ADVERTISEMENT

4A West 2017

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
I wasn't going to start this thread until after the State Championship but I just couldn't wait. It's time to start thinking about next year guys. The State Champion will be decided on Saturday, but let's take a look at the contenders for next year, and let's hear some expert's thoughts on these teams for 2017...

Salem: The Spartans, as of now, are on a 12 game winning streak after their season-opening loss to Amherst. Like Dinwiddie, the Spartans lose nifty QB Noah Beckley, but, again, Salem should have little trouble replacing him. The real story earlier in the year was Ramsey, but the Spartans continued to role without him. Viante Tucker and Nick Wade are also back. Salem should be very good again.

Woodgrove: The Wolverines have a lot to replace. QB Mike Kovich, top WR Mason Gryniuk, SS Chima Kpaduwa, and OLB Kevin Burke are all gone, thanks to graduation. Woodgrove loses key players all over the field. I'm just not sure how the new set of starters is going to look for them I expect them to be good, but I don't see them having an undefeated regular season again. Prove me wrong, Wolverines!

Dominion: Both QBs, Mccants and Forbes, are gone, along with starting DE Tommy Christ, plus Jason Robinson, Billie Walker and Tucker Strycharz. Dominion rolled through the regular season after their early season loss to Woodgrove, a game they avenged later in the playoffs. The Titans went 10-3, but, again, fall victim to graduation. QB Thomas Jarman will likely get the new starting job. Dominion is well-coached, so they'll likely be very good again. We will see.

Amherst: Woodfolk, Spencer, Page, Booker, Collins, Jones. All are gone. DT David Braxton is back, as is QB Keshon Turner, who was injured some of the year. Amherst's QB situation looks good, because Turner's first game of the year was a 42-40 victory at Salem. Amherst is a very strong program indeed. As always, it will be difficult to survive that Lynchburg-area schedule, but the Lancers will be capable of doing it again.

Charlottesville: QB Sam Neale is back, along with starting RB Sabias Folley and two of the the three deadly SB's in Rakeem Davis and Lorenzo Louderback. Charlottesville finally had a winning season, finishing 7-5, and should be even better this year. The non-district schedule is tough, with EC Glass, James Monroe and Harrisonburg, but the Black Knights should have the pieces to put together another successful season.

Millbrook: Much like Charlottesville, the Pioneers are young, and have a lot of key pieces back. RB Pk Kier is gone, Savon Smith, QB Noah Robinson, and Tyren Gay are all sophomores, along with several key juniors such as Brandon Shingleton and Tramell Anthony. Millbrook is poised for a good year, or maybe multiple years, if they can repeat from their success from lost year.

William Byrd: Two words: Larry Basham. The RB will be back for one more year in Vinton. The Terriers also return some key defensive players, such as Taylor Johnson and Logan Taylor, the defense that held Staunton River to 6 points. Byrd does lose it's fair share of seniors, but they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Predicted 4A West Top 7:
1. Salem
2. Amherst
3. William Byrd
4. Charlottesville
5. Woodgrove
6. Millbrook
7. Dominion

I wasn't going to start this thread until after the State Championship but I just couldn't wait. It's time to start thinking about next year guys. The State Champion will be decided on Saturday, but let's take a look at the contenders for next year, and let's hear some expert's thoughts on these teams for 2017...

Salem: The Spartans, as of now, are on a 12 game winning streak after their season-opening loss to Amherst. Like Dinwiddie, the Spartans lose nifty QB Noah Beckley, but, again, Salem should have little trouble replacing him. The real story earlier in the year was Ramsey, but the Spartans continued to role without him. Viante Tucker and Nick Wade are also back. Salem should be very good again.

Woodgrove: The Wolverines have a lot to replace. QB Mike Kovich, top WR Mason Gryniuk, SS Chima Kpaduwa, and OLB Kevin Burke are all gone, thanks to graduation. Woodgrove loses key players all over the field. I'm just not sure how the new set of starters is going to look for them I expect them to be good, but I don't see them having an undefeated regular season again. Prove me wrong, Wolverines!

Dominion: Both QBs, Mccants and Forbes, are gone, along with starting DE Tommy Christ, plus Jason Robinson, Billie Walker and Tucker Strycharz. Dominion rolled through the regular season after their early season loss to Woodgrove, a game they avenged later in the playoffs. The Titans went 10-3, but, again, fall victim to graduation. QB Thomas Jarman will likely get the new starting job. Dominion is well-coached, so they'll likely be very good again. We will see.

Amherst: Woodfolk, Spencer, Page, Booker, Collins, Jones. All are gone. DT David Braxton is back, as is QB Keshon Turner, who was injured some of the year. Amherst's QB situation looks good, because Turner's first game of the year was a 42-40 victory at Salem. Amherst is a very strong program indeed. As always, it will be difficult to survive that Lynchburg-area schedule, but the Lancers will be capable of doing it again.

Charlottesville: QB Sam Neale is back, along with starting RB Sabias Folley and two of the the three deadly SB's in Rakeem Davis and Lorenzo Louderback. Charlottesville finally had a winning season, finishing 7-5, and should be even better this year. The non-district schedule is tough, with EC Glass, James Monroe and Harrisonburg, but the Black Knights should have the pieces to put together another successful season.

Millbrook: Much like Charlottesville, the Pioneers are young, and have a lot of key pieces back. RB Pk Kier is gone, Savon Smith, QB Noah Robinson, and Tyren Gay are all sophomores, along with several key juniors such as Brandon Shingleton and Tramell Anthony. Millbrook is poised for a good year, or maybe multiple years, if they can repeat from their success from lost year.

William Byrd: Two words: Larry Basham. The RB will be back for one more year in Vinton. The Terriers also return some key defensive players, such as Taylor Johnson and Logan Taylor, the defense that held Staunton River to 6 points. Byrd does lose it's fair share of seniors, but they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Predicted 4A West Top 7:
1. Salem
2. Amherst
3. William Byrd
4. Charlottesville
5. Woodgrove
6. Millbrook
7. Dominion
Very good post here. I do think JF will factor in again next year and I could see them winning the Seminole. Blacksburg (I think) is moving up to 4A next year and they have a bunch of players back. If they have a good quarterback waiting in the wings they could be very dangerous next year.

I agree on William Byrd, I think they will be stout on both sides of the ball but the loss of the two defensive ends (The best set I have seen in person this year) will be tough as those were two-way starters.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I hate to rain on the parade that is the discussion of top teams in 4A west next year but, everyone does know that there is no more East or West as of next year, right? At least until the 2020 season. The VHSL has realigned (yet again) to go back to the four regions format. Class 4 (4A) will be broken down into Regions A, B, C, and D.

With that being said, only two things are guaranteed...1. it will be tough to determine the top teams in the west since the west no longer exists and 2. the new Region D looks straight brutal for any team! But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-final-24-region-alignment-plan1.pdf

I hate to rain on the parade that is the discussion of top teams in 4A west next year but, everyone does know that there is no more East or West as of next year, right? At least until the 2020 season. The VHSL has realigned (yet again) to go back to the four regions format. Class 4 (4A) will be broken down into Regions A, B, C, and D.

With that being said, only two things are guaranteed...1. it will be tough to determine the top teams in the west since the west no longer exists and 2. the new Region D looks straight brutal for any team! But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

Class 4D 2016 record

Amherst 9-3
Bassett 2-8
Blacksburg 9-5
William Byrd 10-2
Carroll Co 0-10
Charlottesville 7-5
E.C. Glass 6-4
J.F. 2-8
L.C.A. 5-5
Pulaski 7-4
Salem 12-1
GW-Danville 8-3

@Volsnation85 Region D is a tough group of teams and the 2017 championship team could certainly come from this group, but it is not the best according to this seasons records.

I am not sure which region was best and it really is irrelvant regarding next year, but Region B was a bit better than D. Region D (12 teams) 77-58 win pct. 57. Region B (13 teams) 91-59 win pct. 61. It really is not about East and West anymore. Its going to be crazy in all areas. Think about these hypothetical final four. Salem vs. LT and Sherando vs. Dinwiddie or Louisa vs. Charlottesville and W. Byrd vs. Lafayette. Oh my. Great for the fans.

Region B
Caroline 2-8
Chancellor 9-3
Courtland 5-6
Dinwiddie 14-0
Eastern View 13-1
Hanover 2-8
PH Ashland (5a) 8-4
Huguenot 3-7
King George 6-5
Louisa 8-3
Midlothian 2-8
Monacan 9-3
Powhatan 9-3

Is it a given that the champions from Regions C and D will meet in the state semifinals? I could see Region C lobbying to pair up with Region B or to have a rotation where the Regions rotate semi-final match ups as was once done in Group AAA. Will the Regions alternate hosting the state semi-finals or will the team with a higher power point rating host? Will all of the Regions have eight playoff teams? I realize that these questions may not be settled now.

No it will be rotating like the old days. I was just using a hypothetical situation.

@Volsnation85 Region D is a tough group of teams and the 2017 championship team could certainly come from this group, but it is not the best according to this seasons records.

I am not sure which region was best and it really is irrelvant regarding next year, but Region B was a bit better than D. Region D (12 teams) 77-58 win pct. 57. Region B (13 teams) 91-59 win pct. 61. It really is not about East and West anymore. Its going to be crazy in all areas. Think about these hypothetical final four. Salem vs. LT and Sherando vs. Dinwiddie or Louisa vs. Charlottesville and W. Byrd vs. Lafayette. Oh my. Great for the fans.

Region B
Caroline 2-8
Chancellor 9-3
Courtland 5-6
Dinwiddie 14-0
Eastern View 13-1
Hanover 2-8
PH Ashland (5a) 8-4
Huguenot 3-7
King George 6-5
Louisa 8-3
Midlothian 2-8
Monacan 9-3
Powhatan 9-3
Great post! Things will definitely be crazy! It has the potential for some great match-ups across the state.

Region B
Caroline 2-8
Chancellor 9-3
Courtland 5-6
Dinwiddie 14-0
Eastern View 13-1
Hanover 2-8
PH Ashland (5a) 8-4
Huguenot 3-7
King George 6-5
Louisa 8-3
Midlothian 2-8
Monacan 9-3
Powhatan 9-3
In defense of Region D, which I may or may not be biased towards ;), there were only 3 teams with losing records this year as opposed to 5 with losing records in Region B this year.

John Champe will be in the mix in November next year. Team finished 8-4 and has more coming back than either Woodgrove or Dominion.

Agreed Vols, but in a hypothetical eight team regional those 5 would not make the playoffs.

Just a side note for information purposes Region B encompasses four districts Dominion , Capital, Jefferson, and Central. These Disricts play some very tough 5a and 6a schools (LC Bird, Manchester, Highland Springs, Varina, Meadowbrook to name a few) Don't be fooled by some of the losses by these teams. Each region has their traditionally bad teams and sometimes things change from year to year.

Not trying to insinuate either region is better than the other. All of the regions have good teams. It will all play out the field next season. We can actually get a preview of a b and d match up this Saturday. Salem and Dinwiddie play each other in the regular season for the next two years.

How many teams will make the playoffs in each region given that the regions have different team totals? Region D has 12 teams while A & B have 13 and C has 14.

John Champe will be in the mix in November next year. Team finished 8-4 and has more coming back than either Woodgrove or Dominion.

I would agree and say they would for sure be in the mix in 4A but they move up to 5A next year. Stone Bridge, Broad Run, Pot Falls, Briar Woods will be their new district/region mates so they'll be up against a much different animal next season. Good Luck to them though!

Yeah that is right. Thought they had another year. Guess I onto the 5A board to spread my misinformation. Merry Christmas.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Yeah that is right. Thought they had another year. Guess I onto the 5A board to spread my misinformation. Merry Christmas.

Just stay put. We will share you, on occasion, with the 5a board. (Which incidentally, will officially be "Class 5".)

How many teams will make the playoffs in each region given that the regions have different team totals? Region D has 12 teams while A & B have 13 and C has 14.
It's not definite yet but I've heard that each region will allow 8 teams in to allow for consistency. But, this is only what I've heard as of now. A lot could change between now and the next meeting.

Last edited:
Agreed Vols, but in a hypothetical eight team regional those 5 would not make the playoffs.

Just a side note for information purposes Region B encompasses four districts Dominion , Capital, Jefferson, and Central. These Disricts play some very tough 5a and 6a schools (LC Bird, Manchester, Highland Springs, Varina, Meadowbrook to name a few) Don't be fooled by some of the losses by these teams. Each region has their traditionally bad teams and sometimes things change from year to year.

Not trying to insinuate either region is better than the other. All of the regions have good teams. It will all play out the field next season. We can actually get a preview of a b and d match up this Saturday. Salem and Dinwiddie play each other in the regular season for the next two years.
Salem and Dinwiddie play in the regular season the next two years!? Those should be great tests for both.

Yes sir. Dinwiddie @ Salem in 2017 and the flip in 2018. Will be interesting to see how the fans travel.

I would agree and say they would for sure be in the mix in 4A but they move up to 5A next year. Stone Bridge, Broad Run, Pot Falls, Briar Woods will be their new district/region mates so they'll be up against a much different animal next season. Good Luck to them though!
That will be a tough roe-to-hoe for JC...and anybody else.

Reactions: one man
Not sure of the exact order, but Dinwiddies out of district games include 4a Denbigh, Smithfield, and Salem. This season Hanover, James Monroe and Caroline. Based on this years wins its a an upgrade. It will surely give us an idea were we stand against two regions.

Last edited:
Not sure of the exact order, but Dinwiddies out of district games include 4a Denbigh, Smithfield, and Salem. This season Hanover, James Monroe and Caroline. Based on this years wins its a an upgrade. It will surely give us an idea were we stand against two regions.
Salem plays Amherst, Franklin Co, Dinwiddie, and then Northside OOD. I think they then have the week off before RRD play kicks in. With Pulaski, PH, Blacksburg, and Salem, we could have a legitimate fight for the RRD this year. Salem's RRD winning streak dating back to 2011 could certainly be in jeopardy. All of Blacksburg's skills guys return if they have linemen, the game at Blacksburg could get interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT