ADVERTISEMENT

Armstrong v Brentsville

F_Pb8f5XAAAkcxT

At Woodgrove we played Armstrong in 2017 and 2018. This is when they weren't winning much if at all. We traveled there in 2018. We went through metal detectors to enter the field (first and only time for me), wasn't sure what to make of it. Went into there school with my son to use the restrooms and ran into the coaches and players in their gym pregame. I have never met a more classy team and group of coaches in my life. Absolute CLASS ACT even though we took it to them as we were good that year. Always rooted for the Armstrong program and couldn't be happier with their success. Go Wildcats!

I second this. And their team is nothing like they have been in the recent past on the field. They are physical and good football players. I have no idea how they match up with BD. But it’s hard not to pull for the Wildcats

I second this. And their team is nothing like they have been in the recent past on the field. They are physical and good football players. I have no idea how they match up with BD. But it’s hard not to pull for the Wildcats
Brentsville District has senior and junior players with 2 game experience playing against the Phoebus Phantoms. This is something the Armstrong Wildcats don’t have. That should count for something. If BD is going to advance as a program 2023 is the year for them to do it because they don’t have to travel to Darling Stadium. Having seen them play, I saw that they are a hungry team. If they don’t make it to the D3 state championship this year I would be surprised.

Brentsville is a very tough team Defensive team. I have watched them 2 out of the last 3 weeks. I have not had exposure to Armstrong but from the reporting here they might be similar type teams.

Notes:
Nico Orlando is a two way player at RB and LB. The most talented player for Brentsville. He is a tough runner that likes to punish the Defense on the counter or off tackle plays.

Caleb Alexander is a solid Qb that Will surprise you with the deep ball. He is a good runner too.
The only downside for Brentsville is that Alexander didn’t play in the second half against Kettle Run due to injury. Without Alexander at QB they were not the same dynamic offense in the 2nd Half.

For Brentsville to win, I think they will really need Alexander on the field.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
I have such mixed feelings on Brentsville. On the one hand, they are extremely disciplined in all senses of the word. And their defense sure has looked fantastic in some games. But they also gave up 1st half points to Meridian in both games. Meridian is not even close to the level of play they will see from this point forward in the playoffs. I will be pulling for the BD, but I have my doubts on how much farther a run they can have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth Harris
Rooting for the 804 Armstrong. even though Hopewell got beat last week and TJ , I'm happy for them, they've been down for so long it's good to see them winning again.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I know they don't play football, but it would be convenient for me if you move Maggie Walker to 3A for their other activities. Tired of losing to them.

Just read the Armstrong head. Coach has been suspended for this game due to a social media post he made after the TJ win.

You had simple trash talk between 2 coaches that were FRIENDS! Politically correct Karen reported the shi talking. Only hurts the kids
I understand where you are coming from but coaches cannot act like fans. When I was going through the system I noticed major problems with the standards that existed for the adults verses the low level of patience that existed for kids. Today the standards for the adults and people on the business side of high school and college football resides in a used toilet bowl. I try to be careful with words because pointing out basic truths is offensive to those that live a certain way. Hopefully coach can win his appeal.

The Maury defensive coordinator has notoriously spoken rather recklessly on social media for years but Norfolk City schools didn’t have a graduation shot up. It’s a sensitive time in RVA, can’t have a post from Boyz in the Hood depicting a shooting scene. I wish Armstrong the best at Brentsville.

You had simple trash talk between 2 coaches that were FRIENDS! Politically correct Karen reported the shi talking. Only hurts the kids
Kids today resort to gun violence over the smallest things. Yeah there friends, but what if one of the TJ students feels disrespected and takes it out on an Armstrong student? What happened at Altria manifested on social media. I like trash talk like the next but it’s a sensitive time/world we live in.

But they did the trash talking on a public forum, and they represent their school. They made an error and are now paying for it. As we like to tell the kids, actions have consequences.

I understand where you are coming from but coaches cannot act like fans. When I was going through the system I noticed major problems with the standards that existed for the adults verses the low level of patience that existed for kids. Today the standards for the adults and people on the business side of high school and college football resides in a used toilet bowl. I try to be careful with words because pointing out basic truths is offensive to those that live a certain way. Hopefully coach can win his appeal.
I’m always a fan of the team that I coach. Can you clarify what you mean by “coaches can’t act like fans”?

I’m always a fan of the team that I coach. Can you clarify what you mean by “coaches can’t act like fans”?
Well, in public I don’t think coaches should engage in friendly trash talk and especially not on any online platform. This is all my personal opinion btw. Since they are friends as you pointed out it would better and smarter to keep that conversation private and not allow a “Politically Correct Karen” to invade their privacy and become offended. You see, I, as a fan and sometime freelance journalist, feel that I am safe to not care if someone is offended if I say, for example, “The Warhill Lions might not be more of a threat to the Phoebus Phantoms than the Heritage Hurricanes were to the Hampton Crabbers due to the numbers 29 snd 30.” That‘s simple, friendly trash talk that also serves to confuse the reader. 😃

Well, in public I don’t think coaches should engage in friendly trash talk and especially not on any online platform. This is all my personal opinion btw. Since they are friends as you pointed out it would better and smarter to keep that conversation private and not allow a “Politically Correct Karen” to invade their privacy and become offended. You see, I, as a fan and sometime freelance journalist, feel that I am safe to not care if someone is offended if I say, for example, “The Warhill Lions might not be more of a threat to the Phoebus Phantoms than the Heritage Hurricanes were to the Hampton Crabbers due to the numbers 29 snd 30.” That‘s simple, friendly trash talk that also serves to confuse the reader. 😃
Thar makes sense.

Now that I know the whole story, I do not feel comfortable either 1. Telling this man how he can express himself or 2. Criticizing a school system concerned about shootings at their graduation. I am neutral on this one.

Reactions: GoBlue2109
Now that I know the whole story, I do not feel comfortable either 1. Telling this man how he can express himself or 2. Criticizing a school system concerned about shootings at their graduation. I am neutral on this one.
I wouldn’t directly correlate his post and the previous graduation incident. But from the school boards perspective it makes sense to CYA. B/c the latest RPS special report into the graduation won’t be released to the public for what seemed to be legal liability. RPS has zero tolerance right now.

One Armstrong touchdown turned into touchback fumbling over pylon. Another Armstrong 94 yard touchdown called back for holding. They played well, just breaks did not go their way.

Extremely impressed by Armstrong's effort. Just couldn't catch a break. That coaching staff has done an amazing job with that program.

That was an incredible game and broadcast. Armstrong got jobbed in my opinion the touchback fumble call I didn’t like at all. The other TD called back maybe was a hold. I didn’t like the decision to take a safety either. Just line up and if they score go in OT. Armstrong took that game over in the 2nd half though and they played so well. I was worried they would be overpowered but they really showed me something and just kept getting after it. They were playing sandlot football out there and it was working well. Congrats to Brentsville on 3 straight regional titles. They showed a lot of love to the Armstrong kids after the game and rightfully so. Although it was unfortunate for Armstrong there was no conspiracy or ill will just wasn’t meant to be this time.

RVA Sports Network @TheRVASportsNet

#Region3B ALERT:

@AHSSportsRVA ends season for @TeeJayFootball 28-0, will ngo to #2 Brentsville District for the region championship. That's why I don't feel advantage matters

Extremely impressed by Armstrong's effort. Just couldn't catch a break. That coaching staff has done
One Armstrong touchdown turned into touchback fumbling over pylon. Another Armstrong 94 yard touchdown called back for holding. They played well, just breaks did not go their way.
They out played that team my personal opinion the referees took that game from Armstrong. Home feel advantage matters
an amazing job with that program.

In a Region championship game with the offense already pushed back in their own zone(6yd line). The hold has to be egregious to make that call. Ticky tack calls take the game out the kids hands.
The decision to take a safety was bad because they kick off from the 20yd and a 5 pt game. Gotta risk the punt, if they score you go to OT… great season Armstrong!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT