ADVERTISEMENT

2018 State Semifinals

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Do the regions rotate like the old system? For example this year A/B and C/D matchup do next years matchups switch? The old system rotated every year until each region played then it started over.

It goes by points.
I know that. Maybe i didn’t ask it correctly. The old system for example would match up teams A/B C/D then the next year A/D B/C following year A/C B/D then the rotation starts over. Regardless the higher power point team hosts but what region plays who or does it stay A/B and C/D?

What I remember is that the Region which hosts the State Semi-Finals will rotate but I'm pretty sure they stay A/B & C/D.

It'll be strange to have the 6A A/B (South Region) outside the 757 next year?. Except for that crazy 2009 Mudfest @ Thomas Dale, when was the last time that happened?

This has nothing to do with highest power point rating. What I’m asking is what regions will match up? Yes duh higher power point hosts but which region plays which after this year? I’m under the understanding they rotate every year

Reactions: Gen54 and 1Gensfan
1gensfan is correct. In football the team with the highest power point rating host. In all other sports Region A host B and C host D. They announced their mistake a month ago.

There have not been any further decisions made about rotating the regions. Yes, travel is a concern and it really does not make sense finacially in football in class 1, 2, 3, and 4. Class 5 and 6 the travel is not as bad.

Reactions: Louisadad and OCBoy
1gensfan is correct. In football the team with the highest power point rating host. In all other sports Region A host B and C host D. They announced their mistake a month ago.

There have not been any further decisions made about rotating the regions. Yes, travel is a concern and it really does not make sense finacially in football in class 1, 2, 3, and 4. Class 5 and 6 the travel is not as bad.
Thank you for being the only one understanding what I was asking.
Travel would only be for one game so I think IMO it should rotate.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Me too, but to be brutally honest many of the schools in class 4 and 5 fight the rotation issue in the name of travel, but thats not the real reason. I know this, because I have attended commissioner meetings where this issue was discussed. Prior to this year the west region fought it hard and now schools from c and d are fighting it. Salem (not the problem) has proven the east does not rule the football world, but some still will not let go of the split state idea. Class five is just as bad.

Devils, brought this up two years ago and people dismissed him by saying he was jiving, because he thought the east was better than the west.

Reactions: Gunz41 and OCBoy
Me too, but to be brutally honest many of the schools in class 4 and 5 fight the rotation issue in the name of travel, but thats not the real reason. I know this, because I have attended commissioner meetings where this issue was discussed. Prior to this year the west region fought it hard and now schools from c and d are fighting it. Salem (not the problem) has proven the east does not rule the football world, but some still will not let go of the split state idea. Class five is just as bad.

Devils, brought this up two years ago and people dismissed him by saying he was jiving, because he thought the east was better than the west.
As I was driving home from dc today I thought about this and how a 757 team (LT maybe) complained about the championship never being in the 757. Well it’s there now but where are the 757 teams. So I thought tha was interesting. Only 757 team to make it was Oscar Smith. I wish UVA held all 6 games. Everyone could then congregate. DP would love that.

Lord yes he would. He wouldnt see a darn thing though he would be too busy socializing. Drives me crazy. I just leave him at away games and find a seat. He should be a Tupperware Coordinator.

I am not sure the 757 had too much leverage. With the Liberty issue the VHSL could not change one without changing others. I loved Liberty myself, but they put the games up for bid.

Charlottesville would be good, but you could never play three games in a day logistically. Its not easy putting on these tournaments.

I would be in favor of two sites with one game on Friday and two on Saturday. That is manageable. UR Stadium (4,5,6) and UVA (1,2,3 would be fair and perfect.

Lord yes he would. He wouldnt see a darn thing though he would be too busy socializing. Drives me crazy. I just leave him at away games and find a seat. He should be a Tupperware Coordinator.

I am not sure the 757 had too much leverage. With the Liberty issue the VHSL could not change one without changing others. I loved Liberty myself, but they put the games up for bid.

Charlottesville would be good, but you could never play three games in a day logistically. Its not easy putting on these tournaments.

I would be in favor of two sites with one game on Friday and two on Saturday. That is manageable. UR Stadium (4,5,6) and UVA (1,2,3 would be fair and perfect.
I agree and hilarious

Maybe deliberately, to have the opportunity to do a post season evaluation, or maybe because they just flat missed it; but the determination to rotate the regional pairings from year to year was not specifically stated.

I'm sure it will be taken up at the spring VHSL meetings.

Reactions: Gunz41
As I was driving home from dc today I thought about this and how a 757 team (LT maybe) complained about the championship never being in the 757. Well it’s there now but where are the 757 teams. So I thought tha was interesting. Only 757 team to make it was Oscar Smith. I wish UVA held all 6 games. Everyone could then congregate. DP would love that.
To travel for the semi from say Suffolk or Williamsburg to Roanoke or Blacksburg is a little too much. Keep it at A/B and C/D. The idea to have all 6 finals at UVA is a good idea. Three on Saturday and three on Sunday. 11am, 3pm and 6pm. Too logical for VHSL.

To travel for the semi from say Suffolk or Williamsburg to Roanoke or Blacksburg is a little too much. Keep it at A/B and C/D. The idea to have all 6 finals at UVA is a good idea. Three on Saturday and three on Sunday. 11am, 3pm and 6pm. Too logical for VHSL.

I dont care where they are, but you can't do Sunday. That is the Lord's day. And even if you had to do them Sunday, you certainly couldn't and shouldn't at church time

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
It would take an arrangement that would break the VHSL's own rules. Only in exceptional circumstances, with approval of both participating schools, and the approval of the VHSL Director, can a football game be played on Sunday. To schedule a game on a Sunday will never happen.

Besides, as long as the current system is not a total financial failure, you will not see a change. We may see another change of venue in future years, but two by two by two is not going to change.

High school (vhsl) will never be played on Sunday and there is no way to pull off three games in day Lafayette. Too costly and a logistical nightmare. Not enough parking, food and most importantly time.

High school (vhsl) will never be played on Sunday and there is no way to pull off three games in day Lafayette. Too costly and a logistical nightmare. Not enough parking, food and most importantly time.
How do organizations in Florida, Georgia, and Texas pull of 3 games or more in one day at the same location? I think it’s more than logistically possible. UVa is a perfect spot for such an event. It’s relatively centrally located and plenty seating. The first game would need to start at 11am but it could be done. But it will never happen unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lafayette and OCBoy
Ok 11 start. 3 hour bus ride leaving, 1 1/2 hour warm up. That puts kids leaving way too early and does not include a pregame meal for a 11 game. Please dont say hotel. Schools cant afford that expense.

In 2009 Amherst and Christiansburg played on a Sunday because the Saturday game scheduled got snow and both teams agreed to play that Sunday and Amherst won 23 to 21. Place was packed and all the tailgaters did breakfast

Reactions: Louisadad
Ok 11 start. 3 hour bus ride leaving, 1 1/2 hour warm up. That puts kids leaving way too early and does not include a pregame meal for a 11 game. Please dont say hotel. Schools cant afford that expense.
Lol hotel is exactly what I was going to say. From my understanding, the VHSL provides reimbursement for travel and lodging for trips over a certain amount of time. I don't know what the perfect solution is but I do know that they make it work in Florida, Texas, and Georgia so, evidently it can be done.

I know in Georgia they play 8 championship games over the course of two days, four games on Friday and four on Saturday, all at the Falcons stadium. The first game starts at 10am and the last starts at 8pm. They charge $22 per ticket, good for the whole day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lafayette and OCBoy
How do organizations in Florida, Georgia, and Texas pull of 3 games or more in one day at the same location? I think it’s more than logistically possible. UVa is a perfect spot for such an event. It’s relatively centrally located and plenty seating. The first game would need to start at 11am but it could be done. But it will never happen unfortunately.
Add New Jersey to the list of three games in a day. If the NFL and baseball play on Sunday why not HS for one Sunday? Time to come into the 21st century.

Add New Jersey to the list of three games in a day. If the NFL and baseball play on Sunday why not HS for one Sunday? Time to come into the 21st century.

As important as I think football is, the Lord is way more important. The Lord is only way to have everlasting life.

Just because someone does something doesn't mean that's the way it should be donr

As important as I think football is, the Lord is way more important. The Lord is only way to have everlasting life.

Just because someone does something doesn't mean that's the way it should be donr
No need to turn this into a revival meeting. Remember, separation of church and state. VHSL is a quasi state organization.

Reactions: Lions1983
No need to turn this into a revival meeting. Remember, separation of church and state. VHSL is a quasi state organization.

Not a revival, and if you don't agree, then I feel sorrow for you.

If you want to talk about it without that part involved on individuals, ok. There are A LOT of Christians in the state who also love football. I'll guarantee that IF it were on a Sunday it would effect attendance immensely, so VHSL would not do it.

But just like someone else said on here, I am sure you will have some kind of whining because it isn't the way YOU want it.

Apparently, every game should be in Williamsburg, on a turf, on the day that benefits you, maybe preferably Sunday so there is no revival.

Lafayette, you define narcisissm. Gunz41, I applaud you for your convictions. Separation of church and state does not apply. If you play on Sunday's you will force players, parents and fans to make a decision which could affect the philosophy VHSL stands for.

Would it be fair, for team "A" to win a state championship, because team "B" has 6 members absent, because of religious convictions?

This is high school sports not the NFL. The VHSL Charter is very clear on this.

Lafayette, you define narcisissm. Gunz41, I applaud you for your convictions. Separation of church and state does not apply. If you play on Sunday's you will force players, parents and fans to make a decision which could affect the philosophy VHSL stands for.

Would it be fair, for team "A" to win a state championship, because team "B" has 6 members absent, because of religious convictions?

This is high school sports not the NFL. The VHSL Charter is very clear on this.
Not narcissism, but just from a very different background.

Not a revival, and if you don't agree, then I feel sorrow for you.

If you want to talk about it without that part involved on individuals, ok. There are A LOT of Christians in the state who also love football. I'll guarantee that IF it were on a Sunday it would effect attendance immensely, so VHSL would not do it.

But just like someone else said on here, I am sure you will have some kind of whining because it isn't the way YOU want it.

Apparently, every game should be in Williamsburg, on a turf, on the day that benefits you, maybe preferably Sunday so there is no revival.
Don’t agree with your last paragraph but just state my opinions that many would agree and many disagree like our whole country right now.

What background is that? No one is trying to force religion on you. All Gunz is saying is that no one should be forced to play on Sunday. A true football fan will go anywhere under any condition to watch a game all the while protecting the game for the KIDS. You just want everything easy and simple for you. That my friend is narcissism.

Not narcissism, but just from a very different background.

Ok that's sad but fine. But you are trying to say that your background or lack of faith and others like you should have preference over others unlike you.

Whether you have faith or not, others have the right to not face consequences because of theirs.

You want VHSL to face a whole lot of scrutiny and possible legal action to accommodate you.

How about this, no playoff games are allowed to be played on a turf field as that is not something that everyone has, and some schools can't even afford the change in cleats for their players. And everyone has played on real grass. So all the teams with a turf are different and at an advantage, so we will make a judgement call because of THEIR circumstances. Seems fair right.

Or better yet, we just have to MAKE any person of religious belief make a choice between their religion, or football because it's easier or better suited for you.

Does any state sanction and encourage playing high school sports, especially football, on Sundays?

What background is that? No one is trying to force religion on you. All Gunz is saying is that no one should be forced to play on Sunday. A true football fan will go anywhere under any condition to watch a game all the while protecting the game for the KIDS. You just want everything easy and simple for you. That my friend is narcissism.
Like the politics of today there is no agreement. Obviously my suggestion to play the finals of football on one Sunday in the year at a site like UVA as Vols85 suggests hit a nerve. Just like our game is Friday nite and York’s regional final with Hopewell was rescheduled to Saturday at 2pm is a reflection of preferences not narcissism. Best to end discussion before we gave to duel at 20 paces at a neutral site!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Ok that's sad but fine. But you are trying to say that your background or lack of faith and others like you should have preference over others unlike you.

Whether you have faith or not, others have the right to not face consequences because of theirs.

You want VHSL to face a whole lot of scrutiny and possible legal action to accommodate you.

How about this, no playoff games are allowed to be played on a turf field as that is not something that everyone has, and some schools can't even afford the change in cleats for their players. And everyone has played on real grass. So all the teams with a turf are different and at an advantage, so we will make a judgement call because of THEIR circumstances. Seems fair right.

Or better yet, we just have to MAKE any person of religious belief make a choice between their religion, or football because it's easier or better suited for you.
Playoff games for final is a special occurrence. We played on grass until about five years ago. In the finals in 2001 at Liberty it was the first time ever on turf. We had to practice at W&
M to see what it was like. No big deal.

I would lose for sure. You would force me to drive to Williamsburg, dual with an unloaded gun while you had a 30 round ar 15, because you wouldnt want to be incovenienced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT