ADVERTISEMENT

Which teams in 4a start official practice today?

Nov 13, 2013
Which teams in 4a are beginning practice today?! Or which teams are definitely not participating???

I heard from a local source that the Spartan's are cranking it up this afternoon in the 24153. Looking forward to how our JV squad will look.

Reactions: btowenatc
I saw numerous local schools tweeting about practice starting today. Salem, Roanoke Co, City, Montgomery Co etc... It's on in the Valley today.

The coldest I ever got at a football game was for JV between Salem @ Pulaski about 12 years ago. At halftime both my daughter and myself went into our respective bathrooms and used the hand dryer for about 10 minutes to warm up.

The coldest I ever got at a football game was for JV between Salem @ Pulaski about 12 years ago. At halftime both my daughter and myself went into our respective bathrooms and used the hand dryer for about 10 minutes to warm up.
1974 playoffs at Woodbridge was coldest for me on sidelines. In 1969 in nearly froze at Victory stadium in stands as kid watching GW beat Jefferson.

Reactions: mike salem
Mike the coldest I ever got at a football game was actually at Salem for the last Stagg Bowl they had there in 2017 I believe. Got so cold that at halftime each restroom was packed because it was out of the elements. Fans were not packed and it was so cold and windy that night we slunk below the beachers to use the concrete walls to block the prevailing winds. Nothing like the great game of football!

@mike salem looking forward to watching your guys. Football in the 804 is on. First game is in two Monday’s here. Hopeful to see a Salem/Dinwiddie or Monacan state championship this year. 5A ball is going to be fun to watch so I’ll probably have all of my attention focused there. Best wishes to the Spartans. It’ll take a hell of a team to beat Salem and Dinwiddie this year in 4A.

@mike salem looking forward to watching your guys. Football in the 804 is on. First game is in two Monday’s here. Hopeful to see a Salem/Dinwiddie or Monacan state championship this year. 5A ball is going to be fun to watch so I’ll probably have all of my attention focused there. Best wishes to the Spartans. It’ll take a hell of a team to beat Salem and Dinwiddie this year in 4A.
Thank you for the comments. Good luck to Herm & GW. What do you think about Lake Taylor? They are the defending champs. They are perennial championship contenders. And the big 3 return in QB, RB, WR. Not knowing anything else about them I'd say they are the favorites and you gotta take the belt from em.

Thank you for the comments. Good luck to Herm & GW. What do you think about Lake Taylor? They are the defending champs. They are perennial championship contenders. And the big 3 return in QB, RB, WR. Not knowing anything else about them I'd say they are the favorites and you gotta take the belt from em.
I really wasn’t that impressed with LT last year. They were not the LT team that you and I are used to. I personally thought Salem and Dinwiddie were better when I watched them in person. Sawyer is a hell of a coach (I think he’s the best coach in 4A for all it’s worth and top 5 with Johnson (Highland Springs), Bedwell (Hermitage), Simmons (Westfield), and Bradley (Heritage)) and they have a great program at LT so maybe this is a “hot take”.. I’d say Dinwiddie and Salem are neck and neck in terms of returning firepower and Monacan, LT and Tuscarora are second tier. I personally thought that 4A was down last year and the teams who were senior leaden (Glass, Louisa, GW, Broad Run) underperformed. I’m interested to see if Malik Newton plays for LT this year. They lost their top lineman to Life Christian as well.

Last edited:
I really wasn’t that impressed with LT last year. They were not the LT team that you and I are used to. I personally thought Salem and Dinwiddie were better when I watched them in person. Sawyers is a hell of a coach (I think he’s the best coach in 4A for all it’s worth and top 5 with Johnson (Highland Springs), Bedwell (Hermitage), Simmons (Westfield), and Bradley (Heritage)) and they have a great program at LT so maybe this is a “hot take”.. I’d say Dinwiddie and Salem are neck and neck in terms of returning firepower and Monacan, LT and Tuscarora are second tier. I personally thought that 4A was down last year and the teams who were senior leaden (Glass, Louisa, GW, Broad Run) underwhelmed. I’m interested to see if Malik Newton plays for LT this year. They lost their top lineman to Life Christian as well.
Thanks for your take. I know Dinwiddie should have a lot of Srs this year. They seemed to do pretty well with a young team in 2018. (Same year Salem was young)

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Thanks for your take. I know Dinwiddie should have a lot of Srs this year. They seemed to do pretty well with a young team in 2018. (Same year Salem was young)
I was impressed with Dinwiddie last year. They had a lot of sophomores and ended up playing for yet another region championship. Mills is one of the best in the state and they are always well coached and disciplined.

Reactions: WP02alum
The coldest I've ever been at a game is always directly related to how bad we were getting beat.
Like at LT one year when they won, and the wind was whipping in off of the water. And the Saturday afternoon we had Phoebus beat with two minutes to go, and lost. The polar vortex descended on that place right now and in a hurry.

I'm not up to date on Dinwiddie's potential this year, so I'll have to lean on you guys for predictions. I have heard two things. The offensive line is huge. And the QB is extremely good. Otherwise, I'm in the dark. Incidently, I have heard that Dinwiddie's home games will not be played at the Dinwiddie football field this year. They will be played at the Dinwiddie Sports Complex on 460 next to Walmart Distribution. Why, I do not know. But with virtually no fans, no band, no cheer leaders, etc., I guess they can make it work. The field is in perfect condition, but it's designed for youth recreational football.

Last edited:
The coldest I've ever been at a game is always directly related to how bad we were getting beat.
Like at LT one year when they won, and the wind was whipping in off of the water. And the Saturday afternoon we had Phoebus beat with two minutes to go, and lost. The polar vortex descended on that place right now and in a hurry.

I'm not up to date on Dinwiddie's potential this year, so I'll have to lean on you guys for predictions. I have heard two things. The offensive line is huge. And the QB is extremely good. Otherwise, I'm in the dark. Incidently, I have heard that Dinwiddie's home games will not be played at the Dinwiddie football field this year. They will be played at the Dinwiddie Sports Complex on 460 next to Walmart Distribution. Why, I do not know. But with virtually no fans, no band, no cheer leaders, etc., I guess they can make it work. The field is in perfect condition, but it's designed for youth recreational football.
Life Christian has been using the field. They brought national power St. Frances from Baltimore there last year. Great thing about it is you can bring a lawn chair and watch on the surrounding fields.

Dinwiddie’s QB was a really really good and I saw him early in the season. I believe he’s just a junior this year. Dinwiddie also has a young TE with major power 5 interest (probably already has some offers), a stud lineman (I really wish I knew the kids’ names) and some studs on the lines and skill positions. Will be very good for years to come. I think a good chunk of your guys were sophomores last year.

I really wasn’t that impressed with LT last year. They were not the LT team that you and I are used to. I personally thought Salem and Dinwiddie were better when I watched them in person. Sawyer is a hell of a coach (I think he’s the best coach in 4A for all it’s worth and top 5 with Johnson (Highland Springs), Bedwell (Hermitage), Simmons (Westfield), and Bradley (Heritage)) and they have a great program at LT so maybe this is a “hot take”.. I’d say Dinwiddie and Salem are neck and neck in terms of returning firepower and Monacan, LT and Tuscarora are second tier. I personally thought that 4A was down last year and the teams who were senior leaden (Glass, Louisa, GW, Broad Run) underperformed. I’m interested to see if Malik Newton plays for LT this year. They lost their top lineman to Life Christian as well.
I've heard Newton is going to Pitt early and not playing football this spring. That would certainly make a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT