ADVERTISEMENT

Some Early Thoughts About Shenandoah District Basketball

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
My guess is that some schools will start their seasons the week after Thanksgiving so why not go ahead and start thinking about who the contenders will be this year in the district? I just checked for rosters on the Shenandoah website and so far only three schools have anything posted but between that information and my recollection from last year, I think I can separate the seven schools in to four potential contenders for district honors and three others that might not be expected to challenge, but yet they could always have a banner year and surprise us.

However I am not going to try and rank them 1-7. Instead here alphabetically are the four that I see as having the best shot..........

Buffalo Gap: I am basing this on last year when the Bison greatly improved after having an Ofer year just a season or two before. Coach Ward seems to have them believing in his system. I assume Canterbury will be on the team but I can't think of any others. But just based on their overall upward trend, I expect the Bison to be in the mix.

Fort Defiance: I was hoping there would be a roster telling us whether or not Tyreek Veney is still around. I am inclined to think he is and if so, that fact alone will make the Indians contenders.

Staunton: The Storm does have a roster posted and it has a whopping 18 players listed. Talk about your battle for PT!!! I am picking Staunton for the same reason I probably will every year......tradition. With the legend of Paul Hatcher hanging around that gym, they will never have a "bad" team at that school. Also I remember a tiny little JV player from last year (probably 5'4" or so) that could do it all, so if he is back, and especially if he has grown, then the rest of the district will have its hands full.

Wilson: I see that the thin Finn man is back so need we say more? That and Coach Hartman's expertise will most definitely have the Hornets in the mix, and if I "had" to pick a number one team, they would likely be it.

So that leaves Riverheads, Stuarts Draft and Waynesboro to discuss. Here are my thoughts on those three..........

Riverheads: To the best of my recollection, the last two seasons for RHS have followed the same formula......close but few cigars. (Not that these young'uns should be smoking cigars or anything else mind you!) They have close games but just cannot pull them out at the end. This year's squad, and so far there is only a partial roster listed (pending football I assume), will most definitely have the raw material to be successful this year. Bennett Dunlap will be the logical team leader, but they have some other role players returning from last year, and some JVs moving up that can shoot the lights out. The potential is definitely there so I encourage them to surprise me and rise right up into Contender Territory.

Stuarts Draft: Fortunately that "threediculous" style is a thing of the past and the Cougars are a normal team again. I seem to recall them being near the bottom last year and I don't recall any superstars or a top notch JV team that might give me reason to think they will rise to the top.

Waynesboro: For such a large school (Class 3), Waynesboro is missing something in all its athletic programs. I am pretty sure they finished at or near the bottom last year in all three major boys sports, so there is some sort of lack of pride or interest or something going on over there. I think Charles Haynes returns for his senior year and he is a streaky shooter but he will need some support for the Little Giants to improve over last season.

Since tonight is opening night, I'll take a guess at it. Of course the Shenandoah (other than football) is always a guessing game and will probably not finish anywhere near the order I listed. LOL

Boys
1. Fort
2. Gap
3. Staunton
4. Wilson
5. Waynesboro
6. Riverheads
7. Draft

Girls
1. Fort
2. Gap
3. Wilson
4. Riverheads
5. Staunton
6. Draft
7. Waynesboro

Yes indeed the season sneaked up on us and four teams have already played their opening game. On the boys side, Staunton, Wilson, and Fort Defiance all won, and Waynesboro lost. Hopefully the local papers will step up to the plate and let us know what games are being played ahead of time, for those of us that like to make predictions. I get all three local papers and none of them had told us that these games were being played. So until they get into a rhythm, I suggest we all check the Shenandoah District website's calendar.

As for your predicted standings, I will be shocked if the Wilson boys finish as low as 4th with Finn Irving being the player he is. And I will be majorly disappointed if my Gladiators allow Waynesboro to finish above them.

As for the girls, Riverheads took it on the chin at East Rockingham Monday night, but hopefully that means that ER is a Bull Run contender and that the Lady Gladiators can remain at least competitive in the Shenandoah and eventually the 1-A playoffs.

Only put Wilson at 4 because I don’t know if Finn has any help. Will probably need someone else to step up. As for Waynesboro, John Spears is new coach and that is more than enough to get them out of the basement.

My guess is that some schools will start their seasons the week after Thanksgiving so why not go ahead and start thinking about who the contenders will be this year in the district? I just checked for rosters on the Shenandoah website and so far only three schools have anything posted but between that information and my recollection from last year, I think I can separate the seven schools in to four potential contenders for district honors and three others that might not be expected to challenge, but yet they could always have a banner year and surprise us.

However I am not going to try and rank them 1-7. Instead here alphabetically are the four that I see as having the best shot..........

Buffalo Gap: I am basing this on last year when the Bison greatly improved after having an Ofer year just a season or two before. Coach Ward seems to have them believing in his system. I assume Canterbury will be on the team but I can't think of any others. But just based on their overall upward trend, I expect the Bison to be in the mix.

Fort Defiance: I was hoping there would be a roster telling us whether or not Tyreek Veney is still around. I am inclined to think he is and if so, that fact alone will make the Indians contenders.

Staunton: The Storm does have a roster posted and it has a whopping 18 players listed. Talk about your battle for PT!!! I am picking Staunton for the same reason I probably will every year......tradition. With the legend of Paul Hatcher hanging around that gym, they will never have a "bad" team at that school. Also I remember a tiny little JV player from last year (probably 5'4" or so) that could do it all, so if he is back, and especially if he has grown, then the rest of the district will have its hands full.

Wilson: I see that the thin Finn man is back so need we say more? That and Coach Hartman's expertise will most definitely have the Hornets in the mix, and if I "had" to pick a number one team, they would likely be it.

So that leaves Riverheads, Stuarts Draft and Waynesboro to discuss. Here are my thoughts on those three..........

Riverheads: To the best of my recollection, the last two seasons for RHS have followed the same formula......close but few cigars. (Not that these young'uns should be smoking cigars or anything else mind you!) They have close games but just cannot pull them out at the end. This year's squad, and so far there is only a partial roster listed (pending football I assume), will most definitely have the raw material to be successful this year. Bennett Dunlap will be the logical team leader, but they have some other role players returning from last year, and some JVs moving up that can shoot the lights out. The potential is definitely there so I encourage them to surprise me and rise right up into Contender Territory.

Stuarts Draft: Fortunately that "threediculous" style is a thing of the past and the Cougars are a normal team again. I seem to recall them being near the bottom last year and I don't recall any superstars or a top notch JV team that might give me reason to think they will rise to the top.

Waynesboro: For such a large school (Class 3), Waynesboro is missing something in all its athletic programs. I am pretty sure they finished at or near the bottom last year in all three major boys sports, so there is some sort of lack of pride or interest or something going on over there. I think Charles Haynes returns for his senior year and he is a streaky shooter but he will need some support for the Little Giants to improve over last season.
Thought I would bump this to see how your pre-season predictions panned out...

Looks like I had things pretty much on target, at least in terms of a top four and a bottom three. Next year should be a cakewalk for Staunton, not only because of that awesome JV team growing up, but also because Wilson, Fort and Gap will all lose those big-time senior scorers that they had this year. So next year it might very well be Staunton, followed by everyone else battling for second.

On the boys side Fort let me down and Finn did get some help that I didn't know if he would get. Girls side I did better with Waynesboro girls being the surprise and getting to the middle of the pack.

Google the Shenandoah District website. Easier than typing it for you. Wilson was second in the boys and Wilson and Fort tied for the girls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT