ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Graham

The QB for Appomattox is good. He looks like he might not be the most athletic and his throwing motion isn't the greatest, but the ball from point A to point B for 15 yards always seems to hit the receiver in the chest. The read plays and decisions to keep or hand off always seems to be the right ones. Shouldn't there be more fumbles and juggled balls in the backfield with some of those exchanges with the RB? It doesn't seem to happen. When it looks like he should be tackled, he oftens manages 4 or 5 more yards. The QB for Appo is a winner. Very smooth, and it's tough to beat QB's like that.
Gray does a good job for sure. He’s not as athletic as our previous QB’s but he’s far from “not mobile”. He’s taller so he appears slower, and he’s not afraid to try to deliver the blow at the end of a run.
He’s even long snapped his freshman year.

Graham 42 - Appomattox 17
Has anyone else seen both in person? I have. I realize teams can get better/worse over the course of weeks. I also realize that they are still made up of the same players. I’m counting on the strength of Graham exposing the weakness of Appo. In the end…it’s all opinion. Truthfully, I’m pulling for Graham, but my projected score is based on what I’ve seen. Good luck to both teams.

Has anyone else seen both in person? I have. I realize teams can get better/worse over the course of weeks. I also realize that they are still made up of the same players. I’m counting on the strength of Graham exposing the weakness of Appo. In the end…it’s all opinion. Truthfully, I’m pulling for Graham, but my projected score is based on what I’ve seen. Good luck to both teams.
I respect your take oxley70, but I don't think you have to see them in person to make a judgement call. NFL coaches and college coaches so far have only seen themselves and about 12 or so other teams in person so far, but they can make a judgement on the teams theybhave seen on TV/film/video

What game did you see Appo play? They had a number of games where they were missing key players. This allowed younger guys to grow through the course of the season. Now with everyone pretty much healthy (as healthy as you can be this late in the season), Appo would beat themselves from earlier in the season by 3 TDs, maybe more. I've seen Appo play a number of times this year (some in-person, some others online), and they're a different team now.

What game did you see Appo play? They had a number of games where they were missing key players. This allowed younger guys to grow through the course of the season. Now with everyone pretty much healthy (as healthy as you can be this late in the season), Appo would beat themselves from earlier in the season by 3 TDs, maybe more. I've seen Appo play a number of times this year (some in-person, some others online), and they're a different team now.
Let me guess. They were missing key players in all the losses? Again, my opinion. No sense in getting butt hurt about someone else’s opinion.

Yeah, Bluefield with 25 & Ridgeview with 35 with Bluefield being the tougher opponent in my opinion. I still don’t see Graham getting beaten by 24 points. Anything is possible but I don’t think that’s probable just like I don’t think Graham wins 45-17, possible but not probable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bama1985
For the folks traveling to Bluefield, in case of rain, bring a poncho. Umbrellas are not allowed in the stadium, as well as diaper bags and coolers. Similar to going to a college game. Just thought I would give a heads up.

So no quick setup canopys.
I will refer you to the link that Gridiron posted above. It's not listed on items not allowed, but not on the permitted items list either. I would think if umbrellas aren't allowed, then the canopies aren't allowed either. Sorry, I can't be of more help on that one.

I would be shocked if Appo beat Graham by 24. Only two teams have even scored more than 24 on them , period. (Bluefield 25 Ridgeview 35)

FYI in betting terms, a team that is +24 would mean they're the underdog. Favorites are denoted with a "-" before the number. If you think Graham beats Appomattox by 24 you could say that as Graham -24 or Appomattox +24. There are also phrases you may come across which mean the same thing, they're called "laying the points" (betting on the favorite) or "taking the points" (betting on the underdog). The person you're responding to is saying they would, if possible, place a bet on Appomattox to cover a 24 point spread, meaning Appomattox would either win outright or lose by fewer than 24 points.

FYI in betting terms, a team that is +24 would mean they're the underdog. Favorites are denoted with a "-" before the number. If you think Graham beats Appomattox by 24 you could say that as Graham -24 or Appomattox +24. There are also phrases you may come across which mean the same thing, they're called "laying the points" (betting on the favorite) or "taking the points" (betting on the underdog). The person you're responding to is saying they would, if possible, place a bet on Appomattox to cover a 24 point spread, meaning Appomattox would either win outright or lose by fewer than 24 points.
Gotcha! I obviously know nothing about betting, lol! Thanks for the explanation!

Let me guess. They were missing key players in all the losses? Again, my opinion. No sense in getting butt hurt about someone
Let me guess. They were missing key players in all the losses? Again, my opinion. No sense in getting butt hurt about someone else’s opinion.
Actually they did have a number of players out for Botetourt and there is no 2A team in Va that would beat Heritage. Watch what they do to Christiansburg this week end. (Phoebus is the mountain ahead of them). Rustburg was by their worst game in 10 years. Turnovers killed them. They are much better than now those first 4 games just watch the 2 games against 2 very good teams. Having said that, barring multiple turnovers by either team this one be a dog fight.

Actually they did have a number of players out for Botetourt and there is no 2A team in Va that would beat Heritage. Watch what they do to Christiansburg this week end. (Phoebus is the mountain ahead of them). Rustburg was by their worst game in 10 years. Turnovers killed them. They are much better than now those first 4 games just watch the 2 games against 2 very good teams. Having said that, barring multiple turnovers by either team this one be a dog fight.
Which players were out vs Botetourt??? Enlighten me.

Last edited:
Which players were out vs Botetourt??? Enlighten me.
The qb for sure and 2 to 3 linemen and I believe Copeland all out with the flu. I 'm not making excuses, all I'm saying is this team is much different than the one seen earlier in the year. If you think its going to be a blow out then stay confident with your pick.

The qb for sure and 2 to 3 linemen and I believe Copeland all out with the flu. I 'm not making excuses, all I'm saying is this team is much different than the one seen earlier in the year. If you think its going to be a blow out then stay confident with your pick.
Nope. Wrong. Were you there?

Again, my prediction was an opinion. If I’d picked Appo to blow out Graham, you and others would be so quiet and not need excuses...maybe.

Let’s just see what happens. I’m big enough to admit if I am wrong.

All the losses? Nope. But they were missing multiple players in the Chatham win (flu game where one-third of their starters were out) and Pennix was hurt for multiple games at the end of the year. They still won all the district games when Pennix was hurt. Early in the season it was just inexperience. Young guys not used to being counted on. I'm not butt hurt at all. I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm a 434/Southside guy more than 276/SWVA so I'll pull for Appo in this one, but that's as a neutral fan of high school football. You still haven't told us which games you watched. I just wanted to be sure you knew that the Appo from earlier in the season isn't the Appo on the field now. They're an interesting team since they have two seniors going to Tech but overall are a young squad. Pennix definitely makes them go and when he's been out they haven't been the state caliber team we expect from Appo, but that's given the younger guys a chance to learn.

I just heard that Bluefield has given the Raiders the go ahead to practice there Friday night. In addition they will be allowed to use the home teams locker room facilities and the Graham fans will have to sit on the visitors side for the game.

LOL!!! Sorry Graham fans, I had to.

I just heard that Bluefield has given the Raiders the go ahead to practice there Friday night. In addition they will be allowed to use the home teams locker room facilities and the Graham fans will have to sit on the visitors side for the game.

I heard Appo recruited Glenvars QB so our Qb can play as a fast reciever too.

If it’s a cold afternoon, the visitor stands will be warmer with sun shining on that side lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Bo Bob and oldfool2

Oh no you didnt!!!!didn't!!!!!
Lol

• Haha
Reactions: oldfool2 and Bo Bob
All 3 losses were early in the season to 3a schools.

Against Rustburg they missed some opportunities, were tied 20-20 and gave up the go ahead TD with 20 seconds left. A game we could have and should have won

Against Heritage we played poorly on offense, committed several fumbles and were out of the game after the first quarter. Heritage is obviously a powerhouse 3a school.

Against Lord Botertout we started fairly well, trailed 7-3 at the half and had an opportunity to take the lead early in 3rd. After missing that opportunity we suffered several self inflicted wounds and LB took advantage and finished us off. That was our QB’s 4th start.

As I recall we weren’t missing many starters for those games. Throughout the district games we had several starters miss, but we won all those games.

The team is definitely improved since then, but obviously not as strong as some previous years. They are gritty, well coached and they never give up.

Graham is the home team and favorite for a reason. They are an extremely good football team.

Appo will need to play its best game to win this one.

Looking forward to watching!

Heritage 12 EC Glass 0
Graham 21. EC Glass. 0

You sure about that?

Actually I know it's in jest but that wouldn't surprise me at all lol

Actually I know it's in jest but that wouldn't surprise me at all lol
I know it upset a lot of folks last year for sure. I was lucky enough to ride along with the team last year to that Friday night deal.
I'm not even sure if the team is coming down Friday or not this year but I would guess they would if someone comes up with the $ for busses, hotel, and food.

When did Graham play Glass? I must’ve missed that one.
Graham scrimmaged EC Glass at the beginning of the season. GMen starters (1st team) scored three TDs to 0 before subbing in. Granted that was scrimmage at the beginning of the season but still a decent showing for GMen against EC Glass. Here’s a cool nugget: Graham played EC Glass & George Wythe. George Wythe is in 1A Semifinals, Graham 2A Semifinals, & EC Glass the 4A Semifinals, it’s kind of cool these three are connected that way across three different classes in state semis.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppomattoxFan
Graham scrimmaged EC Glass at the beginning of the season. GMen starters (1st team) scored three TDs to 0 before subbing in. Granted that was scrimmage at the beginning of the season but still a decent showing for GMen against EC Glass. Here’s a cool nugget: Graham played EC Glass & George Wythe. George Wythe is in 1A Semifinals, Graham 2A Semifinals, & EC Glass the 3A Semifinals, it’s kind of cool these three are connected that way across three classes in state semis.

Glass 4a

Reactions: Gridiron1960
If anyone can figure out how to keep Clements from getting 400 yards & 7TDs, it’s Doug Smith. Unlike, RV, he’ll adjust his offense whatever Graham’s D does to stop his best player. I look forward to a great game! I hope Graham cleans up the penalities which I don’t usually say much about the officiating but it was pretty bad on Saturday. I think Graham comes ready and hopefully, wins!
Kinda like Smith figured out how to stop bradshaw by kicking to him every time last year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT