ADVERTISEMENT

2C Regionals

AntGZee according to what I can find they start 2/21 w first round and then semis and finals at Roanoke College on 24th and 25th

Reactions: AntGZee
Region 2C Tournament Dates:
Feb. 18 - 1st round at higher seed (boys and girls)
Feb. 21 - quarterfinals at higher seed (girls)
Feb. 22 - quarterfinals at higher seed (boys)
Feb. 23 - semifinals at Roanoke College (girls)
Feb. 24 - semifinals at Roanoke College (boys)
Feb. 25 - finals at Roanoke College (boys and girls)

Last edited:
Reactions: OnceAKnight
Thanks Mascot, this was what I was looking for. Heard DR and Martinsville were making up the game they missed on 2-11. Have you heard the same thing.

What are the potential match ups for the Region C?

I don't know because I'm not 100% sure how they are going to do seedings. During volleyball season, they split the 12 teams in the Region into two subregions:
2C Mountain - Dan River, Chatham, Gretna, Martinsville, Floyd County, Patrick County
2C 81 - Radford, Alleghany, Glenvar, James River - Buchanan), Appomattox County, Nelson County

It would be like One side of bracket:
#1 81 (first round bye)
#2 81 (first round bye)
#3 Mountain vs. #6 Mountain
#4 Mountain vs. #5 Mountain

Other side of bracket
#1 Mountain (first round bye)
#2 Mountain (first round bye)
#3 81 vs. #6 81
#4 81 vs. #5 81

This how volleyball was done:

Last edited:
I don't know because I'm not 100% sure how they are going to do seedings. During volleyball season, they split the 12 teams in the Region into two subregions:
2C Mountain - Dan River, Chatham, Gretna, Martinsville, Floyd County, Patrick County
2C 81 - Radford, Alleghany, Glenvar, James River - Buchanan), Appomattox County, Nelson County

It would be like One side of bracket:
#1 81 (first round bye)
#2 81 (first round bye)
#3 Mountain vs. #6 Mountain
#4 Mountain vs. #5 Mountain

Other side of bracket
#1 Mountain (first round bye)
#2 Mountain (first round bye)
#3 81 vs. #6 81
#4 81 vs. #5 81

This how volleyball was done:

No problem. I'll be at the DR/Martinsville game tonight, keeping up with game stats.
Safe travels

I was just told that the top 3 seeds are James River, Nelson County, Radford. I didn't get any info beyond that. Of course games tonight and tomorrow will affect that. I was surprised because I hadn't heard anyone really talking about Nelson County.

If you hear of any word on the Mountain sub-region, let us know.

Ant, I was told by Martinsville AD that Martinsville is the 1 seed in our sub region. 1 and 2 get byes and 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. When it gets down to the final 2 in each sub region then they cross bracket with higher seeds playing the lower seeds. When it gets down to the final four all games will be at Roanoke College. For all early round games, they will be played at the higher seed. One more thing Ant, if we lose tomorrow to Halifax we will not play in the district tourney. With a loss we will be tied with Bassett and they won the draw for the tiebreaker. So it's win tomorrow or we get about a week and a half off. Only taking the top 4 seeds.

Ant, I was told by Martinsville AD that Martinsville is the 1 seed in our sub region. 1 and 2 get byes and 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. When it gets down to the final 2 in each sub region then they cross bracket with higher seeds playing the lower seeds. When it gets down to the final four all games will be at Roanoke College. For all early round games, they will be played at the higher seed. One more thing Ant, if we lose tomorrow to Halifax we will not play in the district tourney. With a loss we will be tied with Bassett and they won the draw for the tiebreaker. So it's win tomorrow or we get about a week and a half off. Only taking the top 4 seeds.
Thank you for the info.

You're right, mountain side is terrible. None of those teams need to be in the regionals. Ought to just be the six on the other side of the region. JR, Radford, Glenvar, Floyd, and the rest are far better than anyone on the Mountain side. Any of those teams would be the 1 seed in the opposite bracket.

Reactions: VAHoops11
The 81 Subregion is stronger with James River, Radford, Nelson County, & Glenvar. Nelson County is well coached & plays great defense. Alleghany is solid and Appomattox is last in that Subregion.

My takes on the Mountain
🔹Floyd County is part of the Mountain Subregion. Well coached and plays everyone tough.
🔹Martinsville you can't rule out Coach Adkins' bunch. That win at Tunstall was probably the best thing to build confidence for the Bulldogs.
🔹Dan River is easily having their worst season record-wise since when they were in the Piedmont District in the mid-2000s. Wildcat junior forward TyLyric Coleman has missed the last two weeks (8 games) due to an injury. Thankfully, DR has a strong JV team (11-2) and the Wildcats will be much better next season. (Their only 2 losses came when they were down to 6 players & missing 3-4 starters due to quarantine).
🔹Chatham has started winning down the stretch. They got a busy next week (William Campbell Monday, At Dan River Tuesday, hosting DR Wed, & likely playing Region 1st Round on Friday)
🔹Patrick County & Gretna are winless, with the Cougars getting more points for playing higher class teams in the Piedmont.

What are the possible match ups for the Mountain Sub-Region?

Martinsville is 1, Floyd is 2 both get byes. Chatham will play Gretna and Dan River plays Patrick County is how I think it plays out.
If seeds hold, Martinsville gets Dan River/Gretna winner and Floyd gets Chatham/Gretna winner
That is partial correct. However, if they do it like they did volleyball. Martinsville would play a winner from the 81 Sub-region. The top two teams in 81 subregions are on the same side as the bottom 4 in the Mountain sub-region & top two Mountain teams are paired with the bottom four 81 subregion teams.

This is the boys standings of this morning (2/15). Some seeds could shift - it will be finalize Wednesday night!
81 Sub region (81)
TeamsPoints
1- James River5.810
2 - Nelson County5.579
3 - Radford5.176
4 - Glenvar4.520
5- Alleghany4.100
6- Appomattox County2.154
Mountain Sub region (MTN)
TeamsPoints
1 - Martinsville4.150
2 - Floyd County3.180
3 - Chatham3.067
4 - Dan River2.125
5 - Patrick County0.705
6 - Gretna0.600

Potential 1st Round Matchups:
6 Appomattox at 3 Radford (winner plays #2 MTN Floyd)
5 Alleghany at 4 Glenvar (winner plays #1 MTN Martinsville)

6 Gretna at 3 Chatham (winner plays #2 81 - Nelson County)
5 Patrick County at 4 Dan River (winner plays #1 81 - James River)

Thank you for sharing. I need to find out the hallucinogenic they were taking when they came up with this setup. Floyd is the 7th best team in the region but yet they get a bye and potentially get a home game against the 3 seed that has beaten them twice. Why the Radford AD would ever agree to that says something. And ask Appo if them coming to Radford is a shorter trip.

Thank you for sharing. I need to find out the hallucinogenic they were taking when they came up with this setup. Floyd is the 7th best team in the region but yet they get a bye and potentially get a home game against the 3 seed that has beaten them twice. Why the Radford AD would ever agree to that says something. And ask Appo if them coming to Radford is a shorter trip.
Agree it is comical

I heard straight from a local AD that they will not cross until the final 4. If that's not right then he is very misinformed. Nobody has got a chance against JR and Radford so I don't really know what the fuss is about.

I heard straight from a local AD that they will not cross until the final 4. If that's not right then he is very misinformed. Nobody has got a chance against JR and Radford so I don't really know what the fuss is about.
Glenvar, Martinsville, Alleghany, and even Floyd can all beat Radford. Not saying they will, but all 4 teams are easily capable of beating us. I'm grateful for the respect, but we shouldn't be placed in the same category or level as James River as they are a good ways ahead of us.. Glenvar, Martinsville, Alleghany, and Floyd are far closer to us than we are to James River imo.

Good post Fairlawncat. I can say this about my Dawgs, " they have been Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde all year ".

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Why would you do it one way for volleyball and then do it another way for basketball? Like I said, I am going off of how they did the region for volleyball. If I'm wrong, then I apologize in advance

Now if they do it and keep each team in their sub-region, these are the UNOFFICIAL matchups:

Potential 1st Round Matchups:
81 Subregion

6 Appomattox at 3 Radford (winner plays #2 Nelson County)
5 Alleghany at 4 Glenvar (winner plays #1 James River)

Mountain Subregion
6 Gretna at 3 Chatham (winner plays #2 MTN - Floyd County)
5 Patrick County at 4 Dan River (winner plays #1 - MTN - Martinsville)

If all home teams win their first round matchups, then you got
#3 Radford at #2 Nelson County
#4 Glenvar at #1 James River

#3 Chatham at #2 Floyd County
#4 Dan River at #1 Martinsville

Then crossing at semifinals at Roanoke College

Again this is unofficial!

Agree it is comical
Volleyball was very confusing. Dan River girls never got to play its two scheduled games with GW because of their coaching issue. That's 2 wins that they were likely to receive and even with losses in both, we would have surpassed Martinsville and hosted the first round game.

Martinsville finished 3-13 (two over GW and one over William Fleming - they got 8 points for each win) and by playing in the Piedmont, they earned points when they lost twice to Tunstall, Magna Vista, Bassett, and Halifax (almost the equal to two wins). Dan River was 6-12 (twice as many wins, one less loss than MHS) and defeated Martinsville in a double header match and then had to go up to Martinsville in the first round of the region. Martinsville got the 4 seed and DR was the 5th.

DR advance and had to play the top seed out of the 81 Subregion, which was Appomattox County. The point system in the region can be somewhat confusing.

Last edited:
Question for those who know about the points system, did Dan River get any points for its win over Norfolk Academy back in late December? I don't know how points factor with private schools.

Mascot, thanks so much for sharing the information you have. seems like VHSL(or the regional leader) would publish something during the season so everyone understands.
VHSL and information don’t really go together, but in their defense I don’t know that the schools report to them some information as they should. Kind of a 2 way street I expect

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT