ADVERTISEMENT

28. 24. Broad Run defeats Salem

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Great job by Broad Run QB leading them down the field last 2 minutes. 4th and 13 conversion was the game. Salem not having Martindale at d tackle really hurt Salem defense.
Congratulations to Broad Run . Good team. However, may need to learn how to act when they happen to win. Three unsportsmanlike penalties after clinching game with hail Mary interception. Showed their butts at end. Unfortunate took away from great win. But good football team. Great short passing game

Great job by Broad Run QB leading them down the field last 2 minutes. 4th and 13 conversion was the game. Salem not having Martindale at d tackle really hurt Salem defense.
Congratulations to Broad Run . Good team. However, may need to learn how to act when they happen to win. Three unsportsmanlike penalties after clinching game with hail Mary interception. Showed their butts at end. Unfortunate took away from great win. But good football team. Great short passing game

Salem’s student section was being just as unsportsmanlike leading up to the Broad Run flags. Congrats to Broad Run
I was there sitting with the kids. The students didn't do anything. Their players embarrassed themselves, their team, their coaches, and their community and really detracted from what was an excellent game.

I just got done watching the video of that last play. The players taunted student section, they reacted. Two flags thrown for unsportsmanlike on BR. A third flag was throw on other side of the field also for taunting.
Players in hand shake line also taunted adults in Salem crowd who had done nothing.
Kids will get excited and make mistakes. This should be a learning situation for them. Kids need to learn how to win and learn how to lose.
Congratulations to Broad Run

Reactions: CavsGrad and OCBoy
Salem’s student section was being just as unsportsmanlike leading up to the Broad Run flags. Congrats to Broad Run
That's what fans do. Why they are called fanatics. If you go to YouTube look for Broad Run and you will see the same antics after wins. I was totally expecting it😂😂

Reactions: OCBoy
That's what fans do. Why they are called fanatics. If you go to YouTube look for Broad Run and you will see the same antics after wins. I was totally expecting it😂😂
You are correct. I was pointing out Salem is no saint in its own right.

Doesn't matter. Broad Run has done this all season. Not because of Salem student section.
Come to think of it when Woodgove played BR in 2018 a couple of their linebackers were taunting our fans. If this really is a frequent occurrence it says volumes about the head coach. Coach Skinner would have ripped our kids a new one if they were doing that.

Reactions: SFUWO and OCBoy
My assessment of the game. Salem struggled to run the ball. Leftwich was held in check the whole game. Salem's passing game puts the fear in no one. Overthrew wide open receivers a few times. Not much pressure on BR quarterback. I'm sure not having Martindale didn't help. BR qb was pretty accurate, and ran the ball well. #11 for Salem, Logan Jr. is a hell of a player. Play calling on last Salem possession was terrible. Finally: What was up with the speaker system, cut in in out the whole game. Then the play clock died.

Reactions: OCBoy
My assessment of the game. Salem struggled to run the ball. Leftwich was held in check the whole game. Salem's passing game puts the fear in no one. Overthrew wide open receivers a few times. Not much pressure on BR quarterback. I'm sure not having Martindale didn't help. BR qb was pretty accurate, and ran the ball well. #11 for Salem, Logan Jr. is a hell of a player. Play calling on last Salem possession was terrible. Finally: What was up with the speaker system, cut in in out the whole game. Then the play clock died.
With Martindale and Lewis on the field that pressure looks completely different.

Reactions: southbottomU
You are correct. I was pointing out Salem is no saint in its own right.
Salem fans are not perfect either. I think our coaches would not tolerate some of that stuff that happened. All that being said this is what fans do is a excuse. Our fans should be the adults in the room. This type of behavior permeates our society at all levels whether it be at stadiums, or in politics or in social media or in schools. Everything is about winning at all costs. Sometimes when you win or are right you are actually wrong or are reduced as a human. This is a ballgame. What is best for the kids on both sides? What happened to,class and manners?

The speaker has been messing up ever since the CIAA game. Think it's blown. Salem's best drive was before the half. I thought they should have stayed in that formation. Looks like I'm doing pretty good in my C4 predictions. Only one I missed in final 4 was Churchland. I had BR vs Virina in the final

Broad Run = No class. I hope Varina whips their ass. They won, no excuses, But…. It will always be hanging over their heads that they didn’t beat 100% Salem defense!!

Same company that makes the McFlurry machines makes playclocks for HS fields.

Salem probably lost the game when they got inside the 20 three times during the game and came away with three field goals. Great job by kicker, but two touchdowns rather than field goals and Salem wins
Not being able to put the pressure on QB was huge. On the biggest play in the game Salem had to blitz middle linebacker to get pressure. This opened up the throwing lane to the inside slot receiver who was wide open--(safety had him and he was 12 yards off, extremely soft coverage)

Yes. Tonight was when the game was played. That's the only thing that matters in November and December. One team wins, and one team goes home.
Umm yeah that's how it works. This was 2 evenly matched teams. One scored with 32 sec left to win the game. The other team was 22-2 with a state title in the last 12 months. Can't win them all. We will see who the new champ is next week.

Reactions: VolNation85
Congrats to Broad Run. I was rooting for Salem in this one like I was Galax in Class 1A ball. I have lots of buddies in Salem. I thought the Spartans would take this game, but Broad Run showed up and busted their tails. Get em next year Spartans!

Umm yeah that's how it works. This was 2 evenly matched teams. One scored with 32 sec left to win the game. The other team was 22-2 with a state title in the last 12 months. Can't win them all. We will see who the new champ is next week.

I wasn't the one implying that's not how it works. There is no asterisk on Broad Run's win because Salem was missing a few guys. I'm fairly certain the Spartan's have caught a few breaks over the years facing teams that weren't 100%. That's the nature of the game.

Nobody is putting an asterisk by their name. Salem was fine with who they had on the field. Just came up 1 play short against a good team. Whenever you have a player out fans will what if it. Same goes for certain plays during a game. Both C4 games were close today. I expect the title game will be close too.

Reactions: wolverinedad2018
Broad Run = No class. I hope Varina whips their ass. They won, no excuses, But…. It will always be hanging over their heads that they didn’t beat 100% Salem defense!!
That’s weak. Sounds like sour grapes. Injuries are part of football. Championship teams win despite. In 2018 Lake Taylor lost Javon Harvey early in the Championship game after trying to tackle our QB. I heard the same nonsense how LT wasn’t 100%. Nobody seemed to know we lost our starting half back (1,200 yards 2017) early in the year and our top receiver (1000+ Yards 2017) played all year with a torn meniscus (300+ yards 2018). It was a great game but we were the better team that day and the best team in 4A that year Period. The players didn’t cry about not being 100% and just went out and beat the team in front of them. Broad Run beat Salem 100% yesterday.

What’s weak is how Broad Run acted at the end of the game, and apparently how they acted all year. If I’m weak because I hope they get their ass whipped, so be it.

No dog in this, but 16-17 year olds beating a perennial power like Salem on their home turf will bring out that behavior, you see it higher levels all the time kids imitate. I’m not particularly upset.

What’s weak is how Broad Run acted at the end of the game, and apparently how they acted all year. If I’m weak because I hope they get their ass whipped, so be it.
I agree with you about the behavior. In another thread I mentioned how they did the same thing to Woodgrove in 2018. Sounds like a Head Coach/Program issue. I’m all for you hoping they get their butts whipped, I felt the same way. What’s weak IMO is saying it’s hanging over their heads because a starter or two was out. Believe me the thought will never enter their minds. Salem is responsible for the loss 100% and injuries are part of the game. I’m sure BR lost players throughout the year.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Folks need to learn how to win, but conversely folks need to learn how to lose also. Cool down Kilroy. QB from BR won this game.
Two best players on field were QB for BR and Chauncy Logan number 11 for Salem.
Both big time players.
Difference in game was BR QB had the ball in his hands on every play on offense and 11 Logan only occasionally.
We will never know what would have happened if Salem would have had Martindale (dt), Lewis (de), and Moyer (defensive corner). Salem fans will always think with those players Salem gets their 11 th state title. Broad Run fans will always think it wouldn't have made any difference. Never ending argument that can never be settled.
Salem will reload. State title still goes thru Salem Virginia

Reactions: SFUWO and one man
Folks need to learn how to win, but conversely folks need to learn how to lose also. Cool down Kilroy. QB from BR won this game.
Two best players on field were QB for BR and Chauncy Logan number 11 for Salem.
Both big time players.
Difference in game was BR QB had the ball in his hands on every play on offense and 11 Logan only occasionally.
We will never know what would have happened if Salem would have had Martindale (dt), Lewis (de), and Moyer (defensive corner). Salem fans will always think with those players Salem gets their 11 th state title. Broad Run fans will always think it wouldn't have made any difference. Never ending argument that can never be settled.
Salem will reload. State title still goes thru Salem Virginia
Salem truly is the standard. Hats off to their players and coaches. Unbelievable program.

Reactions: wikki and one man
That’s weak. Sounds like sour grapes. Injuries are part of football. Championship teams win despite. In 2018 Lake Taylor lost Javon Harvey early in the Championship game after trying to tackle our QB. I heard the same nonsense how LT wasn’t 100%. Nobody seemed to know we lost our starting half back (1,200 yards 2017) early in the year and our top receiver (1000+ Yards 2017) played all year with a torn meniscus (300+ yards 2018). It was a great game but we were the better team that day and the best team in 4A that year Period. The players didn’t cry about not being 100% and just went out and beat the team in front of them. Broad Run beat Salem 100%

I agree with you about the behavior. In another thread I mentioned how they did the same thing to Woodgrove in 2018. Sounds like a Head Coach/Program issue. I’m all for you hoping they get their butts whipped, I felt the same way. What’s weak IMO is saying it’s hanging over their heads because a starter or two was out. Believe me the thought will never enter their minds. Salem is responsible for the loss 100% and injuries are part of the game. I’m sure BR lost players throughout the year.
I understand what you are saying but 1) It wasn't just injuries and 2) They just found out mid-way/late in the week. There is a big difference between backups becoming starters for several games and literally starting your first game in a semi-final playoff game.

Nobody throws at Logan more than once a game so the opposite corner is an extremely important position that Moyer was playing well in. Peyton Lewis was finally healthy from his awful ankle injury earlier in the year and had four sacks in half of a game the last time he played against a very mobile QB. Cameron Martindale is the best defensive player in all of 4A imo... just an unblockable game-changer.

Will Salem fans think this made a difference in a game where one play going different at several different parts of the game is the difference between winning and losing? Of course they will, that is logical. Should Broad Run players and fans care at all? No, they should be happy that they won and get to play in a state championship game.

Before the season started I though that Broad Run was the championship favorite. Defensively they were better than any team this season (including Martinsburg) against Salem's rushing attack. Offensively Griffis was easily the best QB that I have seen this year and the difference in play at this position was the biggest factor in the game.

I also thought the Broad Run coaching staff did a tremendous job. Had some very unique quick motions and shifts to cause mismatches and create some out-flank opportunities and were aggressive and tactical in their approach, which you have to be against Salem.

I understand what you are saying but 1) It wasn't just injuries and 2) They just found out mid-way/late in the week. There is a big difference between backups becoming starters for several games and literally starting your first game in a semi-final playoff game.

Nobody throws at Logan more than once a game so the opposite corner is an extremely important position that Moyer was playing well in. Peyton Lewis was finally healthy from his awful ankle injury earlier in the year and had four sacks in half of a game the last time he played against a very mobile QB. Cameron Martindale is the best defensive player in all of 4A imo... just an unblockable game-changer.

Will Salem fans think this made a difference in a game where one play going different at several different parts of the game is the difference between winning and losing? Of course they will, that is logical. Should Broad Run players and fans care at all? No, they should be happy that they won and get to play in a state championship game.

Before the season started I though that Broad Run was the championship favorite. Defensively they were better than any team this season (including Martinsburg) against Salem's rushing attack. Offensively Griffis was easily the best QB that I have seen this year and the difference in play at this position was the biggest factor in the game.

I also thought the Broad Run coaching staff did a tremendous job. Had some very unique quick motions and shifts to cause mismatches and create some out-flank opportunities and were aggressive and tactical in their approach, which you have to be against Salem.
Agree the players definitely would make a difference. It’s just football. Woodgrove’s Coach Skinner told my son after winning,” it takes talent, health and luck to win the whole thing. In our championship run we beat Sherando who was without their QB and top Defensive player. They definitely would have made a difference. That year I believe Lake Taylor, Blacksburg, Louisa, Eastern View, Sherando or Woodgrove could have won it. We were fortunate to have the 3 ingredients enough to win despite losing our top RB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT