ADVERTISEMENT

What teams are scrimmaging each other on the final Friday of the Football Pre-season?

Apr 12, 2021
I would greatly appreciate it if you would post who your favorite high school team is scrimmaging this Friday and then report the results after the game. Thank you, Dave at Raiders Radio

It's my understanding from the Southwest Times that Lord Botetourt, Pulaski County and Jefferson forest will have a scrimmage at Lord Botetourt tonight at 6pm.

From the Roanoke Times:

FRIDAY, AUG. 20
Benefit games

E.C. Glass at Franklin County, 6 p.m.

Rustburg at Patrick Henry, 6 p.m.

Martinsville at Carroll County, 6 p.m.
William Fleming at George Washington, 7 p.m.

Magna Vista at Salem, 7 p.m.
Floyd County at Bassett, 7 p.m.
Cave Spring at Galax, 7 p.m.

Giles at Christiansburg, 7 p.m.
Tunstall at Hidden Valley, 7 p.m.
Liberty at Northside, 7 p.m.
Spotswood at Staunton River, 7 p.m.
Rockbridge County at William Byrd, 7 p.m.
Auburn at James River, 7 p.m.

Fort Chiswell at Marion, 7 p.m.
Patrick County at Eastern Montgomery, 7 p.m.
Bland County at Twin Valley, 7 p.m.
Chilhowie at Tazewell, 7 p.m.
Lee at George Wythe, 7 p.m.
Rural Retreat at Castlewood, 7 p.m.
Jamborees
Blacksburg and Abingdon at Glenvar, 5 p.m.
Jefferson Forest and Pulaski County at Lord Botetourt, 5:30 p.m.

Covington at Independence (W.Va.), 6 p.m.

It was either 4/4 or 4/3 in TD's scored with Laffy eaking out one more. Ct has issues with DB's on defense, did not play well, sluggish and did not attack, going to be a problem. Biggest overall issue, Ct lost stud RB to bad knee injury and was on crutches last half of game. He was having a field day up until that point. Laffy was good as usual for reigning 3A champ.

Salem was "leading" Magna Vista 35-0 at half, and scored with the 1's on the 1st drive of the 2nd half. This was a benefit so it was played in a game format. My takeaway was not that Salem dominated, which they did, but that Magna Vista didn't offer any real resistance. I'm not saying that to insult anyone, but just saying MV could really struggle this year outside of a few district games.

Salem was "leading" Magna Vista 35-0 at half, and scored with the 1's on the 1st drive of the 2nd half. This was a benefit so it was played in a game format. My takeaway was not that Salem dominated, which they did, but that Magna Vista didn't offer any real resistance. I'm not saying that to insult anyone, but just saying MV could really struggle this year outside of a few district games.
The Piedmont District will be horrible this year. It’s really sad.

What was the final score of MV-Salem? Everyone down this way knew MV wouldn't be as strong this year, so you're not insulting anyone by stated what you did. Just probably didn't have to say it, I'm sure it was very obvious they didn't belong on the same field as Salem. And the Piedmont will be weak this year. GW will walk thru it with no problem.

What was the final score of MV-Salem? Everyone down this way knew MV wouldn't be as strong this year, so you're not insulting anyone by stated what you did. Just probably didn't have to say it, I'm sure it was very obvious they didn't belong on the same field as Salem. And the Piedmont will be weak this year. GW will walk thru it with no problem.
With the 1's it was 42-0, the final was 49-0.

Something I found a little odd was MV had 40 kids on their roster, but only right at 30 on the field/sideline.

GW same story different year. 2 or 3 guys who can tackle on defense, suspect line play and poor game management and play calling. Don’t see them within 3 TDs of Dinwiddie next week.

I noticed that 17 of the 40 on MV's roster were either freshmen or sophomores. So he may have left some of the younger ones at home. Probably some jv kids going to dress with the varsity on Fridays. Or injuries or illness who knows in these times. Sports in general have fallen off in this area along with the population and other factors that cause kids not to play. Not an excuse, the kids that do play compete as hard as they can, the talent pool has almost dried up.

I noticed that 17 of the 40 on MV's roster were either freshmen or sophomores. So he may have left some of the younger ones at home. Probably some jv kids going to dress with the varsity on Fridays. Or injuries or illness who knows in these times. Sports in general have fallen off in this area along with the population and other factors that cause kids not to play. Not an excuse, the kids that do play compete as hard as they can, the talent pool has almost dried up.
I just noticed that- 6 freshmen on the roster. Even teams like Salem have smaller overall rosters than in years past. If you look at the roster there are 10 Soph on ours. Of those, 4 are starting or playing significantly.

Reactions: Realtalk78
Sad thing is, MV probably has the most kids in the district if they have 40. GW has 38 on their roster and it didn’t look like no more than 30 dressed out last night. In the last decade MV beat Salem twice (The ONLY Piedmont team to beat Salem in the past 20 years) and won two state championships. It’s insane to see their program like this. I said it on the 3A board, Bassett is now Henry County’s premier team. Hasn’t shown in Ws yet but the shift in talent and the Brandon Johnson Factor is real!

Bassett has a good qb and rb this year but their numbers are down and they don't have alot across the o and d front lines. And calling them the premier team in Henry Co is like crowning them the tallest midget in the county. The programs might get a little more depth when they close Martinsville high after reversion but it will be very little.

Reactions: Realtalk78
Bassett has a good qb and rb this year but their numbers are down and they don't have alot across the o and d front lines. And calling them the premier team in Henry Co is like crowning them the tallest midget in the county. The programs might get a little more depth when they close Martinsville high after reversion but it will be very little.
I could see the Dawgs beating MV this year. That year off hurt but Martinsville has some impressive looking athletes from what I’ve heard from a very reliable source. Hopefully Trey Beamer can win them #16 in basketball before reversion. Would suck to see him in a Bassett or MV uniform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT