ADVERTISEMENT

0-10 making playoffs? not one but 2???

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
39 teams with losing records (including two 0-10 teams) made the #VHSL playoffs, 33 sub-.500 squads got in the #TSSAA 1A-5A field.

Got this tim hayes on twitter (a news paper writer)

Last edited:
1A region B

1. Riverheads(8-2) 24.1
2. William Campbell (8-2) 22.5
3. Central Lunenburg (4-6) 15.6
4. Altavista (2-8) 15.2
5. Stonewall Jackson (0-10) 12.3
6. Cumberland (0-10) 10.2

#1 Riverheads - Bye
#5 Stonewall @ #4 Altavista

#2 William Campbell - Bye
#6 Cumberland @ #3 Lunenburg

1A region B

1. Riverheads(8-2) 24.1
4. Altavista (2-8) 15.2

#1 Riverheads - Bye

Horrible bracket. Didn't Riverheads and WC lose to the only truly good teams they faced?

1A region B

1. Riverheads(8-2) 24.1
4. Altavista (2-8) 15.2

#1 Riverheads - Bye

Not much you can do belatedly, but this bracket is an example of what can go wrong with a good idea.
Cumberland and SJ have given up a total of 999 points. Yikes!

I will say this. Those kids who come out year after year for those 0-10 teams, deserve A LOT of credit. They come out because they truly love the game of football. Why else would they come out. My hat goes off to all the kids out there that lace them up week in and week out. You are strong young men and women to keep fighting for that victory. Keep up the hard work and push onward. That being said, go get ready for basketball.

You are correct, both of those teams are horrible too. Only teams they beat had losing records, I am not sure how they gained all of those power points.
WC and Riverheads did lose most of the big games on their schedule, but I don't think I would refer to either as horrible. Both did have at least one quality win against 2A opponents. WC beat Gretna and Riverheads beat Luray.

You are correct, both of those teams are horrible too. Only teams they beat had losing records, I am not sure how they gained all of those power points.

Only 6 playoff eligible teams in the region, so all 6 made it. Region 6B is similar with only 8 teams. They did decide to cut two out though, taking only 6.

So I will ask again who comes over to Region B? And to be an ass I will say that no team would have accumulated an average of 22-24 points without playing some decent teams. I would venture to say that only 4 other teams in 1A would/could have played that schedule and been as successful

Haterade is flowing this year for no reason since the Red team honestly isn’t as good as some years past. Are they deserving of the 1seed in Region B, emphatically yes. And furthermore the power points even with the two losses have us .6 away from hosting this whole side. Does the point system work or is that broke as well?

Horrible bracket. Didn't Riverheads and WC lose to the only truly good teams they faced?
WC is 1A team that plays a lot of 2A teams so they had a good year. Their school has like 300 students total so I’ve always been impressed with them. Riverheads has had a great football program as well. Not sure if their schedule this year.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
39 teams with losing records (including two 0-10 teams) made the #VHSL playoffs, 33 sub-.500 squads got in the #TSSAA 1A-5A field.

Got this from a tim hayes from twitter (a news paper writer)
VHSL is trying to please to many people with the "let everyone get a trophy" mindset, plus, they like the $$$$$$$. 32 teams in the play offs is ridiculous and if you look at the percentages, then with so many teams getting in, it is inevitable that every year it will be the same. They might as well just play the regular seasons over again and let everyone in the play offs LOL! IMO: there should only be 6 teams from each region get in and put some merit on being a district champion (as long as they force you to play a district schedule)! This would eliminate much of the sub par/terrible, 0-10 teams from getting in!

I think it's amazing we finished 8-2 in Gretna and traveling and Altavista finished 2-8 and gets a first round home game against an 0-10 team. Actually got riveted today from friend from Altavista as they are a cross town rival.

I think it's amazing we finished 8-2 in Gretna and traveling and Altavista finished 2-8 and gets a first round home game against an 0-10 team. Actually got riveted today from friend from Altavista as they are a cross town rival.

In 3A Region D, 4-6 Northside hosts 6-4 Abingdon.

1A region B

1. Riverheads(8-2) 24.1
4. Altavista (2-8) 15.2

#1 Riverheads - Bye

I thought cumberland was independent like Nelson this year. That would make them ineligible for VHSL playoffs?

only 6 teams from a region getting in is terrible, because that means 2 teams get byes. when playoffs start, no team should get a bye.

Agree on that, but there is no solution to satisfy everything. And certainly not you. No byes, 8 teams (because 4 would give all of them a bye 1st round), and no rematches. So what is your solution

Maybe the VHSL should be cut down to 5, maybe 4 classes. IMO 6 classifications is too many for Va.
OMG yes! Four would be the best number. Believe me, I've worked this every which way possible. Four classes fixes so many issues. It isn't ever going to happen though.

Reactions: AntGZee
I wouldnt have a gripe with it going to 5 but not 4. I spoke to a guy i worked with from Florida. He said they went up to 8A and scouts would come to practices to see people that were Juniors, sophomores battle it out. He said he was at a 8 A school and didnt touch field until senior yr, he played for Alabama as a CB the next yr (unfortunately he lost his scholly for stupid crap i wont mention but it was on ESPN). He said that is normal down therein Florida and Texas. Can yall imagine not playing for 3 years just to prepare for Senior yr? your highlight as a Junior is hopefully a Scout coming to look at you during practice.

I think it is a great idea and would reduce number of games for the kids too.

Only reduces number of games for 2 teams. Gives too much of an advantage to 2 teams. Playing field should be level in playoffs. Heck, they get to host anyway.

Why not just give them the trophy ?

This occurred because of Abingdon's location and having too play many D2 teams.
Abingdon still gets D3 points for the D2 teams on their schedule.
8 teams on Northside's schedule had winning records.
Abingdon only had 5. Had it been 6, Abingdon would be hosting.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT