ADVERTISEMENT

28. 24. Broad Run defeats Salem

Look… I get it, they’re kids, but they are 16-18 yr old kids.. They know better, while it’s exciting to win, you have Senoirs on the other side of the field who are heart broken(the just played their last game) be classy about it. Don’t pull a bunch of bullshit like that.. Last year when Salem beat Tuscaror, did you see our kids do that crap? No, you saw them console the other team. There’s a right way to do things and a wrong way, forgive me for being pissed about it, as I had a Senior out on that field! it’s not about sour grapes or any of that crap, it’s about watching heart broken seniors on the field and Broad Run acting like a bunch of little assholes!!

Just watched the game. I get the frustration from Salem fans, but if I was the Broad Run player that had the game sealing interception to knock off one of the best programs in the state, I'd be waving goodbye to the students too. They are all kids, should be allowed to have some fun.

Reality is you'll never see a Salem player pull that off in a game no matter what circumstance, that's why Salem fans are going to dislike it. But Broad Run's not really a big program in the overall scheme of things, they have minimal long-term success, so they haven't "been there" remotely as much as Salem has so it's understandable that they have no idea how to act.

Just watched the game. I get the frustration from Salem fans, but if I was the Broad Run player that had the game sealing interception to knock off one of the best programs in the state, I'd be waving goodbye to the students too. They are all kids, should be allowed to have some fun.

Reality is you'll never see a Salem player pull that off in a game no matter what circumstance, that's why Salem fans are going to dislike it. But Broad Run's not really a big program in the overall scheme of things, they have minimal long-term success, so they haven't "been there" remotely as much as Salem has so it's understandable that they have no idea how to act.
I agree it lacked class. It was directed at the student section. I saw nothing but respect toward the Salem players on the field. Salem players might not wave to the opposing teams student section after a win but they'll shoot at a players knees on the kneel down last play of the game. I also saw a couple of adult Salem fans waving goodbye to the BR fans after the go ahead field goal.

Reactions: OCBoy
So the players missing from Salem, injury, illness or other? Game was what you would expect from a state semifinal contest, in my opinion. Two good teams going at it and a play was made to win the game. Congrats to both teams!

I agree it lacked class. It was directed at the student section. I saw nothing but respect toward the Salem players on the field. Salem players might not wave to the opposing teams student section after a win but they'll shoot at a players knees on the kneel down last play of the game. I also saw a couple of adult Salem fans waving goodbye to the BR fans after the go ahead field goal.
No not Salem 🤔

Great job by Broad Run QB leading them down the field last 2 minutes. 4th and 13 conversion was the game. Salem not having Martindale at d tackle really hurt Salem defense.
Congratulations to Broad Run . Good team. However, may need to learn how to act when they happen to win. Three unsportsmanlike penalties after clinching game with hail Mary interception. Showed their butts at end. Unfortunate took away from great win. But good football team. Great short passing game
Why did they not have Martindale?

Agree the players definitely would make a difference. It’s just football. Woodgrove’s Coach Skinner told my son after winning,” it takes talent, health and luck to win the whole thing. In our championship run we beat Sherando who was without their QB and top Defensive player. They definitely would have made a difference. That year I believe Lake Taylor, Blacksburg, Louisa, Eastern View, Sherando or Woodgrove could have won it. We were fortunate to have the 3 ingredients enough to win despite losing our top RB.
Coach Skinner hit the nail on the head with that comment! It takes all three ingredients. A lot of teams have 2 of the 3 but only a select few have all 3!

As an Amherst fan who has been at games with both of these teams. Fans were not good from either of these teams at times.. Players on her other hand, I didn't see anything that was really bad. Fans are a different story

That's unfortunate. Hopefully he is well soon.
He and starting CB Moyer as well.

Also Peyton Lewis, after finally recovering from his ankle injury and playing amazing against GW Danville found out late in the week that he would have to have surgery on his shoulder. He injured it stiff-arming a player on a kickoff return but it felt great all week. Then the MRI results came in and they found out he needed the procedure.

As a Salem fan it is so frustrating because he is literally built for this type of game/offense and it is so exciting to watch him play football. More importantly it is yet another setback for a great kid and tremendous athlete. Peyton athletically has 5-star recruiting potential and I am not exaggerating at all. I just hope he has all of his injuries out the way and has a healthy career in sports from here on out... he deserves it after all he has went through.

Reactions: mike salem
He and starting CB Moyer as well.

Also Peyton Lewis, after finally recovering from his ankle injury and playing amazing against GW Danville found out late in the week that he would have to have surgery on his shoulder. He injured it stiff-arming a player on a kickoff return but it felt great all week. Then the MRI results came in and they found out he needed the procedure.

As a Salem fan it is so frustrating because he is literally built for this type of game/offense and it is so exciting to watch him play football. More importantly it is yet another setback for a great kid and tremendous athlete. Peyton athletically has 5-star recruiting potential and I am not exaggerating at all. I just hope he has all of his injuries out the way and has a healthy career in sports from here on out... he deserves it after all he has went through.
@SFUWO told me Cam Leftwich broke his left hand during the game as well. Salem did a good job of battling through and Broad Run was just a little better in the end. Good game

Reactions: SFUWO
As an Amherst fan who has been at games with both of these teams. Fans were not good from either of these teams at times.. Players on her other hand, I didn't see anything that was really bad. Fans are a different story
There was no action by fans on either side that caused three unsportsmanlike penalties. If you didn't see any action by players then why were there 3 unsportsmanlike penalties. This taunting by the players from Broad Run continued when they finished the handshake line. I was 20 yards away and I saw it and it was done with zero provacation. To Broad Runs credit one of their own players tried to stop it.
Not a huge deal but worth mentioning. If Salem players would have done it they would been condemned by me, the coaching staff, and many a Salem fan.
Wikki your hatred for Salem knows no bounds.
I guess if we followed your lead we would act the same towards Amherst, but we don't. You want to know why? You aren't important enough to care.

lmao Salem loses a game without their defensive lynchpin in the waning minutes of play, of course people are going to "What if?". Meanwhile, Salem beats a team by 20+ points in the state title game and people will still tell you the score doesn't truly describe "how close that game was", it's a joke.

It's been 13 yrs since Amherst played Broad Run. I'm willing to bet hardly anyone with the program was there back then

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It's been 13 yrs since Amherst played Broad Run. I'm willing to bet hardly anyone with the program was there back then
@SFUWO told me Cam Leftwich broke his left hand during the game as well. Salem did a good job of battling through and Broad Run was just a little better in the end. Good game
Broad Run definitely earned the win. Solid team. Good mix of talent. Much more physical than most Northern teams. State game will be interesting. Varina seems to love playing in tight games.

Broad Run definitely earned the win. Solid team. Good mix of talent. Much more physical than most Northern teams. State game will be interesting. Varina seems to love playing in tight games.
Varina vs Broad Run is gonna be a great match up. Both QB's run well. I'm watching this one then Stone Bridge vs Maury.

Look… I get it, they’re kids, but they are 16-18 yr old kids.. They know better, while it’s exciting to win, you have Senoirs on the other side of the field who are heart broken(the just played their last game) be classy about it. Don’t pull a bunch of bullshit like that.. Last year when Salem beat Tuscaror, did you see our kids do that crap? No, you saw them console the other team. There’s a right way to do things and a wrong way, forgive me for being pissed about it, as I had a Senior out on that field! it’s not about sour grapes or any of that crap, it’s about watching heart broken seniors on the field and Broad Run acting like a bunch of little assholes!!
Don't call opposing 15-17 year olds a-holes. That's a shitty thing to do

Reactions: DUDLEY93
There was no action by fans on either side that caused three unsportsmanlike penalties. If you didn't see any action by players then why were there 3 unsportsmanlike penalties. This taunting by the players from Broad Run continued when they finished the handshake line. I was 20 yards away and I saw it and it was done with zero provacation. To Broad Runs credit one of their own players tried to stop it.
Not a huge deal but worth mentioning. If Salem players would have done it they would been condemned by me, the coaching staff, and many a Salem fan.
Wikki your hatred for Salem knows no bounds.
I guess if we followed your lead we would act the same towards Amherst, but we don't. You want to know why? You aren't important enough to care.
You’re ridiculous! Did I say anything about the players? No. I said the fans. yes it happened at Salem with your fans in the parking lot on my way to my car and when we were in line it purchase tickets for the game. I wouldn’t make it up. Just because you didn’t see it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. All teams have bad fans and if you believe Salem doesn’t, then wake up. But the players for both Amherst and Salem back in the day had respect for each other.

Kids are kids , they can celebrate a hard fought win . Waving goodbye to the fans : players isn’t going to dictate their character or judgement. Now the ifs about who is or isn’t on the field is facetious, you play with what you have and that’s that. Salem fans are more old guard in terms of antics and critcism thus you hear the same arguments when this ordeal happens.

Kids are kids , they can celebrate a hard fought win . Waving goodbye to the fans : players isn’t going to dictate their character or judgement. Now the ifs about who is or isn’t on the field is facetious, you play with what you have and that’s that. Salem fans are more old guard in terms of antics and critcism thus you hear the same arguments when this ordeal happens.
I think it's funny how as soon as Salem loses people come on here and blast Salem fans. It's predictable. It's been 3 days and we are still talking about fans. Fans can do and say whatever they want. It's why we call them fanatics. Fans try to make it hard on the opposing team. I can ride up to Liberty Saturday and be a ridiculous obnoxious fan for Varina or Broad Run. It's what fans do. I myself sit back and enjoy football and don't get all crazy about it. Hardly a mention about this week's game. A lot of salty people out there. It's time to move on.

Last edited:
I saw one player that did this. He was the backup for Martindale I think. I am going to presume he was trying to get the ball and not hurt anyone. All the other players barely moved. Broad Run's YouTube has a closeup view of the play in their highlights

You know what I really missed? Being able to see Penn State commit Alex Birchmeier against Cameron Martindale. Birchmeier beat Martindale for the state championship in wrestling in a very good match and I was looking forward all season to seeing them go at it on the football field. The best OL vs the best DL in the state lining up straight across from each other... you don't get to see that often.

Don't get me wrong, Stacy Williams and Birchmeier was still a great battle when they were aligned against each other too.

Last edited:
I think it's funny how as soon as Salem loses people come on here and blast Salem fans. It's predictable. It's been 3 days and we are still talking about fans. Fans can do and say whatever they want. It's why we call them fanatics. Fans try to make it hard on the opposing team. I can ride up to Liberty Saturday and be a ridiculous obnoxious fan for Varina or Broad Run. It's what fans do. I myself sit back and enjoy football and don't get all crazy about it. Hardly a mention about this week's game. A lot of salty people out there. It's time to move on.

Not blasting them but if I’m not mistaken a Salem fan started the thread and then spoke about antics of a player/what if’s and not the substance and content of the game. Nobody is wearing rose colored glasses about fandom but when the shoe is on the other foot some of these winning programs produce claims which aren’t always grounded in fact but rather opinion. The board is dominated by central and swva fans so the talking points for the BR / Varina game aren’t going to get as much depth or insight as one about a program like Salem.

I said they were acting like little assholes! Key word is acting! Don’t use my words to fit your narrative!
1!
Jesus Christ you're a doofus. I'm not creating any narrative. But talking about a bunch of kids who just had a huge win and saying they're acting like assholes is not the way an adult should speak about someone else's kid.

Jesus Christ you're a doofus. I'm not creating any narrative. But talking about a bunch of kids who just had a huge win and saying they're acting like assholes is not the way an adult should speak about someone else's kid.
How about you and I meet up and you say that to my face!! You are an asshole!! They were acting like assholes.!! And I will gladly tell that to your face!!!

How about you and I meet up and you say that to my face!! You are an asshole!! They were acting like assholes.!! And I will gladly tell that to your face!!!
Lololololol you're a joke. Threatening to fight someone bc I said AN ADULT should not be saying that stuff about a bunch of kids celebrating a huge win. I'm literally laughing at you. Laughing almost uncontrollably at your ridiculousness. Grow up.

Lololololol you're a joke. Threatening to fight someone bc I said AN ADULT should not be saying that stuff about a bunch of kids celebrating a huge win. I'm literally laughing at you. Laughing almost uncontrollably at your ridiculousness. Grow up.
Salem would be held accountable!!! Because that’s what a winning program does..Celebrating a huge win doesn’t give anyone the right to act like assholes. You put words in my mouth, as an adult we could settle it. There’s a big difference in calling someone an asshole, than saying they’re acting like an asshole at that particular time. But you were intent on trying to make a Salem fan look bad( your narrative) you twisted my words. So again, if you would like to settle it like adults, say the word instead of calling people names behind your keyboard.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT