ADVERTISEMENT

5A top 10

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
In no way is Henrico the best team. IMO, Bird is #1. They are in a different catagory all by themselves. The score board showed that Henrico beat HS, but HS has a better team. I would rank Henrico #2 only because they snuck past HS. HS shot a miserable 22/73 30% and was nearly deadlocked until the questionable foul calls started in the last 2 minutes, and the game slipped away by 7. HS just missed too many easy layups! That won't happen on Feb. 6th and The Springers will take the next meeting!!!!

This post was edited on 1/12 6:46 PM by springer76

So winning by 7 is sneaking past a team? Henrico is a legit team now - they're 13-1 with at least 3 scholarship players on the roster in Buckingham, Pearson and Williams. Came from 16 down to beat Norview. Also beat a good HSHS squad. And only loss was by 1 to 6A State Champ Colonial Forge in what was one of their poor shooting nights.

Now, I realize Bird was averaging about 87PPG before Cape Henry beat them by 15 and Cape is a different animal (they have 5th year talents on roster & are a private school). But right now I think Henrico's resume is just a hair better at 13-1 compared to 8-1 going into the night with a couple more quality wins. Granted, Bird pummeled HSHS, but HSHS also had a couple guys out / battled illness, so not sure the final score was quite indicative how much better Bird is/may be.

Don't get me wrong - I ranked Bird #1 in the state in 5A at the start of the year for a reason. They are and still remain at the moment my pick to win the state title. Skyhawks can very easily re-claim the #1 spot at some point, even as soon as next possibly if they finish this week strong with an interesting matchup vs. George Wythe on Friday.

Speaking of sneaking past someone, is that what you'd call the Springers did vs. Mills Godwin in double-overtime this evening? Not exactly the type of effort that will allow them to "take the next meeting," vs. Henrico in my opinion. Just sayin'.

Follow Hatfield Sports on Twitter

Yep, still think, they will take the next one. I didn't go to the game tonight so I can't tell you what the deal was. Maybe they just had a bad night, that does happen with teenagers.... right?
I really don't care how you want to word it.... Henrico is not a better team than Bird. (I''m not mentioning HS in the "who's #1" scenario, because they aren't). I do think HS and Henrico are on a level playing field though. Just sayin'
It's your board and I have my opinion.... so, we'll both survive another day in disagreement! On another note...
I was hoping Oregon was going to win the title, but it ain't happening tonight either!
sign0011.r191677.gif

That is true that all teams can have an off night and we are talking about teenagers. I won't hold it against HSHS much because their whole body of work is still very good and they won.

On Bird/Henrico - all I'm saying is it's a lot closer than you may think it is and believe we're splitting hairs at this point. Come playoff time if Bird wins a matchup, provided we get it, by a solid margin, then they will have proven they are the better team. Not that it is at all factored into the current ranking, but Henrico has eliminated them each of the past two years in the playoffs. I just don't see it as this egregious move to put a 13-1 team with quality wins ahead of an 8-1 team (now 9-1 following Bird absolutely walloping Clover Hill) with not as many quality wins and the two haven't faced each other yet.

Not to mention, they can flip-flop 1-2 by this time next week.

As you said, we all have opinions and can agree to disagree...

Follow Hatfield Sports on Twitter

I see your logic and I kind of agree. Looking at schedules, where do you think HS's schedule thus far stacks up against the other 2? With wins over Wythe, JM, Benedictine, Potomac and MBK.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT