ADVERTISEMENT

Your voice!

Which of these teams should be the #1 ranked squad for the 2016 football season?

• Appomattox

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Clarke County

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • R.E. Lee

• Union

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glenvar

• Goochland

• Richlands

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Buckingham

• Dan River

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheSel2

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Apr 29, 2003
Several teams are entering the 2016 season with some very strong squads. Some teams on the other hand aren't looking to be as hot but have superior coaching. Your opinion matters so share it or vote!

Appomattox has to be the favorite. They just won a title and return the nucleus. Replace a QB and reload a few spots and it could be another special season.

Richlands returns most of the skill players (lost a RB and a slot WR), but return the 2A player of the year in QB John-Luke Asbury, as well as two 6'5 WR and a 6'4 260+ TE. They also picked up a slot WR from Graham. The big issue for the Blues will be finding a RB to keep the defense honest, and replacing some stud defensive players. If they can find a good defense and a RB, Richlands is my pick to challenge Appo for that 1 seed.

Buckingham lost Ragland, and that was the heart and soul of that team. With that said, the loss of a coach could drive momentum. We will have to see.

Union is a bit of a wild card to me. They could be 10-0, or they could lose a couple.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.

Appomattox has to be the favorite. They just won a title and return the nucleus. Replace a QB and reload a few spots and it could be another special season.

Richlands returns most of the skill players (lost a RB and a slot WR), but return the 2A player of the year in QB John-Luke Asbury, as well as two 6'5 WR and a 6'4 260+ TE. They also picked up a slot WR from Graham. The big issue for the Blues will be finding a RB to keep the defense honest, and replacing some stud defensive players. If they can find a good defense and a RB, Richlands is my pick to challenge Appo for that 1 seed.

Buckingham lost Ragland, and that was the heart and soul of that team. With that said, the loss of a coach could drive momentum. We will have to see.

Union is a bit of a wild card to me. They could be 10-0, or they could lose a couple.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.
Hey Ryan4VT,

Good to see ya back on the boards bro. Yep, you hit appo on the head. We just gotta wait to see what JR. Scruggs gonna do at QB. If he can learn to be patient and sit in his pockets, he will be fine. Our OL is stacked! We loss from last year. Our running game this year should be phenomenal. Our JV qb finally got his head on straight and been coming to practice and 7 on 7s for past 3 weeks. We should have a quality back up if he continues to improve.

I thought yall lost a bunch of OLs? That is what I heard?

I think Buckingham is gonna be a threat. I know they had a solid JV QB last year that will be a Jr this year. They just hired a coach that runs the spread from Petersburg. Going to be interesting to see, but it will be a rough season due to the death of Coach Gill.

clarke county will be good, but they need to play more quality teams throughout the year to get them ready for playoffs. Lot of scrub teams during the 10 game regular season.
http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=10329

Reactions: Ryan4VT
transfers huh....lol

dont yall got enough of them?

You'd think we get 15-20 a year judging by the way people talk about it.

Transfers happen everywhere. In today's world, if you have a consistent program like Richlands has, kids want to come play for it. We haven't missed the playoffs since 2002. Been to 4 state title games. Have new turf, lights, scoreboard and weight room/field house. We have a fan base that will take 2500+ four hours up the road to Appomattox or 5 hours to Wilson Memorial. Kids see that stuff and want to come here. We don't go out and recruit them, they end up coming to us on their own.

That said, they all move to Richlands and have houses inside our town limits or outside of town where the zoning sends them to us instead of a Tazewell or Honaker. One of the kids is actually from here but had moved to Tennessee and now his mom came back home, so that's why he came.

Not a big fan of calling high school kids "scrub teams".

Lest we not forget that the Raiders have been .500 or worse 9 times since 2000 themselves.
im talking about football team programs that let their players down by showing up August 1 for 1st football practice. teams that dont believe in off season. I feel sorry for the 3 players on these type of teams that dont get a program behind them to make them a contender. Tell me why Nelson County hasnt had a quality season since 90s. Buckingham is in the middle of NO WHERE and they always bring it yr after yr.
Clarke played 3 0-10 teams and 3 2-8 teams last year???

im talking about football team programs that let their players down by showing up August 1 for 1st football practice. teams that dont believe in off season. I feel sorry for the 3 players on these type of teams that dont get a program behind them to make them a contender. Tell me why Nelson County hasnt had a quality season since 90s. Buckingham is in the middle of NO WHERE and they always bring it yr after yr.
Clarke played 3 0-10 teams and 3 2-8 teams last year???
Handley is having a bad stretch, Riverside was new I think, and Manassas Park hasn't been that good lately. I'm not counting the Arcadia game, because I don't think a 5-6 team belongs in the playoffs. The only regular season loss was to Millbrook, and that was a close game for a 2a vs 4a. Clarke blanked George Mason, who is a formidable opponent in everything, and R.E. Lee. Union was outmatched. I think the others were mostly crapshoots, you never know how a team is going to play each year in our District. Clarke held their own against Appomattox, a completely more athletic team than they had ever faced for the first 2.5 quarters. I'm looking forward to another run for the brass ring this season.

As for transfers, no player should transfer for athletic reasons. This causes high schools to recruit other high schools for players which should be 100% illegal. I know of some transfers that would have made any college recruiting coordinator proud

As for transfers, no player should transfer for athletic reasons. This causes high schools to recruit other high schools for players which should be 100% illegal. I know of some transfers that would have made any college recruiting coordinator proud

It's never going to stop at this point. With social media, kids are friends with kids from other schools. They see their buddy at school X doing good things and then they want to be part of that and maybe get a ring or get noticed even by a D3 college. I'm not saying that all transfers are squeaky clean, they can't all be. But, as long as their parents move into the zoning area for that high school, there is nothing that can be done. Just gotta learn to accept that this is the way of the world in high school sports now.

Buckingham have some weapons to use but they are very young. The JV Qb from last year is my nephew and he's only a sophomore and it will take some time for him to get his feet beneath him. Defensively we have some key contributors from last year who were also young but what may hurt us the most is the o line play. Coach Gill was the best o line coach ever and it showed every year with strong play up front. We can be good and at the same a struggle wouldn't surprise me because of all the change that's surrounding this team. Probably the youngest team in years but we do have some talented kids to build on.

Buckingham have some weapons to use but they are very young. The JV Qb from last year is my nephew and he's only a sophomore and it will take some time for him to get his feet beneath him. Defensively we have some key contributors from last year who were also young but what may hurt us the most is the o line play. Coach Gill was the best o line coach ever and it showed every year with strong play up front. We can be good and at the same a struggle wouldn't surprise me because of all the change that's surrounding this team. Probably the youngest team in years but we do have some talented kids to build on.
what u think of new coach? I heard he running spread? Do yall have the athletes for that?

In the age of social media, kids recruit kids to come play on the same team, "dream team" style of thinking. Lots of parents go along with it.

The only difference is, at Richlands, one of the coach's owns an apartment complex which turns into a "dorm" for the transfers. Some of them live there without their parents. I know for certain one kid that left Graham to play at Richlands lived in one of those apartments by himself for two years, the parents stayed at home in Bluefield.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
what u think of new coach? I heard he running spread? Do yall have the athletes for that?
Yeah we definitely have the athletes for that we just have to use them all. Again we are very young at skilled positions but we do have speed. Met the new coach once he seems to have a plan in place.I just hope our fans give him and the team time to work out some kinks because he is stepping into some very big shoes. One thing for sure is we will find out a lot week 1 Battle of the Axe. We also lost a few kids because of ineligibility so we'll see

Last edited:
In the age of social media, kids recruit kids to come play on the same team, "dream team" style of thinking. Lots of parents go along with it.

The only difference is, at Richlands, one of the coach's owns an apartment complex which turns into a "dorm" for the transfers. Some of them live there without their parents. I know for certain one kid that left Graham to play at Richlands lived in one of those apartments by himself for two years, the parents stayed at home in Bluefield.

I can only recall three transfers from Graham to Richlands in the last 10 years. One is the young man who is here now. So that's not him.

Two is the QB. But his whole family moved here and his mom even taught school here. Can't be him.

That only leaves the WR, who's dad and step mom stayed in Bluefield, but he lived with his mom here. So I'm not exactly sure who you're talking about.....

Yeah we definitely have the athletes for that we just have to use them all. Again we are very young at skilled positions but we do have speed. Met the new coach once he seems to have a plan in place.I just hope our fans give him and the team time to work out some kinks because he is stepping into some very big shoes. One thing for sure is we will find out a lot week 1 Battle of the Axe. We also lost a few kids because of ineligibility so we'll see
ineligible? not a Gough is it?

Last edited:
You right on both sides. I think 2 other starters on defense can't play either. I heard they will make a decision in the coming weeks.

He would have been a nice pick up. I think he is gonna be a solid lil player if he keeps that attitude in check. I remember him at the Appo game going off on the sidelines.

I can only recall three transfers from Graham to Richlands in the last 10 years. One is the young man who is here now. So that's not him.

Two is the QB. But his whole family moved here and his mom even taught school here. Can't be him.

That only leaves the WR, who's dad and step mom stayed in Bluefield, but he lived with his mom here. So I'm not exactly sure who you're talking about.....

Ryan i went out to practice yesterday to see some of the new crop. I was talking to our kicking guys, I had one of the coaches told me that when they went to a camp in the recent weeks with some Richlands kickers. The parents of the Richlands kickers were saying that boosters pays for some houses for yall recruits and they mentioned a O Lineman transfer u mentioned earlier. They said boosters only makes the family pay $50 for the month and they cover rest??? Now that is coming from the horses mouth! NOT HEAR SAY! If that is the kind of crap that goes on on Richlands, how can yall be so supportive of a corrupt team and program? I did say "IF THAT...."

Last edited:
Speaking about TRUE transfer, we got a kid from Pensacola, FL this year. He been living down there for years w/ his mother. She decided on moving him back to be around his family. He is actually Matt Page's 1st cousin. I went out to watch yesterdays practice and seen a lot of promise in this kid. He is a rising Junior this year. I got him probably starting as a CB or/and WR. He got wheels too! It was a great pick up.

What i do like about my visit to practice is seeing so much talent we didnt have last year because many of the players wanted to take a year off, only play one sport, lazy, etc. Some of these kids played at A+ levels as JV, little league, and 8th graders. One example would be a guy that is a rising Junior this year and he was only wanting to focus on basketball after 8th grade. He was Devon Graves (NC State commit) #1 target in middle school as WR. I saw him in practice yesterday jump up and snag a pass one handed and I was like "Its just like riding a bike," this kid will probably be #2 WR behind Graves. We so loaded at WR. It was also great to see Moo Moo Slaughter taking snaps again (JV qb for last 2 years). he will be a quality back up. Glad to see him finally getting his life back together. We got a few OLs that came back to playing football this year. One was a starter on the 10-0 JV team, he gave up football for a year. He would have a ring right now if he would have came out last year. He got in with the wrong crowd and negative influence got the best of him last year. There are several I see that is going to make this Raider team strong.

Last edited:
tone loc 23 new man on these threads just love how you guys interact and have the love of passion for the game of football wondering why you left off Brunswick in your picks

Ryan i went out to practice yesterday to see some of the new crop. I was talking to our kicking guys, I had one of the coaches told me that when they went to a camp in the recent weeks with some Richlands kickers. The parents of the Richlands kickers were saying that boosters pays for some houses for yall recruits and they mentioned a O Lineman transfer u mentioned earlier. They said boosters only makes the family pay $50 for the month??? Now that is coming from the horses mouth! NOT HEAR SAY! If that is the kind of crap that goes on on Richlands, how can yall be so supportive of a corrupt team and program? I did say "IF THAT...."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm not even getting into this.

Thats not hear say, thats coming from a kickers parents in YOUR community. I dont see what is so funny?

One: we haven't had a kicker from Richlands go to a camp as far as I know. And a member of our staff backed that up.

Two: we had a transfer who was HUD accepted for low income housing. That has nothing to do with our team or coaches, and I doubt that family wants any of it drug through the mud.

Your horses mouth is way off.

One: we haven't had a kicker from Richlands go to a camp as far as I know. And a member of our staff backed that up.

Two: we had a transfer who was HUD accepted for low income housing. That has nothing to do with our team or coaches, and I doubt that family wants any of it drug through the mud.

Your horses mouth is way off.
I hope this is the case. I wouldnt think this coach would be lying about meeting kickers and parent from Richlands. yall are still cemented on our brains after the 'game of the century.' If someone said they were from Richlands, they would have all my attention. I did say this was one of our special teams coaches that said this and he is a good friend of mine.

I think its ironic yall get transfers in some of your most crucial positions that you lost (OL). Kinda surprising yall have a hole at RB though?

Ryan i went out to practice yesterday to see some of the new crop. I was talking to our kicking guys, I had one of the coaches told me that when they went to a camp in the recent weeks with some Richlands kickers. The parents of the Richlands kickers were saying that boosters pays for some houses for yall recruits and they mentioned a O Lineman transfer u mentioned earlier. They said boosters only makes the family pay $50 for the month and they cover rest??? Now that is coming from the horses mouth! NOT HEAR SAY! If that is the kind of crap that goes on on Richlands, how can yall be so supportive of a corrupt team and program? I did say "IF THAT...."

Not a "booster", it is a coach's wife that owns an apartment complex full of recruits. Same thing I was talking about above.

Advocate,
Be warned of some of the posters on here. We have posters from schools around us that have had their feeling hurt and try to stir and twist everything they can. I know one that has used multiple names and sometimes even talks to himself.
I believe that kicker graduated last year High is talking about.
Maybe they meet High Fidelity at that camp.

To this thread,
Graham is a team to watch this year. Home of Ahmad Bradshaw sounds like they have hopes of his second coming. Would be interest in their transfers.
The running back came to them from another school last year and they got a linebacker from the WV side of Bluefield and they probably got some this year. They sound loaded, won a 7 on 7 with Amherst in it.

Thank you Dinwiddie Proud for accepting me and the likes of AdvocateOfMany34 for the like I'm from Brunswick and really think we can raise some noise this year

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Advocate,
Be warned of some of the posters on here. We have posters from schools around us that have had their feeling hurt and try to stir and twist everything they can. I know one that has used multiple names and sometimes even talks to himself.
I believe that kicker graduated last year High is talking about.
thanks for the warning.

Amherst is a single wing type team and rarely throws the ball, so thats not a surprise.

Isnt Graham the team with the RB that ran over 2300 yards? Other that Ragland (sign by Vilinova) from Bucktown and the Prince Edward RB (going to Bridgewater), there was another one that is a Senior this year thats supposed to be a monster. all of them rushed for 2300+ last year.

Last edited:
Don't know if he had 2,300 rushing yards or not, but he had plenty and a bunch of TDs. He has good size and decent speed and doesn't mind either running over or around an opponent.

Unless it's Richlands. ;) He got held to 50 yards by our starting defense.

I don't expect that to happen this year. Kid is a beast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT