ADVERTISEMENT

3A Region Final: #3 Phoebus Phantoms at #1 Hopewell Blue Devils

Who will win

• Hopwell High School

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • Phoebus High School

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
I'm picking Phoebus in a surprise to most but not to me. Hopewell will be a handful but I believe Phoebus will be up to the challenge by playing a disciplined, physical, and focused ball game. Trey Henderson and Robert Briggs will make plays of course but I believe the Phantoms will limit just how effective those plays are. Phoebus will win by doing what we do. Boring ball control and solid, sound defense in a barn burner. 31-24.

Last edited:
Reactions: fattyhawk2013
This is a 50 -50 game but I would have to give the edge to Hopewell based on these three things: Henderson+Coaching+Athletes. They utilize Henderson in multiple ways and that will create problems. Phoebus creates problems with their style of play and they have athletes and has the speed to match Hopewell. Plus they have been there before but Hopewell has played against better opposition and has a good coach that knows how to make adjustments and take advantage of mistakes. Phoebus hasn't seen noone like Henderson this year and I think he is a mismatch for anybody no matter what division it is. I'm rooting for Phoebus to win and I wouldn't be surprised if they won. Coach Blunt has his kids dialed in and they are playing inspired ball right now. This will be a great game hands down. I predict Hopewell 28 Phoebus 23. Here's Why: Phoebus plays from behind which takes them away from their strengths. You can't turn the ball over to Hopewell and expect to win. Phoebus rushed the ball for 342 yards against York. I don't think they can beat Hopewell just being methodical. They have to be balanced to offset what Hopewell does. Daniels has turned the ball over in recents games(big games) and that will hurt the Phantoms. I always keep my opinions honest. I hope that I'm wrong 100%.

Reactions: PHSBlue&Gold
I'm picking Phoebus in a surprise to most but not to me. Hopewell will be a handful but I believe will be up to the challenge by playing a disciplined, physical, and focused ball game. Trey Henderson and Robert Briggs will make plays of course but I believe the Phantoms will limit just how effective those plays are. Phoebus will win by doing what we do. Boring ball control and solid, sound defense in a barn burner. 31-24.
Phoebus has the ingredients for sure. They need to be able to cook the meal though.

Reactions: PHSBlue&Gold
I'm picking Phoebus in a surprise to most but not to me. Hopewell will be a handful but I believe will be up to the challenge by playing a disciplined, physical, and focused ball game. Trey Henderson and Robert Briggs will make plays of course but I believe the Phantoms will limit just how effective those plays are. Phoebus will win by doing what we do. Boring ball control and solid, sound defense in a barn burner. 31-24.

I’m not knocking the faith in your team, just asking a question. Do you really think your Phoebus team with really only 2 (three if you count York) quality wins, will score more points than Hopewell defense has allowed all year while holding them to a season low points total.

I’m not knocking the faith in your team, just asking a question. Do you really think your Phoebus team with really only 2 (three if you count York) quality wins, will score more points than Hopewell defense has allowed all year while holding them to a season low points total.
Hopewell’s wins against Dale and Dinwiddie right now look very impressive considering what these two teams have done in the playoffs.

Phoebus beat Warwick, Woodside, York, Hampton and played Lake Taylor and loss by one. All quality teams that made the playoffs. Warwick and Woodside could have won their 2nd round playoff game against higher seeds. Lake Taylor is still in the playoffs and Phoebus was just too much for York. Phoebus can play with anybody and thats why this game is so intriguing. They have speed, experience and athletes too. Both Hopewell and Phoebus will have played their best team this season when they face each other. If Matoaco and Dinwiddie can hang with Hopewell, what makes anybody think that Phoebus can't? This is a close game that will be won in the 4th qtr. I favor Hopewell slightly. I think the central fans are going to be very surprised Friday night. If Phoebus wins, the eastern region will not be surprised. I just saying...

Reactions: st8chmpLB
Phoebus beat Warwick, Woodside, York, Hampton and played Lake Taylor and loss by one. All quality teams that made the playoffs. Warwick and Woodside could have won their 2nd round playoff game against higher seeds. Lake Taylor is still in the playoffs and Phoebus was just too much for York. Phoebus can play with anybody and thats why this game is so intriguing. They have speed, experience and athletes too. Both Hopewell and Phoebus will have played their best team this season when they face each other. If Matoaco and Dinwiddie can hang with Hopewell, what makes anybody think that Phoebus can't? This is a close game that will be won in the 4th qtr. I favor Hopewell slightly. I think the central fans are going to be very surprised Friday night. If Phoebus wins, the eastern region will not be surprised. I just saying...

Our Starters barely played against Matoaca, and Dinwiddie is playing for a regional championship this week too. Warwick doesn’t count as a quality win they just beat up on weak PD teams, and York was drastically overrated coming from a weak BRD. I wouldn’t count Petersburg as a quality win for Hopewell and that’s about the talent level of York. So really the only quality wins are Woodside and Hampton. Norcom also lost to Lake Taylor by 1 and you see we made quick work of them. Compare that too Hopewell beating Dale, Dinwiddie, Prince George(playoff team), and Norcom(x2)

Our Starters barely played against Matoaca, and Dinwiddie is playing for a regional championship this week too. Warwick doesn’t count as a quality win they just beat up on weak PD teams, and York was drastically overrated coming from a weak BRD. I wouldn’t count Petersburg as a quality win for Hopewell and that’s about the talent level of York. So really the only quality wins are Woodside and Hampton. Norcom also lost to Lake Taylor by 1 and you see we made quick work of them. Compare that too Hopewell beating Dale, Dinwiddie, Prince George(playoff team), and Norcom(x2)
Phoebus will be the best team y'all have seen all year. This is an experienced group that returns virtually everyone from last years title game. lol The last time Phoebus played Hopewell (2017), the blue devils escaped with a one point victory 7-6. Phoebus beat the same teams that year including Lake Taylor. Its ok to root for your team as well. If you are basing a Hopewell win off of who you played this year versus who Phoebus played, remember this.....Hopewell played the same teams lastyear and got beat by Norcom lastyear in the playoffs at home. The very next week Phoebus beat Norcom and they played their same schedule as of this year. lol Phoebus matches up with Hopewell. Y'all are gonna need all of your starters for this game. lol

Last edited:
Hopewell 35 - Phoebus 14 this year in 2019, not last year, not 2 years ago, Next Saturday. We will be by far the best team y’all have seen. Front 7 will be too much to handle, All 3 running backs will eat. Oline is big and physical. They will have Phoebus frustrated playing undisciplined football mad yelling at each other, getting unsportsmanlike penalties, before halftime.

Last edited:
Hopewell 35 - Phoebus 14 this year in 2019, not last year, not 2 years ago, Next Saturday. We will be by far the best team y’all have seen. Front 7 will be too much to handle, All 3 running backs will eat. Online is big and physical. They will have Phoebus frustrated playing undisciplined football mad yelling at each other, getting unsportsmanlike penalties, before halftime.
This will be the best team Phoebus have seen all year in Hopewell. No question. Phoebus matches up to Hopewell. I believe Phoebus will play some good football this weekend. This is a big game. Phoebus is not new to this. They are true to this. They love competition and I believe they will play their best game against a Great Hopewell team. If Hopewell wins this game, much respect to them; and if Phoebus beat Hopewell, I hope they would have earned a little respect.

Reactions: BlueDevil55
This will be the best team Phoebus have seen all year in Hopewell. No question. Phoebus matches up to Hopewell. I believe Phoebus will play some good football this weekend. This is a big game. Phoebus is not new to this. They are true to this. They love competition and I believe they will play their best game against a Great Hopewell team. If Hopewell wins this game, much respect to them; and if Phoebus beat Hopewell, I hope they would have earned a little respect.

The will definitely earn respect if they can pull it off

Is Henderson, Briggs and the QB all Juniors?

Yes they are all Juniors. We have a young team across the board. Our seniors are a couple of db’s including #5 Jacen Fowlkes (who is also a 2x class 3 state runner up 170lb wrestler) and a couple of lineman, and #3 Cox

Unfortunately not really. I wish there was that type of fan culture here but they really just show up. It doesn’t help that the field is 2 miles from the High School either.

Wow people are sleeping on Phoebus. Team has been together since kids and are hungry and motivated. From what I saw at practice the kids are taking this one serious and focusing. Should be a good game we definitely matchup with Hopewell. I’m calling it now this will be a scholarship game for S Cory Wilson.

Like I’ve been saying all year Phoebus benefited zero from playing the schedule they did...game 13 and I finally get to see how good we are this year.

He looks like a really good player. Where does he have offers from?

UTSA, Delaware, Army, and Navy have offered. He has JMU, Duke, East Carolina, and Cincinnati ready to offer. I’m sure he has a lot more interest right now i just haven’t been around lately to ask.

23 yards for Phoebus in first half, 190 for Hopewell. Pretty lopsided so far. Little surprised.

Yea, it shouldn’t be close at all.
42-6, imo. Best of luck! Maybe next year we can visit you guys. Only 12 seniors and entire offensive line returns with some excellent backs and our Qb.

now all Lafayette needs to do is jettison BRD Jamestown, Bruton and Grafton and schedule some real teams to prepare. C’mon Laf Ad!!

Last edited:
EKpogxZWkAAnjIR

Final:
Hopewell 19 Phoebus 6.
Blue Devils win 3A Region Championship & advance to State Semifinals

It wasn't turnovers, penalties, or excuses. We lost to an outstanding team. We have to get bigger, stronger, and better in the trenches next year. Hopewell will be hard to beat.
I thought yalls defense played well and kept the team in it. Iam not sure what the time of possession was but it seemed like they were on the field a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT