ADVERTISEMENT

William Monroe vs Madison "11 in a row"

Dec 27, 2013
Monroe wins 46-27. That's Monroe's 11th win in a row vs their "Rival". When a team win every time it's not a rival anymore. Monroe's played without their leading scorer and rebounder Jeff Early. Dragons defense holds Madison to 4 points in the 2nd quarter. Keegan Woolford 16 points 5 assists 4 steals, O'Brien Morton 12 points 10 rebounds 1 block, Anthony Terry 8 points 5 rebounds, Kam'Ron McCain 5 assists, William & Mary football signee Mark Williamson 8 rebounds 2 blocks. Monroe play Central Woodstock tomorrow night at home.

What was funny last night was that the Monroe fans would chant "He's a sophomore" when their 10th grader scored. Madison starts 4 sophomores. The score at the half was 17-12 so it was not like Monroe was lighting it up. Why did Early not play?

The Bull Run is not good. Come conference tournament time, the Bull Run teams will experience quick exits...except maybe George Mason.
This post was edited on 2/6 9:10 AM by MCCH3

I know Madison starts 3 sophomores, who is their 4th? I thought their 4th and 5th starters were a junior and a senior. I may be wrong but I think currently Monroe is second in their conference...and Strasburg I think is in the thick of things in theirs...The teams Madison and below I think are the ones that kind of out of it conference wise if I'm correct.

2 technicals the game before, that's why he didn't play. Yeah the Bull Run is down. Mason and Strasburg are the only 2 teams that have beaten Monroe since they move to Bull Run 4 years ago from Jefferson. Monroe's basketball team would rather play in the Jefferson instead of the Bull Run.

Monroe is the #2 seed in conference 28. Madison starts 1 senior I know He didn't score a point last night and I don't know about their 4th starter.

You was at the game Monroes defense smacked Madison. You play defense the offense will come. Well maybe if Madison learned how to play defense Monroe wouldn't have outscored them. And it looked like Madison's players had no idea what to do on offense. That's just my opinion

No one "is out of it conference wise". All teams play in their respective conferences. I think Madison is the #4 seed in their conference, regardless of the outcome of the district tournament. What I am saying is that none of the Bull Run teams, except George Mason, will have much success in the post season. Mason should win the conference and then get spanked in the regionals.

Be careful of what you wish for...William Monroe would be a sub .500 team in the Jefferson. There is nothing stopping them from returning to the JD if they really wanted to.

I was at the game and I would say that Madison's lack of offense was a product of their own issues. If you think Monroe is a defensive juggernaut, you will be in for a rude awakening come conference play.

Madison usually starts senior Graves, sophomores Smith, Breeden and Twyman. The fifth starter is usually either sophomores C. Smith, Garr, and sometimes junior Dove. No one has stepped up as the fifth starter.

This post was edited on 2/6 12:55 PM by MCCH3

District play only gets you ready for playoffs. So what's your reason for madison only scoring 27 points?? I'm not an AD so I can't say why they are not in the Jefferson. Just heard the basketball team would rather play there

It is simple. Madison is a transition team but often struggles to finish those shots. I counted 15 missed "gimmes" last night. If Graves is having an off night, they don't really have any other outside threat. Monroe only had 17 points at the half but I would not say it was because of great Madison defense.

Yeah it wasn't Madison's defense, Monroes top score wasn't playing. I Wrote on this board Monroe was at least 15 points better than Madison in December when Monroe won by 3. Give Monroe credit their coach had a plan and his kids smacked Madison in the mouth

Now that you wanna say Monroe would be a sub .500 team in the Jefferson, the last season when they played in the Jefferson they finished 2nd, 12-4 only Charlottesville was ahead of them. Come on man just say it Monroe has been a better team. I remember about 2 years ago the kid Markel Williams was on tv saying Madison County court was his court "Markel Williams Court".

I think Monroe's coach does a good job with what he has. Like I said, if you think Monroe plays aggressive, hard nosed defense, you will be in for a rude awakening when you play teams in your conference. But I have enjoyed watching Woolford play the last 4 years. He will be a big loss.

That was then, this is now. No way this Monroe team is .500 in the Jefferson, in my opinion. But we will never know. Every team goes through up and down cycles. Madison peaked in 2010 with that perfect season. But they have been on the decline. But the cycle is changing. My son is on the JV team. They have a good team , starting 3 eight graders and 2 freshmen. They easily handled Monroe both times this year. When these current sophomores are seniors and those JV kids are 9th--10th graders, it may well be that the fortunes are reversed.

But until that day, congratulations. Monroe has a better team at present.

Keegan was a MONSTER last night, I chatted with him after the game he said he wanted to make sure him and his boy jeff would never lose to Madison in their high school career. They better learn how to play some defense in Madison County before they are seniors. Didn't see any of the Jv game last night or in December. Good luck to your son and his career in Madison. From what I've seen Monroe will try their best to play great defense.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Too bad Monroe's leading scorer had to sit out in his last game versus Madison. As you earlier stated, Monroe only won by 3 with him on the court so I guess maybe that was a blessing in disguise. Until next season.

Really??

Everytime I have ever seen Early play he's always been polite and plays hard and doesn't say a word! What happened that he got ejected? I have to say I'm surprised!

If you say so, but Monroe played better without their leading scorer than they did with him. Go figure. Maybe Monroe will be alright next season after all.

Monroe held Madison to 0 points in the 2nd quarter in December over at your home court "Markel Williams Court" their leading scorer played. For anyone that doesn't know who Markel is he used to put it to Madison when he played for Monroe.

34slam i was also at the game and we must have not been watching the same game huh? WM easily won this game yes, but madison had a ton of self inflicted turnover and missed shots that were not causes by great defense so i wouldnt get to cocky... The WM coach was definitely smart he played stall ball which is good because madison wants to get out and run and they obviously couldnt get that started that night, but dont be so bashful come tournament time WM will be bounced out just as quick as the Mountaineers....11 in a Row huh? thats pretty impressive but have yall won a state title in basketball lately? no i didnt think so not even when you dropped down to D2 so dont be so disrespectful, its high school basketball and these kids play tough night in and night out, high schools sports are a cycle, who comes through and when....2010 State Champions MOUNTAINEERS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT