ADVERTISEMENT

Will Football Be The Same This Fall

Xcross

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 24, 2010
The question is will football be the same this fall ? Will there even be football at the high schools this Fall ? Will there be enrollment at the schools . Lets all do our part to rid this nation of this terrible virus . Go the extra mile to stay clean from Covid 19 . Please lets do it for our children and grand children. We need not to relax and go back to the way it use to be. Not until we know there is a proven way to stay healthy . Lets pray the Boys Of Fall will be just that ! Go Big Red !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the rate we are going, coaches will be lucky to have workouts of any sort until the season actually starts at the end of July.

I just dont see football happening this fall. My wife works at UVA and theyre telling them the peak wont be until another 50-100 days, that could possibly take the peak into July. If that happens their wont be any football.

I don't know if it is fair to compare high school football to the Valley Baseball League, but they have just announced that their season is canceled. It would have begun on May 29th and run until maybe late July or early August.

So if you compare the dates, that would make me think that an across-the-board decision on football would have to be made no later than late May to early June.

If I were a gambling man I'd say no football this fall. Hard to believe it took a virus to keep Riverheads from 5-peating but there ya go.

I also am of the mind that we're just going to have to let this virus run its course. Perhaps cold, yes, but locking everybody down for an extreme period of time isnt going to stop this as Europe has proven. At this point I'm way more concerned about our rights being tossed out the window and how easily that came about. We'll get over this virus, but will the government reinstate normalcy afterwards? Thats yet to be seen and seems to have become a bargaining chip for politics. Sorry to bring this last paragraph into the conversation but it does play a large role in the decisions for football season.

Reactions: MCAthletics
Well, if there is no football, there won't be any school this fall either. I tend to think things will be getting back to normal by the time school starts. There won't be any offseason for sure. Beginning of the season my be delayed and you may see schedules cut to 8 games rather than 10. But hey, what the hell do I know...

I have a feeling that we won't start on time but I am hopeful that there will be some sort of shortened season. Maybe they shorten the season to 8 games and the playoffs to 4 rounds. That would get us back to a mid-late September start date

I don’t think there will be a season, heck do spring ball in 2021 ?

As I am sure you guys are reading, they are starting to talk in VERY general and very cautious terms about the virus possibly reaching its peak later this month or early in May. If so that will of course be great. But then we will have to worry about people being too careless too soon and thereby risking a second round of infections. At this point it does seem hard to imagine that we could be ready to see hundreds of people crowded around the same field in just a little bit over four months from now. Time will tell.

Reactions: trutiger16
As I am sure you guys are reading, they are starting to talk in VERY general and very cautious terms about the virus possibly reaching its peak later this month or early in May. If so that will of course be great. But then we will have to worry about people being too careless too soon and thereby risking a second round of infections. At this point it does seem hard to imagine that we could be ready to see hundreds of people crowded around the same field in just a little bit over four months from now. Time will tell.
Must not have seen the new UVA model that just came out showing the peak could be in August. Northam just discussed it yesterday at his presser and the Richmond Times had an article this morning. Who knows?

Flattening the curve means a longer peaking curve. It’s not necessarily unexpected or a bad thing that it’s not peaking sooner (outside of our sports world).

Just because it peaks still dosent mean it will be safe to return to the gridiron, player , parent, and administration comfort will not be there, schools will need to insitute strict hygienic policies with educationing the players, i love the game but i dont think there will be a season.

JFC you guys are downers. Have a little optimism. No sense in a defeatist attitude

Must not have seen the new UVA model that just came out showing the peak could be in August. Northam just discussed it yesterday at his presser and the Richmond Times had an article this morning. Who knows?

Shortly after I read your post I began to see the same thing elsewhere. Apparently there are different "models" that study the situation differently and they all assume various levels of social distancing. To put it another way, it will all depend on how well we follow the instructions we are given and on how practical it is on a daily basis to really stay at home. I very much missed March Madness (baseball not so much), but I cannot imagine an entire fall without football. Let's just hope for the best.

I mean ok, but surely you realize our projections mean nothing. We’re just bored people posting guesses on a message board.

Yeah I know, at this point no one really knows anything. This is all new ground for all of us, even those in charge.

But I like to keep an optimistic outlook and deal with the worst if it comes.

Reactions: WP02alum
There already talk of moving college football to February 2021 for this season , high school will follow suit.

to answer the title question
no
nothing will ever be the same again
we need to start rethinking everything
to address out new reality

But it is too early to even do that.

February start seems to be gaining traction from what we hear from insiders/reporters.

February football will have the same result as the XFL. NCAA will struggle to have football and basketball sharing the stage and the networks will be unable to hold up their end of the bargain too.

High school wise, February time frame would mean basketball, baseball, soccer, and football would all overlap. Most schools do not have the numbers for 3 sports going at once. Most regions would struggle to find officials, a lot officiate multiple sports. Lastly coaches...many coaches coach multiple sports, so they'd have to choose and then schools will need to hire new coaches for the sport the coach opted not to do and then if the following seasons are at regular time, do they get to return to their former coaching position they had to give up.

Too many hurdles for high school to pull off. I'm hoping for good old fall football.

I hope for a fall return, but if there is not a vaccine or a proven treatment for COVID-19 there is no way parents are gonna risk there kids participating, we must also remember if schools don’t open on time there will be no football folks, My career involves being involved with COVID-19 , the talk I’m getting is not good.

There already talk of moving college football to February 2021 for this season , high school will follow suit.
I don't think it is any way possible high school football can be played in the Spring. At least not at the lower class levels. Track, baseball, soccer and football in the same season? 3A and below would have a hard time fielding teams.
I think there will be football this season. Just maybe a little delayed.

Reactions: trutiger16
I don't think it is any way possible high school football can be played in the Spring. At least not at the lower class levels. Track, baseball, soccer and football in the same season? 3A and below would have a hard time fielding teams.
I think there will be football this season. Just maybe a little delayed.
Remember football is King , I hope and pray that the season can be played in the fall, if not the season can successfully be done in the spring

I would dare to dream that something like this might be possible..........An abbreviated football schedule running from February through April.........something like 8 regular season games and a three-round post-season.........an also-shortened basketball season from mid April to mid June......followed by baseball taking over in June and lasting through August, with hopefully things back to normal so that the following year could return to a more regular schedule. Other smaller sports could also work around the same general calendar.

Baseball would never work on that schedule. It overlaps with the first month of football, which would force kids to choose. Also, senior baseball players would possibly have to leave in order to attend college, not necessarily to play, but most college freshman report in August.

I agree that NFL/CFB are different situations than HSFB. The first two have seasons with enormous fiscal consequences if canceled. HSFB not so much. Obviously we all want normal to return including HSFB, but HSFB in the spring seems like a long shot.

Reactions: mmqp
“It’s unlikely that the students will be back in August,” says Mayor Walker at the cville city council meeting.

“We have an economy that’s built off of the university and tourism, and we’re going to have neither of those things.”

Charlottesville city mayor at the council meeting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT