ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the Greatest Athlete from Your High School?

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
So there's this series going on at Richmond.com titled "Who's the Greatest Athlete from.....?" Looking at the best Athlete to come out of each High School in the Richmond & surrounding areas.

5cc398a1cd47b.image.jpg

Who's the greatest athlete to come from each local high school?
How do you compare a swimmer with a budding professional career to an NBA veteran to a major leaguer from a bygone era? How do you rate new vs. old,
icon.ico
www.richmond.com

Here's the list so far and the upcoming schools.
Goochland- Justin Verlander

Dominion District
Cosby- Becca Wann Taylor
George Wythe- Paul Pressey
Huguenot- Gerald Henderson
James River- Kellie Wells Brinkley
LC Bird- Anthony Harris
Manchester- Denny Hamlin
Midlothian- Weggie Thompson
Monacan- Megan Walker
Powhatan- Jay Woodson
Clover Hill- Chantel Jones

Private Schools
Benedictine- Ed Davis
Saint Gertrude- Beth O'Connor Baker
Collegiate- Russell Wilson
Blessed Sacrament Huguenot- Kyle Jolly
Steward- Adjehi Baru
Trinity Episcopal- Leva Kublina
St. Catherine's- Charlotte Fox
St. Christopher's- Robert Pratt

Capital District
Atlee- Zuriel Smith
Lee-Davis- Jim Bunch
Hanover- Kristin Carpenter
Patrick Henry- Damien Woody
Henrico- Allan Bristow
Highland Springs- Buddy Lee
Varina- Ken Willard
Armstrong- Ernest Wilford

Central District
Dinwiddie- Curtis Wilkerson
Hopewell- Monsanto Pope
Matoaca- James Farrior
Meadowbrook- Lanny Wadkins
Petersburg- Moses Malone
Prince George- Johnny Oates
Thomas Dale- Lacey Waldrop
Colonial Heights- Whitney Hedgepeth

Colonial District
Deep Run- Deck McGuire
Douglas Freeman- Barty Smith
Glen Allen- Kyle Battle
Hermitage- Queen Harrison
JR Tucker- Tim Legler
John Marshall- Mel Roach
Maggie Walker HS- Arthur Ashe
Maggie Walker Gov. School- Will Roberts
Mills Godwin- Wade McGuire
Thomas Jefferson- Jessie Hicks

Tidewater District
King William- Bobby Stokes

Last edited:
Another great question.

For Salem, three names come to mind: Richard Morgan, Dennis Haley, and DeAngelo Ramsey. Morgan played football in addition to basketball his first year, then dedicated himself to the hardwood after that. He also participated in track and field. I’m not sure if he participated in any running events, but I know he did the high jump; he was the 1983 state champion in old AAA. I’m not going to research his basketball accolades, but he was basically all-world in high school, played for UVa, started for three years, and led the Cavs to the Elite Eight as an ACC first-teamer his fourth year.

Haley was a two-way stud at tailback and linebacker for four years for the Spartans. He also played basketball for three-and-a-half seasons. Between the two sports, Haley started and excelled on four state championship teams. He was fast, agile, big, and strong. I’m not sure if Dennis played any spring sports. Haley was successful at linebacker for Virginia, and was a trailblazer in becoming the first - and, until Alex Light last year, the only - Salem High grad to actually play for a team in one of the four major pro sports leagues. I believe Haley played for both San Francisco and Baltimore, but I’m not certain. [His Wikipedia page says he saw regular season/playoff action for only the Ravens.]

Ramsey was an extraordinarily naturally gifted athlete. Like Haley, big, strong, and fast, but probably quicker and more agile; definitely a better running back. I don’t think Ramsey played any other sports, aside from perhaps one season of basketball. Sadly, his athletic career seems to have ended with his final high school football game.

I guess, if I had to pick one, I would go with Dennis Haley in a close call over Richard Morgan. Making an NFL team definitely tips the scales in his favor.

Again, great question, and it’s really hard to recall all the names, for both boys and girls, throughout the decades.

This question probably should be split into separate categories for boys and girls. When trying to think of Salem’s top girl athletes over the years, the names that stick out for me are:

Michele Hamilton, basketball and softball ( I think she played softball); Ellen Weaver, four-year starting pitcher who took Salem to a softball Final Four and went on to Kentucky; Tai Taylor, who led Salem to three straight Final Fours and its only state title in girls hoops, and played at Wake Forest; Janae Blakeney, current track & field athlete who I believe has won at least one state championship (not sure if she played other sports); and distance runners Hannah Moran and Lori Archer, who went on to compete at Virginia and Wake Forest, respectively. I wish I could see a comprehensive list of all the great female athletes over the years at Salem has had, because I know I’m forgetting a lot of them. Ultimately, I think I would go with either Hamilton or Blakeney.

When trying to answer this question, perhaps it helps to try and imagine, in a competition amongst a particular school’s all-time top athletes, who would win the decathlon?

[Edit: I originally erroneously referred to Michele Hamilton as Michelle Harrison. I’ve corrected that mistake.]

Last edited:
This question probably should be split into separate categories for boys and girls. When trying to think of Salem’s top girl athletes over the years, the names that stick out for me are:

Michelle Harrison, basketball and softball ( I think she played softball); Ellen Weaver, four-year starting pitcher who took Salem to a softball Final Four and went on to Kentucky; Tai Taylor, who led Salem to three straight Final Fours and its only state title in girls hoops, and played at Wake Forest; Janae Blakeney, current track & field athlete who I believe has won at least one state championship (not sure if she played other sports); and distance runners Hannah Moran and Lori Archer, who went on to compete at Virginia and Wake Forest, respectively. I wish I could see a comprehensive list of all the great female athletes over the years at Salem has had, because I know I’m forgetting a lot of them. Ultimately, I think I would go with either Harrison or Blakeney.

When trying to answer this question, perhaps it helps to try and imagine, in a competition amongst a particular school’s all-time top athletes, who would win the decathlon?
also who got the most acclaim after HS for your school. They they excel in college, as a pro or did they ever represent your country.as an athlete.

For the Salem girls, I also neglected to mention that there are several soccer players that could be in the conversation. Heather Moore, and particularly Hannah Coulling, who was also a basketball standout, are two that come to mind. I apologize to all the many others whose names I can't recall. Coulling would probably be in the mix with Hamilton and Blakeney for the title of "Salem's best female athlete."

Reactions: mike salem
1. Moses Malone
2. Arthur Ashe
3. Russell Wilson

Was hard to pick 4 and 5. I know there are some big names on here, but not sure about choosing golf or race car drivers. I know I might take some hits for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT