ADVERTISEMENT

Who makes all state?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
From Salem I think the following kids will be considered:. Riley Fox lb. Tucker wr. Beckley qb. Pinello te/de. Craft k. Grey Wolfe OL. (Did I leave anyone out?). Mags coach of the year

Last edited:
For every kid who makes the All-State team, there are two others who are equally deserving. So much politics and other BS goes into the teams that while they are a great honor for those who make it, those who don't should not get upset. A lot of the all state teams are stat driven. So if you were a great player on a great team, you might sit out the second half of a lot of games and not have the stats to compare with some guy who played on a 6-4 team that had to play the entire way for 10 games.

I guarantee you that those kids you mentioned are going to be much more proud of that ring they will get than the any postseason honors that they may or may not get.

For every kid who makes the All-State team, there are two others who are equally deserving. So much politics and other BS goes into the teams that while they are a great honor for those who make it, those who don't should not get upset. A lot of the all state teams are stat driven. So if you were a great player on a great team, you might sit out the second half of a lot of games and not have the stats to compare with some guy who played on a 6-4 team that had to play the entire way for 10 games.

I guarantee you that those kids you mentioned are going to be much more proud of that ring they will get than the any postseason honors that they may or may not get.
This is 100% true. It happens at the district and regional levels just as bad.

stats play very little roll in the selection process.

We go through this selection debate every year and how it's actually done. All the All-State team gets you is your name in the paper for one day among a list of many others. Might as well be in the Real Estate listings. You also get a plaque. Then you become yesterday's news.

But flash that ring and you're Salem history. I'd take the ring.

Reactions: mike salem
All-State used to come from the old 1st team all-region players, and those essentially came from the 1st team all-district players. Meaning you had to make the first two to be considered for all-state. The VApreps version is done by the analysts and moderators (string-pullers) and is more stat oriented and sometimes recruiting offer inflated as to who makes it but generally is very indicative of who balled out across the state.

All-State used to come from the old 1st team all-region players, and those essentially came from the 1st team all-district players. Meaning you had to make the first two to be considered for all-state. The VApreps version is done by the analysts and moderators (string-pullers) and is more stat oriented and sometimes recruiting offer inflated as to who makes it but generally is very indicative of who balled out across the state.
This is all correct. Now there's just the VHSL Coach's picks. AP's stopped posting an All-State last yeAr. The VAPreps one is probably the best but's it's pretty remarkable how similar they are to the VHSL final choices in the end.

That was as a Sophomore. Very rare. Practically makes him a lock this year.
I agree.. The bigger question is does he start receiving D1 interest? Seems to me to have the full package. Also will be interesting to see where he shows up on the pre season top in state prospects lists.

I agree.. The bigger question is does he start receiving D1 interest? Seems to me to have the full package. Also will be interesting to see where he shows up on the pre season top in state prospects lists.
DI is about the measurables. Size and speed.

Here's the issue. You have a really good player. He does everything you want. But you have another kid who's faster, taller and very athletic. Can't catch a cold running naked in Antarctica but you need to offer him over someone else. Why? Because you lose your job if you don't.

That's DI recruiting.

DI is about the measurables. Size and speed.

Here's the issue. You have a really good player. He does everything you want. But you have another kid who's faster, taller and very athletic. Can't catch a cold running naked in Antarctica but you need to offer him over someone else. Why? Because you lose your job if you don't.

That's DI recruiting.
Not questioning that as I have first hand experience with this. However, I also watch a ton of college football and I see kids all over the country excelling with very similar measurables. Speed and athleticism isn't a weekness of Tucker's. He may be on the shorter side but then again so is Ryan Switzer (5' 9") and look what he's done at UNC (All American and one of the best WR/PR in that schools hiatory).

Not questioning that as I have first hand experience with this. However, I also watch a ton of college football and I see kids all over the country excelling with very similar measurables. Speed and athleticism isn't a weekness of Tucker's. He may be on the shorter side but then again so is Ryan Switzer (5' 9") and look what he's done at UNC (All American and one of the best WR/PR in that schools hiatory).
Did I mention Tucker?

Did I mention Tucker?
No but I figured it was implied since you were directly responding to my text in reference to Tucker. I would have thought a generalized statement would have been more suited as a stand alone post rather than a direct response. Looks like I just misunderstood.. my bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shabutie
No but I figured it was implied since you were directly responding to my text in reference to Tucker. I would have thought a generalized statement would have been more suited as a stand alone post rather than a response. Looks like I just misunderstood.. my bad.
You were right to assume that.

The only thing you can correctly assume is how DI recruiting works. The names of the players are irrelevant.
Almost every knows that it works that way. Your response came directly after a post about Tucker, in fact you quoted that post. I would have also thought that your post, while being general, would also be a response about Tucker.

Reactions: SalemPride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT