ADVERTISEMENT

Why 3 o'clock?

They (Galax) are having SAT testing so that is why they have the later start time.
Wonder if any of the players are taking the SAT? With the big game coming up I figure they're stressed enough without having to worry about a SAT test

Not a single kid in this game will ever make a dime by playing football. Every kid in this game can benefit from a quality education. Therefore, the SAT is far more important than a football game.

Any and all consideration should be made to accommodate the SAT. VHSL should allow Friday night games at this juncture of the season, especially considering the close proximity of these two schools.

Not a single kid in this game will ever make a dime by playing football. Every kid in this game can benefit from a quality education. Therefore, the SAT is far more important than a football game.

Any and all consideration should be made to accommodate the SAT. VHSL should allow Friday night games at this juncture of the season, especially considering the close proximity of these two schools.
Nobody said the SAT isn't more important, just think it sucks for the kids to have to worry about the game and SAT on the same day....dont try to make something out of something that wasn't said.

I didn't intend to ruffle feathers but this isn't something that just popped up within the past week. The SAT's are scheduled well in advance of football games. Administration could have remedied this situation with better planning. And the VHSL could help remedy future occurrences by allowing Friday night games under certain conditions during this time of the season.

I think there are several different Saturday you can take the sat probably more for the the entire community parents,students etc. so they wouldn’t have make a choice

I think every school has policy school function and academics take president over athletic event or should

Galax is a very small community and has had two SAT dates scheduled since the school year began, October 7th and December 1st. "Several" isn't a term I would use to describe opportunities for the SAT. Given how kids have a penchant for procrastination, the December 1st date becomes that much more important.

I was trying to take your side but I hope that’s not the only two chances kids from galax have

I was trying to take your side but I hope that’s not the only two chances kids from galax have
No, I get it and appreciate it. Just offering a little more insight.

Students have opportunities to take SAT's but not in familiar surroundings. Galax students going to Carroll or Grayson isn't out of the question nor is it out of the ordinary. But, as a parent, I would want my child to have the tools and resources necessary to do their best. Taking an SAT in unfamiliar surroundings wouldn't be presenting my child with the best opportunity.

Just my opinion but I think some have lost a little perspective. As you stated, the school is there for academic endeavors first. Everything else is secondary.

As for the kids that are playing in the game and taking the SAT on the same day, how many of them will have the game on their mind while trying to take the test and their test scores may suffer from this. I don't think I would want my child to take his SAT on the same day as a big game just for that reason but that's just opinion on the situation.

As for the kids that are playing in the game and taking the SAT on the same day, how many of them will have the game on their mind while trying to take the test and their test scores may suffer from this. I don't think I would want my child to take his SAT on the same day as a big game just for that reason but that's just opinion on the situation.

I don't disagree with you but we all know teenagers procrastinate. This is likely the last opportunity for any senior to take the SAT (at least in familiar surroundings) for use in getting into a college next fall. Given the number of opportunities locally, it's not out of the realm of possibility that some seniors still need to do well on this test and that some of those seniors will be among the 10 on the football team.

Given the success of the Galax athletics department as a whole this decade, administration has no doubt, experienced this before and will handle it wisely. But some on various forms of social media are coming down pretty hard over it. Given your statement above "I figure they're stressed enough without having to worry about a SAT test" , it leaves the impression, you may have similar feelings.

Many apologies if I read too much into the italicized quote!

Probably should've worded it differently but like I said some scores may suffer because their mind is on the game instead of the test. Hope it doesn't have negative effect on any of the kids scores.

Galax is a very small community and has had two SAT dates scheduled since the school year began, October 7th and December 1st. "Several" isn't a term I would use to describe opportunities for the SAT. Given how kids have a penchant for procrastination, the December 1st date becomes that much more important.
Kids from other area schools are taking it there also.

Probably should've worded it differently but like I said some scores may suffer because their mind is on the game instead of the test. Hope it doesn't have negative effect on any of the kids scores.
MTfan91: totally agree with you. On some scores possibly suffering.But they are prepared .IMO

I don't disagree with you but we all know teenagers procrastinate. This is likely the last opportunity for any senior to take the SAT (at least in familiar surroundings) for use in getting into a college next fall. Given the number of opportunities locally, it's not out of the realm of possibility that some seniors still need to do well on this test and that some of those seniors will be among the 10 on the football team.

Given the success of the Galax athletics department as a whole this decade, administration has no doubt, experienced this before and will handle it wisely. But some on various forms of social media are coming down pretty hard over it. Given your statement above "I figure they're stressed enough without having to worry about a SAT test" , it leaves the impression, you may have similar feelings.

Many apologies if I read too much into the italicized quote!
I believe the kids will stress more over test than the game later. And I think it will be a none issue because they don't get to excited because they are well prepared.IMO

Not only Galax students taking the Sat’s, kids from surrounding schools take them there as well. Kids can go any where and take them.

Try telling a 17 year old that.This did not have to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT