ADVERTISEMENT

2023 State Champ Front Runners???

NNDanalyst

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 11, 2011
Let's get some convo going.....

With Riverheads out the way, who should be the favorites to take home the title this upcoming year?

In Region A both Finalist took major hits to their programs. Essex losing Robinson, Harris, Allen, & Veney (to name just a few) will hurt them but they usually reload. K&Q losing Holmes & crew will knock them down to prob bottom of the Tidewater district? This region will be wide open this year but I'm curious to hear others thoughts.....

Region B - Sussex should return a lot right? Who else???

Region C & D - not familiar with those parts but I want some intel on who to look out for?

Reactions: offmylawn
Essex should still be the favorites for Region A. The JV team did well and many of the players got some varsity playing time this past year when the starters were pulled...the player to keep an eye out for is Bryan Roane who was the lb beside Robinson. I think he will get some time on the offensive side this year.

KQ did lose a great senior class, but the cupboard isn't totally bare and they definitely won't finish at the bottom of the Tidewater District. They return 3 offensive lineman, while adding a new kid who should really help on the line on both sides. At QB, Mekhi Dabney, the brother of Malik Holmes should take over at QB after playing WR last season. Jadyn Nelson will be a junior, but has seen playing time in the backfield since he was a freshman. Ethan Pate is another rising junior who was the 2nd leading tackler last season on defense and should become more involved on offense as well.

Also I look for West Point to be better. They were very young last year and also had a ton of injuries as well. I believe they return all but four players and will be lead by RB Elijah Adkins, who got hurt around mid-season last year and didn't return.

Overall, most Region A schools lost a ton of top talent. Essex should be considered the favorite until proven otherwise, but as mentioned above, they lose a slew of players as well.

If I had to pick the state championship for next season, right now I'd go with Sussex and George Wythe.

Could Grayson or Galax knock off George Whythe? I don't know which of those 3 have most returning starters. Also Grundy was good last year will they be good again?

Grayson returns a lot so they should probably be a front runner out west, if I'm not mistaken GW loses several key players off of this year's team. Galax has to replace a few good players as well but if they can get the line going fairly quick they might surprise some teams.

Last edited:
I looked up Sussex' roster on r school, and according to that, they didn't have any seniors on last years team

In region B don’t sleep on Buffalo Gap. They always find a way to field a good team. Been playing second fiddle to Riverheads but we all know that ship has sailed for now. May return to port in a few years. Have friend who lives up there. He says they play a ridiculous hard schedule.

In region B don’t sleep on Buffalo Gap. They always find a way to field a good team. Been playing second fiddle to Riverheads but we all know that ship has sailed for now. May return to port in a few years. Have friend who lives up there. He says they play a ridiculous hard schedule.
Agreed. I look for Sussex and Buffalo Gap to be playing for the Region B championship

Kwhs95fan who u think will win region D this year and who do u think will win whatever region Galax Grayson George whythe is in

I think those Tigers will be back in the hunt, I look for big things out of Sussex.

Grayson is loaded and rumor is a couple more transfers coming in? $ 2mill plus new turf field being installed currently too.

Grayson is loaded and rumor is a couple more transfers coming in? $ 2mill plus new turf field being installed currently too.
Have they finally broke ground on the new field? I went by a week or two ago and it didn't look like they had started yet

Kwhs95fan who u think will win region D this year and who do u think will win whatever region Galax Grayson George whythe is in
Region C, my pick right now would be GW, with Grayson almost neck and neck. As for Region D, I'm not sure. That region usually seems to be the most wide open.

Reactions: KW23
GW is well coached, but in 2023 even with good execution and good coaching, the difference in talent might just be to much for GW to overcome against Grayson. If Grayson were Class 2 in 2023, those boys have a strong chance to finish 2nd in Region C behind Appo and ahead of Radford, Glenvar, Martinsville, Floyd, and Gretna. Their talent level in the fall is going to be at that kind of level.

Grayson plays Bluefield WV in Independence on Oct.13 will they be good enough to beat them or no chance?

Grayson plays Bluefield WV in Independence on Oct.13 will they be good enough to beat them or no chance?
The Beavers (Bluefield High, WV) is a whole other level. I read on another board Grayson will have their best team ever, but they aren't beating the Beavers. Bluefield is one of the frontrunners to win the AA WV state championship in 23. You might see Graham enter Salem again in December with 1 loss on its record in game 1 of the season against Bluefield.

I heard Grayson has 1 from the Bristol area and another one from NC coming in. They return almost all of their starters. I agree with Fairlawncat on Grayson and Bluefield. They aren't beating Bluefield. Bluefield, WV might actually be favored over us in game 1 in the Graham-Bluefield rivalry. It's 1 thing to be good on paper. U still got to do it on the field. Most fans here in SWVA will probably have Grayson as the favorites to come out of the West in Class 1 and go to Salem with what they got coming back

Appreciate all the info guys I live in NC but I go to a few southwest va games a year since its not far from me.

Reactions: Hokie1Pokie
Region A is ruled by Essex until someone beats them for several years. Always loaded with talent and adjust to play the type of ball they need to base on their skill guys.

Region B will have a new champ and my money is on Sussex to stand out this upcoming season. Gap will be good but they are losing some size and haven’t shown they have a deep stable of backs.

Region C will be the three headed monster at the top you guys speak of but Giles is making up ground. This one is completely dependent on who has the line play to control their opponents. All of them have very good skill players so it will be won in the trenches this year from this region.

Region D is always a dang mystery to me. There are several teams with a legit chance to reign supreme in deep SWVA. It’a always fun to see the season unfold as there is inevitably a surprise or two that we all miss.

Good luck to all this season

The Beavers (Bluefield High, WV) is a whole other level. I read on another board Grayson will have their best team ever, but they aren't beating the Beavers. Bluefield is one of the frontrunners to win the AA WV state championship in 23. You might see Graham enter Salem again in December with 1 loss on its record in game 1 of the season against Bluefield.
Bluefield is not beating Graham this year.

Bluefield is not beating Graham this year.
I'm not as confident as you are. We've never beat em 3 times in a row in 100 years...as in, we've never done it. There's many many times in the series where we win 2 in a row, and it looks like we get a 3rd win in a row for sure this time, only not to do it. After decades of experiencing this, I"ll believe it when I see it.

I'm not as confident as you are. We've never beat em 3 times in a row in 100 years...as in, we've never done it. There's many many times in the series where we win 2 in a row, and it looks like we get a 3rd win in a row for sure this time, only not to do it. After decades of experiencing this, I"ll believe it when I see it.
This will be the strongest team he's had. Last year he had 4 kids squatting more than 400. Currently he has 11. 3 of those are more than 500. 2 more are more than 600. Beaver better be ready.....these boys are built different.

or Bluefield going to Wheeling Island with one loss. That should be a slug-fest this year. Graham may be better then last season... and as mentioned above, physically stronger. Graham will have as many playmakers as Bluefield (if not more) and nobody on the field will be on the same level as Clements from Graham at the skill positions.

Sorry to get off track, back to single A. IF Grayson can hang with Bluefield, they will have a good chance to make a deep run. I feel as if it won't be close. Bluefield will have speed to burn and not many teams will match up with them athletically.

Last edited:
Region A is ruled by Essex until someone beats them for several years. Always loaded with talent and adjust to play the type of ball they need to base on their skill guys.

Region B will have a new champ and my money is on Sussex to stand out this upcoming season. Gap will be good but they are losing some size and haven’t shown they have a deep stable of backs.

Region C will be the three headed monster at the top you guys speak of but Giles is making up ground. This one is completely dependent on who has the line play to control their opponents. All of them have very good skill players so it will be won in the trenches this year from this region.

Region D is always a dang mystery to me. There are several teams with a legit chance to reign supreme in deep SWVA. It’a always fun to see the season unfold as there is inevitably a surprise or two that we all miss.

Good luck to all this season
Sussex is loaded especially at the skill positions my Tigers defensively must come together early additionally the offensive line must come to together as well. Essex is not program to be taken for granted, but if Sussex wants get back on top it will have to be at the expense of Essex. Whom ever comes out of Region (A)(B) finals will be State Champions . I’m sure coach Jones and Jefferson understands the opportunity they have to deliver. Guest who I’m picking ?

I don't know much but what I might know is that Region A might be wide open so to speak. Essex lost heavily on the talent level and can't think they will be near as good defensively. West Point might be a dark horse here. Northumberland might actually take a jump although they were outscored by a combined 133-18 in 3 games vs Essex and King & Queen.

I don't know much but what I might know is that Region A might be wide open so to speak. Essex lost heavily on the talent level and can't think they will be near as good defensively. West Point might be a dark horse here. Northumberland might actually take a jump although they were outscored by a combined 133-18 in 3 games vs Essex and King & Queen.
Northumberland took a hit on the line as well as the backfield. Essex is just built different. Been that way for 25+ years. WP is definitely a sleeper.

Folks I was talking with a good friend who lives in the Shenandoah Valley last evening. He informed me not to be happy and doing cart wheels about Riverheads going 2A. He says, more than likely after a couple years or so the school district lines might just be redrawn to get the numbers back down. Maybe below the magic number everyone used to refer to. I don’t much about what goes on up there but he lives there for past several years. Here in East Tennessee we don’t have to worry about redrawing district lines jus annexation by our three major cities.

No surprise there. But let's see how the Class 2 water feels for them. If they have success at that level it makes no sense to drop down.

Essex took a hit after this past season. So far, at least 5-6 of the 12 seniors will be playing football at the next level. Being that most games were pretty much decided by mid 3rd Q last season, it allowed for many underclassman to get some good playing time. Essex had a good jv season as well but I’m not sure what’s coming up from them. Gonna be interesting to see if this years Trojans can keep Essex rolling.

In other Essex news….Essex should be able to host any future state semi games if they make it that far and have the power points to host. The stadium is being taken care of. Bathrooms and lights were updated last year. The new track was started on last year and will be finished this spring or summer. Waiting on the weather to stay warm so they can put on the top surface. Was told it would be one of or maybe the best track in the area. The local paper did a story about new bleachers on the home side that will seat 1,500, old home bleachers will be moved to the visitors side. Along with the bleachers, the will be a new press box and new scoreboard. Most likely the football field will be fenced off too. Everything should be done before the start of the 2023 season.

There's some good 1A ball played in the Mountain Empire District with Galax, George Wythe, Giles, and Grayson. I wouldn't pick the Region A/B winner automatically over one of those G's above. The G school might be the one to go with.

Reactions: REDDEVILS00
I kind of agree with @Fairlawncat here. The issue is that’s those G teams have stated to move away from smashmouth football. They do have very good run games for the most part but aren’t relentless in their approach to it. It is truly a wide open year so anything can happen but if I was betting, I would take the A/B winner unless Grayson has a pile of athletes this season that come out of nowhere.

What about a 5th G school Grundy if i remember correctly they were a smash mouth team last season that had a great runningback. Will he be back or was he a senior? They made it to 4th round before losing to GW whyth

Ian Scammel (sp) was a Senior and region D seems to rotate through as good classes come through those schools. I am not saying it’s a lock for someone from A/B because GW had a very good team last year with Galax and Grayson being good as well. Giles is the one that still surprises me because that system works but it’s about putting the horses in the right spots.

Essex took a hit after this past season. So far, at least 5-6 of the 12 seniors will be playing football at the next level. Being that most games were pretty much decided by mid 3rd Q last season, it allowed for many underclassman to get some good playing time. Essex had a good jv season as well but I’m not sure what’s coming up from them. Gonna be interesting to see if this years Trojans can keep Essex rolling.

In other Essex news….Essex should be able to host any future state semi games if they make it that far and have the power points to host. The stadium is being taken care of. Bathrooms and lights were updated last year. The new track was started on last year and will be finished this spring or summer. Waiting on the weather to stay warm so they can put on the top surface. Was told it would be one of or maybe the best track in the area. The local paper did a story about new bleachers on the home side that will seat 1,500, old home bleachers will be moved to the visitors side. Along with the bleachers, the will be a new press box and new scoreboard. Most likely the football field will be fenced off too. Everything should be done before the start of the 2023 season.
Yes, the fencing has been erected around the athletics field/track. The new scoreboard is supposed to be one of those electronic ones where you can type in the names of the teams. Mathews has one like that. Will look like a brand new facility once that new track surface is installed and the bleachers arrive. If I'm not mistaken the football field was upgraded to Bermuda grass in the late 80s and it's taken about 35 years for the remainder of the facility to catch up with that enhancement

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT