ADVERTISEMENT

Yelling as a coaching tool

NND Sports Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 1, 2002
i post this topic after seeing that someone posted that Bland County had some players quit because they didn't like being yelled at. I believe yelling can be appropriate when done by a coach who has the respect of his players. There was one program that struggled year-in-and-year-out and they had an assistant who's only coaching technique during game night was yelling at the kids who were giving their all but were simply not as talented as their opponents. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but the program began to turn the coaching not long after the yelling assistant was no longer on staff.
Here's advice from a coach about yelling at players:
It only serves a purpose if it's backed up with a consequence. Yelling isn't a consequence; it's just white noise unless there's discipline behind it. You can get your point across and be stern without hollering and yelling. Yelling elicits an emotional response that gets the kid's attention in the short term. In the long term, they either tune it out or they start to shut down.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Yelling… a football field is sometimes a loud place. The energy has to be right a coach has to inspire, teach, and build the player’s confidence. So the praise and encouragement has to be at the same volume as the negative feedback, and it has to occur more frequently.

Yeah true that. “Yelling” here is probably referencing loud, negative comments. But yeah, literal yelling happens in all sports practices and games all the time. Good coaches don’t just crush kids for mistakes. They build them up to be better prepared for the next opportunity.

i post this topic after seeing that someone posted that Bland County had some players quit because they didn't like being yelled at. I believe yelling can be appropriate when done by a coach who has the respect of his players. There was one program that struggled year-in-and-year-out and they had an assistant who's only coaching technique during game night was yelling at the kids who were giving their all but were simply not as talented as their opponents. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but the program began to turn the coaching not long after the yelling assistant was no longer on staff.
It only serves a purpose if it's backed up with a consequence. Yelling isn't a consequence; it's just white noise unless there's discipline behind it. You can get your point across and be stern without hollering and yelling. Yelling elicits an emotional response that gets the kid's attention in the short term. In the long term, they either tune it out or they start to shut down.
If a kid can’t take a coach yelling at him, that kid is in for a long life period.

I have always assumed that players were strong enough to handle being yelled at and that they took it as a sign that the coach cared.

This is a good topic. I'm assuming the yelling mentioned in OP's post was in a negative manner like berating, cursing for no reason, ect. But as a coach that has been fortunate to be on a couple of great staffs, we used yelling to bring energy and create a general sense of urgency. Basically if the players see us amped up and bringing high energy they need to follow or quit honestly. And of course we always try to be conscience and praise as loud as we might point out a mistake or lack of effort.

Reactions: WP02alum
This world is soft....poor babies get yelled at for messing up...heck I'll just quit....loser mentality IMO

I heard a coach say when I quit yelling thats when you need to be worried, that means that I have given up on you. Casto is a hall of fame coach and he did his share and look what he accomplished.

Reactions: WP02alum
For sure! Let’s hope his departure reveals that he built a program of critical thinkers who can operate successfully without him.

This world is soft....poor babies get yelled at for messing up...heck I'll just quit....loser mentality IMO

You say that, and I understand this perspective, but I’m telling you Jason Brown-types aren’t building up something bigger than themselves. When they leave, the program crumbles.

I say all this, but just finished a practice today where I probably “shouted” about 3-4 times. The difference is shouting to communicate energy/enthusiasm/drive vs shouting to berate and embarrass somebody. I’m guilty of it, but as an educator, I know there’s a better and more effective way. That kind of shouting is typically just bad, impatient coaches looking for a shortcut. Gotta be an actual teacher! You just do!

You say that, and I understand this perspective, but I’m telling you Jason Brown-types aren’t building up something bigger than themselves. When they leave, the program crumbles.

I say all this, but just finished a practice today where I probably “shouted” about 3-4 times. The difference is shouting to communicate energy/enthusiasm/drive vs shouting to berate and embarrass somebody. I’m guilty of it, but as an educator, I know there’s a better and more effective way. That kind of shouting is typically just bad, impatient coaches looking for a shortcut. Gotta be an actual teacher! You just do!
World still soft

I don’t disagree. I imagine you and I had similar upbringings and experiences growing up. Heck, my coaches weren’t shy about putting hands on kids. You are right to a degree. I just know the best coaches these days don’t practice that old school discipline we experienced. They’ve learned how to adapt to the present reality.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT