ADVERTISEMENT

Where to eat in Martinsburg

Here is my out of town fan guide.

First off, be sure to get to the high school early. Bulldog Field is not spectator friendly, as the high school is an urban campus. There is not much parking to go around and many MHS fans will sit on the away side, as the bleachers are actually bigger than the home side and it is located closer to the concession stand and bathrooms. Speaking of bathrooms, be sure to use the bathroom somewhere off-site before the game. It’s old and it’s musty. The stalls don’t have locks on them (don’t know about women’s side of things but I do know about then men’s side). The faucets barely work. And it is pretty likely there will not be enough paper towels to go around. If you have to, be sure to bring some hand sanitizer with you. Standing on the fence surrounding the field is usually a standing room only type of thing. Expect it to be extremely packed as it is the first game of the year and Salem will be seen as a formidable opponent.

Be sure to avoid Apple Harvest Drive (dysfunction junction, right off of Exit 12) from 4-6 PM and lunch time. There is usually a lot of traffic and they’re currently doing construction there as well.

On to the food side of things

Fiesta Tapatia would probably be my choice if I was traveling on in. Best Mexican food in Berkeley County. The guys who run it have been in business for nearly 30+ years and have made a lot of money off of real estate, selling their old restaurants and having a fresh start. There is a reason locals keep coming back despite the name/location changes. It’s also conveniently located right off Exit 13 and is approximately a 5-7 minute drive from the high school.

Angelo’s Pizza is also very good. It’s a tiny bit closer to the stadium and is also right off Exit 13 on Foxcroft Avenue. It is Brick Oven Pizza and they’re the one who sell pizza at Bulldog sporting events.

The Asian Garden and The Peking are two solid Chinese spots. The Asian Garden has good lunch specials and you don’t have to pay for parking as it is off of Exit 12 on Foxcroft Avenue. The Peking is more upscale and is located right in downtown.

If you’re looking for a sub, go to King’s Pizza. I personally think they have some of the best subs in town. I am not a fan of their pizza as it is really greasy but I will admit it is an acquired taste. It is located off of Exit 14, about a half mile east of the hospital.

The Olde Country Diner serves execellent home style cooking. Their gravy is fresh and they serve chicken livers. I would go there if you’re looking for something simple. It is located off of Exit 12. Get on dysfunction junction and then make a right on Winchester Avenue. Turn right in to the plaza where Johnnie’s is located and it is the little gray building.

I would not recommend Bob’s for any out of town fans. It is good food (I would not get a sub there, I would get a Taco Pizza) and has been in Martinsburg for a very long and is a staple in town. But the thing is, it is a carryout located in a very seedy part of town. If you were to try eating in your car in their parking lot, a homeless person or a junkie would probably approach you and ask for money or some food. I am sure everyone here wants to sit down and eat their food in peace.

If you’re afraid of trying anything new, there are a lot of chains along Foxcroft Avenue and Apple Harvest Drive. Same can be said right off of Exit 16E and Edwin Miller Boulevard, but that’s a little further away from the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT