ADVERTISEMENT

3A East Bracket

And Rod was just at Richlands vs. Union a few weeks ago, and I'd bet he'd attest to this.
My cousin won a state title as a WR for the Page Pirates a couple of years ago, but No way in hell Altavista plays with Bird. Bird is too physical for them. Altavista was a cool little story and a good 1A team, but Bird is a different animal.
I can tell all I need to know by your post... 1A Altavista...yada yada ya..You never watched them... I did... you have automatically written them off because of their low classification...

I can tell all I need to know by your post... 1A Altavista...yada yada ya..You never watched them... I did... you have automatically written them off because of their low classification...

I watched their game on NFHSnetwork a couple months ago, sorry I was too busy winning my own state title last December and my team beat Bird!!! We went 15-0 just like Altavista and I hope you don't think they could have beaten us...I didn't write them off because of their classification I wrote them off because Bird was better point blank.

Pretty cool how time and games seen starts to bring one beyond fan and into the region of objective perspective, isn't it?

Shaunty... I have seen over 300 different teams across the nation... but it isn't rocket science to see that some of those little nowhere places have produced some of the best football I've seen in 20+ years... At the same time, I have been to some big ticket places and walked away disappointed...

I am a Brookville alum.. But more than just that... I am a fan of high school football... When you have an unbiased opinion on the game in whole, instead of the biased opinions so commonly seen here, you can put everything aside and make a pure judgement. No, I don't think Northside could have played with Dinwiddie, but yes, I do think Altavista could have competed with LC Bird... This is purely watching the talent... I dont have a dog in that fight... But I can see what is directly in front of my eyes at the same time...

I am also a gambling man... and long ago, my bookie said something that struck a cord... he said " American players will never beat the books, because they are too busy betting with their hearts instead of their heads"

Point is get out and watch some teams other than your own!!! Bees have a really good game this week against Amherst... I'm heading to Greensboro to watch Page...
Brookville? I too came from the West. Patrick Henry Roanoke. Have no bias just know what I see. You would be surprised how many games the posters on the site actually do see. I for one have seen three other virginia high school games this season besides Dinwiddie's not mention multiple scrimmages. We may not be the NC guru you are, but we know Virginia football. I may be speaking to soon, but if LT plays JF and your beloved Navy Jones I will spot you 13. Not betting with heart my brain hoss! Yes, I am an American and Virginian. Bird would beat your Bees to death.

Brookville? I too came from the West. Patrick Henry Roanoke. Have no bias just know what I see. You would be surprised how many games the posters on the site actually do see. I for one have seen three other virginia high school games this season besides Dinwiddie's not mention multiple scrimmages. We may not be the NC guru you are, but we know Virginia football. I may be speaking to soon, but if LT plays JF and your beloved Navy Jones I will spot you 13. Not betting with heart my brain hoss! Yes, I am an American and Virginian. Bird would beat your Bees to death.

NC is this week travel, next week is West VA... so no I don't consider myself a NC guru. I am from VA... I played in VA in high school and college... I also know "Our VA" football... Navy Jones is not my beloved... LT would pummel JF... and yes... oh yes... the Bees would be rocked by Bird...I am not foolish... I don't stand behind a school because they tickle my fancy... I actually watch the games... evaluate... and so on...

I am confident both about seeing as many (likely more) games than anyone in the state and about my ability to evaluate what I see.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I am confident both about seeing as many (likely more) games than anyone in the state and about my ability to evaluate what I see.
So tell us... has there ever been a year, any year, where the best team in the end could have possibly been from the lower classifications?

NC is this week travel, next week is West VA... so no I don't consider myself a NC guru. I am from VA... I played in VA in high school and college... I also know "Our VA" football... Navy Jones is not my beloved... LT would pummel JF... and yes... oh yes... the Bees would be rocked by Bird...I am not foolish... I don't stand behind a school because they tickle my fancy... I actually watch the games... evaluate... and so on...
Everybody on this website knows I am a nice fellow. That being said if you think for a minute Altavista could hang with Bird then I wouldn't trust you to evaluate a pop Warner game. You may have the credentials (college coach, headhunter or pro scout), but you certaintly are delusional. For giggles used a game simulator which is very accurate. Lowest point margin was 25. Highest was 49. Average for ten games was 36. I win 85% of the time. I'll take that bet.

Shaunty... I have seen over 300 different teams across the nation... but it isn't rocket science to see that some of those little nowhere places have produced some of the best football I've seen in 20+ years... At the same time, I have been to some big ticket places and walked away disappointed...
I already decided to let this ridiculousness go. Sorry. GL in 2015.

So tell us... has there ever been a year, any year, where the best team in the end could have possibly been from the lower classifications?
I will answer that. Phoebus and Hampton, but they were a five. Not a 1, 2, or 3.

Because
All this was sparked because the vast majority of the folks that had an opinion, haven't left their backyard to see any other team... my point is valid... YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE IN THE HIGHEST CLASSIFICATION TO BE CONSIDERED THE BEST IN YOUR STATE! Most year, NOT ALL, the best is from the higher ranks... Just so... this years best teams in SC and WVA are from the lower ranks...

Possibly?

Sure.

Is that your revolutionary statement that you've been fighting all this time for? That it is possible?

I will answer that. Phoebus and Hampton, but they were a five. Not a 1, 2, or 3.

Last time the #1 team in the state according to VHSL-reference wasn't the 6A champion was 2012 Lake Taylor. But the 1A, 2A, and 3A champion where nowhere to be found. If I remember correctly there was a post or story that Rod or either Matt did about this and where the lower divisions stack up in the overall state rankings.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Because

All this was sparked because the vast majority of the folks that had an opinion, haven't left their backyard to see any other team... my point is valid... YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE IN THE HIGHEST CLASSIFICATION TO BE CONSIDERED THE BEST IN YOUR STATE! Most year, NOT ALL, the best is from the higher ranks... Just so... this years best teams in SC and WVA are from the lower ranks...

One state whose largest city has less than 60,000 and another whose biggest city is 130,000 is what you are offering as evidence?

Possibly?

Sure.

Is that your revolutionary statement that you've been fighting all this time for? That it is possible?
YES!!!!!! some times.... not all....not even most... The team that could win it all, could be a smaller school. Look at it like this... It is unreal to think that every year, and I mean EVERY YEAR, the best football playing team is a 5A or 6A school. Unfortunately, VA does not pit the 1-6 teams against each other to prove it...

Walk softly here, 5 star. Most of these guys watching and posting are the veterans of the veterans, with respect to high school football. Telling these guys to leave their area to watch another team was kind of foolish on your part. You would be utterly amazed at the number of games these guys have seen over the years. Almost none of these guys shoots from the hip. When they make a statement, you can bet you ass that they have direct knowledge and substantial evidence to support their opinion.

I respect your right to your opinion. But you are so far off in your claim that Altavista could hang with Bird, that you make yourself appear foolish. Bird is a machine. Physical is an understatement. Depth in all positions. Tremendous coaching staff. Their program is closer to a college level program than it is to a high school program. Only a very few players ever play both ways. And that's usually situational. Bird will win their fourth straight state championship this year. To think that a team like AV could compete with Bird indicates that you don't really appreciate the disparity in the two schools. Nothing wrong with supporting you favorites. But, do yourself a favor and listen to what is being said here. There is a body of knowledge here that is as good as it gets. I can say this also. I'm convinced that there is nobody that has a better body of knowledge about VA high school than Rod Johnson. When he speaks, you would be wise to listen.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I don't see where that applies? It all depends on what talent was bred in that particular area for that particular time frame... Those 2 are just a matter of opinion for this year and this year only...[/QUO

Walk softly here, 5 star. Most of these guys watching and posting are the veterans of the veterans, with respect to high school football. Telling these guys to leave their area to watch another team was kind of foolish on your part. You would be utterly amazed at the number of games these guys have seen over the years. Almost none of these guys shoots from the hip. When they make a statement, you can bet you ass that they have direct knowledge and substantial evidence to support their opinion.

I respect your right to your opinion. But you are so far off in your claim that Altavista could hang with Bird, that you make yourself appear foolish. Bird is a machine. Physical is an understatement. Depth in all positions. Tremendous coaching staff. Their program is closer to a college level program than it is to a high school program. Only a very few players ever play both ways. And that's usually situational. Bird will win their fourth straight state championship this year. To think that a team like AV could compete with Bird indicates that you don't really appreciate the disparity in the two schools. Nothing wrong with supporting you favorites. But, do yourself a favor and listen to what is being said here. There is a body of knowledge here that is as good as it gets. I can say this also. I'm convinced that there is nobody that has a better body of knowledge about VA high school than Rod Johnson. When he speaks, you would be wise to listen.

I'm not 18... I only wish I was... I have covered high school football for 10 years with Maxpreps...This is hobby time for me...

Last edited:
Last time the #1 team in the state according to VHSL-reference wasn't the 6A champion was 2012 Lake Taylor. But the 1A, 2A, and 3A champion where nowhere to be found. If I remember correctly there was a post or story that Rod or either Matt did about this and where the lower divisions stack up in the overall state rankings.
I apologize Devils, but I think your team last year could hang. I had used LT as a previous example, so I went in a different direction. II understand the obvious. Yes, a lower team could be the best, but he specifically cited Altavista and Bird. No 1, 2, 3 could have beaten a four five or six state champion in the past three years for sure.

Not my favorites...

Our rankings are more directed for the national scale... But just to clean it up a bit... Keep in mind I clearly said Altavista WITH Navy Jones and Daquan Myers... seems that was lost in translation...

I'm not 18... I only wish I was... I have covered high school football for 10 years with Maxpreps...This is hobby time for me...

I've averaged seeing over 32 games live per year for the last ten years and routinely try to see one of the best games in the state each and every Friday night and, with the exception of Dan Trevino taking photos and videos, I've not ever run into a person from Maxpreps.com at ANY game.

Not once.

D
Our rankings are more directed for the national scale... But just to clean it up a bit... Keep in mind I clearly said Altavista WITH Navy Jones and Daquan Myers... seems that was lost in translation...
Dang you woke me up. Lol. National Rankings. You talk about guessing. Give me a break. You have state rankings don't hand me that. I would check myself, but I am too loyal to Rod, Va Preps and Rivals to give a competitor numbers. You were warned by DP. We aren't all arm chair quarterbacks on this site. Rob, Devils, and many more know this game and the talent in this state. East or west 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. One thing you found out tonight. We may not always agree, but when an intruder invades we all rally together. Good job prep posters. Have a good one MP Guru. "Rod rules!

I apologize Devils, but I think your team last year could hang. I had used LT as a previous example, so I went in a different direction. II understand the obvious. Yes, a lower team could be the best, but he specifically cited Altavista and Bird. No 1, 2, 3 could have beaten a four five or six state champion in the past three years for sure.

Oh I know last years team can hang I'm just going by VHSL-reference numbers. No way those lower teams could hang with the big boys no disrespect to them, but its about numbers. Look at what was happening in 4 with Briar Woods and Broad Run they had sheer number advantages and were racking up state titles over schools with smaller enrollments. Since the realignment they have been competitive but not dominating like in those years.

He works for MaxPreps? They don't need to send reporters to games. They have the nice Bot Story Writer.

(September 4, 2015: Luray, VA 22835) Luray Bulldogs (Luray, VA) fans left the game content Friday as they saw their football team nip the visiting Madison County Mountaineers (Madison, VA), 26-21 in a non-league test.

With the triumph, Luray improves its record to 2-0 on the campaign. The Bulldogs travel to Mason (Falls Church, VA) to confront the Mustangs in a non-league test on Friday, September 18. The Mustangs come into the test with a record of 1-0.

With the loss, Madison County drops to 0-2 on the campaign. The Mountaineers travel to East Rockingham (Elkton, VA) to confront the in a non-league test on Friday, September 11. The come into the test with a record of 0-2. East Rockingham lost 29-14 in their recent non-league test against Strasburg (Strasburg, VA)

My favorite part is where it just punts because it doesn't know the mascot for East Rockingham.

Hey I am sorry that the coverage of smaller schools is what it is... I don't deal with the auto reports. But I can tell you this... Every team that is covered by a Maxpreps writer is very in depth... We do a tremendous job on the games we cover. Plenty of video... coaches reports, player interviews... you name it... I have been with them for 10 years and only covered 5 Virginia games for them since. The games we cover are teams that are in our Xcellent 25 ratings, but not limited to just that...These are nationally ranked teams, not just Virginia... Right now, Ocean Lakes is the only team in that ranking. We do have game in a few weeks with them, but I doubt I will get it.. I don't get to say... " its where I want to go this week"... I do my job...

Now back to the point.... This all started when I made a comment that people will not put Phoebus on that pedestal after they lose some of their upcoming games. And this is possible... Everyone seems to think that the states best team has to be from the 5A or 6A ranks. This is what stoked the fire. You had bet your bottom dollar that if there wasn't any nobility to what I am saying.... I wouldn't fight for it. Yes, Altavista did lose 2 ALL-STATE caliber players from their 2014 team due to transfer. They already had a tremendous team... With that being said, another remark came in about putting a 28 point spread on it.... and yes with those factors in play, I would take Altavista. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND.... I seen both teams play....LIVE... and yes I think there is a comparison worth commenting on. NOWHERE did I say Altavista would beat LC Bird... NOWHERE!!!!

What it all comes down to is... if the only team you are such an expert on, is yours, or the one playing your team, then it is obvious that your judgement is biased. One comment was LC Bird is a machine... That kind of comment is one I expect from someone who hasn't seen a real monster. Bishop Gorman is a monster. Allen is a monster. 90% of the comments are from people that just plain and simple, have not seen the others... Its like telling me that Burger King has the best burgers... when all you ever tried was theirs and Wendy's and McDonald's. Guess what? There are hundreds of other burger places....

Most ask why I even post here. I already said... this is my backyard... this is my desire... I like Vapreps... Because I do value the opinion of the local people that talk about them. But I am not naive to believe EVERYTHING I hear or read from one single person or poster either.

Last edited:
Smaller schools like Tuscarora and Oakton?
September 18, 2015: Leesburg, VA 20176) The Tuscarora Huskies thwarted the visiting Oakton Cougars football team by a count of 28-14 in Friday's non-league outing.

With the win, Tuscarora upgrades its record to 4-0 on the season. The Huskies host Centreville (Clifton, VA) to encounter the Wildcats in a non-league outing on Friday, September 25. The Wildcats go into the outing with a record of 2-1. Centreville lost 56-21 in their recent non-league outing against Broad Run (Ashburn, VA)

With the loss, Oakton moves to 2-1 on the season. The Cougars travel to Robinson (Fairfax, VA) to encounter the Rams in a 6A Conference 5outing on Friday, September 25. The Rams go into the outing with a record of 1-2. Robinson lost 21-14 in their recent non-league outing againstLake Braddock (Burke, VA)

Neither in the Xcellent 25 ranking... If they are in these ranking... rest assure they are covered much more in depth... Last year, Centreville was covered by a writer more than a few times... because they WERE in the Xcellent 25... Every team receives some kind of report.. The top 25 team get much more than that...

Hey I am sorry that the coverage of smaller schools is what it is... I don't deal with the auto reports. But I can tell you this... Every team that is covered by a Maxpreps writer is very in depth... We do a tremendous job on the games we cover. Plenty of video... coaches reports, player interviews... you name it... I have been with them for 10 years and only covered 5 Virginia games for them since. The games we cover are teams that are in our Xcellent 25 ratings, but not limited to just that...These are nationally ranked teams, not just Virginia... Right now, Ocean Lakes is the only team in that ranking. We do have game in a few weeks with them, but I doubt I will get it.. I don't get to say... " its where I want to go this week"... I do my job...

Now back to the point.... This all started when I made a comment that people will not put Phoebus on that pedestal after they lose some of their upcoming games. And this is possible... Everyone seems to think that the states best team has to be from the 5A or 6A ranks. This is what stoked the fire. You had bet your bottom dollar that if there wasn't any nobility to what I am saying.... I wouldn't fight for it. Yes, Altavista did lose 2 ALL-STATE caliber players from their 2014 team due to transfer. They already had a tremendous team... With that being said, another remark came in about putting a 28 point spread on it.... and yes with those factors in play, I would take Altavista. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND.... I seen both teams play....LIVE... and yes I think there is a comparison worth commenting on. NOWHERE did I say Altavista would beat LC Bird... NOWHERE!!!!

What it all comes down to is... if the only team you are such an expert on, is yours, or the one playing your team, then it is obvious that your judgement is biased. One comment was LC Bird is a machine... That kind of comment is one I expect from someone who hasn't seen a real monster. Bishop Gorman is a monster. Allen is a monster. 90% of the comments are from people that just plain and simple, have not seen the others... Its like telling me that Burger King has the best burgers... when all you ever tried was theirs and Wendy's and McDonald's. Guess what? There are hundreds of other burger places....

Most ask why I even post here. I already said... this is my backyard... this is my desire... I like Vapreps... Because I do value the opinion of the local people that talk about them. But I am not naive to believe EVERYTHING I hear or read from one single person or poster either.
You are right. Other than seeing them on espn we don't know about Gorman, Allen or Hoover, but the truth is we don't care. In our eyes Bird is a machine, LT is a machine and so is others, because that's what we care about. Virginia football. Quit talking about hypotheticals and stick to what matters. 2015 Friday nights in Va. If you can't do that no one will listen or give a rip. This is my last post on this silly topic.

You are right. Other than seeing them on espn we don't know about Gorman, Allen or Hoover, but the truth is we don't care. In our eyes Bird is a machine, LT is a machine and so is others, because that's what we care about. Virginia football. Quit talking about hypotheticals and stick to what matters. 2015 Friday nights in Va. If you can't do that no one will listen or give a rip. This is my last post on this silly topic.

What is funny to me is you see SO SO SO much separation between Bird and Altavista of last year... And you claim "VA football" is all we care about...Altavista is also VA football. There is a separation, but not as distant as you think... Last time I checked, they were all between the ages of 13-18... no matter where they were from. Do you think Juan Thornhill went to UVA this year and said... I better get out of the way of all these 5A and 6A guys... Not hardly....You sound like one of those people who said Gonzaga could never play with the big boys... We see how that worked out....

Last edited:
Here this is for everyone to chew on... This puts everything about a smaller state champion being capable of playing with a larger school in perspective....

In the 2013 season, 2A Dillon High of South Carolina, with an enrollment of 850 kids, ventured out and played the highest classification team in Mallard Creek of North Carolina, a 4A school,(enrollment of 2300 easily a 6A school in VA) and lost 27-21... would you consider that they "PLAYED" with them? Both won their respective state titles... Mallard Creek was nationally ranked that year as well.

Last edited:
Neither in the Xcellent 25 ranking... If they are in these ranking... rest assure they are covered much more in depth... Last year, Centreville was covered by a writer more than a few times... because they WERE in the Xcellent 25... Every team receives some kind of report.. The top 25 team get much more than that...
Tuscarora is currently ranked 25th in the state by Maxpreps. I have no idea what Xcellent 25 means.

Oh wait, now I see it. There is one VA school in the Xcellent 25. No wonder Rod has never seen any of you at the one school you deem important enough to cover.

Tuscarora is currently ranked 25th in the state by Maxpreps. I have no idea what Xcellent 25 means.

Xcellent 25 is a writers poll... Every team in each state get a computer ranking...This is in addition to the state and national rankings. Every team that suits up get a ranking. Tuscarora is currently 23rd in the state and somewhere in the 800's in the national ranking. Ocean Lakes is currently 1st in the state, 44th in the national, and 8th in the Xcellent 25(the writers poll)

Oh wait, now I see it. There is one VA school in the Xcellent 25. No wonder Rod has never seen any of you at the one school you deem important enough to cover.

I don't deal with the computer rankings. I only vote in the Xcellent 25... there are many reporters out there, but not as many as schools out there... So if Rod has never seen one of us... its because of complete coincidence or the match up was not ranked in our writers poll... We cover every game for the teams in the Xcellent 25, but not just that... To be completely honest, my last 3 games were NOT Xcellent 25 teams... Unfortunately, our region hasn't produced a whole lot of highly national ranking teams... one or two, here and there..

And just before anyone says this... I am not here promoting Maxpreps... We have plenty of people that already do that. I enjoy what I read here. The local coverage is great. I only hope we are all grown here... Everyone should read and write where they so choose...

if we are gonna be brash,,,lets just end the season now and hand phoebus the trophy...for that matter, in the sake of saving money, injuries, blowouts, etc.., cancel football in 3a until the vhsl reclassifies phoebus and just give them the next 5 yrs worth of state trophies. the rest of the state is playing at the level of jr. league when matched with phoebus....sorry boys, 3a east will rule the next decade as long as phoebus is there...phoebus beats jm 60-0 unless they put 4th string in...then I see maybe 55-6...keep in mind jm squeaked by a very poor outing by York (40-0)loss to laf.....plus side?! look at how much yard work we can all get done now

I've been reading these comments and let me be honest and realistic about my Phoebus Phantoms. I dunno where people are getting the idea that Phoebus is going to run through Div 3 like water. Two reasons. 1. There is some very stiff competition in Div 3. MV, JM, W Ablemarle, Northside, and many more are tough. 2. This is not the Phoebus of a few years ago that were always smaller but was so dominant and intimidating and could matchup with any team in the state of VA physically. This is a good team with talent this year but we have a ways to go to get back to that elite level. The good thing is, the Phoebus coaches aren't blind and realize that this is a marathon and not a sprint. This 2015 squad is getting better with each game. They will be a tough out come playoff but as of now, NO, we are not a shoe in for anything. And that's not the mentality we're carrying.

Reactions: 5starpick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT