ADVERTISEMENT

(1) Thomas Jefferson at (1) Stuarts Draft Saturday 1 pm

Lol, we will go with that. But I am actually pulling for the Cougars to get t Salem but we need to make sure we hold up our end of that deal too. I personally think both games are far more in question than some do.

This could be the end for the Red Team. Essex is not the same as last year. They will have to play mistake free and count on Essex to make some mistakes !

These guys are huge but are slower than a JV team on the line. They have playmakers. #2 is a GUY. Draft has to play fast and pound them. I wonder how many games they have played on actual grass?

Lol, we will go with that. But I am actually pulling for the Cougars to get t Salem but we need to make sure we hold up our end of that deal too. I personally think both games are far more in question than some do.

I certainly don't think our game is a given, HUGE question for me.

And @Xcross, one I don't believe for a second that you won't be at Riverheads if you go to a game, 2 I am not "in charge" of this luxury box, and 3 I believe once the VHSL takes over (Semifinals) you actually have to have a special pass. I think I remember that from 2016

And @Xcross, one I don't believe for a second that you won't be at Riverheads if you go to a game, 2 I am not "in charge" of this luxury box, and 3 I believe once the VHSL takes over (Semifinals) you actually have to have a special pass. I think I remember that from 2016
I think Draft wins fairly easily. KW and TJ basically are even and WL beat KW. Having seen both Draft and WL I would say Draft is head and shoulders better than WL. I know its all about matchups and you cant really compare scores but I think Drafts speed on the DL neutralizes TJs size. Draft 42-14

some of the huge Richlands/Union games have drew over 5,000 people.
Anyone who thinks 2A football is not very good is silly, 2A has produced a ton of elite recruits in recent memory. Cam Allen (Graham) is playing a lot as a true frosh at Purdue, James Mitchell (Union) has scored 6TDs for VT as a soph, Devon Graves (Appo) plays at NC State, Javon Scruggs (Appo) is playing a lot at Liberty, and three Region D kids have D1 offers right now with Trenton Adkins (Ridgeview) has several big time D1 offers, Devin Lester (Graham) is an ODU commit, Mason Polier (Union) has offer from Appalachian State, Brody Meadows (Graham) has D1 offers, etc and that's just in Region D. No matter where you are, colleges find talent. Several NFL stars came from small schools in what's now 2A in SWVA like Heath Miller (Honaker) and both Jones brothers (PV).
In saying that. Dont forget to mention the Edmund brothers at DR, they all in the NFL, 2 play for Bills and 1 is a Steeler, 1A Altavista Thornhill is showing off for Chiefs, and 2A Randolph Henry's Joe Reed (UVA) is going to get picked up in draft early. I know there some i forgot about

I think Draft wins fairly easily. KW and TJ basically are even and WL beat KW. Having seen both Draft and WL I would say Draft is head and shoulders better than WL. I know its all about matchups and you cant really compare scores but I think Drafts speed on the DL neutralizes TJs size. Draft 42-14

Man I hope you are right. But I will take 2-0 or 74-73.

That KW and WL game was probably around the same time as CC and ER the 1st time.

From what I saw Friday night, not even close who was the 2nd best team SD has played all year. ER was very good. I don't think last week Riverheads beats them 52-6

I would need help to climb the bleachers anyway, but wanted to see you could bend the rules for this ole guy ? I guess @ the fence watching the Red Team is where I will be! Best of luck to your Cougars! Bring the Trophy home to Augusta Co!

I've never seen SD so I can't say anything about what they have or their speed, but TJ has some serious speed of their own, especially in Graham at RB and Jones at WR. Their backup QB has started the last two games and he has performed lights out. Their starting quarterback could be back this week and he has passed for well over 2k yards. They played 5A Deep Run, who was undefeated in the regular season, plus a couple other 5A schools, plus beat a good Gretna team on their own field, not to mention a really good KW team. As for W&L, don't let their record fool you. They played the hardest schedule in 1A. Riverheads, Essex twice, Rappahannock twice, Colonial Beach twice, KW, 4A King George, West Point etc. TJ will definitely be playing in a hostile environment, but they are a well coached team, and are extremely balanced on offense and have a physical defense plus they don't have many guys going both ways.

I've never seen SD so I can't say anything about what they have or their speed, but TJ has some serious speed of their own, especially in Graham at RB and Jones at WR. Their backup QB has started the last two games and he has performed lights out. Their starting quarterback could be back this week and he has passed for well over 2k yards. They played 5A Deep Run, who was undefeated in the regular season, plus a couple other 5A schools, plus beat a good Gretna team on their own field, not to mention a really good KW team. As for W&L, don't let their record fool you. They played the hardest schedule in 1A. Riverheads, Essex twice, Rappahannock twice, Colonial Beach twice, KW, 4A King George, West Point etc. TJ will definitely be playing in a hostile environment, but they are a well coached team, and are extremely balanced on offense and have a physical defense plus they don't have many guys going both ways.
There is one loss that TJ has that has me bewildered. Thats Amelia. They are not a very good team. Not sure what happened there. Thats why I give a huge edge to SD.

I was surprised to see that Stuarts Draft actually opened its basketball season on schedule tonight. I thought it was always pretty much understood that teams that go this deep into football playoffs have to delay basketball because some guys play both sports. So does anyone know if SD played with a full team tonight?

There is one loss that TJ has that has me bewildered. Thats Amelia. They are not a very good team. Not sure what happened there. Thats why I give a huge edge to SD.
That one bewilders me too. It was in week 2, so I'm not sure what happened. KW beat Amelia, 60-12, in the 1st round of the regionals and TJ beat KW, so who really knows. It will all be decided in about 5 days though.

In saying that. Dont forget to mention the Edmund brothers at DR, they all in the NFL, 2 play for Bills and 1 is a Steeler, 1A Altavista Thornhill is showing off for Chiefs, and 2A Randolph Henry's Joe Reed (UVA) is going to get picked up in draft early. I know there some i forgot about
Actually for the Edmunds 2 play for the Steelers, Trey and Terrell, and one for the Bills, Tremaine.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Man I hope you are right. But I will take 2-0 or 74-73.

That KW and WL game was probably around the same time as CC and ER the 1st time.

From what I saw Friday night, not even close who was the 2nd best team SD has played all year. ER was very good. I don't think last week Riverheads beats them 52-6
I am not sure who will win. I have seen TJ and they are athletic and fast. But I seem to remember in 2012, SD made a trip to Ringgold to play Dan River who had 2 Edmunds and another player who went on to Univ of Cincinnati to play. DR was athletic and fast too and when the dust cleared it was not even close, something like 56-28 Draft. In watching warm-ups that night it looked to be a mismatch, which it turned out to be just not the way many thought it was going to be. Now TJ may be better than that DR team, I dont know. They may be better coached, again I do not know. What I do know is if they are running the same O they better be more disciplined on D than DR seemed to that night.

On paper, Draft's defense is better than Teejay's. HOWEVER, in Draft's lone loss, Riverheads Smiley got to the edge almost at will. Teejay appears to be even faster. I will say since the Riverheads loss, Draft has done a much better job with containment and forcing run plays inside. Coach must have been working on that a lot. It showed against Strasburg.

You didn't see SD play KW a few years ago?

Without knowing a thing about TJ or its coaching, I would have to imagine that the difference in that DR game and TJ now is coaching. With that much talent, that game wasn't close. It was one of the worst I have seen from a good team. They actually lined up in I formation and the Tailback was 8-10 deep.

Its not like SD was a juggernaut that year. They were the 14 seed and traveled to DR to the 3 seed

Without knowing a thing about TJ or its coaching, I would have to imagine that the difference in that DR game and TJ now is coaching. With that much talent, that game wasn't close. It was one of the worst I have seen from a good team. They actually lined up in I formation and the Tailback was 8-10 deep.

Its not like SD was a juggernaut that year. They were the 14 seed and traveled to DR to the 3 seed
That Dan River team had 2 NFL players, a D3 All American and 2 other D1 players.

That Dan River team had 2 NFL players, a D3 All American and 2 other D1 players.

Yes I know, and got beat by an average team. Not just a narrow victory.

I'll tell you something that is just amazing. For that game, DR was about 2 and half hrs or more away. Well the starting QB had left I think it was his helmet at SD. So someone had to bring it. It was after I think the 2nd drive that it got there. The backup hadn't played much all year, and SD just drove the field at will.

That DR team had as much top end talent as any of these teams winning now. But they were put in a losing situation

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
That “average” team would have brought home the title under the current coaching staff and system.

I dunno. They certainly would have had a better chance. They probably would have beaten Wilson, but I dunno about Goochland.

And the average comment wasn't a negative comment about that team, but that team was I believe 5-5 in regular season, which would be. That team was also better than that record.

I have missed less than a handful of games in last 25 years so...

Last edited:
I dunno. They certainly would have had a better chance. They probably would have beaten Wilson, but I dunno about Goochland.

And the average comment wasn't a negative comment about that team, but that team was I believe 5-5 in regular season, which would be. That team was also better than that record.

I have missed less than a handful of games in last 25 years so...

Average record, I agree (6-4 I think?), but average teams don’t make it to state quarterfinals while playing all games in the road (at places like DR and Bullitt Park). You’ll also remember that Draft had already handled Goochland once that year - yes, in a scrimmage, but the match up seemed to favor SD as the outcome wasn’t close.

This year’s Cougars are a special group as well. Outstanding young men. Can’t wait for Saturday - should be fun!!

Thornhill had a TD this week on an INT return. I'm not as aware of other regions but I knew there was a lot of talent even in 1A, one of the Peebles was a starter at Tech for a couple seasons from Galax.

Average record, I agree (6-4 I think?), but average teams don’t make it to state quarterfinals while playing all games in the road (at places like DR and Bullitt Park). You’ll also remember that Draft had already handled Goochland once that year - yes, in a scrimmage, but the match up seemed to favor SD as the outcome wasn’t close.

This year’s Cougars are a special group as well. Outstanding young men. Can’t wait for Saturday - should be fun!!

but that game at the Park, man it could have went either way. Union wasn't great by any means, and it was a one score game. I didn't think SD was a state title team that year but I only saw that game. SD was very good don't get me wrong, but they didn't seem like a buzzsaw eating people alive.

Yep 6-4. And Goochland is kind of like Riverheads where they always get better as the year goes on. And cant take much from a scrimmage.

But just for context, that Goochland team beat Wilson 35-0. And while I think that the Wilson playoff game with us could have went either way, we couldn't have made up that difference. Goochland also went the next week and beat Essex 41-14. That was a state record setting team.

And yes, that Union game could have went either way.

Average record wise, good team but not great. I can think of 5 SD teams top of my head who were better

Yep 6-4. And Goochland is kind of like Riverheads where they always get better as the year goes on. And cant take much from a scrimmage.

But just for context, that Goochland team beat Wilson 35-0. And while I think that the Wilson playoff game with us could have went either way, we couldn't have made up that difference. Goochland also went the next week and beat Essex 41-14. That was a state record setting team.

And yes, that Union game could have went either way.

Average record wise, good team but not great. I can think of 5 SD teams top of my head who were better

Never implied that it was the best team to go through Draft. My opinion was that they run the gauntlet that year with that team under this year’s staff and system, and I stand by that. We can agree to disagree! I’m sure we’ll be in unison on Saturday, though!

Never implied that it was the best team to go through Draft. My opinion was that they run the gauntlet that year with that team under this year’s staff and system, and I stand by that. We can agree to disagree! I’m sure we’ll be in unison on Saturday, though!

Never implied you did. Point I was making is just making it that far (for anyone, not just SD) doesn't mean that they were a championship capable team. That team with this system and coaching staff would have had a better chance.

I would say the 07 team was better, but didnt get as far. I don't think DR was good, certainly that night. And people may forget, SD was the 14 seed and traveled to Union who was the 11 seed. Obviously 16 and this year were better. And I don't know how long you have been attending games, but no question 95 and 96 were better.

Again, team was better than their record. This staff and system would have probably helped. Nobody ever said different

In the DR game SD ran what seemed to be the same offense Wilson ran the year before when they outscored DR, thanks to Trey Edmunds having a monster game in that one. The next year Draft did the same thing just DR did not seem to have an answer. You would have thought from film study and learning from the previous year they could have had a defensive scheme to better stop the offense and not just rely possibly on having the better or if not better than faster athletes on the field. I am not sure DR to this day knows who had the ball. I coached one year and the same thing happened to us, only we were not the better team but I assure you the head coach had all of us watching the dang film over and over and over trying to figure out how to best defend that offense if we played an opponent the next year that ran it.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Where exactly is TJ? I looked at it on Google maps and it looks to be in the center of Richmond? How is the student count so low?

Where exactly is TJ? I looked at it on Google maps and it looks to be in the center of Richmond? How is the student count so low?

I believe it's how they drew the district there and so many kids are going to the bigger schools. It's been said they've lost a ton of enrollment in recent history, most to the bigger schools nearby.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
There are 5 public high schools and 1 charter school in Richmond City and at least 5 private high schools. For whatever reason the elementary schools are overcrowded but the high schools especially on the north side are way under capacity. TJ and John Marshall play in the Colonial District where they are the smallest schools with around 600 students. All the other schools are D5. They don't play a full district schedule in football anymore allowing them to play more schools their size.

There are 5 public high schools and 1 charter school in Richmond City and at least 5 private high schools. For whatever reason the elementary schools are overcrowded but the high schools especially on the north side are way under capacity. TJ and John Marshall play in the Colonial District where they are the smallest schools with around 600 students. All the other schools are D5. They don't play a full district schedule in football anymore allowing them to play more schools their size.
You are correct but there is also Franklin Military, Open High and Community High which are RPS specialty schools. Say if a kid who is supposed to go to John Marshall decides to go to Franklin Military or Community or Open....They can go to one of those 3 speciality schools and still play for Marshall. A lot of students go that route.

Reactions: CeeJay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT