ADVERTISEMENT

WSET player of the year

MrJ82

VaPreps Rookie
Oct 23, 2013
So, WSET has an interesting problem on it's hand with the final 3 for player of the year. Two of the three, Juan Thornhill and Ryheem Dawson are from 1A and the final is from 4A, GW's Hunter Byrnes.

So, here's the stats:

Brynes: 160-245 passing, 65.3% completion rate, 2,552 yards, 30 TD, 2 INT, 99 rushes, 523 yards, 19 TD
Dawson: 230 rushes, 1,929 yards, 8.38 yards per carry, 5 catches, 117 yards, 31 total TD, Defense: 48 solo tackles, 61 assisted tackles, 6 sacks, 20 tackles for loss, 1 INT
Thornhill: 125 rushes, 1,463 yards, 11.7 yards per carry, 32 total rushing, receiving, return TDs, 60-94 passing, 63.8% completion rate, 1,197 yards, 14 TD passes, 0 INT, Defense: 103 total tackles, 5 INT, 46 total TDs

So from stats, Thornhill is the guy. Rushing he's got 500 less rushing yards on 100 fewer attempts than Dawson. He's got more ypc. Though not listed his he also has 2 catches for 80 yards and one TD. Passing he's got 1,400 less yards on 100 less completions. But his completion rate is almost the same as Byrnes. He's not thrown and INT all season. He's got the most total TD's and the most tackles and INTs on D. And he's playing the lastest. GW lost two weeks ago as did Dawson, to Thornhill.

I think from stats, Thornhill has it. But Thornhill won it last year. Also, did Thornhill mean as to his team as the other two did to theirs? I.E. take Thornhill off, how does Altavista do vs. take Dawson off how does PM do or take Brynes off how does GW do? Do you look at pleasing another region, BV/Lexington or Danville over Altavista (which is about 30 minutes south of Lynchburg). I know that in the voting Thornhill was not leading (the last I checked) but WSET makes it clear that fan voting is only part of the final decision.

So does WSET give it to the same 1A player two years in a row? We'll find out tonight as the winner is announced at 11 p.m.

I would say Thornhill. Heck he only played about half the time, in that most games were over with at halftime. If he had played 4 quarters, his numbers would be unbelievable.

If I'm not mistaken they ask for viewers to call in and vote on the players.
I might be going out on a limb here, but I would guess the the player with
the most votes would win.
laugh.r191677.gif

You'd be mistaken. The fan vote is just a part of the decision. Otherwise, Thornhill (and I think Dawson) would have been cut sooner. The small schools wouldn't stand a chance against the larger schools.

If Thornhill doesn't win it I will be shocked. Just wish they wouldn't have him live in the studio at 1130 PM the night before the noon kickoff state title game.

This post was edited on 12/12 2:36 PM by loud&proud

Those are just mind numbing numbers, for all the guys. To contribute that much on both sides of the ball is remarkable. I would hate to have to pick one.

Naaa..I'd think Thornhill would have the best shot with Altavista being so close to Lynchburg.
Don't think there is any other player closer with the year he's had.
Are they really having the finalist in the studio at 1130 tonite ?(I saw a post below).
Seems they'd have them at 6 or 7 instead of that late.

They had the final three in studio last year at 11 p.m.; (Thornhill and Dawson were there) Football Friday is Friday at 11:15 p.m. every week and this is the Football Friday Finale so they do it live at 11 p.m. with the players. I'd expect all of them to be there tonight. I know the coaches that are still playing would like it to be Football Friday Finale on any other night but before the state games, well at least Scharnus. I don't understand why they don't tape it (about 8 p.m.) but after watching last year's there is no way that is was taped (or at least I hope it wasn't taped).

I didn't mention that because don't know how many half games the other two have played as well.

It's crazy he has to go he has a game tomorrow and he has to get up early. They could have waited until next week. He Willn't be home to after 12

Are we sure it wasn't pre recorded? I have a hard time believing the Altavista coaches would allow that.

It says live on the broadcast. I'd think it was prerecorded but from what I can tell, they say it's live and they've got the live box on the screen. Anyway, congrats to Brynes. (I am certain Thornhill will take his second ring over his second trophy).

What is this pleasing the region stuff?

Must be true since they rated Altavista #1 all year when I can name 4 teams that were better. GW, Magna Vista, Salem, and Jefferson Forest.

Re: What is this pleasing the region stuff?

Altavista would gladly give up the "TV Title" , They will just have to settle for wearing another RING and being called STATE CHAMPION!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT