ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Hawks continue to soar?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Hanover has not had a losing season in a decade, and have become a perennial playoff contender in the process. Can we expect more of the same this fall?

The job may be a little tougher with the loss of several dominating linemen to graduation. But, like all good programs the Hanover coaching staff has made sure the cupboard is not bare. You can be assured the Hawks will have kids ready to step up.

The most important fact that predicts another great season for Hanover is that Clayton Cheatham will be back for his senior season. Always a threat to run, Cheatham has an arm and the ability to put the ball on the money. Look for him to pass more, and run less in 2016. Without the huge linemen in front of him this season, I expect the Hawks to take advantage of Clayton's passing abilities. Also, in the past couple of seasons, he has taken a physical beating being the featured runner in their offense. Look for the coaches to be conservative with him until playoff time.

They will not be anybody's "easy out" again this season. But, they also face a brutal schedule themselves. See for yourself. Let's hear what you think about 2016 Hawks!
(Note: I'm not sure this schedule is totally accurate.)

Date Opponent Result
8/186:00p
Hermitage (Richmond, VA)
Game Details: Hanover HS
Preview Game
9/27:00p
Dinwiddie (Dinwiddie, VA)
Preview Game
9/167:00p
Hopewell (Hopewell, VA)
Preview Game
9/237:00p
@ Atlee (Mechanicsville, VA)
Game Details: Atlee HS
Preview Game
9/307:00p
Henry (Ashland, VA)
Preview Game
10/77:00p
@ Highland Springs (Highland Springs, VA)
Game Details: Highland Springs HS
Preview Game
10/147:00p
Varina (Richmond, VA)
Preview Game
10/217:00p
@ Lee-Davis (Mechanicsville, VA)
Game Details: Lee Davis HS
Preview Game
10/287:00p
@ Lee-Davis (Mechanicsville, VA)
Game Details: Lee Davis HS
Preview Game
11/47:00p
@ Henrico (Richmond, VA)
Game Details: Henrico HS
Preview Game
Schedule Legend
  • Region Game = *
  • Playoff Game = **

That is a tough schedule. A 7 - 3 finish will still mean a very formidable team.

Schedule means a lot to me. You really can't get a read on a team that plays an easy schedule. The playoffs become the equalizer. Salem is an excellent example. They are a quality program who coasts through most of the year. It makes them always look formidable. But you don't know who they are till the post-season.

Now, before I get pounded for this, you have to give them all due props for 2015. They beat Champe and followed it with stopping a seemingly unstoppable JF offensive juggernaut. Then they went and won a game against a team with WAY more talent. LT wins 9 out of 10 here but it was the Spartans that came on top. The schedule didn't win these games for them. They were the best TEAM in 4A in 2015 and proved it. Congrats.

That is a tough schedule. A 7 - 3 finish will still mean a very formidable team.

Schedule means a lot to me. You really can't get a read on a team that plays an easy schedule. The playoffs become the equalizer. Salem is an excellent example. They are a quality program who coasts through most of the year. It makes them always look formidable. But you don't know who they are till the post-season.

Now, before I get pounded for this, you have to give them all due props for 2015. They beat Champe and followed it with stopping a seemingly unstoppable JF offensive juggernaut. Then they went and won a game against a team with WAY more talent. LT wins 9 out of 10 here but it was the Spartans that came on top. The schedule didn't win these games for them. They were the best TEAM in 4A in 2015 and proved it. Congrats.
LT wins 9 out 10. sure you don't want to up that to 99 out of 100. I guess it's a good thing salem only had to play them once.

Here are a couple more examples of what you are describing, Shaunty. Lafayette has a gravy schedule, no one can argue that. They need to add some tough opponents to be better prepared for the 4a playoffs. With their current schedule, they are going to typically be 9 or 10 win team. This will give them a fairly high seeding, increasing the odds that their weaknesses won't be exposed in the first game of the playoffs. But after that, the sledding gets a lot rougher for them. I'm sure our friend Lafayette takes exception to this prognostication. But, until they prove me wrong, this is stance.

The other team is GW of Danville. They play a very weak schedule, but they always have the athletes to give anyone a game.

I don't know that I would go so far as saying LT would beat Salem 9 out of 10, but I think I would say 6 or 7 out of 10. But Mags had a great game plan that the kids executed well, and LT was simply out-coached. Unless LT changed their game plan and preparations, I would give Salem a 6 or 7 out of 10 advantage.

Here are a couple more examples of what you are describing, Shaunty. Lafayette has a gravy schedule, no one can argue that. They need to add some tough opponents to be better prepared for the 4a playoffs. With their current schedule, they are going to typically be 9 or 10 win team. This will give them a fairly high seeding, increasing the odds that their weaknesses won't be exposed in the first game of the playoffs. But after that, the sledding gets a lot rougher for them. I'm sure our friend Lafayette takes exception to this prognostication. But, until they prove me wrong, this is stance.

The other team is GW of Danville. They play a very weak schedule, but they always have the athletes to give anyone a game.

I don't know that I would go so far as saying LT would beat Salem 9 out of 10, but I think I would say 6 or 7 out of 10. But Mags had a great game plan that the kids executed well, and LT was simply out-coached. Unless LT changed their game plan and preparations, I would give Salem a 6 or 7 out of 10 advantage.
You're gonna' get yourself in trouble here. That's my job. You're the nice guy.

Lafayette plays in the Old Bay Rivers. The schedule is not their fault but, yes, they will always have a good season because of it. Like when they lost to the Cougars this year. The words of the Ram fans were, "we just haven't Seen a team like Courtland this year". GW coasts in also, although they do play Magna Vista and have picked up that NC team. Better but a decent team alone gets them a high seed.

LT did get out Coached in the Championship. That happened once. It doesn't happen twice. But, of course, when it's the Championship, you only need once.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Yeah, I expect to get chastised for my statements. But I'll take a play out of your playbook. Show me I'm wrong and I will appologize.

Thanks!

LT wins 9 out 10. sure you don't want to up that to 99 out of 100. I guess it's a good thing salem only had to play them once.
that would be 90 out of 100. It was the Championship and Salem only needed one. Don't get me wrong. There was some good fortune involved but on that day, the Spartans were the better team. They're still Not the favorite tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT