ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the #1 team in Group 4A to begin the 2017 season?

Who should be the #1 team in Group 4A to begin the 2017 season?

• Blacksburg

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Dinwiddie

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Dominion

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Eastern View

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Lafayette

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Salem

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Woodgrove

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
Of course it ain't the leader at the start of the race that matters but at the finish line.

Suprised Monacan is not on the list. They are going to be very good Matt. If they can't upset LC Bird or Manchester they will have a chore come playoff time, but if they win one or both watch out. I respect the heck out of Monacan, but I sure despise playing them, especially in the early rounds. Its generally a war and takes so much out of both teams.

Suprised Monacan is not on the list. They are going to be very good Matt. If they can't upset LC Bird or Manchester they will have a chore come playoff time, but if they win one or both watch out. I respect the heck out of Monacan, but I sure despise playing them, especially in the early rounds. Its generally a war and takes so much out of both teams.
Monacan is certainly worthy of being up there... backfield combo of Fludd at QB and Bridy running the ball should pose problems for opposing defenses. I figure those that vote 'Other' are likely folks high on them, King's Fork or Louisa. All three tough snubs, any of whom can begin and/or end in the 4A Top Ten.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Voting for Salem. I do think Dinwiddie will be better but Salem has the crown until somebody takes it. We find out week 3.

@matthew328826 what is your take of Kings Fork? @BleedingNavy and myself are high on them. Meaning maybe potentially a top 10 4a team or a tough out at the very least

Voting for Salem. I do think Dinwiddie will be better but Salem has the crown until somebody takes it. We find out week 3.

@matthew328826 what is your take of Kings Fork? @BleedingNavy and myself are high on them. Meaning maybe potentially a top 10 4a team or a tough out at the very least
Scanning King's Fork's roster and all the surveys I've gotten, they are clearly one of the most talented teams in the state. They have a D-1 prospect at just about every position. They're absolutely loaded.

However, there are some concerns. They had a losing record a season ago (granted, it was Head Coach Scottie Littles' first season at the helm). While their offense at 30 points per game was second only to Oscar Smith in the Southeastern District, defensively they struggled to put it mildly. The Bulldogs gave up 36 points per game.

Furthermore, starting QB Justin German, while one of the top passers in Tidewater a season ago, saw his junior campaign cut short due to injury. It was the third straight year he had a season-ending injury. Keeping him healthy is vital.

Now, there are rumored to be some possible schematic changes to the defense. I'll be interested to check out their scrimmage against Cox - a potential Top Ten team in 6A and arguably favorite in the Beach District - on August 11th in Virginia Beach.

So it's a team with Top 10 talent for sure... maybe even Top 5 from that regard. But they have to learn how to win there and prove themselves, so to speak. A good measuring stick for them will be game two against 6A district foe Western Branch on September 8th. Win that and they could be off and flying.

Salem still has to be #1 as defending state Champs til they are knocked off. As far as too many questions being there we'll see....

Who should be the #1 team in Group 4A to begin the 2017 season? Feel free to chime in with your pick and why + any thoughts on possible surprise teams this year...
Hey Matt, Salem not 12-2 last year, they were 13-1. You got it wrong in your top 10 list from last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT