ADVERTISEMENT

2A West 2nd Round

There are some good matchups:

Appo-Giles
Union-DR
Graham-Martinsville
Glenvar-Richlands

(I believe this is correct pairings)
Wonder what the chances of any of these being played on Saturday is... Union-DR seems like it may be a Saturday game, others not so sure.

They will schedule them so as to prevent fans from seeing more than one game, thus losing money.

Why in the world would they play a game at 6:00? It the rational to allow folks to get home a little earlier? Heck most JV games are even at 6:30. I can't imagine that anyone coming from all the way from Big Stone Gap would mind a 7:00 kickoff.

Why in the world would they play a game at 6:00? It the rational to allow folks to get home a little earlier? Heck most JV games are even at 6:30. I can't imagine that anyone coming from all the way from Big Stone Gap would mind a 7:00 kickoff.
I don't have an exact explanation, but Wise Co. Schools already had a previously scheduled 12:30 dismissal for Friday, and IF Union were to continue advancing they are looking at several long trips, so I can only surmise that it is to keep the Friday night continuity while minimizing the late night driving for the fans. Just a guess.

It is a spectacle indeed! Even for home games. I'm anxious to see how many of our fans do come at such a "unique" time.
Is this trip as far as the one you made last year up to Clarke? If not, I think you guys fill the visitors side again! Hope you take your band. I dunno if ours will show up this weekend either. Apparently, the Band Director doesn't like to do his job.

Who made the decision DR or Union

Is this trip as far as the one you made last year up to Clarke? If not, I think you guys fill the visitors side again! Hope you take your band. I dunno if ours will show up this weekend either. Apparently, the Band Director doesn't like to do his job.
Clarke was right at 6 hrs. DR is going to be around 4.5 hrs. Our band will definitely be going. Just not sure how many members yet. I think we took 87 to Clarke last year.

I hope we fill them up! If nothing else, I'll be there. Lol.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
I don't have an exact explanation, but Wise Co. Schools already had a previously scheduled 12:30 dismissal for Friday, and IF Union were to continue advancing they are looking at several long trips, so I can only surmise that it is to keep the Friday night continuity while minimizing the late night driving for the fans. Just a guess.

It's thanksgiving break, I think they usually schedule it this way.

Last edited:
It's thanksgiving break, I think they usually schedule it this way.
I'm not sure if I follow what you mean.

When I mentioned the previously scheduled early dismissal, it was my assumption that the school decided on Friday since the kids wouldn't be missing much, if any, instructional time and to keep the continuity of a Friday night game. Then the 6 pm start so the fans could get home an hour earlier.

As a Union fan, the 6pm kickoff irritates the hell out of me. How is someone supposed to work then go to the game? 7pm is tough enough with a four hour drive, 6pm is insanity. Saturday made much more sense, but its not up to me. The staff and school shouldn't even be entertaining thoughts of a next round game, none of that matters if you lose.

As a Union fan, the 6pm kickoff irritates the hell out of me. How is someone supposed to work then go to the game? 7pm is tough enough with a four hour drive, 6pm is insanity. Saturday made much more sense, but its not up to me. The staff and school shouldn't even be entertaining thoughts of a next round game, none of that matters if you lose.
Yeah, that scheduling is a real head scratcher. Why aren't the powers that be explaining the irrationality of it?

I got no horse in the race, but this game should be played Saturday. fans could catch another good game Friday and go to Dan River Saturday.

It'll be the same way next week unless Union upsets DR. If Richlands and Graham both win, they will play next Friday at 7. If Appo and DR win, they'll play next Friday at 7.

But those travel times aren't quite as bad, and a 7pm kick gives people time to make the trip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT