ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is That Player/Coach?

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
You can bring back one player or coach for one more season from any point in your teams history... who is it and why?

For Buckingham there are so many answers you could give for player. I think each generation has had a highlight reel star. For me, I’m bringing back one I loved watching who was on the best team to come through Buckingham. Fullback by the name of Tony Gough. Can’t help but think he’d thrive at the fullback/HBack position on the Knights current scheme. Tony ripped the scales at 300+ lbs but played a lumbering fullback for the Knights out of the I formation back in the early 2000’s. For Coach? For me it begins with the guy who piloted the Knights for 20 years the late great Craig Gill. Couldn’t imagine a ton of coaches lasting 20 years in one spot much anymore. Those guys are rare. Bring Coach back and give him and his staff one shot at winning a title

Over the past 6-8 years for Appomattox I don't think its even a question that it would be Javon Scruggs.

For the coach, Doug Smith without question although I wasn't around during the Coach Bragg days. Both had great teams and good records. Coach Smith has won 5 titles. Coach Smith's influence that has nothing to do with football is what makes it no question in my mind (like I said I didn't know Coach Bragg but there is no replacement for Coach Smith and what he does for these kids on a non football level)

Not too hard here. For KW, I'd bring back Demond Claiborne and he technically hasn't even graduated yet. Lol. I've been around KW football since the mid 80s and I've seen some really special players, but none that combined the 4.3 speed, vision, power and explosiveness like Demond. The kid is just special. For Coach, you still can't think of KW without thinking of Roger Brookes. The football field is even named after him. For 35 years, he helped put KW football on the map

Reactions: Fairlawncat
For Radford, that would be Touchdown Tommy Edwards. An All-American at Radford in the early 90's and set records at Virginia Tech before tranferring to Boise State. His story has been told by many over the years regarding his battle with bipolar disease and schizophrenia, which caused him to turn down the NFL to seek a professional skateboarding career which was cut short due to his battle with mental illness and early onset dementia stemming from CTE.

In addition to Edwards, one more recent is Ben Cox. Cox started at Vanderbilt this year on the offensive line. He was told by Fuente that he couldn't play at Tech. He was honorable mention ALL SEC this year as a sophomore and will likely end up playing in the NFL. He was a huge part of Radford's win over Appo in 2018, and may be the most underrated Radford player in history.

The Coach I would bring back is one of the Virginia's all time best at any level of football, and that is VHSL Hall of Famer Norm Lineburg, who coached at Radford for 37 years.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Graham G-Men Fan. Player-Bullet Bill Dudley. UVA Consensus All American, All-Service Team while in Army, All Pro NFLx4 and MVP of the NFL. NFL Hall of Fame. The only football player in American History to be voted First Team All Service Team, First Team All American, NFL MVP.

Graham Honorable Mention Players- Dicky Asbury, First Team All American RB in 1962 and played at University of Kentucky, Chuck Perdue, 3 year starting linebacker at VT in 1972-74, Rusty Fife-Honorable Mention All-American Running Back in the 60's and played at VT, Eddie Neal-1st team All State 1981 QB, started at VT his senior year at safety, Ahmad Bradshaw, RB, Marshall-2 time NFL Superbowl Champion and 6 year NFL starter, Cam Allen-currently at Purdue, QB at Graham, DB at Purdue-honorable mention all Big 10 as a sophomore at Purdue, likely a 3rd to 4th round draft pick in 2 years, Brody Meadows-Graham-senior OT, Maxpreps High School Freshman first team All-American and as a senior, US. Army First Team All-American OT, committed to VT, Xayvion Bradshaw, slot WR, committed to VT.

Coach-Glynn Carlock, coached nearly 35 years at Graham, VHSL Hall of Fame, multiple state championships and many semi-final appearances.

Graham G-Men Fan. Player-Bullet Bill Dudley. UVA Consensus All American, All-Service Team while in Army, All Pro NFLx4 and MVP of the NFL. NFL Hall of Fame. The only football player in American History to be voted First Team All Service Team, First Team All American, NFL MVP.

Graham Honorable Mention Players- Dicky Asbury, First Team All American RB in 1962 and played at University of Kentucky, Chuck Perdue, 3 year starting linebacker at VT in 1972-74, Rusty Fife-Honorable Mention All-American Running Back in the 60's and played at VT, Eddie Neal-1st team All State 1981 QB, started at VT his senior year at safety, Ahmad Bradshaw, RB, Marshall-2 time NFL Superbowl Champion and 6 year NFL starter, Cam Allen-currently at Purdue, QB at Graham, DB at Purdue-honorable mention all Big 10 as a sophomore at Purdue, likely a 3rd to 4th round draft pick in 2 years, Brody Meadows-Graham-senior OT, Maxpreps High School Freshman first team All-American and as a senior, US. Army First Team All-American OT, committed to VT, Xayvion Bradshaw, slot WR, committed to VT.

Coach-Glynn Carlock, coached nearly 35 years at Graham, VHSL Hall of Fame, multiple state championships and many semi-final appearances.

Does Union include Powell Valley?
If so it's obvious. Thomas Jones. 10K rush yards in NFL, held all kinds of VHSL records, best player ever in SWVA. Just Union, it's James Mitchell

If so it's obvious. Thomas Jones. 10K rush yards in NFL, held all kinds of VHSL records, best player ever in SWVA. Just Union, it's James Mitchell
Who is the Jones dude you speak of? Never heard of him BigW.

Gate City Coach Harry Frye with Jeff Baker, the Wolfe brothers, Phil, Stan, & Mickey Rogers, Neil McMeans, and Tommy Godsey. Also Appalachia with the man amongst boys, Ed Clarke also known as the Stonega Stallion. All went to college. Some to VT, Tennessee, Purdue and more that I can’t remember.

L
Played for Phil Robbins, went to UVA and played for George Welshman. Stellar NFL career.
I was kidding. I loved both Jones brothers. They were bad dudes! For Gate City, what about Titsworth in late 60s/early 70s, didn't he play at Bama or Notre Dame? Also, Jake Houseright, High School All American, and Chad Beasley, who played at VT on the 99 team and with the Cleveland Browns for a couple of years.

Gate City Coach Harry Frye with Jeff Baker, the Wolfe brothers, Phil, Stan, & Mickey Rogers, Neil McMeans, and Tommy Godsey. Also Appalachia with the man amongst boys, Ed Clarke also known as the Stonega Stallion. All went to college. Some to VT, Tennessee, Purdue and more that I can’t remember.
Edd had tragic end to his life but How many of thosenothernguys played 10+ years in NFL and had over 10K yatds?

Edd had tragic end to his life but How many of thosenothernguys played 10+ years in NFL and had over 10K yatds?
Coach Lineburg from Radford once told me that Ed Clark was the best all around High School football player he ever saw, and if he would have buckled down and studied at Purdue and been more mature at that time, he would have been in the NFL. Being from Radford, that's the first time I had heard Ed Clarke's name mentioned, but Coach Lineburg knew all about him. I understand he was the uncle to the Jones brothers. As dominant and great as the Jones brother's were, their dad was quoted in the Bristol paper years ago saying that their uncle was better than both of em. That's quite a statement.

Reactions: TS69
Coach Lineburg from Radford once told me that Ed Clark was the best all around High School football player he ever saw, and if he would have buckled down and studied at Purdue and been more mature at that time, he would have been in the NFL. Being from Radford, that's the first time I had heard Ed Clarke's name mentioned, but Coach Lineburg knew all about him. I understand he was the uncle to the Jones brothers. As dominant and great as the Jones brother's were, their dad was quoted in the Bristol paper years ago saying that their uncle was better than both of em. That's quite a statement.
So true. I witnessed him first hand in high school.

For Buckingham there are so many answers you could give for player. I think each generation has had a highlight reel star. For me, I’m bringing back one I loved watching who was on the best team to come through Buckingham. Fullback by the name of Tony Gough. Can’t help but think he’d thrive at the fullback/HBack position on the Knights current scheme. Tony ripped the scales at 300+ lbs but played a lumbering fullback for the Knights out of the I formation back in the early 2000’s. For Coach? For me it begins with the guy who piloted the Knights for 20 years the late great Craig Gill. Couldn’t imagine a ton of coaches lasting 20 years in one spot much anymore. Those guys are rare. Bring Coach back and give him and his staff one shot at winning a title
Definitely Coach Gill. We loved watching him and always felt we had a chance to win with him on the sidelines. Tough was a stud on both sides of the ball. But I remember several other kids in that era that were pretty special too. Perkins was a great rb & db for 4 years. Really enjoyed watching those 2 play together.

As a Richlands fan it’s hard to pick anyone but Devon Johnson. That kid deserved a ring and I’d love for him to be still be with us and have one more shot.
What about Mike Compton, Lombardi Award Finalist, Consensus First Team All-American at WVU, 2 time superbowl champion, and 11 year starter in the NFL who missed being voted All-Pro by 2 votes on 5 of those 11 years as an NFL Offensive Line Starter. If he gets just 3 of those 5 years year with 2 more votes, he's borderline Hall of Fame.

Knightfan64 wait till you see Tony's son this year. I coached him in youth league and I said he will be the best athlete out of his age group. He'll be a freshman thus upcoming season. Our freshman class this year is loaded with tremendous talent. I went 12-0 in 2019 with this group and top to bottom they have it all. Tony's son is 6-1 190lbs and ran a 4.6 under the gun. Remember I said it 1st.

I'm a little biased here but the player I would bring back is Tarian Ayres. Of course he's my nephew but my reason being is that he was the 1st only true passing QB we've ever seen here. Before Tarian Buckingham was a 40-50 run per game team. It was pretty amazing to see us throw the ball 25-30 times per game. I believe he was a big reason for us becoming a consistently powerful team and left a foundation that carried on after he left. We've had many many great players but Tarian changed the entire program. Of course he doesn't get a chance to do what he did if it wasn't for the Great Coach Gill. He believed in him and he changed his whole style of football for a Tarian to be great. I played on the 1st team Gill coached here in 96 and I learned more from him in 1 year than I ever had. I coach my kids with everything I learned from him. The biggest thing I took from him is falling in love with his players and you knew when he said he loved you it was genuine. He inherited an 0-10 team and we won the very 1st game of the season against Prince Edward 20-18 and he shed a tear and told he loved us and the rest is history.

Reactions: BigWinners
Knightfan64 wait till you see Tony's son this year. I coached him in youth league and I said he will be the best athlete out of his age group. He'll be a freshman thus upcoming season. Our freshman class this year is loaded with tremendous talent. I went 12-0 in 2019 with this group and top to bottom they have it all. Tony's son is 6-1 190lbs and ran a 4.6 under the gun. Remember I said it 1st.
That makes me feel old as $**t knowing that Tony has a freshmen son! You are right on the money with Coach Gill, and Tarian would of been my pick but I figured you were going to chime in and Tony was a sentimental pick for myself! One other thing that does not get talked about enough with Buckingham is the fact that Coach Gill was also the offensive line coach and Buckingham has ALWAYS had some beef up front! No one is ever going to pick a linemen, but I tell you you each class has at least 1-2 studs up front and those boys love playing line. Not like that everywhere.

Yessir Gill played center in College and he made damn sure to get the best out of the lineman. Exactly why we had 2000 yard rushers on several different teams. The next 4 seasons are gonna be fun to watch for us. We have a boatload of young talent that will impress many people. We also have another Tarian style QB in the making, my 12 yr old son. He's probably a little bit ahead of where Tarian was at by 12, he's currently playing on our 12U spring team and he's looking real impressive. Tarian comes from Petersburg on a weekly basis to work him and its impressive to watch. That's for the future though, but man I haven't been more excited for Buckingham football as I am for the next 4-6 seasons...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT