ADVERTISEMENT

75 boyz are back

Heck no, this game is not bothering me in the least. @Phoebus Fan do you ever read someone's post in full. Not once did I ever say I expected to win on Friday. In fact, I said to @OCBoy that I hoped we didn't give up 55 points. We were soundly beaten by a way better team and well oiled machine. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the talent on display. Again, I have been concerned about this mentality and non compliance for several years. I love HS football and sports in general. You obviously are not seeing the decline in participation like many localities are.

@CountryClubJoesSecretAlias brought to the table the same issues I am griping about. He may understand it, but did he condone it? I appreciate his opinion either way. He even said "what do you do?".

Everybody has a different opinion and most of the people who offer up excuses or justification know they are taking advantage of a flawed system that cannot be monitored correctly. Whether it's right or wrong it's always about getting mine!

Obviously, you sleep well at night and so do I. Totally respect your opinion without any animosity. Discussion is what this board is about.
Once again name the transfers Phoebus has had over the past 4 years. You made a bold statement trying to discredit what Blunt built at Phoebus like he got a bunch of transfers and that’s why he’s winning…we want to know our roster moves the past 4 years. I got a lot of respect for Dinwiddie but this is clown activity…

This is a complex issue/discussion.

The issue with a lot of this is not a cheating thing, it is a different playing field thing.

Because whether people want to admit it or not, living in an area and being able to chose what school you play for is a huge advantage over ones that don't have that. That doesn't mean that it is cheating, because by the letter of the rule, it is not.

@Phoebus Fan I will comment on a few things you have said here and in the past to show what I believe @BleedingNavy is saying.

1. You are talking about kids reuniting and in the past have said these kids grow up playing together AND against each other. So you are referencing that they are coming from different areas. But in most areas (I assume Dinwiddie), but specifically will use here in Augusta County, you aren't going to be playing against kids when you are younger and then with them in HS. You play at the exact school you are zoned. So it is a bit different than say Dinwiddie or Louisa with one County school. That is 5 County schools in Augusta county, can you imagine what a team could be with being able to choose which one to play for?

2. I can absolutely agree with you that it is better for the kids to be involved in sports than on the street. But that still doesn't matter one bit to the competitiveness of the players. Neither does when they declare that they are going to play for X Team (which I believe is what you are alluding to, if I am wrong, then I apologize). My point being, unless it is blatantly recruiting, etc. (like it sounds like Hayfield as example), they aren't doing anything illegal, and of course as a fan you are going to cheer for whoever is out there like you should, and it is good for the kids, and in all honesty, who WOULDN'T want to play for one of the premier programs in the state.

But the point is (I have no clue on any specific player, just using them as the example), say the Freshman QB last year lived on one side of town and Bass from another, in many areas of the state, they would be playing for different teams. Whenever it is that they declared to go to Phoebus notwithstanding, when they have the OPPORTUNITY to choose where they play, that isn't the case everywhere. Doesn't make it illegal, Doesn't make it wrong, Doesn't mean its not the best thing for the kids, Doesn't mean that their accomplishments are any less earned/meaningful, it just makes it different rules than in other places in the state

Reactions: OCBoy
This is a complex issue/discussion.

The issue with a lot of this is not a cheating thing, it is a different playing field thing.

Because whether people want to admit it or not, living in an area and being able to chose what school you play for is a huge advantage over ones that don't have that. That doesn't mean that it is cheating, because by the letter of the rule, it is not.

@Phoebus Fan I will comment on a few things you have said here and in the past to show what I believe @BleedingNavy is saying.

1. You are talking about kids reuniting and in the past have said these kids grow up playing together AND against each other. So you are referencing that they are coming from different areas. But in most areas (I assume Dinwiddie), but specifically will use here in Augusta County, you aren't going to be playing against kids when you are younger and then with them in HS. You play at the exact school you are zoned. So it is a bit different than say Dinwiddie or Louisa with one County school. That is 5 County schools in Augusta county, can you imagine what a team could be with being able to choose which one to play for?

2. I can absolutely agree with you that it is better for the kids to be involved in sports than on the street. But that still doesn't matter one bit to the competitiveness of the players. Neither does when they declare that they are going to play for X Team (which I believe is what you are alluding to, if I am wrong, then I apologize). My point being, unless it is blatantly recruiting, etc. (like it sounds like Hayfield as example), they aren't doing anything illegal, and of course as a fan you are going to cheer for whoever is out there like you should, and it is good for the kids, and in all honesty, who WOULDN'T want to play for one of the premier programs in the state.

But the point is (I have no clue on any specific player, just using them as the example), say the Freshman QB last year lived on one side of town and Bass from another, in many areas of the state, they would be playing for different teams. Whenever it is that they declared to go to Phoebus notwithstanding, when they have the OPPORTUNITY to choose where they play, that isn't the case everywhere. Doesn't make it illegal, Doesn't make it wrong, Doesn't mean its not the best thing for the kids, Doesn't mean that their accomplishments are any less earned/meaningful, it just makes it different rules than in other places in the state
You must not know that in the small city of Hampton we have over 15 rec teams for some odd reason. When I say they played with or against each other at this time maybe 5-6 years ago there was a big rec rivalry in city between two teams. Phoebus is made up majority of those two teams.

Just funny the emotional guy who team got blown out is allowed to get on a public forum and say lies about Phoebus.

But since you want to defend his comments are you able to let us know the players Phoebus recruited the past 4 years. He made a bold statement discrediting Phoebus as a bought not built program. Watched Blunt work his ass off to bring this program back to a place not even I saw it coming back to. Let’s remember before 2021 Phoebus was a thing of the past let’s be honest. So these players we brought up in our program from day 1 are not recruits…we all knew in Hampton the class of 25 was special and now look at them 47-1 with 3 state titles and most likely a 4th one this year. Program caught fire not recruiting.

If a kid that lives in Hampton or Norfolk can choose which city school they want to go to, then that is a huge advantage over a county or city with only 1 high school. Those 2 bigger cities have ~ 140,000 (Hampton) and ~ 230,000 (Norfolk) residents compared to Dinwiddie's ~30,000.
VA doesn't have open enrollment though do they? I'd bet those are just magnet schools. I don't know, though, you might be right.

There are about a million people in Charlotte. We have the same thing. International Baccalaureate (IB) schools. Magnet schools. Only certain schools have that program, so they can get non-district kids into the school.

It's not like open enrollment though. There's still different boundaries/zones/districts. If you're in the violet zone in the IB program, you could go to West Charlotte or North Meck, whereas you might have to actually move to go to Mallard Creek or Chambers or Hough. If that makes sense.

But I think the thing people miss with transfers/player movement is that it cuts both ways, if you're not "recruiting" someone else is. These kids are going to congregate at certain schools. Especially when you can leave a development and be zoned for two or three different schools depending on which way you turn. It's hard to build a program like that. It's really hard to stay on top.

I would take the county school with the feeder middle schools. Hands down. Huge advantage imo.

Last edited:
What lies did I tell @phoebusfan? I quoted you regarding last year's transfers and that Phoebus gets the best players in Hampton because the other teams aren't any good. Look up your own posts from last year. You also admitted that open enrollment is an advantage for the Phantoms.

Again do your research I said the same thing about Highland Springs, Huguenot and Freedom-Woodbridge and we haven't played any of them. Yes, I am passionate about fair play and following the rules. Not a bit angry or emotional about us getting our butts whooped. If you would have been riding in my truck on the way home from the game you would not have heard one negative word about Maury's players or coaches. Just the opposite. In fact, when someone asked me about the game I had nothing but glowing words regarding the Commodore's performance.

My beef is not with Phoebus Maury or any other team. It's solely with the administration of schools systems who take advantage of the VHSL lack of ability to monitor fair play and compliance.

Let's get this straight. I haven't said one negative thing about Coach Blunt, his staff or a single player from Phoebus. You my man keep bringing that up. You are quite the politician saying I said the Phoebus team was bought and paid for. Where is that quote?

I am going to end my involvement in this discussion, because as usual you have failed to comprehend anything I have said. I have said the same things ten times and you don't get it. Never accused anyone of cheating.

Good luck to Phoebus and God bless.

Thanks for your feedback @Gunz41. The VHSL fair play expectation is exactly what I have been speaking of since the first post. Have sent numerous letters to the VHSL board addressing my concerns that began with LCA inclusion.

Last edited:
VA doesn't have open enrollment though do they? I'd bet those are just magnet schools. I don't know, though, you might be right.

There are about a million people in Charlotte. We have the same thing. International Baccalaureate (IB) schools. Magnet schools. Only certain schools have that program, so they can get non-district kids into the school.

It's not like open enrollment though. There's still different boundaries/zones/districts. If you're in in the violet zone in the IB program, you could go to West Charlotte or North Mech, whereas you might have to actually move to go to Mallard Creek or Chambers or Hough. If that makes sense.

But I think the thing people miss with transfers/player movement is that it cuts both ways, especially if you got some good programs right down the road close to you. These kids are going to congregate at certain schools. Especially when you can leave a development and be zoned for two or three different schools depending on which way you turn. It's hard to build a program like that. It's really hard to stay on top.

I would take the county school with the feeder middle schools. Huge advantage imo.
Basically something like magnet schools in Hampton but its academies. This link will explain it

Each high school in the city has multiple ones.

You must not know that in the small city of Hampton we have over 15 rec teams for some odd reason. When I say they played with or against each other at this time maybe 5-6 years ago there was a big rec rivalry in city between two teams. Phoebus is made up majority of those two teams.

Just funny the emotional guy who team got blown out is allowed to get on a public forum and say lies about Phoebus.

But since you want to defend his comments are you able to let us know the players Phoebus recruited the past 4 years. He made a bold statement discrediting Phoebus as a bought not built program. Watched Blunt work his ass off to bring this program back to a place not even I saw it coming back to. Let’s remember before 2021 Phoebus was a thing of the past let’s be honest. So these players we brought up in our program from day 1 are not recruits…we all knew in Hampton the class of 25 was special and now look at them 47-1 with 3 state titles and most likely a 4th one this year. Program caught fire not recruiting.
I have zero clue about who he is talking about.

But I have a suggestion, maybe instead of being ready to call out anyone for anything that doesn't refer to Phoebus as the best thing ever, try to look at the meaning of what they are saying. You don't have to even agree with what they are saying.

I will say, I think a bunch of what you say is probably taken the wrong way. But from an outside perspective (no team in 4a), I take you focusing in on the part about these 4 kids as not wanting to discuss the "open enrollment" discussion. Sometimes it is better to discuss the main topic cordially instead of focus in to defend one part.

Again, for my part in the conversation, I will repeat that as far as I know, Phoebus isn't doing anything wrong, but when looking at it from my area perspective, there are different rules. And that is NOT specific to Phoebus. I am trying to have the conversation about THAT difference in rules, and assuming I understand it correctly, maybe you can understand the original point of the post (if I understand it correctly, not an indictment on Phoebus, but the system and the different set of rules)

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I have zero clue about who he is talking about.

But I have a suggestion, maybe instead of being ready to call out anyone for anything that doesn't refer to Phoebus as the best thing ever, try to look at the meaning of what they are saying. You don't have to even agree with what they are saying.

I will say, I think a bunch of what you say is probably taken the wrong way. But from an outside perspective (no team in 4a), I take you focusing in on the part about these 4 kids as not wanting to discuss the "open enrollment" discussion. Sometimes it is better to discuss the main topic cordially instead of focus in to defend one part.

Again, for my part in the conversation, I will repeat that as far as I know, Phoebus isn't doing anything wrong, but when looking at it from my area perspective, there are different rules. And that is NOT specific to Phoebus. I am trying to have the conversation about THAT difference in rules, and assuming I understand it correctly, maybe you can understand the original point of the post (if I understand it correctly, not an indictment on Phoebus, but the system and the different set of rules)
Huh? Dude said look at Phoebus roster moves the last 4 years and tell him he’s lying. I have no clue how that’s me reacting because he isn’t saying Phoebus is the best ever…I’m reacting because he’s lying

Huh? Dude said look at Phoebus roster moves the last 4 years and tell him he’s lying. I have no clue how that’s me reacting because he isn’t saying Phoebus is the best ever…I’m reacting because he’s lying
Not specifically for this thread, I have ZERO clue about players for any of these teams. But you do seem to take offense to anyone not saying Phoebus is the best. That is where that part came from.

But again, if the ONLY thing you are concerned with is Phoebus, cool. But ignoring every other part of these messages makes it appear that you don't care about the other stuff.

You see, the truth is, I get it. Your only concern is Phoebus. So you bringing up what is best for the kids, perfectly legit and nobody can argue that point. But it doesn't dispel any of the other points. Again, nothing nefarious with it. But if you don't want to have that discussion, that is a-ok

Not everyone is going to understand that area and how everything works. I understand because I see academy/magnet/IB and I know how it works. I personally know how kids move around in the City. If you're not familiar with it, then you don't know.

Curious to see why it’s the same schools ALWAYS being referenced such as Phoebus, Maury, Highland Springs, Huguenot and Hayfield. I enjoy watching what all these programs are doing as like someone said you still have to coach kids. I also have seen other schools such as LC Bird, Manchester, etc do and continue to do the same things over the last 10-15 years and win multiple state championships. They were able to and still are able to get kids to transfer to their schools but forums pick and choose who they discuss. I wonder why? Bottom line, if it’s a problem, it’s a VHSL wide problem and not just 4-5 schools. Until something is done a lot more schools and a lot more sports than we actually realize will continue to benefit from it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT