front is finally proving to be a team strength week in and week out. My only concern is peaking early.

This team is quietly confident, they don't yack a lot on social media, they go out and make their statements on Fridays. Fun team to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT