ADVERTISEMENT

1A Football Race

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
CLASS 1, REGION A: (Standings prior to Essex's victory over Northumberland and Charles City's loss to John Marshall on Monday)

1) Essex 24.0 (5-0, vs. Colonial Beach Friday)
2) Westmoreland 18.0 (3-2, at Northumberland Friday)
3) Northumberland 17.75 (3-1, vs. Westmoreland Friday)
4) King & Queen Central 16.5 (5-1, at West Point Friday)
5) West Point 16.286 (5-2, vs. King & Queen Central Friday)
6) Rappahannock 14.333 (3-3, at Lancaster Friday)
7) Northampton 11.8 (2-3, at Portsmouth Christian Friday)
8) Middlesex 10.0 (2-4, at Charles City Friday)
9) Lancaster 9.667 (1-5, vs. Rappahannock Friday)
10) Colonial Beach 8.667 (0-6, at Essex Friday)
11) Charles City 7.5 (0-5, vs. Middlesex Friday)

ANALYSIS: One of the best things about this region is, down the stretch, you'll get a bunch of games involving teams within the region, which isn't always the case with regular seasons still by and large dominated by "district play" when districts have not had any other relevance for nearly a decade. Essex's large lead will only grow when their Monday win over Northumberland is added into the equation. Northumberland can bounce back, and stay in the race for the #2 seed, with a win Friday against current #2 seed Westmoreland. King & Queen Central needs to beat West Point Friday to draw a step closer to at least clinching one home game in the playoffs.

NOTE: In Class 1, Region B, Central-Lunenburg leads by 1.4286 points over Riverheads. Franklin is fourth at 16.0 followed by Sussex Central at 14.0. Cumberland is the odd man out in this nine-team region, but less than a point behind #8 Altavista.

Posted by robwitham at 7:18 PM

Reactions: OHandEIGHTwhatNOW?
Essex is my pick out of this. They're just a different breed. I'm not even sure if they committed any penalties last night. Very disciplined.

CLASS 1, REGION A: (Standings prior to Essex's victory over Northumberland and Charles City's loss to John Marshall on Monday)

1) Essex 24.0 (5-0, vs. Colonial Beach Friday)
2) Westmoreland 18.0 (3-2, at Northumberland Friday)
3) Northumberland 17.75 (3-1, vs. Westmoreland Friday)
4) King & Queen Central 16.5 (5-1, at West Point Friday)
5) West Point 16.286 (5-2, vs. King & Queen Central Friday)
6) Rappahannock 14.333 (3-3, at Lancaster Friday)
7) Northampton 11.8 (2-3, at Portsmouth Christian Friday)
8) Middlesex 10.0 (2-4, at Charles City Friday)
9) Lancaster 9.667 (1-5, vs. Rappahannock Friday)
10) Colonial Beach 8.667 (0-6, at Essex Friday)
11) Charles City 7.5 (0-5, vs. Middlesex Friday)

ANALYSIS: One of the best things about this region is, down the stretch, you'll get a bunch of games involving teams within the region, which isn't always the case with regular seasons still by and large dominated by "district play" when districts have not had any other relevance for nearly a decade. Essex's large lead will only grow when their Monday win over Northumberland is added into the equation. Northumberland can bounce back, and stay in the race for the #2 seed, with a win Friday against current #2 seed Westmoreland. King & Queen Central needs to beat West Point Friday to draw a step closer to at least clinching one home game in the playoffs.

NOTE: In Class 1, Region B, Central-Lunenburg leads by 1.4286 points over Riverheads. Franklin is fourth at 16.0 followed by Sussex Central at 14.0. Cumberland is the odd man out in this nine-team region, but less than a point behind #8 Altavista.

Posted by robwitham at 7:18 PM
Region B only brings 6 to the playoffs with 1 and 2 seeds receiving a first round bye (4 hosting 5 and 3 hosting 6) so 3 Region 1B teams will miss the playoffs. So if it ended today it would Surry,, Cumberland and Altavista would miss the playoffs.
1. Lunenburg BYE
4 Franklin vs. 5 Sussex Central
2. Riverheads BYE
3 Buffalo Gap vs. 6 William Campbell

Also in region A. I'm almost 100% certain that Middlesex and Charles City are not eligible for post season because they do not play a full schedule. I could be wrong but it would be
1 Essex vs. 8 Lancaster
4 West Point vs. 5 Northumberland
2 Westmoreland vs. 7 Northampton
3 King and Queen Central vs. 6 Rappahannock

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2022

FOOTBALL: VHSL Region Rankings/Analysis for Week 9​

Three weeks remain in the 2022 high school football regular season. Some teams are already in the postseason, others looking to clinch the top seed in their respective region, while others are fighting to make the top eight. Let's take a deep dive into the latest Virginia High School League (VHSL) region standings containing RVA teams.

NOTE: * denotes clinching a playoff berth

CLASS 1, REGION A:

1) *Essex 22.857 (7-0, vs Lancaster (1-6) Friday)
2) *King & Queen Central 17.5 (5-1, at Charles City (0-6) Friday)
3) *Northumberland 17.333 (4-2, vs Colonial Beach (0-7) Friday)
4) *Westmoreland 17.0 (3-3, at Rappahannock (4-3) Friday)
5) West Point 16.857 (5-2, bye week, game vs Mathews canceled)
6) Rappahannock 15.429 (4-3, vs Westmoreland (3-3) Friday)
7) Northampton 11.5 (2-4, vs Snow Hill, MD (1-6) Friday)
8) Middlesex 11.0 (3-4, played Northampton Monday 10/17)
---
9) Lancaster 10.0 (1-6, at Essex (7-0) Friday)
10) Colonial Beach 9.286 (0-7, at Northumberland (4-2) Friday)

ANALYSIS: We know half of the field in Region 1A, and it's almost a lock that the lone unbeaten, Essex, will hold the top seed and home field through Thanksgiving Weekend. That said, King & Queen Central still has four, yep, four games in the final three weeks, all on the road. Charles City, West Point, Middlesex and King William have a combined 12 wins as of now. It won't be enough to catch Essex if the Trojans win Friday. Colonial Beach is mathematically alive, but needs to start winning, beginning with Friday at Northumberland.

1, REGION B: Riverheads, just 5-1, holds just under a half-point lead at the top over Central-Lunenburg. C-L has a bye this week, then faces one-loss Buckingham and, currently, 4-3 Amelia to end the season. Riverheads faces Fort Defiance (3-4) this week, then goes to Staunton (7-0), and finishes hosting Stuarts Draft (5-2). With their strength of schedules so difficult down the stretch, these two teams will finish either first or second. In the nine-team region, Cumberland is the odd man out with three weeks left.

by robwitham at 12:36 PM

Essex is actually 23.14286 cause the VHSL originally had the score of the Sussex - Mecklenburg game reversed. Sussex won giving Essex 2 additional rider points.

The Middlesex vs Northampton game was canceled last night. I haven't heard when or if it'll be made up.

And it's my understanding that Middlesex is not eligible for the post season
I wonder if that's a regional thing, because there's other schools across the state that don't play a full district schedule yet are still eligible for the playoffs

It's my understanding it's up to the districts. But what do I know? But, yes there are a few teams in the Richmond region who do not play full district schedules.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
It's my understanding it's up to the districts. But what do I know? But, yes there are a few teams in the Richmond region who do not play full district schedules.
Yeah there's a few in Richmond that don't. I guess I've never heard a concrete rule on it. It seems like it's different rules for everyone. As for Middlesex, I say if they qualify then let them play in the playoffs. They haven't played KW for about 5 years now and none of the players now or even the head coach was around when they refused to play King William back then.

Last edited:
Region B only brings 6 to the playoffs with 1 and 2 seeds receiving a first round bye (4 hosting 5 and 3 hosting 6) so 3 Region 1B teams will miss the playoffs. So if it ended today it would Surry,, Cumberland and Altavista would miss the playoffs.
1. Lunenburg BYE
4 Franklin vs. 5 Sussex Central
2. Riverheads BYE
3 Buffalo Gap vs. 6 William Campbell

Also in region A. I'm almost 100% certain that Middlesex and Charles City are not eligible for post season because they do not play a full schedule. I could be wrong but it would be
1 Essex vs. 8 Lancaster
4 West Point vs. 5 Northumberland
2 Westmoreland vs. 7 Northampton
3 King and Queen Central vs. 6 Rappahannock
I believe Sussex or Franklin could defeat Lunenburg in the playoffs , Sussex will be dangerous for anyone in the first round.

If that's the case how i the world did Franklin get thumped by a mediocre Brunswick team?
Great response , my only reply is Brunswick is 3A , how many good teams have the Chargers beaten ? I believe the playoffs will be a challenge for them to advance deep.

Great response , my only reply is Brunswick is 3A , how many good teams have the Chargers beaten ? I believe the playoffs will be a challenge for them to advance deep.
Brunswick is 2A and will be moving to 1A next year. Lunenburg also beat Mecklenburg by about 35 while Brunswick lost to Mecklenburg. The James River is down (Amelia and Nottoway are no way as strong as they normally are) BUT if Lunenburg can beat Buckingham whenever they play they will be undefeated headed into the 1B playoffs. Buckingham is a pretty good team who also played Franklin earlier this season. Can't remember the score just know Buckingham won by a pretty sizable margin

Reactions: trutiger16
The Buckingham game will definitely be a“test”. I look for them to play well against them with a shot to possibly win. No disrespect intended to Buckingham in that, I just happen to think that Lunenburg is a pretty decent team this season. As for any potential regional matchups, there is a lot of football to play before that happens.

CLASS 1, REGION A:

1) Z-Essex 23.5 (8-0, at Westmoreland (3-4) Thursday)
2) X-King & Queen Central 17.714 (6-1, at Middlesex (3-4) Friday)
3T) X-West Point 17.429 (5-2, at King William (5-3) Friday)
X-Northumberland 17.429 (5-2, at Rappahannock (5-3) Friday)
5) X-Westmoreland 16.571 (3-4, vs Essex (8-0) Thursday)
6) X-Rappahannock 16.375 (5-3, vs Northumberland (5-2) Friday)
7) Northampton 12.858 (3-4, at Nandua (5-3) Friday)
8) Middlesex 11.143 (3-4, vs King & Queen Central (6-1) Friday)

9) Lancaster 10.875 (1-7, at Colonial Beach (0-8) Friday)
10) Colonial Beach 9.875 (0-8, vs Lancaster (1-7) Friday)

ANALYSIS: Essex has the top seed, and the five teams just below them will be in the postseason. The question lingering is who gets the #7 and #8 seeds. The winner of Lancaster/Colonial Beach will eliminate the loser, unless Middlesex loses to King & Queen Central.

CLASS 1, REGION B: Central-Lunenburg holds the #2 seed at 22.75, just over a point behind Riverheads (23.857). Sussex Central is #4 (17.25) with Franklin at 15.5. Cumberland is in ninth, and last, place, but only .75 behind Altavista. Both teams are 0-8. If one could grab a victory in the last two weeks, it would make the difference between a trip to Essex, and washing the jerseys for the final time this season.

Posted by robwitham at 2:23 PM

CLASS 1, REGION A:

1) Z-Essex 23.5 (8-0, at Westmoreland (3-4) Thursday)
2) X-King & Queen Central 17.714 (6-1, at Middlesex (3-4) Friday)
3T) X-West Point 17.429 (5-2, at King William (5-3) Friday)
X-Northumberland 17.429 (5-2, at Rappahannock (5-3) Friday)
5) X-Westmoreland 16.571 (3-4, vs Essex (8-0) Thursday)
6) X-Rappahannock 16.375 (5-3, vs Northumberland (5-2) Friday)
7) Northampton 12.858 (3-4, at Nandua (5-3) Friday)
8) Middlesex 11.143 (3-4, vs King & Queen Central (6-1) Friday)

9) Lancaster 10.875 (1-7, at Colonial Beach (0-8) Friday)
10) Colonial Beach 9.875 (0-8, vs Lancaster (1-7) Friday)

ANALYSIS: Essex has the top seed, and the five teams just below them will be in the postseason. The question lingering is who gets the #7 and #8 seeds. The winner of Lancaster/Colonial Beach will eliminate the loser, unless Middlesex loses to King & Queen Central.

CLASS 1, REGION B: Central-Lunenburg holds the #2 seed at 22.75, just over a point behind Riverheads (23.857). Sussex Central is #4 (17.25) with Franklin at 15.5. Cumberland is in ninth, and last, place, but only .75 behind Altavista. Both teams are 0-8. If one could grab a victory in the last two weeks, it would make the difference between a trip to Essex, and washing the jerseys for the final time this season.

Posted by robwitham at 2:23 PM

Middlesex is ineligible this year.

Why include that asterisk cut-line though? It’s apparent the author of the original post doesn’t know about Middlesex being ineligible.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Why include that asterisk cut-line though? It’s apparent the author of the original post doesn’t know about Middlesex being ineligible.
Middlesex hasn't been eligible for the playoffs for at least 4 years. It seems like we have to say the same thing every year in regards to them. You'd think by now people would know that they refuse to play a full district schedule and because of that they're not eligible. Lol

Some old bad blood from a game or two where people got feelings hurt is my understanding.

Why won't they play a full schedule? Are they that afraid of KW?
Several years back during a KW and Middlesex game, the coach that was there at the time had his players just lay on the field and let KW score. Ever since then, they've refused to schedule KW and subsequently because of the district rule, they automatically aren't eligible for the playoffs each year. So for at least 4 or 5 years the Middlesex players play knowing no matter how successful they are, they're not going to be in the playoffs regardless

Several years back during a KW and Middlesex game, the coach that was there at the time had his players just lay on the field and let KW score. Ever since then, they've refused to schedule KW and subsequently because of the district rule, they automatically aren't eligible for the playoffs each year. So for at least 4 or 5 years the Middlesex players play knowing no matter how successful they are, they're not going to be in the playoffs regardless
I trust what you say is accurate. What precipitated such behavior?

I trust what you say is accurate. What precipitated such behavior?
I'm not exactly sure to be honest. The previous coach seemed to complain a lot in general and I don't think he wanted KW to be in the district to begin with. Actually not playing them or Mathews benefits KW, because that's allowed them to schedule out of district games with teams like Lafayette and IC Norcom, which helps prepare them more for the playoffs because of playing much tougher competition and they're extremely battle tested

It also hurts the program. You know you're not going to the playoffs, so a lot of players not coming out
Oh course. That seems like a terrible thing to place on the kids. It looks to me like the kids suffer so adults can refuse to reconcile. Why should any of these kids be denied the possibility of a playoff game because of the actions of an adult or two that are not even in the picture anymore? I just don‘t get this.

Oh course. That seems like a terrible thing to place on the kids. It looks to me like the kids suffer so adults can refuse to reconcile. Why should any of these kids be denied the possibility of a playoff game because of the actions of an adult or two that are not even in the picture anymore? I just don‘t get this.
Exactly what I was thinking

Exactly what I was thinking
I tend to think there is something else that comes into play with this.
Is there someone on here from Middlesex or KW that can get a definitive answer for us. And answer from an AD or Principal.

I guess the other question is why is King William in that district? Aren't they the only 2A team and more than double the size of any other school in the district?

I guess the other question is why is King William in that district? Aren't they the only 2A team and more than double the size of any other school in the district?

The answer is geography & tradition. Not exactly perfect reasons, but those are the reasons.

Used to be the same way with New Kent & the tidewater district, but they’ve grown and moved on.

King William is a big 2A school. The tidewater district is a small 1A district. King William is bigger than any 2 schools combined and bigger than West Point, Charles City, and King & Queen COMBINED. King William should probably be in the Bay Rivers District and Bruton should probably move to the Tidewater district. Don't get me wrong, West Point is going to continue playing King William no matter what. But I think we do need to take a look at some of these districts.

a couple answers (or maybe not really answers) to what's being discussed.
I've always heard that Middlesex would barely be able to field a team the week following its KW game due to injuries. BUT, in examining past seasons' results, Middlesex played K&Q the following week and typically won that game when Jarvis was there.
I know we've gone over this again, but I believe football is the only sport that KW has dominated annually in the Tidewater District although they may be doing nearly as as good in softball although I know Mathews usually is the best softball team advancing out the Tidewater in Class 1. Sorry, I don't follow Class 2 much. Middlesex and Mathews have been the queens of volleyball and I know Mathews and WP have fielded some good boys basketball teams. I do know during the pandemic sports year KW had both its girls and boys basketball teams reach the state. My unknowledgeable guess is that K&Q and WP continue to play KW in football because of the gate.

Reactions: OHandEIGHTwhatNOW?
I mean…they play KW because they play all district opponents…but yes, I imagine KQ & especially WP would want to schedule KW if they weren’t in the same district anymore.

Reactions: Reecesdad

VHSL FOOTBALL REGION STANDINGS: THE FINAL WEEK​

And, just like that, we've reached the final week of the regular season in high school football. Let's take you through the seven main regions across the RVA, with a peek into two others, to let you know who is in, who has work to do, and what is at stake Thursday through Saturday in what is shaping up to be one of the best final regular season weeks ever!

X: Clinched Playoff Berth
Y: Clinched Playoff Berth AND Current Seed
Z: Clinched Playoff Berth AND Top Region Seed

CLASS 1, REGION A
:

1) Z--Essex 24.444 (9-0, vs Rappahannock (5-4) Friday)
2) X--King & Queen Central 19.667 (8-1, at King William (6-3) Thursday)
3) X--Northumberland 19.125 (6-2, at Lancaster (1-8) Friday)
4) X--West Point 16.667 (5-4, vs Nandua (6-3) Friday)
5) X--Westmoreland 16.5 (3-5, vs Colonial Beach (1-8) Friday)
6) X--Rappahannock 16.222 (5-4, at Essex (9-0) Friday)
7) X--Northampton 13.889 (4-5, vs Arcadia (2-7) Friday)
8) Colonial Beach 11.333 (1-8, at Westmoreland (3-5) Friday)
--
9) Middlesex 11.0 (3-6, vs John Marshall (1-8) Friday)

ANALYSIS: This region is pretty cut and dry. Essex is on top, King & Queen Central and Northumberland will each occupy either the #2 or #3 slot. West Point needs a win to clinch the first round home game in the #4 seed, but Westmoreland awaits a slip up. Rappahannock can seismically shift the middle of the field with a big upset of Essex, and wins by Nandua and Colonial Beach. It's the Beach and Middlesex battling for the right to go to Essex at #8.

CLASS 1, REGION B: 1) Riverheads 26.0, 2) Central-Lunenburg 24.667, 3) Buffalo Gap 20.111, 4) Sussex Central 17.333, 5) Franklin 16.111, 6) Surry 14.111, 7) William Campbell 14.0

CLASS 1, REGION C: 1) George Wythe (SW VA) 20.667, 2) Galax 20.625, 3) Grayson Co. 19.778, 4) Narrows 18.625

CLASS 1, REGION D: 1) Grundy 20.0, 2) Rye Cove 19.5, 3) PH-Glade Spring 19.444, 4) Twin Springs 18.25

Posted by robwitham at 6:21 PM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT