ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox starting to pick up steam

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
I know we got along ways to go, but we played a tough gave that pulled us within 3 point 2x during the game on Friday vs. Dan River. D.R. is one of the toughest teams to beat on the road. They play well at home.

We beat Gretna Monday (i know that they are winless, but it was good to see Raiders clicking).

Yesterday, we beat 12-3 Altavista 48-45 at their house. I heard from a few coaches that Altavista coach wouldnt even shake the hand of our head coach. That is pitiful if you ask me if this is true. This was the worse reffed game I have watched all year. Appomattox should have beat them by 15 or 20. Refs were horrible. I actually was telling my wife before game that refs have done a descent job this season.

Appomattox is now 4-6 with 4 games left. Hopefully we can win out and end season 8-6.

The football season and snow had hindered our season. Only 14 games will be played before playoffs and plus Raiders had been fighting for time to practice due to make up games and snow. They cancelled E.C. Glass so they can get some extra practice time in.

Agree it was a poorly called game - Appomattox should have had a lot more fouls than were called. Looked like they were still in football mode. Don't think Appo would have gotten the win if Altavista hadn't been missing their senior starting point guard.

Agree it was a poorly called game - Appomattox should have had a lot more fouls than were called. Looked like they were still in football mode. Don't think Appo would have gotten the win if Altavista hadn't been missing their senior starting point guard.
Yeah we have been struggling. Buster henderson averaged double-doubles last year and he is not half the player he was last year. 1st team all conference Center Marquise Morgan (senior) has been coming off bench instead of starting last 3 games. He playing as if he is in 9th grade, not much production. At Gretna he played well though.
Yep football and snow has really hindered team.

I heard #2 PG got in some trouble and missed two games. Someone told me he will be back next game.

Last edited:
I watched the post game hand shakes and the Altavista coach shook hands with every player on Appomattox and when they got to the coaches the JV coach and the varsity coach were very busy talking to Appomattox fans that had come out of the stands. He turned around and shook the jv coaches hand and the varsity coach was still talking to random fans on the court so he walked off.

I watched the post game hand shakes and the Altavista coach shook hands with every player on Appomattox and when they got to the coaches the JV coach and the varsity coach were very busy talking to Appomattox fans that had come out of the stands. He turned around and shook the jv coaches hand and the varsity coach was still talking to random fans on the court so he walked off.
That sounds better and i do hope that is the way it went down. Like i said, i was something i heard. I didnt see it with my own eyes.

I do find it odd that u have one message on this message board and ur only post is to defend the coach? That also goes for Sgt. Friday (the one who liked ur post). Sgt friday had no activity other than liking ur post? Weird huh? Dont see this as coincidence. ...

It's not a coincidence that I liked the post. I was standing up for Altavista's head coach since you were trying to portray him as not showing good sportsmanship for not shaking the Appomattox coach's hand.

I have nothing against the Appomattox coach at all but I was in that line and tried to shake his hand but he was busy talking.

I have nothing against the Appomattox coach at all but I was in that line and tried to shake his hand but he was busy talking.
So YOU was in line? Oh, so u a player or u must be an assistant coach.
Well i do hope it went down like that and imma trust ya on this.

I am a rabid Altavista fan and love reading these boards, I rarely if ever post on here. My first post on the basketball boards yes, but I have posted several times on the softball boards. I have a son and a daughter in school at Altavista and attend games from the beginning of the fall to the end of the spring and everywhere in between. I wish Appomattox all the luck in the world the rest of the way.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
I do hope this new coach dont cry as much as the old one Cr
I am a rabid Altavista fan and love reading these boards, I rarely if ever post on here. My first post on the basketball boards yes, but I have posted several times on the softball boards. I have a son and a daughter in school at Altavista and attend games from the beginning of the fall to the end of the spring and everywhere in between. I wish Appomattox all the luck in the world the rest of the way.
Thanks and I do know if yall had #2 out there this week vs. us, well....I i will just dwell on the win. lol

That Josh McClure boy is nice for yall. plays great ball for the size he is. Our Center is not playing at the level he was last year when he made 1st team all conf, but #30 owned him this year in both games. Especially the 1st game. I like the boy, but he did have a little be of an attitude and probably needed to be T'd up at the end of the game. That boys ability to play BIG when is is not the biggest kid on the floor is amazing. SALUTE!

Appo continue to catch stream. They on a 3 game winning streak and a close loss to Dan River. Raiders are now 5-6 and playing like they are not on the gridiron. Strong win over a Nelson team that has a player (Lee) scoring 51 pts vs. William campbell, then 34 vs. Gretna. He scored 33 on is at Nelson. Bustwr put lock down D on him and held him to 19 (10 from FT line)

Here is a video of Matt Page bringing the house down with a powerful dunk in transition. Ya want to laugh? Watch the bench and the kids on other side of gym going wild.

Buster henderson, matt page and devon graves all had 18 pts.

Pulled off anothwr win! Raider boys 68 Gretna 44. Marquise Morgan led w/ 19, Matt Page had 11 pts. Raiders have won 4 straight. Chatham tomorrow at home. Record is now 6-6.

Appo beat Chatham in a close one. Matt Page hit a last second 3 pointer that left 5 seconds on board. Appo won 60-59 in a sloppy scrappy game. Appo played lazy D under goals. Gave up too many Offensive rebounds. We need to do more on ball screens. We are 7-6 overall (6-5 district) and 3-3 conference. Play william campbell away in last season game. We have won 5 straight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT