ADVERTISEMENT

2C Regionals

If u never been there, Cregger Center is a nice facility, parking leaves something to be desired 🤦‍♂️ imo
I was there at the Cregger Center, when Martinsville played Northside, about 5 or 6 years ago. Martinsville's last chip run.

Reactions: OnceAKnight
2015 was the 2nd year of the back to back state title runs and I believe that was the last time Mavahi played at Roanoke College. They were pretty close to finishing the new gym when we played Northside there, lost a tough one that night.

First upset, Alleghany beats Glenvar
It's an upset, but not a major upset. Alleghany is a good basketball team that has been up and down, and when on their game, they are good. They recently played a red-hot James River team to within 7 points.

It's an upset, but not a major upset. Alleghany is a good basketball team that has been up and down, and when on their game, they are good. They recently played a red-hot James River team to within 7 points.
James River better not sleep on any team they face in the region or they will go home early. They are obviously the clear favorite but that just means they’re a target for everyone they play.

Region 2C 1st Round - Girls
Dan River 50 Martinsville 48
Glenvar 49 Appomattox 26
Nelson Co. 43 James River 31
Floyd Co. 86 Gretna 33

Region 2C 1st Round - Boys
Dan River 55 Patrick Co. 39
Radford 65 Appomattox 35
Alleghany 72 Glenvar 58
Chatham 73 Gretna 37

@DanRiverSports @Mpounder66

Reactions: OnceAKnight
Radford 65 Appo 35. best quote of the night was one of the Appo players asked one of our players what happened in football. He responded with "what happened tonight?"
Two totally different programs in appomattox from what I’ve seen. One based on faith, class & sportsmanship. The other, not so much. I don’t know how many of the kids play both sports but it sounds like at least one. Not a very smart comment when getting beat by 30!! 😂

I tried watching it online but it kept freezing up. Probably my internet. Radford looked very dangerous for the first 17-0 run that I was able to see. Appo started to stage a comeback scoring the next 9 points and then appomattox called a timeout. Weird time to use a timeout but that’s about all of the game I saw. Doesn’t count like I missed much.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Appo has some talent on their team. They make lots of mental errors that are not do to lack of talent, just several defensive gaffs. When they buckle down in half court sets on defense and concentrate, they are good, but they often just inexplicably leave a shooter open, probably just communication based, and this is where we were able to hurt them. Additionally, transition defense for Appo. Just mental lapses in not getting back on a missed shot. We exploited that and got lots of buckets in transition. But, Appo has some talent on that basketball team.

On offense for the Raiders, again the talent is there, but lots of unforced turnovers. We basically started that game up 16 points, just given to us by Appo based on Appo's unforced turnovers, and mental lapses/communication issues with half court defense and failing to get back in transition defense. If Appo could clean that up, that game is within 14 points, but communication and mental mistakes/mental concentration is part of the game.

Reactions: AntGZee
For everything you said about Appo, it describes Martinsville's season. My Dawgs are guilty of everything that you mentioned. It has been frustrating watching my Bulldawgs this year. Our best win was against Tunstall. Well, less than a week later, we lay a dinosaur egg against Halifax. 9 Ls in one year, is an anomaly in Bulldawg Country.

Last edited:
The Dogs still have a chance. I can certainly tell you as a Bobcat fan, I'm still leary of Martinsville. I know the talent is there, and with a year that's had lots of Losses for the Dogs, talent has a nasty ability to show up for one given day, so that makes Martsinville dangerous. Give credit to the teams that gave Martinsville 9 losses, but.....I know enough about the Dogs to know.......if they don't commit unforced turnovers and are mentally dialed in and communicating on defense, they have the ability to beat Radford, and I'm certain our players and coaches are well aware of the danger Martinsville can propose on that certain day where the talent shows up.

Two totally different programs in appomattox from what I’ve seen. One based on faith, class & sportsmanship. The other, not so much. I don’t know how many of the kids play both sports but it sounds like at least one. Not a very smart comment when getting beat by 30!! 😂

I tried watching it online but it kept freezing up. Probably my internet. Radford looked very dangerous for the first 17-0 run that I was able to see. Appo started to stage a comeback scoring the next 9 points and then appomattox called a timeout. Weird time to use a timeout but that’s about all of the game I saw. Doesn’t count like I missed much.
One sign that they weren't really into it was that one of the better football players that is hurt was sitting on the bench eating popcorn and sharing with his teammates. I didn't see it but was told about it after the game. Appo had no discipline with the ball.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
James River, which arguably may be the 2nd best Class 2 team in the state of Virginia gets a tough draw by opening with Alleghany/Glenvar. Of all the teams they could play in their first game, between Nelson County, Floyd County, Chatham, Dan River, they play Glenvar/Alleghany. I think James River is good enough to overcome it, but man, talking about tough luck for being the best team in the Region in the regular season.

Alleghany is dangerous. Much like Fort Chiswell in Class 1, if this team shows up, they are very, very good and create problems as they have bucket loads of talent on that team.

Beating a good team 3 times in one season is never easy, home court might be a good thing for this rematch. I recall in 2010 when JR won state, in the district tournament final played at Bath County, PM and Fox gave them all they wanted, may have went to OT if my memory is right.

Region 2C Quarterfinals (Girls - 2/21)
81 Subregion
1 Alleghany 58, 4 Nelson County 34
2 Radford 59, 3 Glenvar 42
Mountain Subregion
1 Chatham 73, 4 Dan River 42
3 Floyd County 68, 2 Patrick County 51

Brackets cross at semifinals so the matchups are:

Semifinal Games will be at Roanoke College (2/23)
6PM
- 3-MTN Floyd County vs. 1 (81) Alleghany
8PM - 2 (81) Radford vs 1 (MTN) Chatham

Region 2C Quarterfinals (Boys - 2/22)
81 Subregion
5 Alleghany at 1 James River (Buchanan)
3 Radford at 2 Nelson County

Mountain Subregion
4 Dan River at 1 Martinsville (game at Martinsville Middle School)
3 Chatham at 2 Floyd County

Brackets cross at semifinals so the matchups are:

2C Semifinals - 2/24 at Roanoke College
6PM: Floyd County/Chatham winner vs. James River/Alleghany winner
8PM Nelson County/Radford winner vs. Martinsville/Dan River winner

Both finals will be 2/25 at Roanoke College
Girls at 6PM, Boys at 8PM

Really feel JR boys will be well prepared for tonight. They understand what is at stake.
I think JR rises to the occasion. When they bring their A game, I think they are the best of the Western side of the entire bracket, but the Bears of Union might have something to say about that, and hopefully, my Bobcats do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT