ADVERTISEMENT

2A Football Race

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002

FOOTBALL: VHSL Region Rankings And Analysis

And, just like that, we're down to only four football Fridays in the regular season. So let's dig into the latest Virginia High School League (VHSL) Region standings and see where teams are with three or four games remaining.

CLASS 2, REGION A:

1) Thomas Jefferson 24.667 (6-0, at J.R. Tucker Friday)
2) Poquoson 22.333 (5-1, vs. Warhill Friday)
3) Greensville County 20.333 (5-1, vs. Southampton Friday)
4) King William 20.0 (4-2, at Lafayette Friday)
5) Bruton 18.286 (5-2, bye week)
6) Nandua 17.333 (4-2, at Colonel Richardson Friday)
7) Prince Edward 17.0 (4-2, at Central Lunenburg Friday)
8) Amelia County 16.333 (3-3, at Cumberland Thursday)
9) Randolph-Henry 15.5 (3-3, vs. Arcadia Friday)
10) Brunswick 14.429 (3-4, at Franklin Thursday)
11) Nottoway 14.333 (2-4, vs. Buckingham Thursday)
12) John Marshall 1-6 (bye)

ANALYSIS: Thomas Jefferson has its destiny, and the number one seed in this region, in its hands. The Vikings can go a long way towards clinching that top spot with a win at J.R. Tucker Friday, then a home win a week from Saturday against a surging Glen Allen. Two wins over Class 5 opponents would put them in excellent position. King William hopes to put more separation between themselves and the rest of the field behind them with a win at Lafayette, as, again the #4 seed does get a first round home game. Amelia really needed Friday's victory over Nottoway, and will be scoreboard watching regarding both Prince Edward ahead of them and Randolph-Henry behind them while they're home Friday night.

Posted by robwitham at 7:18 PM

Last edited:
Question: Being that John Marshall just won their first game. Shouldn't Thomas Jefferson receive a point in the new rankings making them 25.667? I also feel like Randolph Henry will steal that 8th seed for the playoff race down the stretch. Granted its still alot of football left, but that's just my prediction.

FOOTBALL: VHSL Region Rankings And Analysis

And, just like that, we're down to only four football Fridays in the regular season. So let's dig into the latest Virginia High School League (VHSL) Region standings and see where teams are with three or four games remaining.

CLASS 2, REGION A:

1) Thomas Jefferson 24.667 (6-0, at J.R. Tucker Friday)
2) Poquoson 22.333 (5-1, vs. Warhill Friday)
3) Greensville County 20.333 (5-1, vs. Southampton Friday)
4) King William 20.0 (4-2, at Lafayette Friday)
5) Bruton 18.286 (5-2, bye week)
6) Nandua 17.333 (4-2, at Colonel Richardson Friday)
7) Prince Edward 17.0 (4-2, at Central Lunenburg Friday)
8) Amelia County 16.333 (3-3, at Cumberland Thursday)
9) Randolph-Henry 15.5 (3-3, vs. Arcadia Friday)
10) Brunswick 14.429 (3-4, at Franklin Thursday)
11) Nottoway 14.333 (2-4, vs. Buckingham Thursday)
12) John Marshall 1-6

ANALYSIS: Thomas Jefferson has its destiny, and the number one seed in this region, in its hands. The Vikings can go a long way towards clinching that top spot with a win at J.R. Tucker Friday, then a home win a week from Saturday against a surging Glen Allen. Two wins over Class 5 opponents would put them in excellent position. King William hopes to put more separation between themselves and the rest of the field behind them with a win at Lafayette, as, again the #4 seed does get a first round home game. Amelia really needed Friday's victory over Nottoway, and will be scoreboard watching regarding both Prince Edward ahead of them and Randolph-Henry behind them while they're home Friday night.

Posted by robwitham at 7:18 PM

I don't know where the original of this message went, but to answer @EPJr question (as that is how it appears above), TJ would receive 2 points into their total (148 currently), which would take their total to 150.

So adding that 2 points, their Rating Average should be 25.00

I don't know where the original of this message went, but to answer @EPJr question (as that is how it appears above), TJ would receive 2 points into their total (148 currently), which would take their total to 150.

So adding that 2 points, their Rating Average should be 25.00
none of Mondays games are accounted for since this was printed b/f they were played.

none of Mondays games are accounted for since this was printed b/f they were played.

Yes I understand.

Here is what I was replying to:

EPJr said:
Question: Being that John Marshall just won their first game. Shouldn't Thomas Jefferson receive a point in the new rankings making them 25.667...

Was simply answering this question

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2022

FOOTBALL: VHSL Region Rankings/Analysis for Week 9​

Three weeks remain in the 2022 high school football regular season. Some teams are already in the postseason, others looking to clinch the top seed in their respective region, while others are fighting to make the top eight. Let's take a deep dive into the latest Virginia High School League (VHSL) region standings containing RVA teams.

NOTE: * denotes clinching a playoff berth

CLASS 2, REGION A:

1) *Thomas Jefferson 25.714 (7-0, vs Glen Allen (3-4) Saturday)
2) Poquoson 21.857 (5-2, at Bruton (5-2) Friday)
3) King William 20.143 (4-3, at Mechanicsville (1-6) Friday)
4) Greensville County 20.0 (5-2, at Windsor (0-8) Friday)
5) Bruton 18.714 (5-2, vs Poquoson (5-2) Friday)
6) Prince Edward 17.0 (4-3, vs Nottoway (2-5) Thursday)
7) Brunswick 16.875 (4-4, bye week)
8T) Nandua 16.857 (4-3, at Arcadia (1-5) Friday)
Amelia County 16.857 (4-3, at Buckingham (6-1) Friday)
---
10) Randolph-Henry 16.333 (3-3, vs Cumberland (0-7) Friday)
11) Nottoway 14.286 (2-5, at Prince Edward (4-3) Thursday)

ANALYSIS: Thomas Jefferson has never, in their long history, started a season with eight straight wins. They can accomplish that at home Saturday against a Glen Allen team smarting after a loss at Potomac, still trying to solidify their playoff footing in Region 5C. The Vikings will take the field already knowing whether Poquoson or Bruton have won their Friday night showdown. A Bruton win and TJ win hands the #1 seed to the Vikings. King William has a chance to beat a Class 4 team in Mechanicsville to help them clinch at least one home playoff game (they still have their annual showdown with King & Queen Central to come November 3rd). The Amelia Raiders could leap well into the top eight, rather than their current tie for eighth, with a win over Buckingham, but that is a tall task. Nottoway is in desperation mode, needing to win at Prince Edward Thursday.

Posted by robwitham at 12:36 PM

Reactions: Ech8014
Thank you so much, A seems to not get much attention as B, C and D. Thanks

CLASS 2, REGION A:

1) X-Thomas Jefferson 25.0 (7-1, at Colonial Heights (4-4) Friday)
2) X-Poquoson 23.5 (6-2, at Lafayette (7-1) Friday)
3) X-King William 21.375 (5-3, vs West Point (5-2) Friday)
4) Greensville Co. 20.625 (6-2, vs Franklin (4-4) Friday)
5) Bruton 18.375 (5-3, vs Tabb (1-7) Saturday)
6) Nandua 17.875 (5-3, vs Northampton (3-4) Friday)
7) Amelia County 17.25 (4-4, vs Prince Edward (4-4) Friday)

8) Randolph-Henry 17.125 (5-3, at Nottoway (3-5) Friday)
---
9) Brunswick 17.0 (4-4, at Sussex Central (5-3) Friday)
10) Prince Edward 16.25 (4-4, at Amelia County (4-4) Friday)
11) Nottoway 16.125 (3-5, vs Randolph-Henry (5-3) Friday)

ANALYSIS: The loss to Glen Allen, coupled with Poquoson's win over Bruton, prevents Thomas Jefferson from clinching the top seed. TJ is definitely rooting for Lafayette to beat Poquoson. Greensville County is a win away from clinching, but after that, it's tricky. There's just over two points separating the #5 seed and the #10 seed. Considering that the #7 and #10 seeds do battle Friday, as does #8 and #11, we might see some teams watch their playoff chances slip away.

Posted by robwitham at 2:23 PM

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucktown434
CLASS 2, REGION A:

1) X-Thomas Jefferson 25.0 (7-1, at Colonial Heights (4-4) Friday)
2) X-Poquoson 23.5 (6-2, at Lafayette (7-1) Friday)
3) X-King William 21.375 (5-3, vs West Point (5-2) Friday)
4) Greensville Co. 20.625 (6-2, vs Franklin (4-4) Friday)
5) Bruton 18.375 (5-3, vs Tabb (1-7) Saturday)
6) Nandua 17.875 (5-3, vs Northampton (3-4) Friday)
7) Amelia County 17.25 (4-4, vs Prince Edward (4-4) Friday)

8) Randolph-Henry 17.125 (5-3, at Nottoway (3-5) Friday)
---
9) Brunswick 17.0 (4-4, at Sussex Central (5-3) Friday)
10) Prince Edward 16.25 (4-4, at Amelia County (4-4) Friday)
11) Nottoway 16.125 (3-5, vs Randolph-Henry (5-3) Friday)

ANALYSIS: The loss to Glen Allen, coupled with Poquoson's win over Bruton, prevents Thomas Jefferson from clinching the top seed. TJ is definitely rooting for Lafayette to beat Poquoson. Greensville County is a win away from clinching, but after that, it's tricky. There's just over two points separating the #5 seed and the #10 seed. Considering that the #7 and #10 seeds do battle Friday, as does #8 and #11, we might see some teams watch their playoff chances slip away.

Posted by robwitham at 2:23 PM
I’m curious on what the playoff would look like with a potential 7-3 TJ, 7-3 Poquoson, a 7-3 KW and a 8-2 Greenville.

VHSL FOOTBALL REGION STANDINGS: THE FINAL WEEK​

And, just like that, we've reached the final week of the regular season in high school football. Let's take you through the seven main regions across the RVA, with a peek into two others, to let you know who is in, who has work to do, and what is at stake Thursday through Saturday in what is shaping up to be one of the best final regular season weeks ever!

X: Clinched Playoff Berth
Y: Clinched Playoff Berth AND Current Seed
Z: Clinched Playoff Berth AND Top Region Seed

CLASS 2, REGION A
:

1) X--Thomas Jefferson 24.222 (7-2, at Mills Godwin (5-4) Friday)
2) X--Poquoson 23.444 (6-3, vs Grafton (5-4) Friday)
3) X--King William 23.111 (6-3, vs King & Queen Central (8-1) Thursday)
4) X--Greensville 21.778 (7-2, at Brunswick (5-4) Friday)
5) Nandua 19.333 (6-3, at West Point (5-4) Friday)
6T) Brunswick 18.778 (5-4, vs Greensville (7-2) Friday)
Amelia County 18.778 (5-4, vs Central-Lunenburg (9-0) Friday)
8) Bruton 18.333 (5-4, at York (6-3) Friday)
--
9) Nottoway 17.778 (4-5, at Mecklenburg Co (2-7) Friday)
10) Randolph-Henry 17.0 (5-4, at Prince Edward (4-5) Friday)
11) Prince Edward 16.222 (4-5, vs Randolph-Henry (5-4) Friday)

ANALYSIS: This is not what Thomas Jefferson envisioned just a couple of weeks ago, needing to win at Mills Godwin to hold onto the top seed in this region. Poquoson is nipping at their heels, but King William is nipping at Poquoson's. Should the top two seeds fall, if King William knocks off 8-1 King & Queen Central Thursday in their annual rivalry matchup, the Cavaliers could crash the party. Greensville is rooting for King & Queen Thursday, then need a win over Brunswick Friday to have a shot at the #3 seed. After that, get out your calculators. If Nandua, Brunswick, Amelia and Bruton all win, they're in. If Bruton falls, then the winner of Randolph-Henry and Prince Edward has a shot. For all seven teams below Greensville, it's get a win, then watch Twitter.

CLASS 2, REGION B: 1) Strasburg 25.778, 2) Luray 25.556, 3) Central-Woodstock 24.111, 4) Stuarts Draft 23.111

CLASS 2, REGION C: 1) Radford 26.667, 2) Martinsville 25.111, 3) Glenvar 22.778, 4) Appomattox 22.0

CLASS 2, REGION D: 1) Graham 28.0, 2) Ridgeview 24.333, 3) Gate City 22.444, 4) Virginia 21.889

Posted by robwitham at 6:21 PM

Region A doesn't go strictly on power points, so the seeds will be determined based on power rating, strength of schedule and one other thing. I do think this region is between KW, Poquoson and Thomas Jefferson though and I expect two of the three to be playing in the regional championship. Just all depends on how they end up seeding them.

RVA Sports Network @TheRVASportsNet
·
Fgbgy6yWYAMOkh9

ALERT: This Friday, two Playoff Projection Shows!

RADIO: #RVASportsNetworkScoreboard Show after
@glenallenfb and @DSFfootball, 101.3 FM, our website

FACEBOOK LIVE: Special start time of 10:45PM, with all the bracket reviews that are set! LINK:
https://facebook.com/events/720342668954640/?ref=newsfeed

Region A doesn't go strictly on power points, so the seeds will be determined based on power rating, strength of schedule and one other thing. I do think this region is between KW, Poquoson and Thomas Jefferson though and I expect two of the three to be playing in the regional championship. Just all depends on how they end up seeding them.

Don't know the exact place to link it, but I believe @DinwiddieProud would know where, but it appears that Region A is just Ratings again. Only Region not just Ratings is B (and that is B with the District finish thing with Bull Run)

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Don't know the exact place to link it, but I believe @DinwiddieProud would know where, but it appears that Region A is just Ratings again. Only Region not just Ratings is B (and that is B with the District finish thing with Bull Run)
Oh okay. I know last year it wasn't. I hope you're right, because I prefer to just go by the ratings anyways

Weird that Region A is doing that ratings system again. Last year, think Poquoson finished 3rd in power rating last year and somehow became the 5th or 6th seed and was forced to travel on the road for game 1 of the playoffs. If you finish in the top 4 by the rating system the VHSL has designed, you should be hosting a playoff game in round 1. They got screwed pretty good. It's one thing if they want to shuffle around 1 through 4, and then 5 through 8, but when their own system starts to effect a what would be home game anywhere else, and in any other region or classification in the state, that becomes a bit sketchy. That's what happened to Poquoson last year.

Reactions: brdfootballfan1
Oh okay. I know last year it wasn't. I hope you're right, because I prefer to just go by the ratings anyways
This was posted on C4 board early October, which is why I referred to DP

"Sorry, it didn’t copy and paste properly, but here is the Offical Regional Format.

Region Football Formats
Class 1
Atop 8 using football points
Btop 8 with #1 and 2 getting a bye using football ratings. 6 teams play first round.
Ctop 8 using football ratings
Dtop 8 using football ratings

Class 2
Atop 8 using football ratings
Btop 8 based on the football rating scale. After those 8 are in, then Bull Run will be put in order by district finish and the rating scale will be used to insert Stuarts Draft and Buckingham.

Class 3
Btop 8 using football ratings

Class 4
CBased on win-loss records in district games only, the top 4 teams from each district will qualify and seed as follows: NW1 vs D4, D2 vs NW3, NW2 vs D3, D1 vs NW4, PowerPoints will not be a factor in determining regional playoff qualifiers, except break three-way ties within a district as well as to determine host schools for Regional contests between equally seeded teams

Class 5
Btop 8 using football ratings, seeds 1 and 2 get bye, 3 – 6 by ratings.

Class 6
Dtop 8 using football ratings"

I know it is somewhere on VHSL page (as I went and read it too, but too lazy now to go find it).

But I agree, doing things different just ends up hurting someone (and usually its ones in favor of the change).

Like the Bull Run district thing, that absolutely could have killed them. And it also means for the BR that OOD games are basically meaningless. And why wouldn't SD and Buckingham vote in favor of it, there is no negative for them. They will either be where they fall in Ratings or move up

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Game of inches. Poquoson lost a heartbreaker to Grafton last night by 1 pt. How big was that 1 pt loss. KW finished 1st with 250 pts and Thomas Jefferson finished 2nd with 245. If Poquoson beats Grafton, they finish with 251 pts. That 1 pt loss took them from a 1 seed to a 3 seed. Game of inches.

Game of inches. Poquoson lost a heartbreaker to Grafton last night by 1 pt. How big was that 1 pt loss. KW finished 1st with 250 pts and Thomas Jefferson finished 2nd with 245. If Poquoson beats Grafton, they finish with 251 pts. That 1 pt loss took them from a 1 seed to a 3 seed. Game of inches.
Lee lost to Abingdon by 1 point too. I think that took them from a possible home game to traveling the first round, don’t quote me on that though. Stilll a heartbreaker losing by 1.

Reactions: KWcavs360
After the KW loss to IC Norcom I figured the region hopes were gone. Seems like KW is starting to play like a team, great run defense and the offense is moving the ball well. I could see them making a deep playoff push.

Surprised at the Poquoson score but Grafton is improving every week and Lafayette only a week ago pretty much ran Poquoson off the field. Congrats to KW. Your pretty good success helped Lafayette per RVA prediction to pass Lake Taylor for #2 seed.

Reactions: KWcavs360
Surprised at the Poquoson score but Grafton is improving every week and Lafayette only a week ago pretty much ran Poquoson off the field. Congrats to KW. Your pretty good success helped Lafayette per RVA prediction to pass Lake Taylor for #2 seed.
Glad we could be of assistance to you guys! I hope y’all make a run at the title this year as well!

CLASS 2, REGION A:
(Champion Plays Region 2B Champion in Class 2 State Semis)

QUARTERFINALS (Thursday/Friday November 10/11):
Game 1: #8 Bruton at #1 King William, Thursday, 7pm (TICKETS CASH: $7)
Game 2: #5 Brunswick at #4 Greensville, NOW Thursday, 7pm
Game 3: #7 Amelia County vs #2 Thomas Jefferson, Thursday, 7pm, Huguenot HS (TICKETS)
Game 4: #6 Nandua at #3 Poquoson, Thursday, 6:30pm

SEMIFINALS (Friday November 18):
Game 2 winner vs Game 1 winner
Game 4 winner vs Game 3 winner

CHAMPIONSHIP (Friday/Saturday November 25/26):
Semifinal Winners, time TBA

CLASS 2, REGION B:
(Champion Plays Region 2A Champion in Class 2 State Semis)

QUARTERFINALS (Thursday November 10):
Game 1: #8 East Rockingham at #1 Strasburg, Thursday, 7pm
Game 2: #5 Stuarts Draft at #4 Clarke County, Thursday, 7pm
Game 3: #7 Madison County at #2 Luray, Thursday, 7pm
Game 4: #6 Buckingham at #3 Central-Woodstock, Thursday, 7pm

SEMIFINALS (Friday November 18):
Game 2 winner vs Game 1 winner
Game 4 winner vs Game 3 winner

CHAMPIONSHIP (Friday/Saturday November 25/26):
Semifinal Winners, time TBA

Reactions: pizzzzza
Lee lost to Abingdon by 1 point too. I think that took them from a possible home game to traveling the first round, don’t quote me on that though. Stilll a heartbreaker losing by 1.
Correct. Lee went for the 2pt conversion at the end of the game, didn't get it. Dropped from a possible 3rd place to 6th.

That was a big point!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT