4A West SemiFinal : #3 Salem @ #2 William Byrd; BLACK Friday @ 7PM

Who wins the game

• William Bryd

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Salem

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Played to OT game. Salem had a hard time rushing the football, but had a few injuries. WB believes they can win. They do what they do very well. The difference in this game will be Reece Watson. Is very talented and overlooked. Teams worry about Basham. Reece can play. Predictions William Byrd 28 Salem 24.

people will say that salem has improved since their 1st meeting early in the season, which is true, but I would say that wm. byrd has improved also. byrd held a high powered Staunton river offense to 6 points. It's beyond me why no team has figured out how to slow basham down. is he & their o-line just that good? teams think if they slow down basham, that would force byrd to throw more (not their strong suit). no one has done that yet. I think byrd's defense is better than people think. salem is playing very well also, so I could see this game going either way.

Reactions: Tom Potter
people will say that salem has improved since their 1st meeting early in the season, which is true, but I would say that wm. byrd has improved also. byrd held a high powered Staunton river offense to 6 points. It's beyond me why no team has figured out how to slow basham down. is he & their o-line just that good? teams think if they slow down basham, that would force byrd to throw more (not their strong suit). no one has done that yet. I think byrd's defense is better than people think. salem is playing very well also, so I could see this game going either way.
32 carries for 135 yards against Salem in the loss.... Did I mention 32 carries...should be another nail bitter 27-21 Salem

Last edited:
Byrd held Staunton River in a mud bowl. If the weather conditions were different, I think Staunton River would have won. Salem held Basham to one score without some key players. I think Salem will be fine if their defense is ready.

WB has less than 30 players on their roster. Their coach must be pretty dang good. I'll be rooting for them just for that reason. Is Basham that good or is the offensive scheme that good or some of both?

Yes, they have an amazing coach that has been doing it for a long time. Highfill is very good at creating an offense that fits his personnel and I have seen them have a lot of different philosophies and base offensive sets they use over the years. Basham is very good at just about everything and is elite when it comes to vision. Doesn't have overwhelming speed, size or agility but is pretty solid everywhere. They are physical and good up front and they also get very good blocking from their lead backs. They will hammer you with Basham and then will have a few wrinkles to counter with if you are overplaying him too much.

They have very little talent in the way or receivers and defensive backs but they have a very good front 7 defensively against the run.

Reactions: RKE Fan
Something to watch for, and I think it will matter, is I think Byrd might struggle more with Salem's offense this time around both because Ramsey isn't there and because Salem's O shot themselves in the foot so much that game I just think it's unlikely they do it again. Now before you say "but wait, Ramsey was Salem's best player" I mean it from a gameplan standpoint. Byrd came out and they decided they were going to sell out against Ramsey and let everything else fall where it lands but he's not there this time and Salem now has a RB by committee deal which has seemed to free up the offense in recent weeks. In addition, there were a lot of self-caused mistakes on Salem's end that allowed Byrd in for the first TD.

Byrd didn't have a sustained drive that whole game, it was a short field TD cause by a TO and a trick play long yardage TD (something Byrd loves and Salem will need to be super cautious about as they're prone to giving up those kinds of plays). I think Salem's D is better now than it was then, too. That whole game was very uncharacteristic of typical Salem play and I just don't think you'll see it again so factor that in when you think about this game.

But Byrd has undoubtedly improved on the season as well so we'll see how things go.

Reactions: salemfan32
Byrd does like going to the bag of tricks, and has done so with some success against the Spartans over the years. That will be a factor. And Watson is not about to be overlooked by the Salem staff or players, for two big reasons. First, he's the only other viable offensive threat the Terriers have; and second, having had the eighty-yard TD run in the regular season match-up, everyone in maroon and silver is already well aware of his capabilities. As they did back in September, Salem's going to have to make Byrd beat them by passing. Specifically, by passing to someone other than Basham. In the first game, Watson completed two of eight passes (with one pick), and I think both went to Basham for short gains. They tried to go to him a lot, though. And as Shabutie pointed out, Byrd's secondary seems vulnerable. Salem had all kinds of short and medium-range pass opportunities ten weeks ago, and will have to jump on those chances again. It will be interesting to see how Byrd plays it on D this time around, now that the previous focus of their defensive efforts is not around.

I thought Salem's defense played well against Byrd the first time, in extreme contrast to how that unit had played against Amherst two weeks earlier. The offense did have a few key penalties, and a couple of fumbles which, though questionable (Tucker never had possession and at least one of Beckley's knees was down - both verified on video) still went as turnovers nonetheless. Throw in the two bad snaps on punts, and that's a lot of correctable things that could go in Salem's favor this time around. However - I've been saying for the past eleven months that Byrd was going to be good this year, and darned if I didn't finally get something right. Their one-dimensionality on offense is well documented, but they use what weapons they have very effectively. They are tough and physical, and unlike a Millbrook, won't hesitate to match Salem's physicality. Being old foes, they won't be the least bit intimidated by the Spartans.

Byrd is a team that's been playing well all season, and the Terriers are probably very confident they can prevail this week. Plus, they'll be playing the biggest game ever at Bob Patterson Stadium. Salem is going into a bit of a lion's den this week, and is going to have to play as well as possible. At least one thing I had feared doesn't look as if it will develop: the forecast is for dry weather all week. Staunton River had the misfortune of playing in a complete mudbog in Vinton, so it seems like Salem will dodge that bullet. Given their considerable speed advantage against Byrd all over the field, that should be a good thing for the Spartans.

I agree with SpartanOfYore and 1More. I was at that Byrd game earlier this year and the Terriers primary focus by a long shot was Ramsey. With great success, they keyed on the run and shut it down. I honestly can't remember any long runs of 10 yards or more. The passing game was there for Salem and even when protection broke down, Beckley did very well on his feet. However, as has been mentioned, uncharacteristic drops and fumbles kept Byrd neck and neck the entire game. I'm betting Byrd is spending a lot of time looking at what they can do in the secondary. It's give and take though. Salem is so balanced and line play is so much better than it was back in September. It's really a case of "pick your poison". I honestly think Byrd will do better with defending the pass, but the ground game will pick up for the Spartans. I expect more big plays for Salem offensively, especially running the ball. However, Highfill is a great coach and will surely have a few tricks up his sleeve. I was at the Salem/Millbrook game and listened to the Salem/Pulaski game as I witnessed the Spartan's defense playing at a level very similar to their state championship squad last season. Still, I expect Basham to break one or two, and Byrd to be in it till the end. I like Ravens Skins score above, but think Craft adds a field goal...Salem 31-21.

For those who like their football old school this should be a treat. Both will line up and try to do what they do best until the other team can stop it. Salem has enjoyed addition by subtraction. Ramsey is a special talent but, with getting the injured players back and everybody stepping up they are a more complete team with multiple weapons now. Byrd has improved as well. I would expect the grass at Bob Patterson to be high and well hydrated. Whoever advances Friday night will have some prep work to do on the back end as their defensive secondaries are vulnerable to a decent passing attack and to raise the trophy in Williamsburg they will be forced to defend an effective passing attack at some point.

There are several individual unit match-ups that we will all be paying close attention to Friday night. One I will have a keen eye on is the battle in the trenches, specifically the interior offensive and defensive lines. Salem's interior DL was able to dictate terms by controlling the LOS vs Byrd's G-C-G. As a result, Salem's inside backers were able to get free runs on Basham. I believe there has been a tremendous amount of growth over the last month from WB’s interior OL. They MUST be up to the task if Byrd is to be able to sustain drives. Salem’s interior OL did a much better job of making plays at the second level consistently. These two teams ability to control the line of scrimmage is one of the main reasons they continue to play into late November and could serve as the deciding factor Friday night.

Coach Magenbauer is as good as any at diagnosing opponent’s strengths and weaknesses and attacking accordingly. I do anticipate Salem having success through the air. Just exactly how much could tell the tale. In the early season matchup, Salem made it a priority to get their perimeter skill players, specifically Viante Tucker, the ball in space. Beckley hit Tucker on numerous ‘NOW’ screens and one has to think Salem will make this a priority again. Salem did leave a number of explosive plays on the field in Week 3 that I do not anticipate happening again. Beckley has shown the ability to win from within the pocket which could prove to be huge. Byrd’s edge players’ ability to set the edge vs. the sprint out passing game makes life difficult for opposing QB’s.

I do believe the Byrd offense began to find a rhythm late in the early season matchup and has not looked back since. The ability of the WB offensive tackles to generate movement at the line of scrimmage compounded with the effective edge blocking of the Terriers TE and FB’s allows them to really gash teams off tackle (see SR,LB, Heritage). It is such a joy to watch the level of execution and discipline that both of these teams display on the offensive side of the football.

While I understand some Salem supporter’s willingness to term the Ramsey departure as addition by subtraction, I think it is important to understand the impact he had in the Week 3 match up. In my estimation, Ramsey's biggest contribution to the Spartans win in Bob Patterson Stadium was his willingness and effectiveness as a pass protector. Salem did an admirable job limiting the pass rush productivity of Byrd's dynamic DE duo, in large part due to #9. Also, it is impossible to ignore the fact that William Byrd made a concerted effort to run away from Ramsey on offense, and when WB did run at #9 it was an option heavy approach. After having the opportunity to see Salem play without him, I believe they have the depth and skill to compensate for him as a pure runner, but it is the subtleties of his skill set, that I think they could (potentially) miss in a game of this stature.

Byrd held Staunton River in a mud bowl. If the weather conditions were different, I think Staunton River would have won. Salem held Basham to one score without some key players. I think Salem will be fine if their defense is ready.

Funny how many people say this. Both played in the same conditions. Basham was better than Overstreet. River runs the ball as well. WB won last year, the wind was blowing on the FG. River is full of excuses.

Funny how many people say this. Both played in the same conditions. Basham was better than Overstreet. River runs the ball as well. WB won last year, the wind was blowing on the FG. River is full of excuses.

I think Byrd's a better team than SR, and would have beaten them under any conditions. My point was, I'm glad Salem won't have to play them in that slop. Bad weather and poor field conditions are equalizers. When one's team has a decided speed and quickness advantage, one likes to see that advantage not be negated.

Byrd has two studs at DE. The interior DL resulted to diving at Salem's OL legs to keep from getting blown up the last time around (as did Millbrook). Salem should control the inside run game as our backs are now hitting the holes running down hill. It will be interesting to see how Byrd will adjust.

Byrd has two studs at DE. The interior DL resulted to diving at Salem's OL legs to keep from getting blown up the last time around (as did Millbrook). Salem should control the inside run game as our backs are now hitting the holes running down hill. It will be interesting to see how Byrd will adjust.
WB is pretty stout in the middle. Taylor, Catron, Nahkle and Johnson can control the inside. should be a great game. Again, the early game this year is not the same 2 teams that are playing now. Could see a close WB win or a Salem blowout.

Could see a close WB win or a Salem blowout.

That's my guess. Byrd will either hang around and keep it tight and maybe make a play in the 4th or Salem will move the ball better and win by 17-20. Or it could be anything else as well, I suppose, that's why they play the game.

I agree that a close game, and likely Byrd win, or a fairly comfortable (10-21 points) Salem win seem to be the most likely scenarios.

In terms of picking your poison, I think it would be better for Salem to have Basham break off a couple of long runs instead of grinding out long drives which take most of a quarter off the clock and keep the Spartan offense off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT