ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s the favorite to win 4A championship?

Apr 10, 2018
Pulaski
Does anyone have an honest, unbiased favorite to win 4A this year or could it be a handful of teams? I don’t know much about the East teams, except that Salem beat them badly last year in the semifinals and final. Is Blacksburg the top dawg?

Does anyone have an honest, unbiased favorite to win 4A this year or could it be a handful of teams? I don’t know much about the East teams, except that Salem beat them badly last year in the semifinals and final. Is Blacksburg the top dawg?
Blacksburg or Dinwiddie

Last edited:
Lafayette, Lake Taylor, Sherando, Dinwiddie HM: Blacksburg/Eastern View

I feel like teams such as Louisa and Eastern View need to prove themselves a bit first. My contenders have beaten some top-notch competition.

Lake Taylor beat Phoebus.
Dinwiddie and Blacksburg both beat Salem.
Lafayette destroyed a 5-0 York team.

Sherando took Martinsburg to the wire, but they have no huge wins yet, so I'd put them on the fence.

I honestly don't know if Salem, Dinwiddie, or Blacksburg are as good as they were last year and I think Northside is better this year (speaking to Salem's losses). All of Salem's losses were close, and a break or two here or there, the outcomes may have been different. I'm anxious to see Salem play Pulaski. I am anticipating another tight one. Still plenty of time to improve for everyone, so who knows.

Things are just now getting interesting out here in the 757 for Class 4 region A.

Lake Taylor 6-0 take on a healthier IC Norcom team Sat in Portsmouth. They will be challenged by BT Washington later but should be 10-0 this season

Lafayette is 4-0 with make up games looming but it looks like Class 2, Top Tier, Poquoson with only 4 days after playing Warhill will be their biggest challenge. But expect them to be 10-0.

Deep Creek is 5-1 & play a really tough 3 game stretch of Oscar Smith (Today but likely Saturday) Nansemond River, and Kings Fork. If they can win 2 of the 3 games, they need to be considered a threat in the playoffs.

Kings Fork is 5-1 and play an even tougher schedule with I. River, Deep Creek and Finish out At Oscar Smith! 2 of those 3 teams are likely favorites to be playing in the Regional Finals in Class 5 & 6. If they come through that gauntlet with a respectable showing but still lose a few, they'll be a dangerous team capable of upsetting higher seed teams and making a run.

Last edited:
Going to be tough to make it out of B as well.

The west has a nice roster of quality ball clubs as well. This is the first time I have thought the distribution of good teams was even across both sides all the way through the playoff field.

Reactions: OCBoy and lyhsports
Things are just now getting interesting out here in the 757 for Class 4 region A.

Lake Taylor 6-0 take on a healthier IC Norcom team Sat in Portsmouth. They will be challenged by BT Washington later but should be 10-0 this season

Lafayette is 4-0 with make up games looming but it looks like Class 2, Top Tier, Poquoson with only 4 days after playing Warhill will be their biggest challenge. But expect them to be 10-0.

Deep Creek is 5-1 & play a really tough 3 game stretch of Oscar Smith (Today but likely Saturday) Nansemond River, and Kings Fork. If they can win 2 of the 3 games, they need to be considered a threat in the playoffs.

Kings Fork is 5-1 and play an even tougher schedule with I. River, Deep Creek and Finish out At Oscar Smith! 2 of those 3 teams are likely favorites to be playing in the Regional Finals in Class 5 & 6. If they come through that gauntlet with a respectable showing but still lose a few, they'll be a dangerous team capable of upsetting higher seed teams and making a run.

If the passing game can develop at Kings Fork they will make a run. Very good running game as Leo Wethington runs like a freight train. They don't have the weapons at receiver like they did last year and the QB is in his first year in the system. Both of those things take time but it's getting pretty late in the year.

Defensively they are still great. They should get back a starter in the secondary who's been put all year with an injury. That'll make them tougher.

The Indian River game is a good measuring stick. Last year when the team lost to Western Branch it was a turning point in attitude. Ideally, a much toughed loss to swallow against Nansemond River has the same effect.

We shall see....

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
If the passing game can develop at Kings Fork they will make a run. Very good running game as Leo Wethington runs like a freight train. They don't have the weapons at receiver like they did last year and the QB is in his first year in the system. Both of those things take time but it's getting pretty late in the year.

Defensively they are still great. They should get back a starter in the secondary who's been put all year with an injury. That'll make them tougher.

The Indian River game is a good measuring stick. Last year when the team lost to Western Branch it was a turning point in attitude. Ideally, a much toughed loss to swallow against Nansemond River has the same effect.

We shall see....

I agree KF has the talent to make major noise. For me the question is can they play clean football? Cut out all the penalties and self destructions. The talent is certainly there.

I agree KF has the talent to make major noise. For me the question is can they play clean football? Cut out all the penalties and self destructions. The talent is certainly there.

They struggled against Nansemond River with them. Now, that is a city of Suffolk rivalry that can get pretty chippy every year.

Difference is mindset. Kings Fork isn't concerned with being city of Suffolk Champs. They want a state title. Nansemond River's goal is a city championship and what ever else is icing.

Sherando and Lake Taylor I think will be in the finals this year. Lake Taylor has D-I guys all over the field!! They "SHOULD" win it all with all that talent!!

Sleeper picks for me are Eastern View and E.C. Glass

I have Lake Taylor as my favorite to win. The West comes down to how Sherando matches up with the D champion

Sherando and Lake Taylor I think will be in the finals this year. Lake Taylor has D-I guys all over the field!! They "SHOULD" win it all with all that talent!!

Sleeper picks for me are Eastern View and E.C. Glass

I don’t know about that. They certainly have a few D-1 guys! (LT). However, if you think they are head and shoulders above the rest of the field I disagree with that. They may be the best in the end but I don’t don’t think the margin is as wide as you do.

I don’t know about that. They certainly have a few D-1 guys! (LT). However, if you think they are head and shoulders above the rest of the field I disagree with that. They may be the best in the end but I don’t don’t think the margin is as wide as you do.

I dont remember giving a margin....:rolleyes:
But as I stated they have the most talented team in 4A with having several guys with D-1 Offers. So with having the most talent across the board.....then they "SHOULD" win it all in 4A in MY opinion. And no i am not a Lake Taylor fan i really am just a high school football fan who catches random games whenever I can.

Having D1 talent means little when it comes time to winning the whole thing. It definitely will get you to the playoffs. I remember a few years ago several on here were giving the trophy to Chancellor because of all their D1 talent....didn't work out so well for them.

I honestly don't know if Salem, Dinwiddie, or Blacksburg are as good as they were last year and I think Northside is better this year (speaking to Salem's losses). All of Salem's losses were close, and a break or two here or there, the outcomes may have been different. I'm anxious to see Salem play Pulaski. I am anticipating another tight one. Still plenty of time to improve for everyone, so who knows.
I AGREE NORTHSIDE LOOKS AWESOME

Reactions: mike salem
Having D1 talent means little when it comes time to winning the whole thing. It definitely will get you to the playoffs. I remember a few years ago several on here were giving the trophy to Chancellor because of all their D1 talent....didn't work out so well for them.
Couldn't agree with you more. Talent alone wins a lot of regular season games, but once you are deep in the playoffs I will take a well coached team with a bunch of solid players over a roster with offers anytime.

Reactions: 86CulpGrad
What has impressed me about LT this year is that they are focused and relentless. I don't see kids blaming each other after their opponents get a big play. They typically just ratchet up their intensity another knotch.

Seems to be a common factor for top level teams!

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT