ADVERTISEMENT

You can tell it's Northside week

The pig on Main Street in Salem. (I think Bastian's BBQ used to be here, hence the pig)

That’s at Crossroads Hobbies; I don’t think that was ever Bastian’s. Bastian’s was out on Apperson near Electric Road, and they had a pig like that. There was also a pig at the gas station, just a block west on Main Street from Crossroads Hobbies. When the gas station became one of those “fast cash” places, I think the hobby shop said they would take the pig, as people enjoyed painting it for all kinds of different reasons. That old gas station just got torn down recently, BTW. Anyway, I think the old Bastian’s pig just went away, and the one in your photo is from the gas station. If I have the story straight, which I very well might not have. To add further confusion, Crossroads Hobbies is so named because it used to actually be located at Crossroads Mall in Roanoke, which was one of the first enclosed malls anywhere. I remember going there as a kid in the 1960s. Damn, I’m old!

That’s at Crossroads Hobbies; I don’t think that was ever Bastian’s. Bastian’s was out on Apperson near Electric Road, and they had a pig like that. There was also a pig at the gas station, just a block west on Main Street from Crossroads Hobbies. When the gas station became one of those “fast cash” places, I think the hobby shop said they would take the pig, as people enjoyed painting it for all kinds of different reasons. That old gas station just got torn down recently, BTW. Anyway, I think the old Bastian’s pig just went away, and the one in your photo is from the gas station. If I have the story straight, which I very well might not have. To add further confusion, Crossroads Hobbies is so named because it used to actually be located at Crossroads Mall in Roanoke, which was one of the first enclosed malls anywhere. I remember going there as a kid in the 1960s. Damn, I’m old!
You are correct sir. I was trying to explain why there was a pig on Main Street and I couldn't remember why myself. That gas station that got torn down did have a BBQ place there for a while after the gas station left IIRC. (Can't remember the name of the BBQ place {not Bastian's} and it may not have been the source of the pig anyway)

You are correct sir. I was trying to explain why there was a pig on Main Street and I couldn't remember why myself. That gas station that got torn down did have a BBQ place there for a while after the gas station left IIRC. (Can't remember the name of the BBQ place {not Bastian's} and it may not have been the source of the pig anyway)

Oh, okay. I don’t recall a BBQ place there, but I don’t recall a lot of things anymore. I just know that pig must have a few hundred coats of paint on him by now.

Reactions: mike salem
That is not the original pig that was located at W. main and Goodwin. The original pig was relocated to a place outside if the city .Several months later the owner of the hobby shop bought a pig and placed it in it's current place .I think he did it due to all of the attention the old pig got .I observed the old pig getting painted 3x by different groups in one night . It was crazy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT