ADVERTISEMENT

6A Regions C & D Power Points

Giving Marshall 8 bonus point for playing down 4 classes is the one that makes zero sense. I assume the intent was to make sure teams had willing opponents, and eliminate any issue with class/points, but this one is moronic.

Looks like Patriot will be the benefactor in this scenario....even though they have to go on the "road".

I haven't seen them play this year, but the consensus is that they are not a high quality playoff team at this point.

Marshall and Falls Church are the reason VHSL needs to look hard at the point system.
Absolutely agree. If a team plays in a conference with multiple teams in lower classifications, so be it. But they should only get the points that go with the classification of the teams they defeat. That will not, in and of itself, fix the issue you are referring to, but it will certainly help. A 9-1 Class 6 who plays a bunch of Class 4 and 5 schools is generally not as good as a 9-1, or maybe even 8-2 or 7-3, Class 6 who plays all Class 6 schools. Then there is the issue that all conferences within a given class are certainly not equal either. We see this every year but nothing gets done about it.

One thing the VHSL should do is add a rating component that takes into account your opponents' opponents. Just take the average number of bonus points earned by a team's opponents (real bonus points, not "bonus points for playing a team in a lower division"), and add that to the ratings.

Ultimately though I don't think any "undeserving" teams advanced due to the seedings--there were any matchups between two weaker teams. If the worst thing that happens is that the #4 seed is weaker than the #5 seed you're doing alright.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT