ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox vs Graham

The difference was mentality for Graham compared to the other Reg C schools. When playing Appo. There is something mentally or some kind of self doubt where Appo always seems to make one more key play. Graham is just a different animal. They come in expecting to win and there just isn't any fear there. There is respect, but no fear or self doubt. Graham could have lost today by 3 scores or won by 3 scores, but I can assure you they wouldn't have been beat due to self doubt or some mental fear.

Congratulations to Appomattox on a great season! I was impressed with sportsmanship from both teams. Y’all got a lady on your side with a pair of lungs! She was getting it, lol!
Safe travels home for all y’all!

Last edited:
Reactions: oldfool2
I agree with the Graham fan on mental toughness. Glenvar with many close calls with Appo and Radford losing several times. We got them once in 2018, but it just seems when Appo takes the field, our kids have something inside them that begs the question of whether they think they can truly win, or as somebody posted on the other board, the moment to big for Glenvar or Radford. For Graham, the moment just is never to big. They may lose like they did to Appo in 2019 or King William last year, or they may win like 2 in a row over Appo and the Title game over Goochland, but there's no mental thing there or moment to big thing going on mentally. That's what makes them very difficult. It's what makes Appo difficult. They just both expect to win, and that's a huge part of it.

Congrats Graham on the win over a wicked tough opponent. Graham and Central is going to be one heck of a game. Both teams are big and both like to run it. I favor Graham slightly because Graham has lots of athletes to go with the running game.

I agree with the Graham fan on mental toughness. Glenvar with many close calls with Appo and Radford losing several times. We got them once in 2018, but it just seems when Appo takes the field, our kids have something inside them that begs the question of whether they think they can truly win, or as somebody posted on the other board, the moment to big for Glenvar or Radford. For Graham, the moment just is never to big. They may lose like they did to Appo in 2019 or King William last year, or they may win like 2 in a row over Appo and the Title game over Goochland, but there's no mental thing there or moment to big thing going on mentally. That's what makes them very difficult. It's what makes Appo difficult. They just both expect to win, and that's a huge part of it.

Congrats Graham on the win over a wicked tough opponent. Graham and Central is going to be one heck of a game. Both teams are big and both like to run it. I favor Graham slightly because Graham has lots of athletes to go with the running game.
Big key for Graham next week will be to limit the penalties, especially the holding calls that bring bac big plays. They had a few of those today. Both teams will be physical. I think the thing that may set Graham apart will be the team speed (hopefully). But Central is big, physical and they can impose their will on the opposing team, going to be interesting to say the least. Hats off to Appomattox who threw out all the stops and to Graham who made good defensive adjustments after giving up some big plays.

Clements ended up with 248 rushing yards for Graham. The QB for Graham went for about 130 as well.

Big key for Graham next week will be to limit the penalties, especially the holding calls that bring bac big plays. They had a few of those today. Both teams will be physical. I think the thing that may set Graham apart will be the team speed (hopefully). But Central is big, physical and they can impose their will on the opposing team, going to be interesting to say the least. Hats off to Appomattox who threw out all the stops and to Graham who made good defensive adjustments after giving up some big plays.

Clements ended up with 248 rushing yards for Graham. The QB for Graham went for about 130 as well.
If Clements had 248, doesn't that put him around 2800 for the season? I think I read in the Bristol Paper article on here that he had around 2550 coming into today. If he could have a monster game against Central, he has a chance to go over 3000 for the season, and I think he missed 2 games this year?

If Clements had 248, doesn't that put him around 2800 for the season? I think I read in the Bristol Paper article on here that he had around 2550 coming into today. If he could have a monster game against Central, he has a chance to go over 3000 for the season, and I think he missed 2 games this year?
Yes, he did miss two games.

Wow, that's a lot of yards in only 12 games played.
Bristol Paper was wrong today's total put him around 2200. Not sure where they got their numbers from. He had 1500 + going into the Ridgeview game. Has 657 in the last 2 games.

Bristol Paper was wrong today's total put him around 2200. Not sure where they got their numbers from. He had 1500 + going into the Ridgeview game. Has 657 in the last 2 games.
OK that makes sense. Still, 2200 is a whole lot of yard also

Reactions: 19GHS87
OK that makes sense. Still, 2200 is a whole lot of yard also
No doubt. I believe, if he had played in those 2 games, he would have over 2500, no doubt. Graham ran for 400 plus yards against V-High and nearly as much against Pulaski in the two games he was out.

Hats off to Appomattox who threw out all the stops and to Graham who made good defensive adjustments after giving up some big plays.
Someone once called Dennis “Snake” Palmer one of the best defensive masterminds in SWVA & many even the state. He doesn’t mind making adjustments and the defense really stepped it up 2nd half. They made key stops when key stops were needed but credit to Appo for a valiant effort.

Reactions: oldfool2
Both teams just gave up 1 score in 2 nd half , mistakes in first half was to much to overcome for appo other than that game was a toss up .
Turnovers hurt Appomattox for sure. Penalties hurt Graham a lot too. A lot of penalties for Graham to be this late in the season, that is concerning.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
What I posted on FB so just copied and pasted.

The team was about even, G-Men was not the better team IMO, they had no mistakes and we had way to many. Deff not making excuses, just calling it how I seen it. We had every opportunity to have come out with the win. Hats off the Raiders for making another deep run. Hats off the G-Men on a clean game. Simple mistakes can make or break it..... #PO1Forever

36-20 G-Men

What can i say but congratulations to Graham! You guys brought the better team today and made the least mistakes.
I will not say the better team, I believe the boys played even across the board, two God teams. Appo just had more mistakes. We had more turnovers. It could have been a 1 or 2 point game. Grahams D line and O line was bigger and more physical but Appo held their own to a degree when it came to doing what they had to do. If Appo didn't have any turnovers I believe we could have pulled it off. I could go on but hats of to G-Men on playing physical and a clean game.

I will not say the better team, I believe the boys played even across the board, two God teams. Appo just had more mistakes. We had more turnovers. It could have been a 1 or 2 point game. Grahams D line and O line was bigger and more physical but Appo held their own to a degree when it came to doing what they had to do. If Appo didn't have any turnovers I believe we could have pulled it off. I could go on but hats of to G-Men on playing physical and a clean game.
If Appo had not fumbled on the first drive things may have been different. However we totally failed to capitalize on any of Grahams mistakes.

Thanks for a great game and your guys should win next week. I'm looking way forward to next year as we return so much that we should have a killer team.
Appomattox is a class team. It was refreshing to see a team that doesn't trash talk or try to bait you into personal fouls and to respond to their antics. I have the utmost respect for Appomattox. Always a quality team and one that makes you nervous on every play. Appomattox should definitely be right in the mix again next season. Hope the G-men and Raiders get to meet again. Class act.

Imagine how many less he’d have if he played for the school where he lives?
Well, he lives in Bluefield, Virginia, so not sure what you are trying to accuse somebody of. Are you referring to where he lived 3 years ago? Because people are moving out of that area in droves.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Well, he lives in Bluefield, Virginia, so not sure what you are trying to accuse somebody of. Are you referring to where he lived 3 years ago?
And his dad played at Bluefield, people act like the kid has no ties to Bluefield. He’s been at Graham since his freshman year. People get so butthurt these days. I don’t begrudge any kid playing where he chooses to play.

Definitely wasn't a fan of the option on the one yard line that caused the safety, also fake punt on 4th and 16..... I love coach Smith just not sure who made them calls...... I think we should have went to the air more instead of when then knew we
Definitely wasn't a fan of the option on the one yard line that caused the safety, also fake punt on 4th and 16..... I love coach Smith just not sure who made them calls...... I think we should have went to the air more instead of when then knew we was.
Agree

No hate for any kids! Good for them for doing good.

No respect for the adults that stay on the recruiting trail!

No respect for the message board warriors that beat their chest over the high school team in their town that bends all the rules to win!

Do it the right way!

Or at least call a spade a spade!

Don’t believe me? Check the barbershops the day after game days!!

Don’t agree with me? Either you’re naive or a liar! Each is an ugly trait.

Had an all state player on every team since it began that came from somewhere else! Facts, Jack!

Carry on. Good season raiders!

• Wow
Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
Definitely wasn't a fan of the option on the one yard line that caused the safety, also fake punt on 4th and 16..... I love coach Smith just not sure who made them calls...... I think we should have went to the air more instead of when then knew we was.

Seemed like they were having a lot of success letting grahams defensive line into the backfield and hitting them quick up the gut and letting grahams linebackers miss tackles/angles. Wonder why they went away from that?

No respect for the message board warriors that beat their chest over the high school team in their town that bends all the rules to win!

Do it the right way!

Had an all state player on every team since it began that came from somewhere else! Facts, Jack!

Carry on. Good season raiders.
There's always one. And I guess you're him. Hey if you want to come watch us play next week I'll buy your ticket. Otherwise get out the basketballs.

Do it the right way!

Carry on. Good season raiders!
B.S. Quit spreading this kind of garbage. I imagine somebody with the screen name "Flames434" has a lot of ties to Graham and knows all about what goes on in Bluefield, Va. You are ignorant, sir. I bet you can't name one barber shop in Bluefield, unless you google it. If you knew anything about the area, you would know that McDowell County, WV is the poorest county in the COUNTRY and Tazewell County gets a lot of transfers from McDowell County every year, both athletes and non-athletes because there is nothing left there. People have to move where there is work. Smart move, if you ask me, but don't accuse a school of cheating. Everybody with a brain knows that players have to live in the attendance zone with a legal guardian.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Seemed like they were having a lot of success letting grahams defensive line into the backfield and hitting them quick up the gut and letting grahams linebackers miss tackles/angles. Wonder why they went away from that?
Great question, but I'm glad they did...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT