ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be victorious this weeke

who will be victorious this week

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

woodlayer#952002

VaPreps Varsity
Oct 26, 2012
I watched the GW vs PM game and I have seen Sussex play as well here's my view on this game GW is a lot better than I thought they play smart football they can run and pass they run a lot of short timing routes but they can stretch the field also they have a stout defense they have descent team speed. Sussex has a dominating defense but short passing game can hurt them if the receivers can take a hit and hold the ball you can't run on throw deep on them either if GW can't stop the veer they will be in trouble and Sussex is more than capable of putting the ball in the air.if Sussex can throw off the timing on GW short routes they can sack the qb Sussex team speed will allow them to be agressive in all phases of the game this will be a close game but I still think that Sussex is the better team but I won't be shocked if GW won they would have to play the best game they have played all year with some help from Sussex. Sussex 18 GW 14 the winner of this game will take the title home. Just being honest

Riverheads vs Galax I really don't need to hype riverheads up because they have revenge on there mind from last years title game I'm going with riverheads in the upset 14-7 over galax. I knew fort wasn't gonna win I was trying to pump them up

I watched the GW vs PM game and I have seen Sussex play as well here's my view on this game GW is a lot better than I thought they play smart football they can run and pass they run a lot of short timing routes but they can stretch the field also they have a stout defense they have descent team speed. Sussex has a dominating defense but short passing game can hurt them if the receivers can take a hit and hold the ball you can't run on throw deep on them either if GW can't stop the veer they will be in trouble and Sussex is more than capable of putting the ball in the air.if Sussex can throw off the timing on GW short routes they can sack the qb Sussex team speed will allow them to be agressive in all phases of the game this will be a close game but I still think that Sussex is the better team but I won't be shocked if GW won they would have to play the best game they have played all year with some help from Sussex. Sussex 18 GW 14 the winner of this game will take the title home. Just being honest

Riverheads vs Galax I really don't need to hype riverheads up because they have revenge on there mind from last years title game I'm going with riverheads in the upset 14-7 over galax. I knew fort wasn't gonna win I was trying to pump them up
The best high school team I've seen here in Virginia since I moved here 3 years ago was Lake Taylor 2 years ago in the state championship game against Salem. I know they are 4A and Sussex is 1A, but do they have the sane type of speed and athleticism that LT does?

The best high school team I've seen here in Virginia since I moved here 3 years ago was Lake Taylor 2 years ago in the state championship game against Salem. I know they are 4A and Sussex is 1A, but do they have the sane type of speed and athleticism that LT does?
No, they do not have that type of speed and athleticism, but they play with the same type of intensity defensively.

Just wondering, did you see Lake Taylor vs Monacan in the semis that year? Monacan had that game won as they blocked a LT go ahead kick as time expired if I recall correctly, but they didnt realize you could advance a blocked kick, so LT returned the blocked kick for a TD while Monacan celebrated not knowing that LT just won 19-14 as a result

I'm not comparing the 2 teams but GW has been fed the Veer for years and years. We play RR every year so that is an O we are very used to. Again I'm not comparing Sussex to RR just saying we know the Veer very well.

No, they do not have that type of speed and athleticism, but they play with the same type of intensity defensively.

Just wondering, did you see Lake Taylor vs Monacan in the semis that year? Monacan had that game won as they blocked a LT go ahead kick as time expired if I recall correctly, but they didnt realize you could advance a blocked kick, so LT returned the blocked kick for a TD while Monacan celebrated not knowing that LT just won 19-14 as a result
No, I only saw the state champ game because it was just over the mountain from me at Liberty in Lynchburg, and Parry McClure had been put out of the playoffs by that time.
LT reminded me of a couple of teams I used to follow in Georgia where I'm from. I saw a lot of kids out there that I expect to see on TV on Saturday.

Lake Taylor s bigger version of Sussex talent wise they play with the same grit hard nose aggressive style of play you know what they are gonna do you just have to stop it if you can't stop it than you are gonna lose plain and simple

I saw the replay on the news it was heartbreaking

I'm not comparing the 2 teams but GW has been fed the Veer for years and years. We play RR every year so that is an O we are very used to. Again I'm not comparing Sussex to RR just saying we know the Veer very well.

Blaster I'm not trying to down play your boys your boys are good with the veer you know what's coming they got four or five plays they run with perfection you just have to stop it everyone know what's coming

I can't wait for this one it's a new type of challenge for GW. And you're right knowing it's coming and stopping it are 2 different things.

GW and Sussex should be a slobber knocker I think GW in a close one..I also think Galax wins at home.....

I like Riverheads and Sussix to play for it all,they were the only 2 class A teams the Luray Bulldogs lost to and they also lost to East Rockingham and Stuarts Draft whom both are still in the class 2-A playoffs so all in all I thought the Bulldogs had a pretty good season.

Luray had a great season and ER is out they got beat Friday I think. Now it's Appo and RL in the West and Goochland and SD in the East.

With the exception of one first-round game decades ago, I've seen every one of Salem High's playoff games. Lake Taylor's 2014 squad is the best team Salem's ever played. And as Keith_Stone points out, the great irony was that, while they were easily the best 4A team in the state (and possibly the best overall), they were also extremely fortunate just to be playing in the state championship game, given how the semifinal against Monacan ended.

Lake Taylor s bigger version of Sussex talent wise they play with the same grit hard nose aggressive style of play you know what they are gonna do you just have to stop it if you can't stop it than you are gonna lose plain and simple
You don't see a lot of teams like that anymore. The kids are now bigger, faster, and stronger than in the past, but they are softer too. It's not their fault. It's because they don't practice live very much anymore. There have been limits put on live scrimmages in full pads in order to limit injuries, but if fact, they are taking away the very thing that keeps them from getting hurt.
Maybe Lake Taylor and Sussex are putting in extra practice time on the sly in a cow pasture somewhere.

Reactions: Dtayl6
You don't see a lot of teams like that anymore. The kids are now bigger, faster, and stronger than in the past, but they are softer too. It's not their fault. It's because they don't practice live very much anymore. There have been limits put on live scrimmages in full pads in order to limit injuries, but if fact, they are taking away the very thing that keeps them from getting hurt.
Maybe Lake Taylor and Sussex are putting in extra practice time on the sly in a cow pasture somewhere.
I agree the kids are much softer. As coaches sometimes it feels like you have to babysit them. My coaches were hard on us and they didnt care about your feelings they wanted to execute whatever plans and rules they set forth. Mentally you had to be tough.

No way man everyone has the same amount of practice time the kids out of the east are raised different its just the way of life either you are going to be the bully or you are going to get bullied so you have to play with a chip on your shoulder its all about heart some people have it and some don't

No way man everyone has the same amount of practice time the kids out of the east are raised different its just the way of life either you are going to be the bully or you are going to get bullied so you have to play with a chip on your shoulder its all about heart some people have it and some don't
Raised different out east, how so? Am i reading this wrong or are you saying you're raised to be a bully in the east. Just trying to get clarification on that statement.

Reactions: Westside236
GW over Sussex by 7 (maybe 14 with a late TD), but this will be GW's best match-up in the athlete department. Sussex is very fast (for a 1A team) and should compete. Sometimes relying on athletes can come back to bite you in the hind-end...when you don't have the best athletes. This should be a good one.

Riverheads over Galax. I believe RH will end up winning by 2 possessions. The only thing that scares me about RH is that they are so predictable, that can bite you when facing a well-coached team.

Unfortunately I won't make it to either one. I will be making the trek to watch Dinwiddie/Lafayette. Dinwiddie is special this year and I won't be able to watch them in the State Title game since I will be watching Appo play. Have to check out the Generals in action this year!

Last edited:
Riverheads,Luray,Stuarts Draft,East Rockingham,are all in the East division but in reality it is the western part of the state,west of the Blue Ridge mountains in my opinion is in the west,and believe me these kids are raised just as tough as the kids in the East.

I don't think he meant it as a knock on any other school. In some rural places in the East, the crime rate is high, most kids come from single family homes and sadly many of these areas are surrounded by drugs. A lot of these kids are forced to grow up earlier than they should and many are the man of the house. I'm pretty sure he didnt mean any team out West was weak. Just a kind of toughness brought on by circumstances that have nothing to do with a football field.

Raised different out east, how so? Am i reading this wrong or are you saying you're raised to be a bully in the east. Just trying to get clarification on that statement.
Don't try and screw up my words trying to make it more than what it is
Yeah you are read this wrong I believe someone was talking about the soft play of the kids nowadays. And I stated that out here in the east the kids are raised differently most kids growing up playing with older kids you get hit hard you better not go home crying because your mother is going to send you right back out there and tell you to shake it off. basically what I am saying is the some parts of the east is a little rougher than others and your environment can make you tough. some place you cant show signs of weakness you either eat or get eaten and when you translate this environment on the football field you either bully the opposition or get bullied. I don't expect you to understand this post because your environment is different im not saying that the east is harder than the west because im not my uncle live about 45 minutes form downtown Roanoke in Buchanan VA so I know that some parts of the west is just as rough as the east.

Reactions: pasturegrazer
Don't try and screw up my words trying to make it more than what it is
Yeah you are read this wrong I believe someone was talking about the soft play of the kids nowadays. And I stated that out here in the east the kids are raised differently most kids growing up playing with older kids you get hit hard you better not go home crying because your mother is going to send you right back out there and tell you to shake it off. basically what I am saying is the some parts of the east is a little rougher than others and your environment can make you tough. some place you cant show signs of weakness you either eat or get eaten and when you translate this environment on the football field you either bully the opposition or get bullied. I don't expect you to understand this post because your environment is different im not saying that the east is harder than the west because im not my uncle live about 45 minutes form downtown Roanoke in Buchanan VA so I know that some parts of the west is just as rough as the east.
Wasn't trying to screw with your freaking words, that's why I ask if I read that wrong and ask for clarification on what you meant in your statement. And just so you know their is plenty of kids around here raised the way you stated in your last post.

Wasn't trying to screw with your freaking words, that's why I ask if I read that wrong and ask for clarification on what you meant in your statement. And just so you know their is plenty of kids around here raised the way you stated in your last post.
Let's talk football,I can watch the news and hear all this other B.S.

Let's talk football,I can watch the news and hear all this other B.S.
Wasn't talking to you, just wanted the man to know I wasn't trying to screw with or twist his words. As far as I'm concerned it's over and done with.

Wasn't talking to you, just wanted the man to know I wasn't trying to screw with or twist his words. As far as I'm concerned it's over and done with.
I thought you were talking to me and in the first place all of this crap is uncalled for if we just stick to the game of football

GW over Sussex by 7 (maybe 14 with a late TD), but this will be GW's best match-up in the athlete department. Sussex is very fast (for a 1A team) and should compete. Sometimes relying on athletes can come back to bite you in the hind-end...when you don't have the best athletes. This should be a good one.

Riverheads over Galax. I believe RH will end up winning by 2 possessions. The only thing that scares me about RH is that they are so predictable, that can bite you when facing a well-coached team.

Unfortunately I won't make it to either one. I will be making the trek to watch Dinwiddie/Lafayette. Dinwiddie is special this year and I won't be able to watch them in the State Title game since I will be watching Appo play. Have to check out the Generals in action this year!
Sussex will not try and out athelete anyone. You will either stop them or you won't, similar to Riverheads. Vista could not and the result was about a 38 min to 10 min time of possesion difference. Anyone not impressed by that stat does not know anyhting about 1A football

Oh it is impressive GW fans know what not having the ball can do. Galax held it for the whole 3rd Q we literally didn't have 1 O snap in the 3rd.

As a former franklin bronco, im pullin for sussex to win it all; reppin the tri rivers.if not, I'm fine with riverheads bringing the chip back to the east lol

Reactions: TIGER...NATION
I like Riverheads and Sussix to play for it all,they were the only 2 class A teams the Luray Bulldogs lost to and they also lost to East Rockingham and Stuarts Draft whom both are still in the class 2-A playoffs so all in all I thought the Bulldogs had a pretty good season.
Any team called the Bulldogs are ok in my book. I'll have to get over and see y'all play sometime next year.

With the exception of one first-round game decades ago, I've seen every one of Salem High's playoff games. Lake Taylor's 2014 squad is the best team Salem's ever played. And as Keith_Stone points out, the great irony was that, while they were easily the best 4A team in the state (and possibly the best overall), they were also extremely fortunate just to be playing in the state championship game, given how the semifinal against Monacan ended.
I saw Salem play Northside that year, and up until the sate game y'all were easily the best team I had seen. Very well coached. But LT was just dang good. They were right up there with the best I have seen in anywhere, and I've seen a lot of high school football in several hot bed states for the game.
What I regret most though is that I didn't go to the state championship game last year because I thought the game would be similar to the year before. It just blew me away when I saw that Salem had just spanked that LT behind like they were a red headed step child. Just goes to show you that a well coached team can never be taken for granted.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
I saw Salem play Northside that year, and up until the sate game y'all were easily the best team I had seen. Very well coached. But LT was just dang good. They were right up there with the best I have seen in anywhere, and I've seen a lot of high school football in several hot bed states for the game.
What I regret most though is that I didn't go to the state championship game last year because I thought the game would be similar to the year before. It just blew me away when I saw that Salem had just spanked that LT behind like they were a red headed step child. Just goes to show you that a well coached team can never be taken for granted.

LOL Well, I certainly wouldn't call it a spanking, but thanks for the kind words. I thought the teams were very evenly matched, and either could have won. Of course, only one did, and fortunately, it was just Salem's time again. The first half of last year's state game was probably the best defensive effort I've ever seen from a Salem team, given the setting and the competition. Your point about coaching is well taken.

LOL Well, I certainly wouldn't call it a spanking, but thanks for the kind words. I thought the teams were very evenly matched, and either could have won. Of course, only one did, and fortunately, it was just Salem's time again. The first half of last year's state game was probably the best defensive effort I've ever seen from a Salem team, given the setting and the competition. Your point about coaching is well taken.
For some reason I thought that game was a blowout, but I guess not. Anyway, that was some feat considering the competition.
I have an affinity for well coached high school teams, because I played for one of the 5 or 6 best coaches ever in high school ball down in Georgia. Our offense was like a machine out there. And we did everything the right way ALL the time. He's pushing 80 now, but he still runs about 5 miles a day. He's white headed, but other than that you would think he is about 50. He was our coach from 1959 till 1998. Came straight out of college to my school's head coaching job. He was never an assistant.
Sorry man, I got carried away. lol It,s getting a bit late. Take care.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT