ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst coach

Hard to believe a historically successful program like Amherst doesn’t have a line of good quality coaches lined up begging for the job.

Reactions: wikki
Hard to believe a historically successful program like Amherst doesn’t have a line of good quality coaches lined up begging for the job.

maybe they are waiting on him , could be they know who , but have to wait a year to get him !

Reactions: Lineheart
Could be fake news..I was told a month ago that Amherst got plenty of out of state calls about the position.I'm hearing from another source they think he is from New Jersey...Just gossip right now but I do agree with Gen54..

I agree, too late in the game since resignation was late April. I’m actually concerned since it so late. Interim coach would be fine and take to
Maybe we got same sources
i agree

I agree, too late in the game since resignation was late April. I’m actually concerned since it so late. Interim coach would be fine and take to

i agree
Why is it "too late"? If any of the current asst. coaches are worth a nickle, they have the players doing what they normally do as far as preparing for the upcoming season. Whoever the coach will be, i would assume he would keep many of the current assistants. If they are doing what they should, a new coach should be able to take over without a ton of difficulty. I would understand if the program was slumping.

The sad thing is the AD had the weight room closed for a while. It's open now but they missed some valuable time in the weight room. It wasn't on the assistant coaches.

Why is it "too late"? If any of the current asst. coaches are worth a nickle, they have the players doing what they normally do as far as preparing for the upcoming season. Whoever the coach will be, i would assume he would keep many of the current assistants. If they are doing what they should, a new coach should be able to take over without a ton of difficulty. I would understand if the program was slumping.
Just my opinion, season starts soon and you never know what new coach does with offense. Do not make many changes now

Should know something tomorrow. Heard some rumors of a coach but well see if administration has the kids and county in mind when the decision is made.

He said they didn’t, lots of people are disappointed
I’m disappointed too. I hope y’all get a good coach. Too good of a program not to have one. Danville passed up a very good coach (Ferrell Edmunds) back in 2010 that ended up biting us, though I’m extremely happy we have Coach Anderson now. I hope you guys don’t go down the same road that takes you 2-3 coaches before you find your man.

DSH, help an old man's mind out. Edmunds was a former NFL star, correct? Colts?
Former Pro Bowl TE for the Dolphins and Seahawks & is a GW alum. All 3 of his sons are in the NFL as 2 of his boys were 1st rounders last month (First set of brothers to EVER go in the first round in the same year in NFL history). They all played at Dan River as Ferrell is the head coach there.

Former Pro Bowl TE for the Dolphins and Seahawks & is a GW alum. All 3 of his sons are in the NFL as 2 of his boys were 1st rounders last month (First set of brothers to EVER go in the first round in the same year in NFL history). They all played at Dan River as Ferrell is the head coach there.
Ok, I remember all of that now.

Not to speak I'll of someone, only saw the 1 game. But it seemed to me watching Dan River play Stuarts Draft in playoffs that his coaching had some to do with the outcome. Was a very nice man, but there were a few technical things that did the team no favors. That team had 2 that just went in 1st round, and quite a few other really good players. They certainly were much more talented than SD. But SD beat them pretty bad. I dont know what they had done before or after???

they should have given Gary (Bootsie) Liggons a serious look. I never seen a coach fire up a bunch of kids like

Amherst couldn’t hire Bootsie if they wanted to. A school board policy (regarding relatives) would allow them to.

they should have given Gary (Bootsie) Liggons a serious look. I never seen a coach fire up a bunch of kids like him

Amherst couldn’t hire Bootsie if they wanted to. A school board policy (regarding relatives) would allow them to.

Not to speak I'll of someone, only saw the 1 game. But it seemed to me watching Dan River play Stuarts Draft in playoffs that his coaching had some to do with the outcome. Was a very nice man, but there were a few technical things that did the team no favors. That team had 2 that just went in 1st round, and quite a few other really good players. They certainly were much more talented than SD. But SD beat them pretty bad. I dont know what they had done before or after???
SD beat DR in 2012 which DR wasn’t very good. Dan River has never had a QB (Zemar Anderson was their best QB in 2016). Terrell (Steelers) was a junior and playing the wrong position (should’ve been the QB) and Maine (Bills) was a skinny sophomore who was hurt for most of the year. I will agree that the offense Ferrell runs isn’t a prototypical offense. It’s unorthodox and sometimes down right predictable. Talk about a team that should’ve beaten Appomattox at least twice during their run and a team that should have at least 3 state championships. I will say, if Ferrell was at GW, he’d probably run the spread and GW would not have lost so many players to transfer. I’d estimate that GW has lost at least 20 players to Dan River since the start of this decade.

I’m no Amherst insider but there’s a very very very good young coach within their program. Hope they are smart enough to do what’s best for the kids and community.
GEZZ you people an your ums an o's just say the names it a message board of your gonna be afraid to say a name then dont bring it up. Don't worry no ones gonna show up a throw ya in jail.

GEZZ you people an your ums an o's just say the names it a message board of your gonna be afraid to say a name then dont bring it up. Don't worry no ones gonna show up a throw ya in jail.
I was referring to Bootsie. Hell I don’t even think they know. Ridiculous

SD beat DR in 2012 which DR wasn’t very good. Dan River has never had a QB (Zemar Anderson was their best QB in 2016). Terrell (Steelers) was a junior and playing the wrong position (should’ve been the QB) and Maine (Bills) was a skinny sophomore who was hurt for most of the year. I will agree that the offense Ferrell runs isn’t a prototypical offense. It’s unorthodox and sometimes down right predictable. Talk about a team that should’ve beaten Appomattox at least twice during their run and a team that should have at least 3 state championships. I will say, if Ferrell was at GW, he’d probably run the spread and GW would not have lost so many players to transfer. I’d estimate that GW has lost at least 20 players to Dan River since the start of this decade.

Like I said only seen the 1 game, but if I remember correctly they were 9-1. I know they were the 3 seed and SD was 14 seed. They certainly were more talented. Just goes to show that no matter what kind of talent is on a team, a team playing together beats a few great talents.

But one thing you said makes little sense to me. You certainly know the situation better than me, but why would he run something different at a different school? If that is what he wanted to run I would think it's what he would run at DR

I don’t even think they know at this point, something is wrong

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Like I said only seen the 1 game, but if I remember correctly they were 9-1. I know they were the 3 seed and SD was 14 seed. They certainly were more talented. Just goes to show that no matter what kind of talent is on a team, a team playing together beats a few great talents.

But one thing you said makes little sense to me. You certainly know the situation better than me, but why would he run something different at a different school? If that is what he wanted to run I would think it's what he would run at DR
Dan River doesn’t come close to having the athletes GW has. Dan River’s best team in school history (2016 team) lost to a practically GW JV team (this upcoming year’s seniors). Ferrell’s offense is predicated on giving the ball to his fastest players and pray that they find a hole and that’s usually a 5’6 tailback that’s 145 soak and wet. Ugly offense with no real passing threat. Works on the 2a level, but not so much on the 4a level. Gotta switch it up..When a team figures his offense out, that’s how they lose to 14 seeds and like athletic teams LOL! I do remember the tailbeating SD put on DR that year! DR had 2 NFL 1st rounders, a projected round 4-5 DE who plays at Cincinnati and a lineman who played D1 ball at Cornell. That’s how bad their playcalling and execution is! He’d have the athletes to run a more sophisticated offense at GW.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I don’t even think they know at this point, something is wrong

Is the stipend for the head coach unusually low compared to other similar schools? How about teachers pay? Does it lag behind other schools? I'm just wondering out loud if they are having problems securing a coach because of what they can offer. The head coaching job has never required more time and sacrifice than it does these days. None of them are paid commerserate with what they put in. But that is true everywhere. But, if a coach is in it for the money at the high school level, then he/she are missing the point anyway.

Typically when announcing a new coach is delayed it's because their choices cannot agree to the terms. That's almost always the reason. So, that's my suspicion.

Reactions: Gen54
Is the stipend for the head coach unusually low compared to other similar schools? How about teachers pay? Does it lag behind other schools? I'm just wondering out loud if they are having problems securing a coach because of what they can offer. The head coaching job has never required more time and sacrifice than it does these days. None of them are paid commerserate with what they put in. But that is true everywhere. But, if a coach is in it for the money at the high school level, then he/she are missing the point anyway.

Typically when announcing a new coach is delayed it's because their choices cannot agree to the terms. That's almost always the reason. So, that's my suspicion.
Not the money

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT