ADVERTISEMENT

WP vs. Northumberland -- Essex vs. W&L

West Point does have some studs indeed in RBs Lawrence Porter and Noah Lawson.

It should be a heck of a game. West Point is really good. Dang, they destroyed Rapp and just took a strong 2A Clarke to OT and lost by a point.

However, NHS D was on point most of CB game. If they can do that again...

Also, the Indians had 0 turnovers on offense and forced 4 on CB.

Not getting to far ahead of this week but Essex D is the only question I have. In my humble opinion from posts on here and looking at scores, they are at least somewhat vunerable. I do not think WP or NHS will hold them under 21 now that they are playing downhill on O. The question I would have is if they can score enough themselves.

I should also say that although W&L record kind of seems like they are overmatched against Essex, I wouldn’t be too surprised if they are able to take the win.

It is honestly anybody’s to win in Region A right now. From the outside looking in it appears everybody has a claim on why they could win. As a fan of HS football, that is awesome that here is so many playing good ball this time of year.

These are going to be some good games. Last week we all thought two games were easy picks and one of those games did not turn out the way we expected (W&L-Franklin) and the other has us in shock until halftime (NHS-EHS). A lot of us thought WP would pull the upset based on the regular season and thought Northumberland would have a tough test. Any outcome this week wouldn't shock me.
I think if Northumberland struggled with the physicality of Rapp (as many stated on here) they will have a lot of trouble with WP. However, the alleged weakness of WP is their pass defense and Northumberland is pretty wide open with speed.

All signs say Essex should win, but Franklin should've as well. If W&L can get physical up front, they will be able to move the ball but can they stop Essex? They couldn't a few weeks ago. I'm sure they will come up with a different gameplan and if it's the right one could pull another upset.

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
I think W&L keeps it much closer this time around but ultimately doesn't have quite enough against Essex. If Palmer has a big game Northumberland is going to be hard to beat, but WP on the other hand, if they can keep their guys on the field and not have any major injury issues or get gassed. Palmer might not be able to have a big game against that group of LB's. I think we might just see WP @ Essex. Wouldn't be surprised to see any of them playing each other for the 1A title though.

Reactions: obguthr and MGF
I've doubted WP a few times this year because of the secondary and history of coaching. They seem more organized and committed this year. A little imagination offensively and they could move on to the regional championship. I'm going to pick them this week in a close one. The key is pursuit and limiting big plays this week.

Reactions: WP02alum and MGF
West Point at Northumberland should be quite the game.

The wet, muddy field should be a plus for WP with their awesome power running game. However, the sunny skies should balance those variables as NHS has a fine passing game with speed and hands on both sides.

NHS' Collin Saunders made about a 40 to 50 yard catch v CB that was Sportscenter worthy (laid completely out, finger tip catch, with defender right there).

NHS now uses three QBs in different attacking schemes.

WP has some great LBs to attempt to counter. Should be a heck of a contest.

Reactions: MGF
NHS Coach Lewis kept Palmer's touches down over the season in order to develop the total team concept (well done).

He has now been unleashed. Palmer had 299 yards (3 insane TDs) of total offense v CB.

CB Head Coach Payton commented that "Palmer can make moves like nothing I have ever seen."

Congrats again on another fine season to CB. They were a class act again. I noticed kids on both sides of the ball helping each other up out of the mud.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT