ADVERTISEMENT

757!!!!!!!

Nov 8, 2005
The 6A champ and in my opinion the best team in the state Ocean Lakes and the 4A champ (who beat the 5A champ Byrd) are both from Hampton Roads. Add Oscar Smith in there and the best football in the state of VA is in the 757. North fans, in particular Salem fans, please be quiet now about how great the north teams are. I have read your posts all year about how good ya'll were supposed to be and it was all smoke and mirrors. Football in HR is just better. When you win the titles then you can tell me how wrong I am but for now the 757 rules the roost. #hardbutitsfair

Originally posted by Mr. All Purpose:
The 6A champ and in my opinion the best team in the state Ocean Lakes and the 4A champ (who beat the 5A champ Byrd) are both from Hampton Roads. Add Oscar Smith in there and the best football in the state of VA is in the 757. North fans, in particular Salem fans, please be quiet now about how great the north teams are. I have read your posts all year about how good ya'll were supposed to be and it was all smoke and mirrors. Football in HR is just better. When you win the titles then you can tell me how wrong I am but for now the 757 rules the roost. #hardbutitsfair
It is hard to find people with so little intelligence.

LT had an awesome team this year. Did you actually watch the game with Salem? Salem moved the ball better than anyone had all year consistently and didn't have their best player on offense. Most Salem fans thought LT was the better team all year long. There was ONE good 4a team in Hampton roads this year.

Can you quote ONE post from Salem fans talking about how good the North was? You should be able to cite MANY examples if you are making a post like that.

No, usually you are right in this opinion, but all in all, considering all aspects of life, even if we do not win as many state titles, I'm still glad I don't live where you do., and am thrilled I live where I do.

First of all... With as much winning as you guys have done down there in the "757" you would think you would know how to handle it a little more graciously. LT was the best 4A team all year. Salem was the second best team in 4A. It's not like our best team can't compete with anyone from the "757". We just haven't had the BEST team in the previous two years. I can promise you that this will not always be the case. Good luck to you guys in the future. I have a feeling this won't be the last time you play the "540".

What does this mean? Blue Bomber you have been making some statements lately that has me curious as to what you are trying to say. All aspects of life?

Also yes the 757 is better than the 540. Playing a regular season schedule in the 757 is way "tougher" than salem playing william byrd, blacksburg, cave spring,etc. As for salem being the 2nd best team in 4a this year that's debatable. VHSL website will say runner up but 2nd best team idk.

Because the North voted against cross bracketing, we don't know if Salem is the second best team in 4A. We only know that the made it to the finals and lost. They didn't have to face a Monacan, Heritage, Dinwiddie, Phoebus or Kings Fork to get there. All of these teams are as probably as good as, or better than Salem (I think the first three are better). You are right, this will not always be the case, things change (example :phoebus has gotten weaker), but presently the South has a group of teams that may be better than the North''s best. The way the playoffs are designed how could it be the last time the 757 plays the 540? I would love to see cross bracketing, that would at least tell us whether the 2nd best team in one region is better than the other region's first best, or not.

Ignore him Devils you don't need to get dragged down to his level. Enjoy the victory and the spoils that go with it in quiet confidence. He's confined to his "life" while you have many possibilities ahead including a repeat..

Its quite sad, but oh well can't reason with them all. Time to get ready for 2015 we return a lot of players but will miss a lot of senior leaders also.

I could say the same thing... My opinion is that Liberty, GW, and Jefferson Forest coverage could play with any of those 757 schools you named. The 757 had the best team in the State in LT. Claiming anything other than that is nothing more than one mans opinion.

Hey theres a little 757 school name Norcom that needs a game next year. They would love to play Salem our any of your top notch school in the 540. Let me know

That would be a good game

I think Salem vs. Norcom would be a good game! Contact the AD for Salem. Who knows? Maybe VHSL would let them do a benefit game.

Richmond area not to shabby this year, either. CalPreps gives Richmond 4 of the top 10 teams this year (rank in country provided):

54 Ocean Lakes
57 Lake Taylor
82 L.C. Bird
182 Centreville
197 Tuscarora
258 Oscar Smith
277 Hermitage
293 Manchester
345 Woodberry Forest
349 Highland Springs

Originally posted by 2muchBBnever:
Also yes the 757 is better than the 540. Playing a regular season schedule in the 757 is way "tougher" than salem playing william byrd, blacksburg, cave spring,etc. As for salem being the 2nd best team in 4a this year that's debatable. VHSL website will say runner up but 2nd best team idk.
Some of the 757 teams flat out awful just like teams in this area are. Both areas have years where some teams are up and down. In 2004/2005 the River Ridge was gauntlet. Christiansburg, Cave Spring, Pulaski and Hidden Valley were all very good. Also had to get through Amherst teams that compared very similarly to this LT team. Brookville and Liberty were both consistently good as well. This year the River Ridge was awful. Roanoke/Lynchburg overall was not strong either. That will not always be the case.

Who is an awful 757 team in your opinion? True every area has its dogs , but I'm pretty sure some of our awful teams could be competitive in other parts of the state. For example Woodrow Wilson broke a 3 year losing streak this year and took Norview who finished 11-2 to the brink before losing 29-19. Now you look at them and say they were awful if you don't know anything about the area and they can come win a game. Look at BTW we were up 50-0 in the 2Q they also lost to Norview, Broad Run, Richmond Collegiate, and Norcom yet they go on the road and knock off Powhatan. Sure other areas have their teams that are good, but the competition down here is far greater. Salem 5a state semifinalist and 6 point loser to Bird lost to a 4-6 Landstown team that didn't even make the playoffs down here. But at the end of the day like anything its all about matchups.

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
Who is an awful 757 team in your opinion? True every area has its dogs , but I'm pretty sure some of our awful teams could be competitive in other parts of the state. For example Woodrow Wilson broke a 3 year losing streak this year and took Norview who finished 11-2 to the brink before losing 29-19. Now you look at them and say they were awful if you don't know anything about the area and they can come win a game. Look at BTW we were up 50-0 in the 2Q they also lost to Norview, Broad Run, Richmond Collegiate, and Norcom yet they go on the road and knock off Powhatan. Sure other areas have their teams that are good, but the competition down here is far greater. Salem 5a state semifinalist and 6 point loser to Bird lost to a 4-6 Landstown team that didn't even make the playoffs down here. But at the end of the day like anything its all about matchups.
Maury, Denbigh, Churchland, Granby.

I agree that there are less bad teams in that area and that some of the bad teams would fare better playing in a different area. It isn't like some of those teams would be contenders to go far in the playoffs if they were in the North.

Churchland made the playoffs this past season. Maury was a playoff team a year ago and Granby is two years removed from 9-2 season losing only to LT and Ocean Lakes two teams that played for state titles. Denbigh was a playoff team a year ago I think they went 8-3. I'm not saying they will make it far in the North, but they could do better in other areas playing some of the schedules some teams have.

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
Churchland made the playoffs this past season. Maury was a playoff team a year ago and Granby is two years removed from 9-2 season losing only to LT and Ocean Lakes two teams that played for state titles. Denbigh was a playoff team a year ago I think they went 8-3. I'm not saying they will make it far in the North, but they could do better in other areas playing some of the schedules some teams have.
I don't think those are bad programs by any means. They have big ups and downs from year-to-year similar to some teams in the Roanoke/Lynchburg areas.

All of them have made the playoffs within the last two years has Fluvanna? I don't know so I'm asking. Now if you say Gloucester they are not fairing too well. The 7 cities schools are doing pretty well for themselves with the exception of like Deep Creek, Princess Anne, and Kempsville who on a yearly basis are not that good but PA and Kempsville even made the 5a playoffs this year and last year with 1 and 2 wins in 5a South East zone which is not hard to get in.

Just having a lil fun poking the north fans. LOL. If you are really upset, your probably not much of a sports fan. Part of sports is the ability after whooping someone to have some fun with their fans. If you don't like it, then win the title, and you can talk to the south fans about it. I will smile, and say you got us, and we will get you next year. During that time you can talk all you want and I have to accept it. Why are rivalries like the Red Sox/Yankees, UVA/VT, and Hampton/NSU so fun? I will tell you. Because we as fans like to mess with the other teams fans a lil bit after our team wins because we love our team(s). It's just good natured ribbing. So I stand by my statement and the 757 is the king of Virginia high school football. Lighten up and have some fun folks.

There are some people out there that have NEVER heard of the 757 teams and don't know anything about 757 football. They are confined to the teams they know sorry to tell you this as I found it out this week. Can't take for granted people know about our area.

DevilsLB99. I don't know how. With all the talent from our area? Hampton Roads in the NFL. Let me see. I may need some help on this.
QB-Vick, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor
RB-Lorenzo Taliafero
WR- Percy Harnin, Justin Hunter Jarrett Boykin
OL-Jaymes Brooks Vinston Painter
TE-?
DL-Daryll Tapp
LB-Jerrod Mayo James Anderson LaRoy Reynolds
DB-Kam Chancellor Antoine Bethea DeAngelo Hall Ras I Dowling Shamarko Thomas Don Carey
Head Coach- Mike Tomlin

Originally posted by blue bomber:
No, usually you are right in this opinion, but all in all, considering all aspects of life, even if we do not win as many state titles, I'm still glad I don't live where you do., and am thrilled I live where I do.
Yeah, the 757 is an awful place to live. Theme parks, museums, parks, and restaurants make the place a living hell. It's real drudgery having to walk a half-mile to the beach.

VT/UVA hasn't met the definition of a rivalry, at least in football, in quite some time. As far as 4A South versus 4A North, the North actually has to win one or at least keep it close, before the "we will get you next year" carries any real threat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT