ADVERTISEMENT

Blog Winning programs need to set this up now.

TheSel2

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Apr 29, 2003
All teams that are contending for a title or wanting to get better need to scrimmage 3A and above programs to improve in August. Scrimmaging cupcakes will not going to help you in the tough games. Don't wait until August to do this but start setting it up now, especially for the jamborees. There are plenty of programs who won't mind getting work from someone they don't have to worry about playing in the playoffs.

The top 1A and 2A programs here wouldn't be a cupcake for that level. Enrollment doesn't make a team a cupcake.....their record does.

Agreed on all points. I'm just making the point that for every team that plays a stronger opponent for a challenge, someone else is playing a weaker opponent.

In many cases that is true but among the top squads I doubt that would be stressed. The best way to avoid this is to host jamborees with several big schools.

My example of jamboree suggestions: Essex host James Monroe, York, Lee-Davis and North Stafford.

Sussex Central host Indian River, Booker T. Washington, Prince George, and Henrico.

And if your wondering, this use to be the case for one of those examples all the time and they never had a problem competing or defeating the must larger schools. It elevated the level of play. These young men need a challenge.

I knew an assistant coach who said his head coach liked to schedule one opponent that was about equally matched or perhaps slightly less than equal to his team, as well as another team that would blow the doors off of them. The hope was to build confidence in one game and then to humble his team early in the other to make sure they stayed focused.

Reactions: obguthr and TheSel2
I've heard that some smaller schools have tried to schedule bigger ones but the larger schools wouldn't agree to it for fear of losing to the smaller school. Do you think there is any truth to that?

Good idea, but you have to get these programs to agree. York has been at Essex previously and don't think they would have a problem with it. Not sure about the others you suggest.

I've heard that some smaller schools have tried to schedule bigger ones but the larger schools wouldn't agree to it for fear of losing to the smaller school. Do you think there is any truth to that?
Yes, there is plenty of truth to that. Lakeland lost a benefit game to Franklin a few years ago and then said they wouldn't scrimmage Franklin again. They said it killed their kids confidence. I just think it will be easier for winning programs to pull this off and will benefit them.

Reactions: obguthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT