ADVERTISEMENT

Article may have had a fact wrong.

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Front page article today says Bird has made playoffs 16 of 17 years that Bedwell has been at Bird.

Actually Bird has made the playoffs now for the 18th straight season, and 26 of past 27 years, and has been in final 16 all of those appearances.

I don't know exactly which year Bedwell started, but that stat of 16 out of 17 doesn't work with the team having made the playoffs now 18 straight years.

Bedwell's first season was 2000. Bird finished second in the district that year but still made the playoffs. Last time they weren't in was '98.

Front page article today says Bird has made playoffs 16 of 17 years that Bedwell has been at Bird.

Actually Bird has made the playoffs now for the 18th straight season, and 26 of past 27 years, and has been in final 16 all of those appearances.

I don't know exactly which year Bedwell started, but that stat of 16 out of 17 doesn't work with the team having made the playoffs now 18 straight years.

That's my fault. When I was going through the standings I saw 8-2 for 2001 and completely forgot that was the year we only played 9 games because of 9-11. So 8-1 in the regular season and then out in the first round of the playoffs.

Thomas Dale beat LC Bird in the first round and then upset Varina the next week in the Division 6 Central Region Final.

I am pretty sure the last time Bird didn't make the playoffs was 1998. I know this because I was on the 9-1 Monacan team that beat Bird 55-14 or something like that. Mon hasn't beaten Bird since. I thought Bedwell was there then but maybe not. Huguenot finished 10-0. Bird was third in the district and didn't make the playoffs. The dominion was super competitive back then. Bird's back that year was snelling who went on to play several seasons in the NFL. Myrel Robertson and Wariff Akibulan were their backs in 97. Robertson was in the NFL and I believe Akebulan went to William and Mary. David Terrel also played at Huguenot. Ron Curry and Mike Vick were also in that class. Rudy Johnson was at Thomas Dale who went on to star for the bengals. Plus several other NFLers through out the state. Might have been the most talented class state-wide in the Va history.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
It sounds unbelievable that Huguenot was ever 10-0. But, I've been around long enough that I remember when teams we don't give a second thought to were world beaters. I probably saw my first high school game around 1962 or 1963. A lot of the Richmond inner city schools that struggle today were often some of the best in the state.

Two questions about old high schools in the Richmond area.

1). What year did Meadowbrook open?

2). Booker T Washington Plaza Apartments is in an old school on East Leigh Street that was named Booker T Washington. I'm guessing this was a school for black kids before desegregation? Does anyone know when it opened and closed?

Wow mbonape, that sure was a hell of a year for Va football. And being on the last team to beat Bird is a double edge sword. Something to be proud of, but it has sure been a long day spell for your Chiefs since then.

Reactions: mbonape1
I am pretty sure the last time Bird didn't make the playoffs was 1998. I know this because I was on the 9-1 Monacan team that beat Bird 55-14 or something like that. Mon hasn't beaten Bird since. I thought Bedwell was there then but maybe not. Huguenot finished 10-0. Bird was third in the district and didn't make the playoffs. The dominion was super competitive back then. Bird's back that year was snelling who went on to play several seasons in the NFL. Myrel Robertson and Wariff Akibulan were their backs in 97. Robertson was in the NFL and I believe Akebulan went to William and Mary. David Terrel also played at Huguenot. Ron Curry and Mike Vick were also in that class. Rudy Johnson was at Thomas Dale who went on to star for the bengals. Plus several other NFLers through out the state. Might have been the most talented class state-wide in the Va history.
Since you were in HS the same time I was playing couple of things you have wrong. The Bird back in 98 was Snelling but not Jason from the Falcons it was his older brother TJ who played at VMI. Bedwell was at Huguenot then with Aaron Alexander and all those guys.

Now I agree my Soph season 97 was LOADED in the region. Clover Hill even had athletes. We played Lee-Davis who had 2000 rusher Nick Burney in the playoffs, scrimmaged Bird and Merrill Robertson, played Matoaca with Shaun Gill and Matt Farrior, Varina with Kevin Lewis, Cordell Roane, Michael Robinson, and Co, but to me NO ONE was better than Dale that year. DC Gallon, Davis Twins, Kevin Tucker at FB, Rudi Johnson at RB, Ocassio Ruffin the bowling ball backup RB, we made the mistake of playing Dale for our Homecoming and they kicked our tails up and down the field. I knew Dale had the goods to win it all, but they lost a close game to Varina in the regional final. Two of the most physical teams I played in HS were Dale and Varina.

No Bird in 1998 Playoffs it was Godwin, Petersburg, Atlee, and Varina

Since you were in HS the same time I was playing couple of things you have wrong. The Bird back in 98 was Snelling but not Jason from the Falcons it was his older brother TJ who played at VMI. Bedwell was at Huguenot then with Aaron Alexander and all those guys.

Now I agree my Soph season 97 was LOADED in the region. Clover Hill even had athletes. We played Lee-Davis who had 2000 rusher Nick Burney in the playoffs, scrimmaged Bird and Merrill Robertson, played Matoaca with Shaun Gill and Matt Farrior, Varina with Kevin Lewis, Cordell Roane, Michael Robinson, and Co, but to me NO ONE was better than Dale that year. DC Gallon, Davis Twins, Kevin Tucker at FB, Rudi Johnson at RB, Ocassio Ruffin the bowling ball backup RB, we made the mistake of playing Dale for our Homecoming and they kicked our tails up and down the field. I knew Dale had the goods to win it all, but they lost a close game to Varina in the regional final. Two of the most physical teams I played in HS were Dale and Varina.

No Bird in 1998 Playoffs it was Godwin, Petersburg, Atlee, and Varina

Naw man... 1998 was Monacan vs hugenout.. i played in the game.. we had 2 td's called back and richard McFee was coach at heugenot. But that was D5... maybe D6 was what u mentioned... i graduated in 99 so my senior season was 1998 fall..

Ron curry and all those guys was the 97 fall season... either way the 97-98 2 uear run was the deepest HS football ever been IMO. Amazing to be a part of that. I played against all those ettrick and TD boys since elementary school. What memories.

@DEVILSLB99 who did u play for? U played for Clover hill in 97? We beat you on a 2 point conversion in OT that year at Monacan.. ur kicker made a 45 yarder to send it to OT.

It sounds unbelievable that Huguenot was ever 10-0. But, I've been around long enough that I remember when teams we don't give a second thought to were world beaters. I probably saw my first high school game around 1962 or 1963. A lot of the Richmond inner city schools that struggle today were often some of the best in the state.

2). Booker T Washington Plaza Apartments is in an old school on East Leigh Street that was named Booker T Washington. I'm guessing this was a school for black kids before desegregation? Does anyone know when it opened and closed?

Wow mbonape, that sure was a hell of a year for Va football. And being on the last team to beat Bird is a double edge sword. Something to be proud of, but it has sure been a long day spell for your Chiefs since then.

DP not sure about Meadowbrook or the other school. Yeah the talent was insane... hampton won the state championship 4x while I was in High school. Ron curry scored 186 TD's total at hampton and was national player of the year. They dominated and were number 1 in the nation including all the private schools. Hugenout kept getting disqualified for violations. They were loaded though. David Terrell was a manchild. They finally played hampton after beating my team 28-22. They played at VUU and hampton won the year after Ron curry graduated... who was his replacement??? Marcus hagans tht played for uva and in the league.. hampton won by about 3 TD's.. had a few other nfl players on there team too.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Naw man... 1998 was Monacan vs hugenout.. i played in the game.. we had 2 td's called back and richard McFee was coach at heugenot. But that was D5... maybe D6 was what u mentioned... i graduated in 99 so my senior season was 1998 fall..

Ron curry and all those guys was the 97 fall season... either way the 97-98 2 uear run was the deepest HS football ever been IMO. Amazing to be a part of that. I played against all those ettrick and TD boys since elementary school. What memories.

@DEVILSLB99 who did u play for? U played for Clover hill in 97? We beat you on a 2 point conversion in OT that year at Monacan.. ur kicker made a 45 yarder to send it to OT.
I played at Hopewell I was all metro and the whole nine. I was referencing D6 and in D5 that year ya'll lost to Huguenot and we lost to PH on a FG with no time remaining. I was just naming some of the teams I remembered playing throughout my time in HS. It was a great time for HS football back then. Talent level was CRAZY. I remember some great teams. I graduated in 2000 which made 99 my last season. Thus why I say what I say about Coach Henderson I started playing with Jim in the 8th grade on JV I moved up to Varsity as a 9th grader and played with his older brother Trey for 2 years also. Trey was a hell of a QB/SS and is on the staff at W&M. So, I root for Monacan my brothers graduated from there and my little brother was the FB on the team that went 9-1 and didn't make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I played at Hopewell I was all metro and the whole nine. I was referencing D6 and in D5 that year ya'll lost to Huguenot and we lost to PH on a FG with no time remaining. I was just naming some of the teams I remembered playing throughout my time in HS. It was a great time for HS football back then. Talent level was CRAZY. I remember some great teams. I graduated in 2000 which made 99 my last season. Thus why I say what I say about Coach Henderson I started playing with Jim in the 8th grade on JV I moved up to Varsity as a 9th grader and played with his older brother Trey for 2 years also. Trey was a hell of a QB/SS and is on the staff at W&M. So, I root for Monacan my brothers graduated from there and my little brother was the FB on the team that went 9-1 and didn't make the playoffs.

Yeah I was at that 2003 game.. I know we talked about the playoff formats on the other thread. That 2003 Monacan team was probably the best team in the area maybe ever to NOT make the playoffs. 9-1 and I think it was a 17-16 Bird win after blocking an XP. But back then as you know only 4 teams in 804 5A in the playoffs. I think if you won your district you were automatic too so sometimes worse teams would make it. Thats why I am so positive that we need to do everything we can to make sure that quality teams make the playoffs even if it means a few average to below average make it. Can't have 9-1 teams with a 1 point loss not making the playoffs anymore.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Yeah I was at that 2003 game.. I know we talked about the playoff formats on the other thread. That 2003 Monacan team was probably the best team in the area maybe ever to NOT make the playoffs. 9-1 and I think it was a 17-16 Bird win after blocking an XP. But back then as you know only 4 teams in 804 5A in the playoffs. I think if you won your district you were automatic too so sometimes worse teams would make it. Thats why I am so positive that we need to do everything we can to make sure that quality teams make the playoffs even if it means a few average to below average make it. Can't have 9-1 teams with a 1 point loss not making the playoffs anymore.
I think it was a three way tie for first and Bird got in at 8-2 because they won whatever the tiebreaker was and Monacan was left home. My brother is salty about that to this day. He's 30 now

The score was 14-13. Bird was actually 8-2 that year, but the loss to eventual state champions, Hopewell, still gave Bird enough rating points to get the district's bid, even over a 9-1 Monacan team. MOnacan's out of district opponents were 2-8, 5-5, and 8-2. Bird's were 9-1, 7-3, and 8-2. When you added in the boatload of points Bird got for beating Monacan, they just edged them out in the points.

It was terrible.

The score was 14-13. Bird was actually 8-2 that year, but the loss to eventual state champions, Hopewell, still gave Bird enough rating points to get the district's bid, even over a 9-1 Monacan team. MOnacan's out of district opponents were 2-8, 5-5, and 8-2. Bird's were 9-1, 7-3, and 8-2. When you added in the boatload of points Bird got for beating Monacan, they just edged them out in the points.

It was terrible.

Do you remember if it was a blocked XP or block Field goal? Either way I know they ran it back for a TD or XP for the win... That's the typa stuff that happens to Bird. Its incredible.

It was terrible.

Do you remember if it was a blocked XP or block field goal? Either way I know they ran it back for a TD or XP for the win... That's the typa stuff that happens to Bird. Its incredible.

@DEVILSLB99 Both TJ and Jason Snelling were on that 1998 Bird team both on Varsity. I know there other brother John pretty well. Also, I know we were trying to figure out the coach his name was Ron Paquette.

Meadowbrook opened in 1963.

DP not sure about Meadowbrook or the other school. Yeah the talent was insane... hampton won the state championship 4x while I was in High school. Ron curry scored 186 TD's total at hampton and was national player of the year. They dominated and were number 1 in the nation including all the private schools. Hugenout kept getting disqualified for violations. They were loaded though. David Terrell was a manchild. They finally played hampton after beating my team 28-22. They played at VUU and hampton won the year after Ron curry graduated... who was his replacement??? Marcus hagans tht played for uva and in the league.. hampton won by about 3 TD's.. had a few other nfl players on there team too.
Hampton (12-1) beat Huguenot(13-0) 38-8

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT