ADVERTISEMENT

Appo vs Glenvar

oldfool2

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 17, 2019
After tonight and Appo beating Radford for the upset in my opinion whats the thought for Appo to beat Glenvar next?

I think Glenvar will be a hard out for Appo. Glenvar won’t have the coaching disadvantage Radford had. Glenvar seems to be clicking on all cylinders with everyone back & healthy. Should be a great game though. If anyone can find a way to beat Glenvar, it’s Coach Smith. Appomattox will need to clean up penalties too or it might cost the Raiders the win against Glenvar.

Some of you Appo guys have stated on here that this Appo team is a shell of the former Appo teams. I get it man. This team is not as talented overall, but they are very good. They don't have the athletisicm in open space they had of years past, but from tackle to tackle, this team is pretty darn good up front. I think they are lightyears better on the LOS from where they started the season. If you can run for 5 yards play after play, you always have a chance, and Appo can run the ball pretty darn good. Appo can beat Glenvar. It's going to be a very close game. Doug Smith is a magician.

I think Glenvar will be a hard out for Appo. Glenvar won’t have the coaching disadvantage Radford had. Glenvar seems to be clicking on all cylinders with everyone back & healthy. Should be a great game though. If anyone can find a way to beat Glenvar, it’s Coach Smith. Appomattox will need to clean up penalties too or it might cost the Raiders the win against Glenvar.
I had totally figured Appo out after tonught and was dead wrong. I was happy to see pennix back after fully thinking he would not be back. Glenvar is going to be a major hurdle as they seem like the dream team coming about and hitting on all cylinders at the right time.

Some of you Appo guys have stated on here that this Appo team is a shell of the former Appo teams. I get it man. This team is not as talented overall, but they are very good. They don't have the athletisicm in open space they had of years past, but from tackle to tackle, this team is pretty darn good up front. I think they are lightyears better on the LOS from where they started the season. If you can run for 5 yards play after play, you always have a chance, and Appo can run the ball pretty darn good. Appo can beat Glenvar. It's going to be a very close game. Doug Smith is a magician.
Most of us Appo fans are spoiled lol. We are used to sudden explosiveness that this years team does not have like years past. Appo has grown thru the season amazingly . Alot of talent on the team to be coached out yet. Coach smith told me this summer it's going to be intresting to see where this team ends up as he had alot to work with thru the season.

I always like reading your post fairlawn, first class I can tell!

NFHS and the Facebook livestream of Glenvar and Martsinville were both down last night, so I got a good look at Appo for the first time this season. In order to be the man you've got to be the man. Radford couldn't do it and we will soon see if Glenvar can next week.

Glenvar is healthy, playing with confidence, and I am a believer in miracles.

Glenvar 35-28.

This game has me conflicted. 3 weeks ago Glenvar fans stole my dads Giles flag and tried sabotaging his train horn(literally climbed up the back of the bleachers with a knife). So as I arrive at Highlander Heaven next week I have to ask myself. Do I root for Appomattox who banned the train horn? Or Glenvar that tried to destroy it? Hopefully it’s just a good ass football game!

This game has me conflicted. 3 weeks ago Glenvar fans stole my dads Giles flag and tried sabotaging his train horn(literally climbed up the back of the bleachers with a knife). So as I arrive at Highlander Heaven next week I have to ask myself. Do I root for Appomattox who banned the train horn? Or Glenvar that tried to destroy it? Hopefully it’s just a good ass football game!
Root for Coach Smith!

Going to be a another thriller like Radford. I think the winner of Appo and Glenvar will have yet another thriller when they play the Region D winner. Looks like all these games are gonna be close and down to the wire.
Will the Graham game be on radio?

Can someone tell me how C2 does their semis? Do you guys default to highest ratings (which would mean Graham or Ridgeview regardless) or rotate between C and D each year? If the latter is the case, who is hosting this year? Thanks.

Can someone tell me how C2 does their semis? Do you guys default to highest ratings (which would mean Graham or Ridgeview regardless) or rotate between C and D each year? If the latter is the case, who is hosting this year? Thanks.
Highest ratings

Graham/Ridgeview winner will host Appo/Glenvar winner.

Last edited:
Appomattox is peaking at the right time as is Glenvar. The Raiders have to hold the mental advantage as this group of Highlanders have always lost to the Raiders in their final game of the year.
This year the Highlanders might hold the overall talent edge though. A lot of this may come down to who can gain the momentum first and MUCH of this game will be decided along the line of scrimmage.
I'll go with the Raiders by 2.

Last edited:
Admittedly only seeing these teams online, I feel Glenvar wins this one close. Much respect to Appo and the program Coach Smith has built. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Appo win but this Glenvar team seems to have a little something to them this year. Been wrong before so I may be in left field here but I will say 34-26 with the separation coming late.

Highest ratings
Also, it's the highest rating at the End of the regular season. There's is not any redo, ongoing, updated ratings or reevaluation during/ongoing the playoffs. I used to think there was years ago, but was wrong. Highest Rating of whichever team from D and C wins the region will host, and that rating is the one from the end of game 10/reg season. In this year, it's automatically the Graham/Ridgeview winner as both had higher power rating than Glenvar/Appo at the end of the regular season.

Also, it's the highest rating at the End of the regular season. There's is not any redo, ongoing, updated ratings or reevaluation during/ongoing the playoffs. I used to think there was years ago, but was wrong. Highest Rating of whichever team from D and C wins the region will host, and that rating is the one from the end of game 10/reg season. In this year, it's automatically the Graham/Ridgeview winner as both had higher power rating than Glenvar/Appo at the end of the regular season.
I believe it used to be if you upset a team you took their place in the bracket. The year Glenvar won the state they had a first round home game and then played Giles. After upsetting Giles, Glenvar had home field until the state championship which was in Salem so basically home field the rest of the way.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
I believe it used to be if you upset a team you took their place in the bracket. The year Glenvar won the state they had a first round home game and then played Giles. After upsetting Giles, Glenvar had home field until the state championship which was in Salem so basically home field the rest of the way.

They didn't take their place, it was a different system back then.

That is when we had the East and West side. When got down to the Final 4, The highest seed from east remaining hosted the lowest seed remaining from west, and Highest west seed hosted lowest east seed.

Wilson was highest remaining East team, so hosted lowest West team (Richlands). Which leaves Glenvar hosting Nottoway.

Reactions: WaHooJoel
Since Salem is playing Sat, my buddy and I were eyeing this game as a possibility for seeing a game Fri night. Is this game still set for Fri night? I've never been to Glenvar, is there anywhere for a wheelchair to sit with a good view of the field? TIA Also, if I make it to the game, I hope to see some of you there. If you see me, give me a hollar.

Since Salem is playing Sat, my buddy and I were eyeing this game as a possibility for seeing a game Fri night. Is this game still set for Fri night? I've never been to Glenvar, is there anywhere for a wheelchair to sit with a good view of the field? TIA Also, if I make it to the game, I hope to see some of you there. If you see me, give me a hollar.
Stil set for friday at 7pm. I know on visitors side the aisle in front the 50 is accessible. Home side probably more accessible. Please let me know for sure if you come.

Stil set for friday at 7pm. I know on visitors side the aisle in front the 50 is accessible. Home side probably more accessible. Please let me know for sure if you come.

I'll let you know @oldfool2 I will sit wherever I can find a good view of the field and my buddy can sit near me. I have ties and reasons to cheer for both teams.

I grew up in Rustburg and my uncle's family lives in Appomattox. I love what Coach Smith has done there.

Since I live in Salem I like to see Glenvar do well. A couple former Spartans are assistant coaches at Glenvar. (Tony & Nick Spradlin) The QB for Glenvar, Brody Dawyot, played at ALMS last year.

I just want to see a good game, and I think we'll see that.

WLVA is broadcasting the Appomattox-Glenvar Region 2C Championship Game on 94.1 FM, Fox 580 AM and online at meridix.com The Coach Doug Smith Pregame Show starts at 6 p.m. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. at Highlander Stadium.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Think I will be going to this one also. I went to last years game. Glenvar made a furious rally in the last few minutes of the game, but came up short. Would like to see Glenvar get it done this year.

I'll let you know @oldfool2 I will sit wherever I can find a good view of the field and my buddy can sit near me. I have ties and reasons to cheer for both teams.

I grew up in Rustburg and my uncle's family lives in Appomattox. I love what Coach Smith has done there.

Since I live in Salem I like to see Glenvar do well. A former Salem player is an assistant coach at Glenvar. (Tony Spradlin) The QB for Glenvar, Brody Dawyot, played at ALMS last year.

There is a wheelchair accessible platform right at midfield on the home side and a ramp coming into the stands from underneath. Not very high but you could probably bring an extra chair and sit together.

Reactions: mike salem

Since I live in Salem I like to see Glenvar do well. A former Salem player is an assistant coach at Glenvar. (Tony Spradlin) The QB for Glenvar, Brody Dawyot, played at ALMS last year.

Nick Spradlin is there as well

Looks like 6th time playing total, and 5th in Regional Championship, according to fourseasonsfootball.com
Gunz I definitely could be wrong but if I am counting right since 2015 they have won 5 state titles and then last season so that would be 6 in region games maybe I am missing 1 .adding in this year that would be 7 , maybe I am missing 1 but counting back I am still coming up with 8.

Last edited:

Since I live in Salem I like to see Glenvar do well. A couple former Spartans are assistant coaches at Glenvar. (Tony & Nick Spradlin) The QB for Glenvar, Brody Dawyot, played at ALMS last year.

There is a small section for wheelchairs up the ramp from the parking lot, in the middle of the stadium, and just above field level behind the Glenvar bench.

Appo is Appo and has found a way to win all the close ones over the years. I think Glenvar wins this time if they manage to get the lead and play from the front. Too hard to beat Appo from behind as they are excellent at closing out close games as Glenvar has sadly experienced so many times in the past.

I like the matchups much more this year compared to prior years and I think Glenvar capitalizes on those this year. Glenvar is still peaking for several reasons since they played Radford, so I think that comparison as a predictor of this game is weak.

If there were a year to predict an upset, this would be the year in my biased opinion.

Glenvar 35-28

Reactions: oldfool2
Appo has played Glenvar 2017, 2018, 2019 and twice in 2021 for a total of 5 times. This friday will be the 6th time we play them and the 3rd time in a row.
Checkout fourseasonsfootball.com sometime alot of information there.

Reactions: oxley70
Appo is Appo and has found a way to win all the close ones over the years. I think Glenvar wins this time if they manage to get the lead and play from the front. Too hard to beat Appo from behind as they are excellent at closing out close games as Glenvar has sadly experienced so many times in the past.

I like the matchups much more this year compared to prior years and I think Glenvar capitalizes on those this year. Glenvar is still peaking for several reasons since they played Radford, so I think that comparison as a predictor of this game is weak.

If there were a year to predict an upset, this would be the year in my biased opinion.

Glenvar 35-28
Regrettably i feel the same way but being an APPO fan i can bet we will go down fighting to the end win or lose. Coach has a magical way of making things happen and normally it's in our favor. But if we lose it wont be the first time i have seen us lose a game we SHOULD have won with Rustburg being one of them this year.

Regrettably i feel the same way but being an APPO fan i can bet we will go down fighting to the end win or lose. Coach has a magical way of making things happen and normally it's in our favor. But if we lose it wont be the first time i have seen us lose a game we SHOULD have won with Rustburg being one of them this year.
Appo is the game every Glenvar fan wanted. Win or lose, glad it is happening. Much respect for your team and the culture Coach Smith has built.

Appo is the game every Glenvar fan wanted. Win or lose, glad it is happening. Much respect for your team and the culture Coach Smith has built.
I can fully understand why i am the same way if we lose to someone i want revenge lol.. Good luck to you guys and lets pray everyone goes home safe and with no injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT